Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you feel about homosexuality in a religious view?

29K views 219 replies 53 participants last post by  CuddleBug 
#1 ·
I totally have 100% respect for gay people and married gay couples.
However, growing up in a catholic high school, I've been told that if a gay couple is married, then that is not exactly the correct thing.

Me, I believe God wants everyone to be with whoever they love and makes them happy, whether it's the same sex or different sex.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I agree with you.

Have you read any of Lorna Byrne's books? She is a Catholic woman in Ireland who sees angels. She says that homosexuality is part of God's creation, and that she sees angels wrapping cords of love around homosexual couples just like they do heterosexual couples.

I don't get all the hatred of gays, either. I don't know what people are scared of.

#3 ·
I respect everyone, and I do not look down on gay people.

However, if you're looking for Gods(Jesus Christ, from the bible) perspective, its pretty clear in the bible, and any post otherwise is talking about a different God. The bible is clear that it is an 'abomination' and sinful. God created man and woman to be together.

Before the haters come out, just realize that I'm simply replying to the question in hand and not spewing religious dogma everywhere when people didn't ask for it.

Cheers

#4 ·
The bible is clear that it is an 'abomination' and sinful. God created man and woman to be together.
Zildjian, do you know any gay people? Do you really think they want to be with the opposite sex?

They are who they are, and they are attracted to their same sex. You can't change that. It is what it is.

#6 ·
To the OP. It depends on what religion you're talking about.
In the Judeo Christian Bible, Homosexuality is a sin.
But honestly It is nothing more special Then any other sexual sin.
I don't think it's any bigger of a deal then all the nutjobs out they're screwing up there heterosexual relationships.
BTW, I know several gays And my best friend was gay Just out of high school.
Posted via Mobile Device

#11 ·
If we are talking about Christians, some are very open to homosexuals, some are tolerant in love, and some openly dislike them. Several denominations are making room for gays to worship and serve in church...while other denominations are intent to show them love, but still believe it is sinful...and other groups are the ones we see on tv holding signs about how God hates them. The issue is mainly based on how they traditionally interpret Biblical Scripture regarding homosexuality...and there is no clear-cut agreement. There is presently a lot of research into looking into the meaning of those passages (exegesis) then and properly applying them today (hermeneutics). One has to study and weigh the issues for him and herself...as religious conviction is a very personal matter and should never be compulsory...but at the same time, times are a' changin', for as homosexuality has been taken up as a civil rights issue...it will likely change the church landscape.

#12 ·
I agree with Conan. The bible does call it out, but no more so than any other sin. It also makes it crystal clear that EVERYONE is a sinner. So IMO hetero sinner Bob has about as much room to bag on gay sinner Frank as the other way around.

TLDR: unless someone's hurting you, mind your own business and let God sort it out.

#13 ·
I do not condemn them. However, the lifestyle contradicts the one major purpose of marriage - procreation. The day sex between two men or two women can produce offspring, then the gay lifestyle will be deemed right & natural. Till then, no one was born to be gay...people just chose that (twisted) lifestlyle!
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 · (Edited)
While the Bible certainly does not condone it(both Old and New Testament) I will defer and adhere to my Churches stance on it because I do care greatly for my Church. And if it is indeed sinful, then that's something that they, in time, can talk to God about and sort out! And while the Heavenly Father has shown Himself to be a most loving God, I would feel remiss if he were to condemn them for their actions, given His deep abiding love for all of his children.

But from a strict personal standpoint, I think that gays are entitled to the same basic rights, as well as legal pitfalls, that heterosexual couples are. In any event, it's just not something that I would ever condone in either my or my family's presence.

#19 ·
I was raised in a chruch that condemned being gay, believing prayer could cure it. The as an adult I worked with a few gay people. They have been the nicest, compassionate individuals I have met. They are now close friends, that have been there for me in the hardest times of my life. Ironically, this is when the church that I attended and served all my life, turned its back on me.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
All of you who are against gay marriage, or disapproving of gays in general . . .do you have children?

If you do, and they turn out to be gay, don't you want them to have the same rights and protections as anyone else in society?

#28 ·
That's fine, but if you believe the bible is the word of God, then the old testament clearly forbids it, no matter what jesus said about tolerance, this is a pretty massive hurdle.

I'm not partisan by the way, but this sounds like picking and choosing.

Better not to source one's morality from books, maybe

#41 ·
He is funny, isn't he? He is hilarious over on that date rape thread . . .:D

#45 ·
Our oldest is a christian, me & him disagree on Homosexuality..in one aspect anyway...in how they handle it... He believes they are born this way... but he feels it is wrong behavior so therefor these men should hold their lusts and struggle to be sexless.. I do not agree with this... if it is not hurting anyone..they are consenting adults... I feel only a cruel God would expect them to live like that, if they were born this way...

That'd be like us trying to lay down our Romantic passions towards the opposite sex, we are wired that way....some things are just too powerful !! ...Might as well hang that one up...it's going to have it's expression in us.

....A child molester is different (he is wired to lust after young children for some reason) some things need restrained.. of course..

As far as sin, if we want to go there.... we all sin... what of gluttony...boy is some of us guilty of that one!

I do not understand many things...why God allows children to be born "Intersexed" (Physically neither male nor female OR both & Doctor plays God & corrects) Intersex - Wikipedia , WHY Children are born with down syndrome (seems so unfair)...

I know nothing about what some claim about DNA strands, etc. I lean towards alot of grace towards these people. (unless they are willing spreading Aids with careless behavior... but I would feel that way with anyone, drug abuser, heterosexuals, I would see them all in the same light.

Also I QUESTION the original words & translations in the Sodom & Gomorrah story pointing exclusively to "Homosexuality", it definitely was other sins also....which rarely get pointed out for some reason.....

In Ezekiel 16:49-50, it says ....."Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty and committed abomination before Me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit."
It was also .... 1) Pride 2) Gluttony 3) Laziness & 4) Not caring for the Poor .

The New Testament also speaks of "the sins" of Sodom and Gomarrah in Matthew 10:12-15; Mark 6:10-11 & Luke 10:10-12.

#46 ·
Our oldest is a christian, me & him disagree on Homosexuality..in one aspect anyway...in how they handle it... He believes they are born this way... but he feels it is wrong behavior so therefor these men should hold their lusts and struggle to be sexless.
You mean like catholic priests struggle to be sexless?

I'm afraid they may just find a new target for said sexuality, and woe betide when they lose the struggle, which they will lose.

Even St. Augustine was still visited by 'Succubi' in his dreams.

#47 ·
no one is born gay! like begets like. Straight begets straight. Gay begets...oh sorry - nothing. Why do you feel homosexuality is ok but not bestiality & paedophilia? A person will feel strange passion/desires at one/many times, but does that mean you should fulfill them? If a 12yr old seduces you, will you have sex with him/her? Or if you love your dog and it has a big/thick erect ****, will you have sex with your dog? Instill in a child to KNOW that being gay is NOT an option, so that when s/he feels those passions, s/he knows not to entertain them.
Posted via Mobile Device

#50 ·
Like begets like.....prove it. Every gay person I know was created by a heterosexual reproductive process. I have not seen a shred of proof for any specific cause of homosexuality. Therefore I have to conclude it just happens sometimes.....ie people are born that way.

When did you decide to feel heterosexual attraction? I didn't. It just happened. I was born this way.

Pedophilia and beastiality violate the rights of the sexual partner. Homosexual practice between consenting adults doesn't.

The notion of installing in your child......I have seen it tried. It doesn't work, not in every case, anyway.

#48 ·
Actually it's not about what we THINK or FEEL but what God says in His Holy Scripture.

I would want all to marry and be in love but it is not about MY opinion, but what GOD has designed as HIS perfect union, husband and wife. Whose to argue with God?

Holy Scripture is without sin, therefore homosexuality which God condemns in Holy Scripture IS sin.

That being said I do feel that a lot of Christians hate on homosexuals, which is very wrong, they are actually then sinning. There is a big difference between hating the sin and hating the sinner.

This is not a popular opinion, but who can argue with the Holy Word of God?

Reactions: silentghost
#75 ·
Actually it's not about what we THINK or FEEL but what God says in His Holy Scripture.

...who can argue with the Holy Word of God?

Uh, would that be the KJV? or the Roman Catholic Bible? or the Talmud? or the Qu'uron? or one of the HUNDREDS of translations of the Christian Bible into English alone (not to mention all the other world languages)?

The original question is 'What do you feel about homosexuality in a religious view' and my answer would have to be that I try very hard NOT to hold 'religious' views!

There could be a God, or gods, or a race of gods...I don't know. Unless s/he/they tap me on the shoulder and start speaking DIRECTLY TO ME, I'm going to continue to believe that everything written down on his/her/their behalf is errant human interpretation or what some errant human(s) believe(s).

I am going to continue to exercise my human intellect (which is what is supposed to put us above other 'animals') and decide for myself what makes sense logically and lovingly. If it turns out I'm wrong, God will, no doubt, have free reign to smite me as s/he/they see fit!

My belief is that I should use my own intelligence, inquisitiveness, humanness to try to understand, support, increase the good in myself and others. If that means I do not follow the dictates of others, then so be it.

Others are, OF COURSE, free as well to do as they see fit!

#49 ·
Quote of Simply Amorous
I do not understand many things...why God allows children to be born "Intersexed" (Physically neither male nor female OR both & Doctor plays God & corrects) Intersex - Wikipedia , WHY Children are born with down syndrome (seems so unfair)...

SA (My Internet buddy)
These are the kinds of things that I do not understand that challenge me. Frankly, from my judgment it is just flat unfair.

The challenge comes in when I use my judgment and then consider what the scriptures say. SA your words above give me enough trouble but then I am more troubled because I know about the book of Job in the Old Testament. Here is this guy Job doing everything right and he gets hammered with God allowing the evil one to take from Job his health, wealth and children! God did restore him but what about the first set of dead children?

If God made homosexuals to desire sex with the same sex then what do you expect? God makes a dog and it is no surprise that it barks! I do not understand the homosexual thing!

I was helped by a man called Kirby on these type issues. His son had run into his burning house to save his 1 year old son. The firemen tried to get him to come out but he was frantically looking for his son. He died looking for his 1 year old son who was taken out by his wife earlier.

Kirby was asked about God right after his son’s death. Kirby said “God is sovereign” and said no more. Kirby was not trying to be spiritually correct in front of people he was dead pan serious. I watched Kirby for the next 15-20- years as he worked me from time to time and he never changed his mind; he maintained that God is sovereign.

Kirby did not understand and it all seemed so unfair but he said “God is Sovereign” That to me is faith under fire and also demonstrates that Kirby takes faith over his emotions and his own ability to understand.

Kirby is not an eloquent man and is slow of speech and is not deemed as one of the brighter men in sociality. However, he is a mountain of a man to me. I hope that I can past a test like that if it ever comes my way.

As to what the Kirby story and this thread have in common I would say this. I do not understand homosexuality and I am going to try and be like Kirby and just say that God is Sovereign. I have faith that God is just and have also concluded that our life is more about glorifying God than it is our pleasures. I am still working on living my life to match my conclusions.

One thing that I do understand about God. He wants me to love my neighbor as myself and that is what I am working on. That is also my approach to homosexuality

I love SAs posts because she always challenges me with substance! In addition she adds knowledge to my scripture understanding like her quote below

In Ezekiel 16:49-50, it says ....."Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty and committed abomination before me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit."
It was also.... 1) Pride 2) Gluttony 3) Laziness & 4) Not caring for the Poor .

#78 · (Edited)
SA (My Internet buddy)
These are the kinds of things that I do not understand that challenge me. Frankly, from my judgment it is just flat unfair.

The challenge comes in when I use my judgment and then consider what the scriptures say. SA your words above give me enough trouble but then I am more troubled because I know about the book of Job in the Old Testament. Here is this guy Job doing everything right and he gets hammered with God allowing the evil one to take from Job his health, wealth and children! God did restore him but what about the first set of dead children?

If God made homosexuals to desire sex with the same sex then what do you expect? God makes a dog and it is no surprise that it barks! I do not understand the homosexual thing!

I was helped by a man called Kirby on these type issues. His son had run into his burning house to save his 1 year old son. The firemen tried to get him to come out but he was frantically looking for his son. He died looking for his 1 year old son who was taken out by his wife earlier.

Kirby was asked about God right after his son’s death. Kirby said “God is sovereign” and said no more. Kirby was not trying to be spiritually correct in front of people he was dead pan serious. I watched Kirby for the next 15-20- years as he worked me from time to time and he never changed his mind; he maintained that God is sovereign.

Kirby did not understand and it all seemed so unfair but he said “God is Sovereign” That to me is faith under fire and also demonstrates that Kirby takes faith over his emotions and his own ability to understand.

Kirby is not an eloquent man and is slow of speech and is not deemed as one of the brighter men in sociality. However, he is a mountain of a man to me. I hope that I can past a test like that if it ever comes my way.

As to what the Kirby story and this thread have in common I would say this. I do not understand homosexuality and I am going to try and be like Kirby and just say that God is Sovereign. I have faith that God is just and have also concluded that our life is more about glorifying God than it is our pleasures. I am still working on living my life to match my conclusions.

One thing that I do understand about God. He wants me to love my neighbor as myself and that is what I am working on. That is also my approach to homosexuality

I love SAs posts because she always challenges me with substance! In addition she adds knowledge to my scripture understanding like her quote below

In Ezekiel 16:49-50, it says ....."Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy. And they were haughty and committed abomination before me; therefore I took them away as I saw fit."
It was also.... 1) Pride 2) Gluttony 3) Laziness & 4) Not caring for the Poor .[/SIZE]
Hey Blunt, you are a Humble Christian who invites a spiritual challenge, LOVE YOUR TYPE....you listen, you don't immediately resort to scripture defense....you do your best to find understanding when things don't make a whole lot of sense... show mercy, A loving God would want this...

Your friend Kirby... it's hard for me to understand...although his spiritual beliefs brought him comfort, I can't see me reacting like that under those same circumstances at least not at 1st...I'd be very Angry that my son was lost...the WHY WHY WHY would be on my lips for some time.....the waste of that event, or blaming what led up to it, learning from it anyway...what his son did was out of pure love, why did he have to be taken, it is so very cruel... when others escape drunk driving & things where they brought the near death upon themselves.

For someone like me.....it is even more comforting to believe there is no God over believing He cares about us....then allowing stuff like THAT TO HAPPEN... it's too hard to swallow...

When I read Job the 1st time, probably in my teens, I remember understanding his wife...what was her words >> "Curse God and die" ....honestly I think this would be a normal 1st reaction to most people... Angry with God for unfair pain & catastrophes coming upon them..and not letting up....It takes a very grounded believer to have the Faith & resolve as your friend... to expect this from all of us.. it's not going to happen....we have to work through it ...and this is NOT easy at all.

I don't have the answers to these questions... but I am happy about one thing... that I am not a homosexual -because frankly I would want nothing at all to do with christians/ the Bible... feeling I couldn't enjoy my sexuality, that would really tick me off. If my moral base was to be with one person and not spread infections... live & let be...

I purposely made our oldest son sit & watch this movie...

Prayers for Bobby: Movies & TV True story... this Mother sure learned the hard way... which person do you think had more Compassion.. the Mother who brow beat her son with scripture & shamed him -told him God can help him change... or the one she became , after he killed himself to speak for these homosexuales.. who were -as I still see it... born this way... Gotta agree with Lady Ga ga on that one...

Sigourney Weaver stars in this emotional true story about a deeply religious suburban housewife and mother who struggles to accept her son’s homosexuality. Mary Griffith (Weaver) is a devout Christian who has raised her children with a conservative religious perspective. When her son, Bobby (Ryan Kelley), reveals that he is gay to his older brother, the entire family dynamic is forever shifted. While Bobby’s father and siblings slowly come to terms with his homosexuality, Mary turns to her steadfast beliefs in an attempt to “cure” her son.

Alienated and quickly becoming more detached from the safety of his close-knit family, Bobby’s depression drives him to take drastic – and tragic – actions. PRAYERS FOR BOBBY is the multiple Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award nominated true story of a mother torn between her loyalties, challenged by her faith, and moved by a tragedy that would change her life, and the lives of others, forever. Based on the book Prayers for Bobby by Leroy Aarons.

You mean like catholic priests struggle to be sexless?

I'm afraid they may just find a new target for said sexuality, and woe betide when they lose the struggle, which they will lose.

Even St. Augustine was still visited by 'Succubi' in his dreams.
People are GOING to express their sexuality... this is what we are made of... My mother likes to read non fiction books- she has read a couple on the horrendous coverups of corruption in the Catholic Church....Priests getting Nuns pregnant...babies buried bones underneath churchs back in those days... what goes on behind the stained Glass windows... and this is who come confess too!@#$ It's totally absurd...what goes on in darkness will be exposed to the light... I don't think our sexuality should have restrains on it -when we are healthy normal breathing souls who enjoy physical touch & emotional bonding.... .. Monks ..and all these...taking vows they can not keep, which is pure torture.. I was reading how many "hail marys" a Monk has to do for masturbation, etc... Oh my goodness..... I see no point in this ...LIKE AT ALL.... but that's just my personal opinion. I am pretty conservative in many ways .. but some things go beyond reason.....

The whole celibacy vow thing had much to do with transferring of land...

Catholic Priests, Celibacy, and Marriage: Should Catholic Priests Marry or Remain Celibate?Another factor in the push for clerical celibacy was the problematic relationship the Catholic Church had with real estate and inherited land. Priests and bishops were not just religious leaders, they also had political power based on the land they controlled. When they died, the land might go to church or the man's heirs — and naturally the church wanted to keep the land in order to retain political power.

The best way to keep the land was to ensure that no rivals could claim it; keeping the clergy celibate and unmarried was the easiest way to accomplish this. Making celibacy a religious obligation was also the best way to ensure that the clergy obeyed. Catholic apologists deny that such worldly concerns were part of the decision to impose celibacy on priests, but it can't be a coincidence that the final push towards celibacy occurred when conflict over land were increasing.

#77 ·
I do believe in God, and I am a Christian. I also have a mind of my own and I believe God gave me a conscience for a reason. Each sect/denomination of Christianity has a slightly (sometimes radically) different take on scripture. Scripture may be infallible, but man's interpretation of it is not. I believe God gave me a conscience to help me sort out the difference.

My conscience says if two consenting adults want to engage in some activity that doesn't harm anyone else, that's between them.

#81 ·
Abraham Lincoln's quotes
The subject presented in the memorial is one upon which I have thought much for weeks past, and I may even say for months. I am approached with the most opposite opinions and advice, and that by religious men, who are equally certain that they represent the Divine will. I am sure that either the one or the other class is mistaken in the belief, and perhaps in some respects both. I hope it will not be irreverent for me to say that if it is probable that God would reveal his will to others, on a point so connected with my duty, it might be supposed he would reveal it directly to me; for, unless I am more deceived in myself than I often am, it is my earnest desire to know the will of Providence in this matter. And if I can learn what it is I will do it! These are not, however, the days of miracles, and I suppose it will be granted that I am not to expect a direct revelation. I must study the plain physical facts of the case, ascertain what is possible and learn what appears to be wise and right. The subject is difficult, and good men do not agree.
Reply to Chicago Christians on September 13, 1862 (CWAL V:420)

I am glad of this interview, and glad to know that I have your sympathy and prayers. We are indeed going through a great trial -- a fiery trial. In the very responsible position in which I happen to be placed, being a humble instrument in the hands of our Heavenly Father, as I am, and as we all are, to work out his great purposes, I have desired that all my works and acts may be according to his will, and that it might be so, I have sought his aid -- but if after endeavoring to do my best in the light which he affords me, I find my efforts fail, I must believe that for some purpose unknown to me, He wills it otherwise. If I had had my way, this war would never have been commenced; If I had been allowed my way this war would have been ended before this, but we find it still continues; and we must believe that He permits it for some wise purpose of his own, mysterious and unknown to us; and though with our limited understandings we may not be able to comprehend it, yet we cannot but believe, that he who made the world still governs it.
Reply to Eliza Gurney on October 26, 1862 (CWAL V:478)

And while it has not pleased the Almighty to bless us with a return of peace, we can but press on, guided by the best light He gives, trusting that in His own good time, and wise way, all will yet be well.
Annual Message to Congress on December 1, 1862 (CWAL V:518)

Slowly getting wiser because we do not share the same beliefs please don't insult me by assuming I do not read. I am a very educated woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.