Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Site Upgrade and Look Feedback Thread

23K views 132 replies 56 participants last post by  jmsclayton 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

We're proud to announce that the new site look and feel has been completed for TalkAboutMarriage.com! Our designers and software engineers have been hard at work on this for several months. It's designed to modernize the site, make it easier to use, and to make it more attractive to new members and guests that visit .

The forum software we use, vBulletin, by default is not designed to be friendly to the eyes or to look modern. We went down to the nuts and bolts of the forum software and templates, and have done a ground up approach. There are several things you will notice now that the new design is live.

1) The site should be significantly faster.

We have applied every modern technique to speed up page load and tested with all modern browsers. We want the forum to be extremely fast and easy to use.

2) The site will work much better in mobile and tablet views

We've started applying responsive design, and have designed and tested against android and iPhone devices, Android tablets, and iPads. If you are sitting at your desk or on your couch, or just on your phone, the site will work much better than it did before, and load fast. We are still working on improving the experience even further in the months to come, but we wanted to launch this as quickly as we could.

3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join TalkAboutMarriage.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "TalkAboutMarriage.com Classic/Pink/Blue".

4) Users will be able to register with Facebook, Twitter or Google+

5) The side bar can be hidden in your user options.

Click on my profile / user cp at the top right.

- click on edit your details on the left.
- Look for Show Sidebar on Forum Pages under Additional Information.
- Click disable and save.

6) Another new great feature is the @Mention user plugin. You can tag members by simply using the @ symbol.

7) Drag and Drop image uploader

We hope you enjoy it, and if you have any questions on the design, please let us know, feedback is appreciated.

If there are any issues you see. Post them up here and we will get them worked out.

Thanks,
-Your TalkAboutMarriage.com Team.

See less See more
#5 ·
Where is that? (The Blue)

Overall it's a tremendous upgrade.. the site has needed one for a long time. Nice job.

I'm not a fan of the guy chasing the upset girl with flowers or bending down on his knee to propose. You don't even see a woman with her arm around her husband. The graphics pander to the idea of cold, demanding women and needy, hapless husbands. Kind of goofy and conventional.

#7 ·
3) The homepage is bright, crisp and clean.

We wanted the first page users saw to look beautiful, so that when a new guest arrives and is debating whether to join TalkAboutMarriage.com, they see a beautiful doorway, and they walk right in.

As a forum member you can choose to use the new design (which is on by default) or you can go back to the old design. We ask that you give it a chance and see if you like it. Like anything new, it will be unfamiliar at first, but we suspect that the speed difference will make you want to use this new one. If you do decide to switch back, the link is at the bottom left of each forum page, you pull down and select the theme called "TalkAboutMarriage.com Classic/Pink/Blue".

#8 ·
It's good admin is trying to keep things fresh by doing maintenance and upgrades. Personally I don't use many site functions or features, so I re-bookmarked the forum index and changed back to the classic display (at the bottom of the page).

Is there a way to disable or customize the Tag display? It takes up too much real estate, I'm my opinion. Id like to remove it so the navigation links, profile box with message notifications, and handy link banner are all closer to the topics.

Otherwise, I'll adjust to the change easily enough.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry, I meant the User Tag List box. It's just a minor inconvenience and a minor criticism.

Edit: Jeff - please disregard. I had toggled over to the Classic style. Once I changed to alternative everything is just fine. Actually I might research the new functions and give them a try. Thanks for the upgrade.

#29 ·
I thought i had come to the wrong site. Then i remembered you were making some changes. I have to admit, I am not to sure, but then again i am not very good with change, so for me its getting used to the changes. Not going to give in tho and revert to the old TAM. I think i am going with give it a chance and get used to it :).

Reactions: VS Admin
#31 ·
Just noticed that there's not a full page index of all the forums like there was before (unless I'm missing it). Just subsections now. I do like the forum jump but, IMO, it would be better located at the top of each page instead of the bottom.

Reactions: Devastated an lost
#34 ·
Is there a way to get rid of the "Setup Progress" box at the top of the main forum list page? I've been on here for years. I'm as set up as I want to be. But a quarter of the page where all the subforums are listed is eaten up by a large box telling me I'm only 60% set up.

#38 ·
Here's something I've wondered about for a while...

Is there any way to add a "First Post" column to each of the forum indices?

A little off-topic, perhaps, but hey... figured I'd ask.

#43 ·
I HATE the new color scheme more than I hated the old color scheme. Apparently I am too stupid to figure out where to go to either revert to the old style or to change the color scheme. Someone please post clear detailed instructions click by click how to find those controls!

#48 ·
Thank you for giving us the option to choose the colors, not a fan of the pepto pink, although the blue makes me feel like I'm at a baby shower, or some kind of spring wedding. But I will happily take it. It is going to take some getting use to, but seeing how much faster and organized it is it is pretty cool. Sort of like someone reorganized your fridge or cabinet. I have to see thorugh my tablet or the phone to see how much has changed. I think some people are reading into the graphics a little too much ahahha lord knows I have seen far worse. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.