Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attention - Password and Security Update

20K views 137 replies 50 participants last post by  VS Admin 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

See less See more
#2 ·
I have set up a temporary id since I did not receive the email to reset my password and can no longer login to my account (userid abc123wife). I still have the same email I used to set up my account so that is not the issue. I have received notifications of PMs to that same email in the last few weeks. I have tried to use the "forgot password" twice and have not gotten an email that way either. How do I reset my password for my original account?

#7 ·
This is on an Android device.

Keep in mind that before I did this, it kept trying to load threads but was not able to, then it kicked me out of TAM and back to the home screen in the app, which has the "following" forums screen, which showed TAM.

I then tapped the "Talk About Marriage" button, and it asked for my login credentials.

When I entered the credentials, it did not allow access, but automatically brought me to a screen with a link that said "reset my password" or something similar. It was late. I was tired...lol

I tapped it, and entered the new password.

#10 ·
I'm in an iPhone and click on TAM and do not get a prompt to change password. I've asked 5 times to reset password on my Mac and only rec'd the link once- and it doesn't work.

Any ideas? I don't see how to change password on TapaTalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Just did it the old email way and it worked just fine.

Reactions: dash74
#12 ·
It finally worked for me as well. I never received the email indicated in the OP, and I did the whole reset password thing a couple of times last night and again this morning. Never received any response, until I tried it again about half an hour ago...so me thinks something was not responding on the back end, and finally cleared up...

Reactions: Buddy400
#13 ·
The email account I use for Tam is one of 2 junk email accounts. The account for TAM is one I rarely ever check because I rarely ever use it or need it.

But I have another junk email account that I have used for other sites that required an email address and that email is the account that is associated with a user named Firewood. I am not firewood and I do not know who or how my junk email account #2 came to be associated with this Firewood person. I did a search on this Firewood person and it came back as invalid.

Now to further complicate this, that second junk email associated with Firewood sent me a notice stating my account had had an attempted log in from Chechnya which Google blocked. So I had to change the password for that email account.

So WTF?

#14 ·
Well due to my anti sarcasm vow I can't say what I want to say. I had to wait over 12 hours and apply for a rest at least twice. My guess is that the system was overwhelmed. I wondered what I had posted that I was permabanned without warning or explanation. But it doesn't beat Anon Pink's Story.

#15 ·
And now I can't remember my new password for TAM or for the junk email account that I had to reset because some dude in Chechnya tried to break in.... FVCK! I hate dealing with password resets!

So I'm afraid to log out of TAM because who the hell knows what will happen next!

Reactions: Kylie84
#22 ·
Is this safe? I can't imagine storing all my passwords, ssnumber, credit card info....all on an app that could be at some point vulnerable to being hacked????

#19 · (Edited)
Well that sucked. But hey... at least I didn't have to register a new account (I was going to go w/ "Grumpalufagus". :D )

Thanks @farsidejunky for the Android Tapatalk client tip. Never received the initial email or any of the numerous "reset password" emails that I'd requested via browser (tried mobile and desktop Safari, Chrome, and Firefox) or the iOS Tapatalk client. Installed the Android client onto my Moto G3 a few minutes ago, went through the process, received the email immediately.

Backend integration is a bit lacking, IMO. That or a daemon isn't running or is acting wonky.
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·
I was finally able to reset my password using the "forgot password" method that had previously failed all morning. But between my attempts, I also added the tapatalk app to my iPad (but didn't use it yet) and updated to IOS 9.3.2 (from 7.something?). So with all that, I don't know why it suddenly worked, but it did!

So now, how do I delete my tempid account?

#31 ·
Finally!

It would have been helpful to have had better updates (especially today). I only found this thread last night when I tried to log in after being off for a few hours (my iPad won't let me stay logged in most of the time). I had no idea passwords were being reset. I emailed last night and didn't get a response. Then I read this morning about resetting my password -- which never occurred to me -- and life is back to normal.

#33 ·
I never received an email telling me about the password change. I came on this morning to find out that my old password no longer worked and followed the information to obtain a new email. Then I saw this thread.

Reactions: MattMatt
#37 ·
@Yungster

This is "AT" Oldster replying.....thanks...I thought I got hacked...maybe by my wife or an Avatar from my home planet, Mars [4th planet from the Sun]. I thought they were on to me. After I outed Valerie Plame, I took a coveted Avatar from my Masters file and claim-jumped it [posting it on TAM].

I could not access my files. Please disregard my query to your Shadow-Refs.

Phewww. I feel better now. Tank Woo. SunCMars

#40 ·
Good evening
I'm afraid that the new requirements for a verifiable email account make it impossible or me to use this site in the future and maintain my anonymity. I appreciate all of the interesting discussions and and helpful advice on this forum.

My need for privacy is of course much less serious that that of the abused women who sometimes post here. I hope the admins find a way to balance the need for security against the need for privacy on a site like this.

Good bye and best wishes to all.
Richard Sharpe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.