Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womens March

17K views 196 replies 25 participants last post by  tech-novelist 
#1 ·
Any of the Ladies here go to the Women's March?

I had a small crew in DC that saw some of the activities...Damn

#4 ·
The crew was 2 males and 3 females...the inauguration kinda slowed down some punch-list activities...so they time to kill...from what they told me...it was more like mass confusion...or a political movement ran by the naked guy at the rave.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I didn't go, but I considered it. I've lived in the DC metro area for the last 13 years, and when you live here, you develop an aversion for protests and marches, because they happen all the time and they sometimes really **** with your everyday life, especially when one happens on a work day. And honestly, I was a little scared of violence-prone Trump supporters showing up, but that turned out to not be a problem.

I did go to the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear back whenever that was, and that will probably be the only rally/march I'll go to.

{Moderator Note: I spelled out the profanity. Please follow forum rules in regards to the profanity filter.

8. Filter Bypass/Obscenity: A profanity filter is in place and any attempts to bypass it are forbidden. You MAY type words that are filtered, as long as they are not abusive towards other quests or violate any other rules; however, you must allow the filter to do its job. Do NOT try to filter the word yourself and do not try to use creative spelling to bypass the profanity filter. Also, posting images of videos of obscene gestures, linking to obscene web sites, posting obscene or graphic descriptions of a decidedly adult nature, and violating a standard of decent behavior is not allowed.

February 21st is the deadline for full enforcement of the measure.

http://talkaboutmarriage.com/forum-guidelines/350914-posting-guidelines-forum-rules-2016-a.html }

#45 · (Edited by Moderator)
I didn't go, but I considered it. I've lived in the DC metro area for the last 13 years, and when you live here, you develop an aversion for protests and marches, because they happen all the time and they sometimes really **** with your everyday life, especially when one happens on a work day. And honestly, I was a little scared of violence-prone Trump supporters showing up, but that turned out to not be a problem.

I did go to the Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear back whenever that was, and that will probably be the only rally/march I'll go to.
I think the violence showed the day of swearing in. The non-Trump supporters. The same that block roads, break windows, burn business' and cars. Fun loving folk. Yeah, that was them. Violence prone Trump supporters. Are kidding me?

The Right to Life women were NOT invited. They had to do their own thing a week later.

Berkley is in flames. No Trump supporters there.

{Moderator Note: I spelled out the profanity. Please follow forum rules in regards to the profanity filter.

8. Filter Bypass/Obscenity: A profanity filter is in place and any attempts to bypass it are forbidden. You MAY type words that are filtered, as long as they are not abusive towards other quests or violate any other rules; however, you must allow the filter to do its job. Do NOT try to filter the word yourself and do not try to use creative spelling to bypass the profanity filter. Also, posting images of videos of obscene gestures, linking to obscene web sites, posting obscene or graphic descriptions of a decidedly adult nature, and violating a standard of decent behavior is not allowed.

February 21st is the deadline for full enforcement of the measure.

http://talkaboutmarriage.com/forum-guidelines/350914-posting-guidelines-forum-rules-2016-a.html }

#10 ·
There is no way that I would attend such marches, where they had vile speakers, promoted killing babies among other awful things, demonstrated against a democratically elected world leader and generally didn't act in a ladylike fashion at all. They didn't represent the normal average hardworking ladies/mothers/wives, and only a very very tiny percentage went.
I dont know anyone who went or who would want to go, and women in the west are equal anyway so they have NOTHING to complain about.

#19 ·
It thought the messages were numerous and very disorganized, and when narrowed down to the crux of the matter, I think that entire march was mainly a pro-abortion march.
There's a BIG difference between being pro-abortion and being pro-choice. The choice to have an abortion is never taken lightly, and is emotionally very difficult. To categorize or re-name pro-choice as being "pro-abortion" is really a disservice.

The pro-choice movement is about providing access to safe, legal medical services/procedures. Prior to the passing of Roe V. Wade, 5,000 women died annually from illegal abortions. (Estimates of total illegal abortions prior to Roe v. Wade range from 200,000 to over a million per year; the range is crazy wide because many illegal procedures are unreported, because they were --duh-- illegal.) That number has dropped to 0.6 deaths in 100,000 procedures since Roe v. Wade was passed. Source.

Pro-choice is also about education and access to birth control; the pro-choice movement wants people to be educated about birth control and safer sex so that men and women can choose if and when to start a family. Studies have shown that adequate sex education and access to birth control reduces 1) teen pregnancy and 2) the overall abortion rate.

Pro-choice people don't want to kill babies. That claim is nothing more than pro-life rhetoric and propaganda, designed to vilify and dehumanize people who are pro-choice.

#22 ·
I saw the womens march as a way of saying that women are a powerful political force and should be considered in all politics. I think this is a fine message, half the population is female and they have historically not had half the political power.

Beyond that there are many issues that affect women and of course not all women will agree on all of these issues. Abortion is one of the most divisive issues because the two sides is starting from different postulates: is a fetus a person? That cannot be measured, and depending on your answer you end up on one side or the other of the abortion debate.

Abortion is either murder, or a woman's obvious right to control her own body.

#24 ·
My dad always said this about the pro-choice/pro-life debate (I am paraphrasing, obviously)

Many people miss the actual point of this issue. The point isn't whether abortion is morally right or wrong. The point isn't "When does life begin?" No, the point is this: "Do I have the right to impose my belief system on someone else? Does the government have the right to impose one group's belief system on an entire country?" Because the question of whether something is right or wrong is not a question of fact, it is a question of personal belief. And when it comes to belief, nothing can be proven or disproven--it is simply opinion. And opinion is a personal choice; no one can tell you what opinion to have, nor can it be legislated by the government.

And he didn't answer the question for me--he wanted me to come up with the answer for myself. And the answer I have reached is this: No, I do not have the right to impose my beliefs on another person, and neither does anyone else.

#26 ·
Oh lordy...of course abortion is such a controversial topic. Pro choice means I get to make my choice and so do you. Pro life is just pro-birth and pro-fetus..nothing else. Pro-choice people generally believe that all life is precious, not just that of a fetus. Pro lifers often expect women to give birth to every fertilized egg and once that fetus is born, well good luck with that. Women who use public assistance are looked down upon once they had their precious babies encouraged by the very people who insist they must bring such children to this world. And it is often the same people who are against sex education!
I have explained in a different thread how my husband and I have decided against having any more children. Period. No doubts. Hopefully this President of ours won't put people like us in the position of having to bring what would be a completely unwanted child to this world. And no, I do not care to add more children to the foster care system. I work in the social work field, I know what it is like to grow up unwanted, unloved, waiting to age out of the system..horrendous. No birth control is perfect thus having reproductive rights protected is imperative.
Finally, the best sign I saw at the march was the one that said "The only wall we need to build is the one between church and state." Mr. Trump and (most) of his followers need to understand that this is a democracy not a theocracy...laws should not be made based on one single religion (Christianity) or any at all. If one loves religion so much perhaps it is time to move to another country ruled by religious laws.

#30 ·
I am sick and tired of everyone protesting about EVERYTHING. It is absolutely absurd. The protests stem from that segment of the population that despise Trump, it's been that way since he announced his candidacy in the summer of 2015. Combine distaste for him with his winning the election and the disappointment from seeing him in this position of authority, and many can't stomach it. He's the President. He won the election, get used to it. Maybe someone will actually do something in the White House, rather than sit on their f***ing a** for 8 years. If you went to a protest, get a job, get a life. This politically correct, "misogynisitic", "racist", liberal crap is just unbearable. Go to work, pay taxes, take care of and protect your family, be kind to others, try to get along with others, etc. Can anyone take anyone seriously who wears a vagina costume?? And who the heck protests extreme vetting, which protects us? I don't see anyone protesting locking their doors at night. This is what those who root for Hillary, those who hate Trump, the ones protesting,those who cried during the election still don't get--this s*** is getting old, and it needs to stop.

#31 ·
I am sick and tired of everyone protesting about EVERYTHING. It is absolutely absurd. The protests stem from that segment of the population that despise Trump, it's been that way since he announced his candidacy in the summer of 2015. Combine distaste for him with his winning the election and the disappointment from seeing him in this position of authority, and many can't stomach it. He's the President. He won the election, get used to it. Maybe someone will actually do something in the White House, rather than sit on their f***ing a** for 8 years. If you went to a protest, get a job, get a life. This politically correct, "misogynisitic", "racist", liberal crap is just unbearable. Go to work, pay taxes, take care of and protect your family, be kind to others, try to get along with others, etc. Can anyone take anyone seriously who wears a vagina costume?? And who the heck protests extreme vetting, which protects us? I don't see anyone protesting locking their doors at night. This is what those who root for Hillary, those who hate Trump, the ones protesting,those who cried during the election still don't get--this s*** is getting old, and it needs to stop.
I have no particular aversion to a vagina costume and it would depend upon what said vagina was speaking about.

(Hopefully it would Rhyme)

#38 ·
From what I learned from people in DC, it sure didnt seem like a tiny number.

When the protesters destroy business and private goods, however, they not only hurt those they claim to want to help...they seriously damage their credibility. The so called anarchist....just sad....having been in locations that actually had NO law, no order...i would bet they would run in terror if they ever actually experienced the anarchy they claim to desire

#39 ·
What I can say about the one women's march I attended is that it was peaceful and I could be wrong but I am not aware of any rioting or violent behavior in any of the other women's marches that happened in other cities.
I certainly would refrain fom bringing my young daughter to any march or protest where violence was anticipated or promoted. Of course not everything can be predicted but I have been very fortunate...probably because I have only supported peaceful causes and I also never supported Hillary nor Trump.

#46 ·
Awesome!

If there is one thing entrenched elected government officals and the bureaucracy that supports them fears the most....It's informed involved citizens

#90 ·
As I said:
Throughout his campaign, Trump has exemplified a rhetorical strategy that mirrors the way extremists incite violence among their followers.
In a piece published in Rolling Stone, law professor David Cohen argues that Trump is engaging in what’s known as “stochastic terrorism” — an academic term that refers to the act of using suggestive language to inspire radicals to carry out violent acts. In this scenario, a lone wolf terrorist wouldn’t be explicitly instructed to commit their crimes, but they would be encouraged by rhetoric that appears to normalize that type of activity.
It even has a 'name' for how people do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.