Talk About Marriage - View Single Post - How to Handle Teenagers and Disrespect
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Jessica38
Forum Supporter

Re: How to Handle Teenagers and Disrespect

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbroken50 View Post
I have 3 boys: 17, 15 and 11. Love them to death but the teenage years are definitely challenging!

I'm still trying to find the magic bullet myself so I'll be following your thread as well and you have my empathy [emoji173]

Biggest problem in our house is that Mr HB won't back me up as he finds discipline too stressful and he likes being the fun parent. He also has significant health issues so he loses patience faster and is more prone to let them get away with being rude just to make them stop.

I on the other hand can't stand it. A few things work temporarily: shutting off cell phones and blocking them out of wifi through the router. No rides to activities, that sort of thing.

They are expected to do chores but still fight back pretty regularly. It's very slowly improving the more consistent I am.

Stay strong! They will grow up eventually, right? That's what I keep telling myself anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, so you don't give rides either when they are disrespectful, good to know. I'm on it with the devices, but you're right- it's only temporary.

And I have the same issue with the husband- his "focus on the positive" bs really chaps my hide in these instances.

@crocus, you think I should ignore it when he acts like this? Ugh...I literally cannot stand it. It violates every boundary in my body to be treated so poorly by someone, especially as I am doing things for them. It just feels so wrong to me.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome