Here is a link about Colorado Common Law Marriage
. In this article it states that a couple do not have to have a formal ceremony but they would have to meet some requirements such as:
- Whether the couple refer to themselves as married to third parties,
- Filing joint federal or state tax returns,
- Listing the other party as a spouse on insurance forms or retirement plans,
- Joint finances, such as bank accounts, or owning property, and
- The woman taking the man's surname.
Long story short, if you enjoyed the privileges of being married while you were together, then you enjoy the headaches of having to file for divorce when you break up.