Talk About Marriage - View Single Post - To Marry? Or not to Marry?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Soko

Question To Marry? Or not to Marry?

Hello all and thanks for reading. I really need some advice!! I have been with my fiance for 4 1/2 years. We have been engaged for 2 years. We were planning on getting married in June 2013. Last Sunday (a week ago) we had an argument regarding finances. We both completely over reacted and based on this argument he has decided he does not want to get married.
We have spent the last week talking and talking and talking about what we are going to do. We love each other very much and want to spend our lives together. He says he is terrified of getting married. He has gone through a divorce and has a 12 year old.
I have always thought that I wanted to get married but never really thought beyond that. I just thought that's what you do when you grow up. I am considering having a ceremony to get "married" but not actually going to the court house and putting it into a legal contract. Make sense?
When I think about what is important to me in a marriage I think commitment, trust, growing old together and never leaving. This is all possible without the government recognizing our "marriage".
So I need advice. Part of me thinks I am simply accepting this option so that I can be with him. Part of me is terrified that 10n years from now ill be asking myself WHAT WAS I THINKING?!
I found a site about alternatives to marriage that makes me more comfortable with the decision.
All I want is to be happy, make money and travel the world! Do I have to have a marriage certificate to do that?! I also believe my family would be quit disappointed in this decision.
Thoughts???
Thank you in advance!!
Soko is offline   Reply With Quote