Talk About Marriage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously... do people not appreciate emoticons, pictures and colors in a post?

19K views 129 replies 40 participants last post by  larry.gray 
#1 ·
It's happened twice to me in the past so many months.. people taking pop shots at my posts for being difficult to read, annoying.. Heck I aim to make my posts enjoyable to read !...

Now, given the 1st poster who did this.. he or she got banned and was rude to everyone, came out slashing on a thread... and he or she hated my views so I feel she was just aiming to Screw with me..

But what about cell phones & Ipods.... does using colors and emoticons mess with viewing posts and make it difficult??.... I have only used a LAPTOP to be on TAM , so I have no idea...

Be honest please.. but just in relation to the layout of a post...(not about my views, God Knows I can be out of the box there!)...

For instance...Larry Gray does not care for the colors as I seen his comment on this in another thread.... so others must think like him as well... if you are one of those posters... I will keep you in mind if you are on such a thread with me...or I post specifically to you.

Thank you..

See less See more
#2 ·
I like your style! I'm on an iPad not a phone. I appreciate the different posting styles, yours stands out and I know without reading that it's you. Can't people just scroll past your post if they don't like it, why do people need to be so rude? I will say that as I get older it is harder to read colored fonts, but it's not like your whole post is in a yellow font.

#3 ·
Bright colors drive me insane. Especially when they are big and large. It takes my eyes a few minutes to adjust. I know arbitrator uses them often but his color is more muted and not a crazy color like red. (It's ok, Arb, I still read your posts and respond LOL). The pictures don't bother me, Simply. Your pictures always crack me up. A lot of them are really cute. I imagine it does take you a while to find them.

I know others have said how the pictures you post are "annoying" but I always think they are very appropos to what you write. Just keep doing you. It's kind of like your signature.

;)

#4 ·
I have an iphone5 and your posts don't come across looking messed up on there at all so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Some of the image files may just show up as a small box instead of an actual image but it's nothing crazy or anything. The colors come out correctly too.

I'm fairly sure enough people enjoy your posting style here that you don't have to worry about one or two or even 10(if it got to that) people complaining to you about it. Take a look at the one thread where people were listing their favorites and listing folks who helped them the most.Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you were on most of the lists.

If they don't like your posting style,they can keep moving on then.Just my .02 fwiw.

This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I think you should do what you prefer to do. I will say that I may not give as much attention to your posts as I would without the embellishments, as they make reading slower. I am also a big fan of brevity, but length alone will not usually deter me if the content is good, and yours is.

Reactions: SimplyAmorous
#7 · (Edited)
I looked back at a couple of your older posts..
They are more difficult to read than if they did not have colors and emoticons.

I have seen much worse offenders than you though.
The movement of the animation is too distracting.
The pictures do not really bother me as long as there are not too many.

1 or 2 emoticons is OK.. but too much of anything is too much.

#17 ·
Honesty I think I AM the worst offender here ...you can say it ! ...I have seen few others who color code as much as myself....onslaughting with strange emoticons!.

I say this with all honestly...none of these things have ever bothered me personally...from other posters... so I really had no clue that it is so distracting or annoying to some, even hard to read !

I am going to take your advice here and tone the emoticons down.. Never use light colors (though I don't use those except maybe in between pictures)..... I have used red for numbering / defining an outline type thing...I'll try to cut this out..

I do like looking up pics on Google images....I took Graphic Arts at Vo-Tech , so I just have a thing with spicing up the written word... when going to the Library ...I always appreciated the books with Pictures in them.. that's just me.. a part of my personality I guess..

larry.gray said: Oh and another thing people can do: add nosquit to their browser.

I have websites with white text and black background. It makes my eyes hurt. I put in nosquint so I can over-ride the background and text color. If I hit that button here, I can make all text colors go away.
I have never heard of "nosquit"... I will admit it does hurt my eyes too when I come across websites LIKE THAT...with a black background..

Mrs. John Adams said: However...I can scroll past...and so can everyone else. I would never tell you to change your style. That's your style.
I am the type that would rather know how someone feels, even if it's not pleasant.. even a little rude....

I doubt I myself would say anything unless someone asked, like when I see the huge blocks of text with no paragraphs I do think to myself.. "they really need to break this up"...and I am tempted to not read myself... generally someone else speaks up.... it's really trying to help... and that is a good thing.

I really don't want to purposely assault anyone's eyes with my posts..

ScarletBegonias said: I have an iphone5 and your posts don't come across looking messed up on there at all so I'm not sure what people are talking about. Some of the image files may just show up as a small box instead of an actual image but it's nothing crazy or anything. The colors come out correctly too.
Thank you , I have been wondering this for some time.. how this works on a phone...

I have a ton of emoticons in Photo bucket and I don't know what is up with their site... they used to show normal size when searching for them... now they are like "larger than life" -though they show normal when put in posts.

Jellybeans said: Bright colors drive me insane. Especially when they are big and large. It takes my eyes a few minutes to adjust.
Mr Blunt is and Arbitrator is really the only 2 I can think of who uses colors or bolds them...

PBear said: As others have said... I usually like and agree with your posts, if that matters. But in general, having to "scream" to make your posts stand out makes me want to just bypass them. We're here for useful content, not pretty. And some color combinations are hideously hard to read.
Now see there... PBear is an example of speaking the truth... yet not being "rude" - he feels how he feels (which is good, I asked) yet he braced it by saying I don't suck, I'm OK.

I appreciate the feedback!

#8 ·
I dont have a problem with your post or how they are presented at all, if people dont like it, they can put you on their ignore list. I wouldnt worry about it. Your an amazing woman and your husband is a lucky guy, keep doing what your doing.

#10 ·
I have an iPhone and I don't see the pictures/icons that you insert. The only thing that I don't like is when the font gets too light. There isn't enough contrast with the white background and I find it difficult to read. Light green seems to be the biggest offender for me. I don't have great eyes, so I'm sure that is part of my problem.

#11 ·
I love emoticons (a few well-placed ones) but I admit I find it difficult to read when the colors keep changing. I typically just use "bold" or CAPS if I want to emphasize a point.

But that's just me...

If you like posting with lots of colors, go right ahead!! Just know that some may skip ahead if the colors are driving them batty!!!

:)

#22 ·
When I read your posts I imagine there is an elf or pixie at the other end. How could anyone not like that?
Oh come on... a smiley green rag doll at the other end... elfish.....when 1st landed here, this was my Avatar >>....with that name of mine ...I thought I should tone it down a bit.

Lon said: But please avoid blue text (I read from my smartphone using tapatalk and I have a black background because it is easier on my eyes and battery, but I can't see blue text on black background - perhaps because of my color deficiency - so I don't even try anymore.
See, I would never know this sort of thing...so happy I started this thread.. good to know Lon.. I always enjoy your posts.. Always!

I got the idea to select certain parts I wanted to comment on in my quoted reply...from Caribbean Man... so I started doing it too...

Anon Pink said: NO NO NO NO!

I don't like this post!

It has no zip that I associate with your posts and personality!

Put the candle back!
(From Young Frankenstein)
Oh this is sweet... I'll still spice it up.. I enjoy it... no worries but I will keep in mind things like what Lon said here, if I see him on a thread... NO BLUE !

Anyone who replies to this thread... I will know...and consider. I can get carried away... I was thinking of my most "emoticoned" post...it was on a Compatibility thread.... I had fun constructing this.. but really, someone might want to shoot me trying to read it..

Simplyamorous said: I'll be the 1st to admit, I'm not the easiest woman to please, there are many things that would annoy me in some men... (and I would annoy them as well !)....although I consider myself pretty reasonable...my expectations are rather high.... I just know it wouldn't fare well if I was matched with a man that I bonked heads with....(example...someone irresponsible /reckless behavior of any sort/ couldn't count on "his word" / wasted $$ he didn't have/ a Boozer/ a partier/ a sports fanatic/ any amount of lying / passive aggressiveness / a workaholic/ a man who loved the city/ overly religious/ too jealous - insecure/ etc etc

A relationship with someone like that & me would go like this>>

...along with ....

I do attribute OUR happiness #1 to Compatibilty..... I've never looked at our marriage as "WORK".... my husband hasn't either...though he did want more sex back in the day.... and stuffed his feelings (our biggest blunder was not talking about our sexual desires :slap:)...and I was grouchy during yrs of infertility - our love remained intact- neither of us ever looking over a fence.

Sure we had fights ....(a little conflict is healthy!)....but we're both the type that is utterly miserable until we've made up -so we make up quickly - not allowing the sun to go down on our anger.

When me & mine were dating, I'd write him many love letters -picking his brain... while guys normally aim to get into a girls pants, my husband wasn't this type, he genuinely cared about me. I always had a thing for the introverted boys...(I know how odd this is !)... I guess for me, I saw a challenge to dig under that shyness & get to their
's, what drives them.

#20 ·
SA don't ever change your style. I personally skip over a lot of your comments, but the ones I do read are wonderful, and the time you take to animate your thoughts into words shows through and is appreciated.

But please avoid blue text ;) (I read from my smartphone using tapatalk and I have a black background because it is easier on my eyes and battery, but I can't see blue text on black background - perhaps because of my color deficiency - so I don't even try anymore.)

#24 ·
I love your posts, SA, because they are from the heart. But I agree with PBear: they can be a little difficult to wade through. I take the time because I've read enough of your posts to appreciate your wisdom; someone new might not feel it's worth their trouble.

They are actually easier to read on my mobile app, because they are rendered flat.

#28 · (Edited)
I don't like them. I scroll past them. I also like shorter punchier more blunt posts from more hard ass members. I also don't mind if you do your thing since I can ignore it.

It seems a little sad you put so much time and effort into posting to fill up whatever hole is empty in your life despite what seems to be lots of claims of a blissful state of being. It looks like attention seeking from my seat by I can be a prick too.

When I am feeling lousy and come on here and see your cheerio posts I want to vomit. I would rather commiserate in a ***** fest at times for no understood reason calling all spouses scum and bums.

It also seems to me you have asked about how you are perceived or why you are perceived certain way and have mentioned others don't agree with your views before. I don't think disagreement is odd pretty much anywhere.

I don't know any forum, watering hole or church choir where there is much consensus. It seems each side of most mainstream issues always has a healthy share of supporters that think its gospel and opponents that think it's nuts

#31 ·
She asked for honesty. She is a HUGE contributor. Her stye is well known and unique. I recall her participating in my threads and I appreciate that despite the annoying style. Just because I dislike an abundance of colors and artwork in posts and ad nauseum "Im so happy" claims which I believe are bogus doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a truthful response that she asked for. I don't doubt her sincere interest in the truth.

#38 ·
You were needlessly rude in your response. She came on here asking how people felt about her posting style, out of consideration for the people who post on this forum, and you berated her for it. There was no constructive criticism in what you wrote, it was just a string of insults.

I'm sorry about whatever it is that is making you so angry.

#36 · (Edited)
Truthful opinions hurt. Offering them isn't mean when asked for. Bull****ting someone is mean when they want the truth. Blowing daisies up someones azz is mean when they want the truth. SA can handle the truth. She presses on despite the critics she mentions past and present.

That being said...

I don't think spending that much time (years, daily, countless hours every day) is healthy.

MY truthful O-P-I-N-I-O-N is …

If there was something fulfilling available including a blissful marriage, awesome family, passionate offline interests you wouldn't find endless hours of doo dads added and being searched for all over the web.

Anyone that writes THAT much again in my l O-P-I-N-I-O-N has a passion for writing and illustration and it is wasted searching and posting for electrons to a very limited audience.

Not my business and I didn't say it was. I was sharing what was asked of me. My opinion.

#47 ·
Re: Re: Seriously... do people not appreciate emoticons, pictures and colors in a pos

Truthful opinions hurt. Offering them isn't mean when asked for. Bull****ting someone is mean when they want the truth. Blowing daisies up someones azz is mean when they want the truth. SA can handle the truth. She presses on despite the critics she mentions past and present.

That being said.

Anyone that writes THAT much again in my l O-P-I-N-I-O-N has a passion for writing and illustration and it is wasted searching and posting for electrons to a very limited audience.
These two things I totally agree with. Especially the second in the case of SA. I do believe there may very well be a passion for both writing and illustration that SA should definitely persue both online and offline.

However; being truthful doesn't necessarily require being cruel. There a difference between sugar coating a truth and being cruel and unusual with truthfulness.

There is a certain decorum in brutal honesty where appropriate and gentle kind honesty where needed. Time and a place for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.