Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight? - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
Coping with Infidelity Relationship recovery from the destructiveness of infidelity.

User Tag List

 57Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Gabriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,329
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

I stayed, and am fine with my decision. However, there are things I did during the process that I would have changed for sure. I wouldn't have been so conciliatory with the OM when I reached out to him once the dust settled. I go back and read that email now and want to puke on myself. Also, there were a couple of times when leaving the home for a few days to go dark would have done wonders for my mental and physical health. Instead I stubbornly stayed and stewed, or pulled her into arguments.

Even though I'm generally satisfied at home now, 5-6 years later, I'd feel a bit better about myself deep inside if I had done those couple of things differently.

Gabriel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Forum Supporter
 
drifter777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 183
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

I stayed and hate myself for it. I've tried to rationalize staying in the marriage to myself over and over again but the bottom line is I was a coward and will hate myself forever for not leaving.
drifter777 is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
I think MovingFrwrd thread is a must read for anyone asking your question. It is long, but if you read it, then read twice more you will e a wiser person.

I think RiverRat threads are a must read. Wish I knew him personally. Worth reading them multiple times.

I think Drifting On threads and posts are worth reading multiple times.

Two of these posters reconciled, one divorced. They all have one thing in common: the journey not the outcome sometimes is the important point.
I couldn't find the thread started by MovingFrwd, in fact he only started one "hello" thread with no response. I haven't tried others, but if you know where they are, can you give a link here? Thanks
bbad is offline  
 
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Thorburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,903
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

It has been over a year since I have been on here and thought I might give my 2 cents.

I had started the paperwork for D. My wife knew it and I would not give her any information about my attorney, etc. My oldest son is disabled and he wanted to get away from his mother for a weekend. So I found a retreat, rented him a cabin. My wife came along for the ride (unusual for her at that point). Our youngest son had stopped talking to his mother, my oldest was p*ssed. Her family who she was very close was no longer talking to her. Her three brothers were supporting me and her two older sisters stopped talking to her (even the middle one who supported her for a while during her A's). So we drove over an hour to the retreat place, got his cabin set up and I helped him with his fishing gear and we built a fire and then left.

On the ride home I asked my wife a question (we were not talking much at this time). She all of the sudden opened up and told me she did not want a D. She told me later that when I asked the question (I don't remember it), she said it cut her like a knife. She said she sat there thinking that she was on a train going straight to hell and this is her opportunity to get off the train. So she started giving me information about the A. When we got home she went upstairs to her bedroom and said come up and she handed me her computer, gave me her accounts and PWs and said I have nothing to hide I want to work this out. I never got her burner phone, she claims she got rid of it a few days prior to this.

I still had to work through some things about D.

When I finally decided on R I gave my wife a paper on what the BS needs from the WS. She read it over and over.

I gave her demands:
1. That she never ever puts her family before me.
2. That she answers all my questions.
3. There were others.

She was doing all of this (there was one lie that set me off) fairly well. Then in a few short months she got very ill. I spent nearly the next two years caring for a very ill woman, to the point of having to carry her to the toilet for weeks on end.

She is better since early 2015 but is about 50% of what she was before her illness. No sex. I am very capable, she is not. I live with it. I really lost interest in having any desire for her.

There was one or two instances of where she started to put her family before me and I put my foot down and told her there is the door, if you leave, don't come back. One instance she was mad for a day and then started crying and apologized.

She did quite a bit of heavy lifting and continues to do so, even being ill. For example, she drove 6 hours round trip to get my truck fixed on her own, so I would not have to do this last year and I did not ask her to do it. I know it was a pain, but she willingly did it.

She does not get angry or annoyed if I ask to look at her phone. I rarely do this.

We travel when we can, but not as much as we use to do, due primarily to her illness. She tires easily.

Our marriage is sexless due to her illness.

She always asks my opinion when it comes to family issues or her family issues. She respects my views.

She finally sees what a bad influence her next older sister was on her life. During the A's they were basically joined at the hip. Now my wife is at the point of almost total annoyance. She is only 56 years old and my wife and I are predicting that she will be in a nursing home in the next year or so. She acts like a woman that is 110 years old. I help support her financially as she is a widow, I tolerate her, but I really don't care for her much. During the A's if I said anything negative about this S-I-L my wife would defend her. Not the case anymore. In fact my wife came to me last night asking my opinion on how to handle a situation with her sister and she followed my advice.

I am fully retired from the Army (after 33 years). Still work for the Feds. and am enjoying it.

Got a newer crew cab PU (bought it when I retired from the Army). My gift to myself. My wife did not complain.

One half of my two car garage is filled with American Chestnut beans and boards from an old corn crib. I have a number of projects to do with the wood. Bought some more woodworking equipment.

Working slowly on my family's genealogy. Got quite a bit of my four grandparents lines. One to 1150 A.D. in Germany; another to 1400's in Switzerland; another to the 1500's in Germany and one going back to Scotland, but I am stuck on some things. I plan to write a book once I get copies of deeds, birth certificates, etc.

My wife respects me. Something I can say she never really ever did prior to R.

One more thought. I am not the same. I still have pain and have somewhat distanced myself from my wife emotionally and physically. But I will never let myself go through what I went through. In hindsight if I had known in 1999 when she had her first A that she would do it again in 2010, 2011 through 2013, I would have D her and not looked back.

This kind of cosmic dumbassery occupies a temporal plane of ineptitude and lack of reason so profound a Zen master could spend a lifetime meditating upon its philosophical consequences.”
Thorburn is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Member
 
MovingFrwrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 219
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbad View Post
I couldn't find the thread started by MovingFrwd, in fact he only started one "hello" thread with no response. I haven't tried others, but if you know where they are, can you give a link here? Thanks
My thread was moved to the private members section per my request some time ago. When you hit the minimum post limit, you'll find it there, "Struggling to Forget"
MovingFrwrd is online now  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Moderator
 
farsidejunky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 7,364
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorburn View Post
It has been over a year since I have been on here and thought I might give my 2 cents.

I had started the paperwork for D. My wife knew it and I would not give her any information about my attorney, etc. My oldest son is disabled and he wanted to get away from his mother for a weekend. So I found a retreat, rented him a cabin. My wife came along for the ride (unusual for her at that point). Our youngest son had stopped talking to his mother, my oldest was p*ssed. Her family who she was very close was no longer talking to her. Her three brothers were supporting me and her two older sisters stopped talking to her (even the middle one who supported her for a while during her A's). So we drove over an hour to the retreat place, got his cabin set up and I helped him with his fishing gear and we built a fire and then left.

On the ride home I asked my wife a question (we were not talking much at this time). She all of the sudden opened up and told me she did not want a D. She told me later that when I asked the question (I don't remember it), she said it cut her like a knife. She said she sat there thinking that she was on a train going straight to hell and this is her opportunity to get off the train. So she started giving me information about the A. When we got home she went upstairs to her bedroom and said come up and she handed me her computer, gave me her accounts and PWs and said I have nothing to hide I want to work this out. I never got her burner phone, she claims she got rid of it a few days prior to this.

I still had to work through some things about D.

When I finally decided on R I gave my wife a paper on what the BS needs from the WS. She read it over and over.

I gave her demands:
1. That she never ever puts her family before me.
2. That she answers all my questions.
3. There were others.

She was doing all of this (there was one lie that set me off) fairly well. Then in a few short months she got very ill. I spent nearly the next two years caring for a very ill woman, to the point of having to carry her to the toilet for weeks on end.

She is better since early 2015 but is about 50% of what she was before her illness. No sex. I am very capable, she is not. I live with it. I really lost interest in having any desire for her.

There was one or two instances of where she started to put her family before me and I put my foot down and told her there is the door, if you leave, don't come back. One instance she was mad for a day and then started crying and apologized.

She did quite a bit of heavy lifting and continues to do so, even being ill. For example, she drove 6 hours round trip to get my truck fixed on her own, so I would not have to do this last year and I did not ask her to do it. I know it was a pain, but she willingly did it.

She does not get angry or annoyed if I ask to look at her phone. I rarely do this.

We travel when we can, but not as much as we use to do, due primarily to her illness. She tires easily.

Our marriage is sexless due to her illness.

She always asks my opinion when it comes to family issues or her family issues. She respects my views.

She finally sees what a bad influence her next older sister was on her life. During the A's they were basically joined at the hip. Now my wife is at the point of almost total annoyance. She is only 56 years old and my wife and I are predicting that she will be in a nursing home in the next year or so. She acts like a woman that is 110 years old. I help support her financially as she is a widow, I tolerate her, but I really don't care for her much. During the A's if I said anything negative about this S-I-L my wife would defend her. Not the case anymore. In fact my wife came to me last night asking my opinion on how to handle a situation with her sister and she followed my advice.

I am fully retired from the Army (after 33 years). Still work for the Feds. and am enjoying it.

Got a newer crew cab PU (bought it when I retired from the Army). My gift to myself. My wife did not complain.

One half of my two car garage is filled with American Chestnut beans and boards from an old corn crib. I have a number of projects to do with the wood. Bought some more woodworking equipment.

Working slowly on my family's genealogy. Got quite a bit of my four grandparents lines. One to 1150 A.D. in Germany; another to 1400's in Switzerland; another to the 1500's in Germany and one going back to Scotland, but I am stuck on some things. I plan to write a book once I get copies of deeds, birth certificates, etc.

My wife respects me. Something I can say she never really ever did prior to R.

One more thought. I am not the same. I still have pain and have somewhat distanced myself from my wife emotionally and physically. But I will never let myself go through what I went through. In hindsight if I had known in 1999 when she had her first A that she would do it again in 2010, 2011 through 2013, I would have D her and not looked back.
It is very good to hear from you, @Thorburn.

Don't be a stranger, brother.

"Our ability to feel joy is directly related to how much pain we are willing to feel." - Mavash.

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for." - Bob Marley
farsidejunky is online now  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Member
 
Gabriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,329
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsidejunky View Post
It is very good to hear from you, @Thorburn.

Don't be a stranger, brother.
fvckin' A.

Thorburn's plight was epic and tough. Had such a tough road. Sorry about her health and the no sex. I don't need as much sex as I used to, but once in awhile it's just got to happen or I'll burst.

Just do you, bud.
Gabriel is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnydee View Post
I assume you mean staying in a bad relationship. It always amuses me when people post assuming we know what they are thinking. In another forum I see a lot of sex and romance questions where people do not give their age or gender. I never know if it is a 13 year old virgin girl or a 17 year old guy, asking so I avoid answering.

Assuming you mean a relationships, I left my ex fiancee immediately upon finding out she cheated. I know that people seldom change and their past behavior is a very good indicator of their future behavior. Plus all the people I knew who cheated, kept on cheating even though they promised that they would not. My gut feeling saved the day for me.

My ex fiancee went on to cheat on the guy she cheated on me with. Then she had mental problems, joined a commune where she was passed from person to person stoned out of her mind and drugged on LSD. She got out of there only because the commune broke up. She started seeing angels and talking to them. One told her to do things and she did them. She thought she could see your future through her angels. She had a kid from no one knows who and found a guy who needed a green card to marry. She cheated on him too and finally married a woman who is much older than she is. She called me 47 year later to apologize and told me how lousy her life had been up to the point she married her wife. She went on to tell me how different things might have been had she not been so immature and cheated on me. I told her that sometimes just one thing we do wrong, can dictate the rest of your life. For her it was cheating. For me it was her cheating because had I married her as planned, I would never have met my wonderful wife who I proposed to 3 weeks after we met and are still married 44+ years later.

The second girlfriend who cheated on me and that I dumped, went on to a fantastic life of being a crack addicted prostitute. When she cleaned up after serving jail time, she became a stripper and married one of her steady lap dance customers who had some money, but was 11 years older than her. She emailed me once and told me that she was visiting her crack addicted daughter to try to get her to quit drugs. Another decision not to believe a cheating woman saved the day for me.
I struggle to reconcile this post with one you made on another thread just tonight where you stated that it would be a huge mistake for a WS to reveal an affair to a BS.

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Member
 
GusPolinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 12,023
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
I struggle to reconcile this post with one you made on another thread just tonight where you stated that it would be a huge mistake for a WS to reveal an affair to a BS.
LOL.

Don't try.

Virginia: "Why can't you kids leave well enough alone? Everything was fine until you started digging around."

Burt: "You sound like a Scooby Doo villain."
GusPolinski is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:59 AM
Member
 
BURNT KEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 202
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHale View Post
Thought this might help those going through hell on earth to help make a decision. Good or bad, all will help.
I would have left.

BURNT KEP is online now  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Forum Supporter
 
CynthiaDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,253
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
I struggle to reconcile this post with one you made on another thread just tonight where you stated that it would be a huge mistake for a WS to reveal an affair to a BS.
@Thorburn would you say that you would rather have never known that your wife was cheating on you?

I have a friend who was cheated on multiple times by two of his wives. We had a discussion about knowing one's spouse is cheating and he gave me a pained look of almost terror saying that it's much better to never know. He was adamant about it. He would have much rather never have known that his wives were cheating on him. I also know this man to be someone who would rather live in ignorant bliss than deal with reality sometimes. This is not an insult. He's a good friend, but he looks at life differently than I do.

A main theme of my life is to live in truth. This can drive my friends and family a little crazy sometimes, because I tend to dig a little too deep sometimes.

So along with the theme of this thread, what do the rest of you think? Would you rather that your spouse would have turned away from their adulterous behavior, found the character flaw that led them to the adulterous behavior, and work through it with a therapist in private without you ever having known or would you rather your spouse tell you the truth and work through repentance with their therapist and with you?

For more on my marriage philosophies check out the marriage section of my website:
The Feminine Review

Standard Evidence Thread: http://talkaboutmarriage.com/coping-...ence-post.html
CynthiaDe is online now  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaDe View Post
So along with the theme of this thread, what do the rest of you think? Would you rather that your spouse would have turned away from their adulterous behavior, found the character flaw that led them to the adulterous behavior, and work through it with a therapist in private without you ever having known or would you rather your spouse tell you the truth and work through repentance with their therapist and with you?
Unfortunately these aren't the only two possible outcomes, though. A third, and perhaps more common, would be that the WS continues to cheat and the BS continues to live with his/her head in the sand.

I used to be of the opinion that it wasn't anyone's business except the BS and WS and that because you can never know what the BS really wants, he/she shouldn't be told by a third party. After all, you can't un-ring a bell. I have, however, done a 180 and I believe the best thing to do is tell the BS the reality of their life and let them make an informed choice.

It is the WS that is putting the BS in this difficult position. If the BS doesn't want to know, and he or she is told, that's on the WS because the WS is the one who caused the situation and the hurt in the first place. Statistically, most BS would want to know, no matter who told them. I know I would.

Don't let people become a priority in your life when you're just an option in theirs.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Forum Supporter
 
CynthiaDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,253
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
Unfortunately these aren't the only two possible outcomes, though. A third, and perhaps more common, would be that the WS continues to cheat and the BS continues to live with his/her head in the sand.
Right, but that wasn't the question. I wasn't assuming only two possibilities. I was asking of these two possibilities, which would you rather? It is rare that a WS quits cheating, becomes sincerely introspective and wants to make a change. Usually what happens is that the WS is acting strangely, so the BS starts investigating and finds out the truth. Or the BS never knows anything about the cheating.

The reason I asked the question is that this thread assumes reconciliation, which hopefully means the WS has become repentant. What if the WS had repented of their own accord and not had to be caught before coming to their senses? Would it be better to not know? For me that's a hard question, because I am a truth seeker. Would I rather have my heart ripped out by knowing or be blissfully ignorant? I thought this was relevant to the thread, but now I think I'm way off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
I used to be of the opinion that it wasn't anyone's business except the BS and WS and that because you can never know what the BS really wants, he/she shouldn't be told by a third party. After all, you can't un-ring a bell. I have, however, done a 180 and I believe the best thing to do is tell the BS the reality of their life and let them make an informed choice.

It is the WS that is putting the BS in this difficult position. If the BS doesn't want to know, and he or she is told, that's on the WS because the WS is the one who caused the situation and the hurt in the first place. Statistically, most BS would want to know, no matter who told them. I know I would.
I agree.

For more on my marriage philosophies check out the marriage section of my website:
The Feminine Review

Standard Evidence Thread: http://talkaboutmarriage.com/coping-...ence-post.html
CynthiaDe is online now  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 24
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

I stayed and tried to reconcile for 2 years but I could not get past the anger and a total and complete lack of trust. She couldn't walk out the door without me suspecting she was up to something. I remember when I told my mom I was going divorce, her attitude seemed to be it was my fault for not being able to trust my wife or, as she put it, "let it go."

Anyway, I'm glad I stayed for a year - she was able to finish her degree and find a job, which is to my advantage. I egret staying the second year. I consider that a totally wasted year.
Secondguessing is online now  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Thorburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,903
Re: Those that stayed, what would you have done in hind sight?

@Thorburn would you say that you would rather have never known that your wife was cheating on you?

I am not saying that at all. I wish I would have taken Weightlifter's advice and not listen to the recording of her having sex with someone else and had rather sent it or gave it to someone else to tell me. That recording plays in my mind from time to time.

For me the better situation would had been if my wife simply said I done with the marriage and I am going to look for someone else. She did want the best of both worlds, the security I gave her, and the fun the OM's gave her.

I would want to know and wanted to know. The first time in 1999 my boys were young (around 10 and 12) and they knew before I did.

This kind of cosmic dumbassery occupies a temporal plane of ineptitude and lack of reason so profound a Zen master could spend a lifetime meditating upon its philosophical consequences.”
Thorburn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Family fell apart, but no end to drama in sight mjsquatch Going Through Divorce or Separation 59 Today 11:17 PM
Has anyone seen Married at First Sight? SecondTime'Round The Social Spot 17 03-05-2016 07:07 AM
Married at First Sight UMP General Relationship Discussion 21 01-20-2016 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome