Still in disbelief........ - Talk About Marriage
Coping with Infidelity Relationship recovery from the destructiveness of infidelity.

User Tag List

 44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DepressedDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East coast
Posts: 20
Still in disbelief........

It's been 5 months since I discovered my WH had an 'affair' 5 years ago

I am a military wife that has been married for 19 years and have been chronically ill for 6 years. The past 6 years have been super stressful for me and I had only recently stopped grieving my life before I got sick.

I discovered through facebook that 5 years ago my spouse befriended a woman while deployed and slept with her twice. Before the affair and after the affair he had been an amazing loving dedicated spouse and devoted father. When I became ill he took me to all my doctors appointments, the whole 9 yards. I had to have brain surgery and I changed - I began having severe mood swings and gained alot of weight, in short I was no longer the woman I used to be.

We never usually argue but 5 years ago we got into a screaming match where I shoved him and he ended up choking me. A few months later his father passed away and it was an even more stressful time. At that time, despite my being severely ill the military deployed my husband and I stayed home with our children. He called me every day while deployed. During that time my spouse befriended a coworker's female friend and she asked for his email & phone number - so she could 'show him around' and lend support. He told this woman about my illness & surgery, asked her to pray for me etc. They strike up a friendship over a few months. Being nice, he helped her move and then she decides to offer him sex as payment - He decides to have sex with this woman despite knowing he has kids & a sick wife a thousand miles away

He told me he called her back a week later and had sex with her again, then never went back. He was only deployed for about 7 months. Fast foward to 5 months ago, I went to log into Facebook on our computer and he was logged in - I saw his inbox conversation with this woman -They had been Facebook friends for at least 2 years & he started chatting with her on Facebook the past year - he inquired about her family, complimented her looks, and his last message was reminiscing about the showers they took. She blocks him because she's married now and doesn't want to upset her husband When I confronted him, He lied his ass off, said it wasn't him and wouldn't admit until 24 hours later after arguing. I feel confused - yes I was betrayed but can I call a 2 night stand an 'affair'?

I am distraught & still disbelieving. I don't know whether to stay or divorce him. I keep asking him why. I can't understand why he would stay in contact with this woman. We tried to go to a MC but after 1 session they felt we should go to separate counseling. We have started separate counseling but it has been unhelpful for me. My WH says he's remorseful and that he has felt guilty for the past 5 years but I think he's only sorry he got caught, he has NOT shown remorse in my opinion. He's slept like a log the past 5 years . The grief of being chronically ill has come back full force with this revelation. I thought I had survived brain surgery with out any casualties but it looks like my marriage will be one

DepressedDiva is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Primrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 99
Re: Still in disbelief........

He stayed in contact with her because he feels no remorse for what he did.

I'm so sorry you are here. There's no pain quite like the one of having been cheated on. It's up to you to decide if you would like to reconcile, but I promise you this; he can be a saint from here on out, but you will still live your years always second guessing him.
Primrose is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Member
 
BetrayedDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,095
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepressedDiva View Post
My WH says he's remorseful and that he has felt guilty for the past 5 years but I think he's only sorry he got caught, he has NOT shown remorse in my opinion. He's slept like a log the past 5 years.
Well there you go. He is what he is.... a POS loser. Sorry you are here.

It's fairly obvious from ACTION not words if someone is remorseful.

You can't control what he does or change the past. All you can do is respond.

So you can choose to acquiesce or you can reclaim your dignity and dump him.

I don't know about you but I'd prefer alone and with my self respect intact than him.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” - Maya Angelou
BetrayedDad is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,689
Re: Still in disbelief........

Does your husband say that he wants to remain married? If he does, he has a lot of work to do. I've listed a book below that the two of you can read to figure out what that work is.

How to Help Your Spouse Heal From Your Affair: A Compact Manual for the Unfaithful
by Linda J. MacDonald

If he does not actually do the work, you know he's just not serious about fixing your marriage and dump him.

Or, if you have just had enough and you do not want to deal with this whole mess, dump him.

Life is way too short to deal with this kind of nonsense. You only get one life so don't let others, like him, screw with it.

What you are you doing for yourself? How are you taking care of yourself these days?

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DepressedDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East coast
Posts: 20
Re: Still in disbelief........

Thank you for your advice EleGirl.

He says that he wants to stay married and I actually recently bought 'How to help your spouse heal from your affair' but he has been somewhat slow to read it He says he wants to do the work but he is a pretty unemotional guy and I just don't see him really trying, to me he hasn't shown remorse.

I've had to drag the details out of him and when I ask him why he friended and contacted her after 4-5 years he says he doesn't know why. I know for a fact he hasn't seen this woman in over 5 years - to me it looks callous to befriend & chat with her, that doesn't look like guilt/remorse to me. The fact that she blocked him and ended the 'friendship' and I can't contact her makes it harder for me to find closure......

I am still ill but not at deaths door like I was six years ago. Of course our children don't want us to divorce, knucklehead told the kids a few days after he was busted. I would have preferred not to tell our youngest child but oh well 😕
DepressedDiva is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Member
 
stixx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 261
Re: Still in disbelief........

I'm not saying what he did was right but if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute- you were very ill, close to death and you gained a lot of weight.

He was away from you for long periods of time.

A man has needs. Just say'en.
stixx is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,324
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post
I'm not saying what he did was right but if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute- you were very ill, close to death and you gained a lot of weight.

He was away from you for long periods of time.

A man has needs. Just say'en.
if you have needs that great, then when you take vow's, skip the parts that say "in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, in good times and in bad".
jorgegene is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Member
 
WorkingOnMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,053
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepressedDiva View Post
Thank you for your advice EleGirl.

He says that he wants to stay married and I actually recently bought 'How to help your spouse heal from your affair' but he has been somewhat slow to read it He says he wants to do the work but he is a pretty unemotional guy and I just don't see him really trying, to me he hasn't shown remorse.

I've had to drag the details out of him and when I ask him why he friended and contacted her after 4-5 years he says he doesn't know why. I know for a fact he hasn't seen this woman in over 5 years - to me it looks callous to befriend & chat with her, that doesn't look like guilt/remorse to me. The fact that she blocked him and ended the 'friendship' and I can't contact her makes it harder for me to find closure......

I am still ill but not at deaths door like I was six years ago. Of course our children don't want us to divorce, knucklehead told the kids a few days after he was busted. I would have preferred not to tell our youngest child but oh well 😕
He says he doesn't know why, because he doesn't want to say the reason. I'm sure you already know that your illness is likely the reason. And the reason he wants to stay is most likely because of the kids, not because he feels remorse. In reality, deep down inside, he probably feels justified in both what he did, and staying for the kids.
WorkingOnMe is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Member
 
Lostme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Down South
Posts: 649
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post
I'm not saying what he did was right but if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute- you were very ill, close to death and you gained a lot of weight.

He was away from you for long periods of time.

A man has needs. Just say'en.

Wow no words!!!!!



You do matter!
Lostme is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Member
 
WorkingOnMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington State
Posts: 6,053
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegene View Post
if you have needs that great, then when you take vow's, skip the parts that say "in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, in good times and in bad".
While I agree with your sentiment, I think people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the vows. You can only "vow" for yourself, so when you say to have and to hold (code for sex) in sickness and in health, you're talking about your own sickness and health, not the other person's. It wouldn't make sense to say 'I promise to have and hold whether you're sick or healthy'. That would be just a little creepy. The vow is, 'I promise to have and hold whether I'm sick or healthy'. Now, he still broke the vows. Whether she did or not is unknown.

WorkingOnMe is online now  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 PM
TRy
Member
 
TRy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,597
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgegene View Post
if you have needs that great, then when you take vow's, skip the parts that say "in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, in good times and in bad".
Better yet, if that is how he feels, he should just skip getting married.
TRy is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
DepressedDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East coast
Posts: 20
Thumbs down Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixx View Post
I'm not saying what he did was right but if you put yourself in his shoes for a minute- you were very ill, close to death and you gained a lot of weight.

He was away from you for long periods of time.

A man has needs. Just say'en.
A - He is in the military and should not have chose to marry if he knew he couldn't be faithful when he goes on deployment.

B - The woman he slept with was the same size as me 😑 and a few years older

C - I actually felt he was quite within his rights to leave me and pursue someone else - But no he always said that he loves me, would never choose to leave me and that he's still very attracted to me 😕

D - I'm sure then that if you ever fell ill that you'd be perfectly fine with your spouse leaving & sleeping with other people while you take care of the home & children.... No big right? You'd put yourself in his or her shoes then and be completely empathetic 😕😐

If he had chose to divorce me that year and then later met with that woman I could accept that. But no, the entire time he says he only has eyes for me 😕 I believe him when he says he never cheated before then and has not cheated since then - but why keep in contact this woman all this time? 😠

And he knows I could make his life hell if I chose to - I can get half his pension and child support
DepressedDiva is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,864
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepressedDiva View Post
A - He is in the military and should not have chose to marry if he knew he couldn't be faithful when he goes on deployment.

B - The woman he slept with was the same size as me 😑 and a few years older

C - I actually felt he was quite within his rights to leave me and pursue someone else - But no he always said that he loves me, would never choose to leave me and that he's still very attracted to me 😕

D - I'm sure then that if you ever fell ill that you'd be perfectly fine with your spouse leaving & sleeping with other people while you take care of the home & children.... No big right? You'd put yourself in his or her shoes then and be completely empathetic 😕😐

If he had chose to divorce me that year and then later met with that woman I could accept that. But no, the entire time he says he only has eyes for me 😕 I believe him when he says he never cheated before then and has not cheated since then - but why keep in contact this woman all this time? 😠

And he knows I could make his life hell if I chose to - I can get half his pension and child support
Just wanted to say-- YOU are EXACTLY right!!!!
Well stated.
Evinrude58 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,689
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepressedDiva View Post
Thank you for your advice EleGirl.

He says that he wants to stay married and I actually recently bought 'How to help your spouse heal from your affair' but he has been somewhat slow to read it He says he wants to do the work but he is a pretty unemotional guy and I just don't see him really trying, to me he hasn't shown remorse.

I've had to drag the details out of him and when I ask him why he friended and contacted her after 4-5 years he says he doesn't know why. I know for a fact he hasn't seen this woman in over 5 years - to me it looks callous to befriend & chat with her, that doesn't look like guilt/remorse to me. The fact that she blocked him and ended the 'friendship' and I can't contact her makes it harder for me to find closure......

I am still ill but not at deaths door like I was six years ago. Of course our children don't want us to divorce, knucklehead told the kids a few days after he was busted. I would have preferred not to tell our youngest child but oh well 😕
It's completely normal for a WS to not want to talk about the affair and to give out only as much info as they absolutely have to.

You might benefit from reading the book "Surviving an Affair" by Dr. Harley.

Your husband cheated for a reason. It fill some void for him. In order to fix the marriage, he has to figure out why and then you both have to protect your marriage from whatever it is.

My bet is that you being sick was hard on him, and the affair was an outlet that let him escape. I know. It's not right. It's no fair. It's not an excuse. But you both have to explore this.

One of the things is that as weird as it sounds, you have to make it safe for him to talk to you about this. I'm not saying that you are not making it safe. I don't know. I'm just putting it out there. If he thinks that every time the topic comes up, you are going to fall apart, cry, or scream, etc. he's not going to talk about it.

Have you read the 'How to help your spouse heal from your affair' book? If not I think it would also benefit you. If I were you, I'd stop asking him about the affair and ask him to just read the book. (the 'How to help your spouse heal from your affair' book). Why? Because after that he just might be more open to talking to you about his affair.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Forum Supporter
 
heartbroken50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,849
Re: Still in disbelief........

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post



Your husband cheated for a reason. It fill some void for him. In order to fix the marriage, he has to figure out why and then you both have to protect your marriage from whatever it is.



My bet is that you being sick was hard on him, and the affair was an outlet that let him escape. I know. It's not right. It's no fair. It's not an excuse. But you both have to explore this.


Chronic illness can be a huge factor....

Mr HB has cancer, and had an online affair to escape his reality of being sick. With his OW he could be anyone... a healthy stud. Not the guy with cancer who's wife cleans up his vomit after chemo.

It's not an excuse ... he could have explored his fears with a therapist... he could have talked to his doctor, a friend, or me. Instead he threw away 25 years together, and 20 years of marriage.

We're still together - as roommates - but it will never ever be the same as he never showed me any remorse and was never willing to delve into that need to escape.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heartbroken50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
chronic illness, grief, infideility, low self-esteem, military

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sadness, humiliation, and disbelief drifting on Coping with Infidelity 248 08-08-2016 11:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome