Polygraph accuracy?
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Focused Topics »Coping with Infidelity » Polygraph accuracy?

Coping with Infidelity Relationship recovery from the destructiveness of infidelity.

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Numb in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 852
Default Polygraph accuracy?

Who has used a polygraph test on their spouse to find out about infidelity? Was it accurate? I am thinking of having one done on my H, but not sure how conclusive they are?

I guess the main question is,, were you satisfied with the results?
Numb in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,093
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

They aren't perfect, but think about this. The major security agencies in the US require them as part of their review process. do you think they would pay for that if they didn't work at all.

They don't reveal fine details like "did you do X with Y on the night of the full moon"

but they DO reveal "did you have sex with X?" , "Are you still meeting up with X" etc.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Numb in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 852
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

I was just making sure.... was pricing them, and they were running around $450 so was just wanting it to be worth it.

I'm sure it also depends on who does it.
Numb in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 18,083
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

They are wrong about 25% of the time.

The results of ploygraphs are not allowed in court because they are not reliable.

When they are used by major security angencies they use several methods, not just the polygraph tests. Then they review the results of all the data they collect on a person to determine results.
__________________
Surviving An Affair - What Are Plan A and Plan B? 180 for Betrayed Spouses


To Create A Passionate Marriage - Five Steps to Romantic Love His Needs, Her Needs Love Busters
EleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Numb in Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 852
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

It's just sad that a BS would even have to consider a polygraph test on the person we thought we knew,,, just to get the truth out of them...and that they would be so determined to continue a lie for a "friend" over their spouse.....

Numb in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Chicago, USA
Posts: 1,861
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
They are wrong about 25% of the time.

The results of ploygraphs are not allowed in court because they are not reliable.

When they are used by major security angencies they use several methods, not just the polygraph tests. Then they review the results of all the data they collect on a person to determine results.
All that is true.

In addition, if the person being tested knows how to disrupt the test it will be inconclusive or totally off.

Also, Psychopaths and narcissists who often feel no guilt or think they are always right, or are justified in their immoral actions for whatever reason they choose, will pass even if they did cheat.

Also, the results are only an interpretation, hence the pattern needed over the long term to make a more accurate judgment.

Lastly, some people who are simply nervous might fail.
Sara8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

I give little credence to polygraph tests simply because they are a matter of interpretation by the examiner. If they were fool proof the courts would accept them as evidence in trials rather than conjecture.
If you have reason to believe your spouse is unfaithful, there are methods available to confirm it that are more reliable.
hookares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 277
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb in Ohio View Post
Who has used a polygraph test on their spouse to find out about infidelity? Was it accurate? I am thinking of having one done on my H, but not sure how conclusive they are?

I guess the main question is,, were you satisfied with the results?
I have read that they are roughly 85% accurate. Which is 99% more accurate than a WS.

For all the people who say they can't be used in court (which is mostly true) why are eye-witnesses allowed when they have a much lower accuracy than polygraphs?

I had a friend who is a Fed, who administers these, and swears by them. He works in a sex-crime division and says that this is an invaluable tool in his arsenal.
Vanton68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Wouldn't you support the voodoo involved in "lie detector" tests if you made your living administrating them? I know of at least once case where a guy passed one in spite of witnesses personally seeing him commit the crime he was charged with having perpetrated.
The prisons in WV still hold people who were convicted by junk science by a now deceased evidence manufacturer.
hookares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Chicago, USA
Posts: 1,861
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanton68 View Post
I have read that they are roughly 85% accurate. Which is 99% more accurate than a WS.

For all the people who say they can't be used in court (which is mostly true) why are eye-witnesses allowed when they have a much lower accuracy than polygraphs?

I had a friend who is a Fed, who administers these, and swears by them. He works in a sex-crime division and says that this is an invaluable tool in his arsenal.
Yes. It is one tool in his arsenal when dealing with a known sex offender. Just one tool in combination with many others

A one time cheater is a different. They may be very nervous and there is no pattern to read so the intepreter is at a disadvantage.

It could raise more questions than answer provided and the doubt factor is too high.

A serial cheater is hopeless and likely a narcissist or psycho/sociopath and feels no guilt

With that said. I think it is good to ask the person to take a poly and watch their response.

Someone who has nothing to hide will usually agree to take it. Someone who is hiding something, will balk
Sara8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
lamaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,419
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

I'm always in the minority here on this one, but if you're at the point where you need a polygraph to trust your partner, then your relationship is functionally over.

What if he/she passes a polygraph? What then? You'll start worrying about the margin of error?

It's not about technology, and technology can't fix it.
lamaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
lordmayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA All The Way
Posts: 4,717
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaga View Post
I'm always in the minority here on this one, but if you're at the point where you need a polygraph to trust your partner, then your relationship is functionally over.
Because unlike you, the vast majority of people aren't going to simply end a marriage because of a hunch. Most people have invested years of their lives, careers, property, children, etc. Marriage is a huge investment. Now if you're young, newly married, no kids, then yes, it would be better to just move on. But most people need more than that.
lordmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
lordmayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA All The Way
Posts: 4,717
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
They are wrong about 25% of the time.

The results of ploygraphs are not allowed in court because they are not reliable.

When they are used by major security angencies they use several methods, not just the polygraph tests. Then they review the results of all the data they collect on a person to determine results.
Yes, they also go by the results of the background investigation. Polygraphs are also required for application to any law enforcement agency as well.
lordmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Thorburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,856
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

My WS mentioned shortly before d-day about polygraphs. I said I heard that they are fairly accurate and she said, no they are not. And went on about statistics of the tests. It raised a red flag in me. My wife would mentioned stuff during her A that she never ever had an interest. This conversation struck me as weird. Why was she talking about it? Did her and the OM have a conversation about it? Like, hey if we are caught what will you say, what if we are asked to give a polygraph test? The one guy I did research on who is a few hours away and has good credentials claims accuracy in 90% range. He claims it has alot to do with the person doing the test. He charges $600.00 a pop.
__________________
This kind of cosmic dumbassery occupies a temporal plane of ineptitude and lack of reason so profound a Zen master could spend a lifetime meditating upon its philosophical consequences.
Thorburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
lamaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,419
Default Re: Polygraph accuracy?

So you pay $600 and she passes. And then you lie awake at night wondering about that other 10%.

Communication, people. COMMUNICATION.
lamaga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polygraph, to take or not to take? benjen879 Coping with Infidelity 41 12-19-2012 05:04 PM
Should the WS take a Polygraph? COguy Coping with Infidelity 9 04-29-2012 06:03 AM
Before demanding that polygraph FrankKissel Coping with Infidelity 0 12-18-2011 01:35 PM
GPS Monitoring accuracy worldwide Coping with Infidelity 6 09-26-2011 03:32 PM
Polygraph Anonymous_Female Coping with Infidelity 39 05-11-2011 11:08 PM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.