My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back! - Page 3 - Talk About Marriage
Dealing with Grief and Loss The grieving process is difficult. When we lose someone close to us, we go through many different emotions.

User Tag List

 58Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philat View Post
You're still in our thoughts, Granny. Praying for good news tomorrow.
Philat,

Prayer does work. The biopsy came back today. At least he doesn't have to go right into surgery at this point. I am just praying that the chemo, which is extensive for 2 months isn't to bad for him and that it gets all the cancer in the lymph nodes and never comes back. He will be followed very closely for months, years and the rest of his life, since it was in his lymph nodes. God does work miracles and we are all praying that things go well for him. He see's the Oncologist tomorrow, with his parents and the chemo starts next Wednesday.

Thanks for your prayers,
Granny7

Granny7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Moderator
 
Coffee Amore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: At the local coffee shop
Posts: 3,141
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

It must comforting for him that he has you and the twin brother. Are they identical twins? I was going to say perhaps the twin brother should be checked out as well just to be safe. Good luck to your other grandson. I hope he passes the bar exam and keeps the great job.
Coffee Amore is offline  
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Amore View Post
It must comforting for him that he has you and the twin brother. Are they identical twins? I was going to say perhaps the twin brother should be checked out as well just to be safe. Good luck to your other grandson. I hope he passes the bar exam and keeps the great job.
Hi Coffee Amore,
Yes, they are identical mirror image twins which is more rare, right and left brained. He also has a 22 yr. old brother who is living with them right now till he goes back to college in August, who he is close to also. They are all very close and help each other out, along with there parents. This kind of cancer does run in families, the identical twin has a 30% chance of getting the same thing and I pray he doesn't. This type of testicular cancer hits young males between the age of 15 and 35. They all do self exam's every month, blood work and CT scans when they are suppose to so that they don't have it happen to them.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I pray that his twin passes the bar also. I can't imagine if he doesn't, he's studying so hard.

Granny7
Granny7 is offline  
 
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,917
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Praying for your grandson Granny. A friend of mine's son had testicular cancer a while ago. His also came back. He had to have surgery the second time though, as well as additional chemo. Before his last surgery and chemo, he had his sperm frozen. He had just gotten married when the cancer came back and they wanted to have children. Needless to say, that was 4 or 5 years ago and he is now doing fine. He and his wife have a beautiful girl that is now 2 years old - thanks to modern medicine and lots of prayers!

Many prayers for your family.
karole is offline  
post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karole View Post
Praying for your grandson Granny. A friend of mine's son had testicular cancer a while ago. His also came back. He had to have surgery the second time though, as well as additional chemo. Before his last surgery and chemo, he had his sperm frozen. He had just gotten married when the cancer came back and they wanted to have children. Needless to say, that was 4 or 5 years ago and he is now doing fine. He and his wife have a beautiful girl that is now 2 years old - thanks to modern medicine and lots of prayers!

Many prayers for your family.
Hi karole,
Thanks for your kind words and prayers. My grandson did have his sperm frozen last week just for that reason. Not sure why he isn't having surgery in addition to chemo, but maybe that's a good thing for right now. I do know, from reading about it, that if it comes back again he would likely have surgery and chemo. He does have one of the top testicular cancer doctors treating him.

I am so happy for your friends son and I pray for the same results, hopefully without the surgery which I hear is not very good and difficult. He's going to be a wonderful Father and wants to have a wife and family, once he's through this and back full time with his job at the Law Firm. I just pray that he doesn't over do it, as he's talking about doing the infusions and going into work? I think his body is going to tell him different and I'm scared that if he pushes it, it will not help him heal like he should.

Did your friend's son, have a difficult time with his chemo? My daughter seems to feel that with the nausea medications he is going to be okay. I don't think she is being realistic. He's going to be having about 4 hrs. of infusions for 5 days in a row, like I said. Two week break and then go through it 3 more times. That's got to take a tole on his body. So, I am curious as to how your friend's son chemo went in reference to being sick and maybe even have to work?

Thanks for your prayers,

Granny7
Granny7 is offline  
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,917
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

To be honest Granny, I can't give you any info about his chemo. It wasn't a close friend of mine, it was the son of a man I worked with. I do know he is doing very well now and his cancer has not come back since his last treatment.
karole is offline  
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karole View Post
To be honest Granny, I can't give you any info about his chemo. It wasn't a close friend of mine, it was the son of a man I worked with. I do know he is doing very well now and his cancer has not come back since his last treatment.
karole,
Thanks for letting me know.
Granny7
Granny7 is offline  
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Jellybeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20,606
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Granny, some people do better with chemo than others but it is ROUGH. I witnessed two colleagues go through it at the same time and it was brutal to watch. People are so much stronger/resilient than we can even imagine.

That is great he has a treatment plan and such a loving family to support him at this time. Praying for your grandson/family!

Stay strong.
Jellybeans is offline  
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Member
 
Philat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,451
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Granny, JB is right. The farther along you get in the chemo course the more it affects you. My wife is a two-time breast cancer survivor, and the chemo did a number on her. But the operative word is "survivor." As in your grandson.

It will be OK.
Philat is offline  
post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philat View Post
Granny, JB is right. The farther along you get in the chemo course the more it affects you. My wife is a two-time breast cancer survivor, and the chemo did a number on her. But the operative word is "survivor." As in your grandson.

It will be OK.
Thanks Philat & Jellybeans,
I hear what your saying and I have heard that the 3rd. time of treatment is the worse. I don't see how any of it can be good, it's destroying all the good cells in the body, along with the bad ones. I know Brendan is so strong and positive in his thoughts, as is his whole family. I just hope is is prepared, in case it is worse than he thinks. He's such a wonderful young grandson and it kills me to see him going through this and all I can do is prepare drinks to make him stronger. I want to see him and give him a hug, but he stays so busy right now trying to get ahead in his work that we never see him. We are leaving on Tuesday to move my 94 yr. old Dad into a more helpful Assisted Living/dementia facility. Dad needs my help also, wish it wasn't 9 hrs. away. My back hates the drive, but Dad is worth it and so excited that I am coming to see him.

Thanks to everyone for all the good thoughts, I sure need them right now.

Blessings, Granny7

Granny7 is offline  
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 AM
Member
 
Jellybeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 20,606
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

That is a lot to deal with. Just stay positive. Oh and...

Jellybeans is offline  
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,782
My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

I'm sorry I'm catching up late on your thread. And again, sending you and your family blessings of Aloha.

If not too personal, what chemotherapeutic drug is he being administered? Make a huge difference in how he fairs through the process.
Ikaika is offline  
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drerio View Post
I'm sorry I'm catching up late on your thread. And again, sending you and your family blessings of Aloha.

If not too personal, what chemotherapeutic drug is he being administered? Make a huge difference in how he fairs through the process.
drerio,
No, I don't know. But I know it's a very aggressive dose for 5 days in a row. Two weeks off, then again 3 more times. It last about 2 months. He had the surgery a year and a half ago and the lymph node has increased in side from the last CT Scan taken 6 months ago. Blood work came back fine, but CT didn't. If I can find out, which might be hard to do, I'll let you know. His Aunt will know, not sure if she'll share it with me? Is there a reason you wanted to know?

Thanks for your best wishes, been there, it's beautiful.

Granny7
Granny7 is offline  
post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,782
My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny7 View Post
drerio,
No, I don't know. But I know it's a very aggressive dose for 5 days in a row. Two weeks off, then again 3 more times. It last about 2 months. He had the surgery a year and a half ago and the lymph node has increased in side from the last CT Scan taken 6 months ago. Blood work came back fine, but CT didn't. If I can find out, which might be hard to do, I'll let you know. His Aunt will know, not sure if she'll share it with me? Is there a reason you wanted to know?

Thanks for your best wishes, been there, it's beautiful.

Granny7

Not trying to be nosy (in Hawai'i we call it niele (knee eh lay)), just gives me an indication on the nature of treatment and the ability to withstand the treatment.

Background: I do some research in cancer, albeit mostly brain tumor related varieties.
Ikaika is offline  
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 589
Re: My Twin 26 yr. Old Grandson's Cancer Has Come Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drerio View Post
Not trying to be nosy (in Hawai'i we call it niele (knee eh lay)), just gives me an indication on the nature of treatment and the ability to withstand the treatment.

Background: I do some research in cancer, albeit mostly brain tumor related varieties.
drerio,

Didn't mean to insinuate that you were, sorry. I would love to know also, as it would give me a better understanding of what he might have to deal with. I will definitely try and find out, my daughter, unfortunately doesn't share much with me. I could call his Aunt, she will know.

I'm like you, in a second life (to old at 70 for it now) I would have been a doctor or nurse. I love helping people, especially family, the mentally challenged and the elderly. I love the smiles on there faces when they get attention that no one else gives to them.

I find the medical profession very interesting, so like you, I do a lot of research into things, like my grandson's cancer.

I'm glad that it didn't go to his brain. It all started with the testicular cancer, then one cell got into the lymph nodes. They were going to do a short round of chemo, but he was in his last semester of Law School and the doctor thought he would be okay? In hindsight, that would have been the best thing to do, but he felt comfortable waiting, based on the odd's and also wanted to graduate with his twin brother from Law School.

If I can find out, I will let you know, like I said.

Take care, Granny7
Granny7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
advice, cancer, grandchildren, help me please, stressed

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed re son and grandson's new daddy situation, visititation etc. Caterpillar The Family & Parenting Forums 18 01-19-2013 12:22 PM
Worried for my 12 years old grandson. redrainbows The Family & Parenting Forums 3 03-16-2011 02:07 PM
Married to Twin...please help :( ThirdWheel The Ladies' Lounge 7 03-21-2008 10:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome