Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - Online Counseling - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Focused Topics »Dealing with Grief and Loss » Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Dealing with Grief and Loss The grieving process is difficult. When we lose someone close to us, we go through many different emotions.

Like Tree16Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Henniker, the only one on Earth
Posts: 3,326
Default Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Long story short I adopted a dog right before I found out for sure my ex was lying to me. I found out later that in addition to being lied to about her age (and I got her through a rescue group and we had to pay a $600 donation to the group to get her, even though she came directly from her prior owner...) and her health, that she was poorly socialized and had anxiety issues.

Well, I kept her when I left my ex and still have her and she has recently developed horrible problems with pee and poop and eating stuff she shouldn't including legos any kind of small plastic toys and cat poop if she can't get cat poop then cat litter will do so long as it's not fresh out of the bag. She never plays with the kids and at night she will try to sneak into their room to eat toys or go check out the cat litter. Up until just today I was accommodating but today I snapped. Nope I didn't get mad I was just like this dog is useless and she's 11 years old and her life sucks and she's going senile. It's winter and she hates the cold so taking her for a walk is not an option. If I do take her for a walk she will not poop in one place nope she just lets it fall out here and there as a result i have to walk looking backwards because my town has a dog poop law. Sometimes I'll use 5 poop bags on one walk. It's ridiculous. I realized today I resent the dog and then I realized I actually hate her. She costs money and contributes nothing. She never played with my kids.

In fact, my kids and their toys are now squished into one room that has to be kept closed. at first it was only while we were out but now it's at night too. the dog will try to sneak in there when they're sleeping she will eat their toys. I'm not going to close my kids up in a room during winter when it's cold or summer when it's hot. My daughter has dust mite allergies she needs to have fresh air circulating. The dog will pee or poop or vomit while we're sleeping. I can't go anywhere. Before I would have to make arrangements and pay someone $10 a visit if I wanted to be out at her normal time for going outside or eating. The people I paid would even walk her. But now because she eats cat poop or litter and toys or whatever she can find when we're not home and soils and vomits there is no way I can even pay someone for that. I have a work opportunity but it's work study and pays barely, the dog care is $10 a visit.

The place where I adopted her through is trying to make me feel bad saying dog will have to be put down. I think it's time! Even though physically she is still fit she is mentally incompetent. If she ever was, competent. When I got her she had major anxiety issues. They got better but now that she's older it's just worse.

I have been through enough with my son being totally incontinent for 7 years and then my boyfriend having a brain hemorrhage and yes being incontinent and senile. I am not going to go through all that just for a dog to keep it alive another year so it can enjoy its senility as though it were a favorite aunt or grandmother. I don't have the finances or the time or energy to pamper a senile old dog. She never bonded with us because of her anxiety issues but we always took care of her anyway...walks grooming, surgery dog care, etc. Whatever it took including all the stupid poop bags on her walks.

I am done with owning a dog. And I hate the stupid guilt the adoption place is trying to make me feel for not caring that if I take her to the county shelter she will be put down because of age and behavior issues, neither of which I am going to lie about. I'm going to make an appt for her and get her vet records but honestly I don't care. I just want her gone. She's not even a dog any more, she's just a problem i want to have solved asap. I've been living with it so long and now I reached my tipping point and I snapped and came to my senses.

I wonder if this is what life does to someone...hardens their emotions so they really won't cry or anything at leaving an animal to be put down. I did work in an animal shelter and anyway a few months ago I decided if she needed any kind of vet care over $600 at her age I would put her down. Especially if she injured her intestines eating contraband legos or plastic animals again. My kids and me are prisoners because of the dog's stupid habits of wanting to eat crap she shouldn't when we're not home or worse sleeping or even just taking a shower or trying to use the toilet or do laundry! I can't crate her when we leave because we have no room for a crate in our apartment also just to go to the grocery store is a 3-hour trip. Also any kids activity is at least 2 hours. Crating is not an option. Dog care is not an option, any more. I already spent loads of money on it. But the way she is with the pee and poop and eating stuff and vomiting and possibly having injury to her intestines and putting a pet care giver in that position would be something I would never do to someone, not even if paying them $10 an hour it's not right.

Anyway, I am going to be glad to have her gone.
So that's my basic grief. The part of me that would care doesn't even exist any more. I suppose that's what my life has done to me. maybe losing my former boyfriend the way I did emotionally hardened me in some way that can never be repaired. I can't date anyone now who doesn't take care of their health. Too much eating, too much drinking, not enough exercise, too much stress, I am not interested at all. I went on a vegan diet and started paying more attention to exercise and to reduce my stress (including the ^&&^%%$$$$##### dog I suppose.)

The funny thing is, my kids don't bother me at all. They are important priority. I would be crushed if I lost them. And yet I know how life is, so I already have in back of my mind what I need to do if something happens to them, not to allow myself to get swallowed by grief. It is just a waste of time and it uses up resources. It doesn't bring anyone back at all. it just makes it worse. grief and giving in to grief I think that is something for wealthy people. It's not for people of little means. Probably that's why I am dependent on sedative every night. The VA gave it to me so I can function, so my life won't be worse by getting swallowed up in grief. I suppose it was the humane thing to do, and the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Even though it's covering up stuff with Rx, that's what life requires. In this life, the way our society is set up, that's just the way it needs to be. Even when I lost my dad when I was 17, a few months later no more social security, I had to fend for myself. I joined the military. people said how tough I was? Well what was I supposed to do? Live on the streets on nothing? In rural NH, there aren't even any streets worth living on, lol.


Anyway, I am grieving the loss of grief. For starters, it's not a viable economic option, and it just goes downhill from there.
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
827Aug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 4,185
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Wow! At least you tried. You should have a clear conscience when you give her up. I think I would probably have her euthanized myself, rather than her go to the shelter though. I'm really very fortunate that my dog is an angel and a lot of fun. Your story makes me appreciate her much more.
827Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 365
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Look for a no kill shelter in you area or a pet rescue on the net,A lot of times they will take dogs from different parts of the country just start searching the net.
dubbizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator
 
827Aug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern USA
Posts: 4,185
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbizle View Post
Look for a no kill shelter in you area or a pet rescue on the net,A lot of times they will take dogs from different parts of the country just start searching the net.
You really have to be careful when a shelter is listed as a "no kill" shelter. Although some shelters don't euthanize, they have arrangements for transfers.

What bothers me is that someone else may adopt this dog. The next person may not be nearly as patient and compassionate as Homemaker. At 12 years of age this, dog is not going to change for the better.
827Aug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
ScaredandUnsure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere in the world
Posts: 738
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

I feel ya. I adopted a cat from a rescue last year and they lied about his temperment with other animals. Said he was good with them, but yeah he's not. He hates them and torments my 4 yr old cat. He's also attacked raccoons and opposums. He's really an unlikeable animal, at least to me. He's also been spraying in my house recently and I can't even begin to tell you how much that makes me hate him. Now it looks like he's losing weight and getting sick...again. I'm thinking of taking him back to the rescue, he needs a home with no other animals and where he can be the sole attention getter.

Could you take your dog back to the rescue you got her from?
__________________
Taco Bell Hero! Dah, Dah, Dah, Daaaaah! May I take your order?

ScaredandUnsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,635
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

As a foster I can't help but feel sorry that the dog will be dumped at a shelter then put to sleep.

She's 11 years old and it sounds like her life with you has been an absolute nightmare...taking her to a strange and scary shelter when she already has anxiety issues is cruel.I get that you hate her and want her gone but do you have to go about it in such a way as to make the last moments of her life full of fear?

I don't think you should keep a dog you hate but there has to be another way to handle putting her down. You should be there with her when it happens. You made a commitment to love her for the rest of her life and that includes being there for her when she is put to death.

If it's a money thing as far as taking her to your vet and having her put down in a familiar environment, start a chip-in account...I'll pay for her to be put down if you can promise to be there for her when it happens.

No dog,no matter how horribly behaved they are,deserves to die alone in an unfamiliar environment.

I'm not shaming you for being fed up.Some dogs are simply intolerable and it would be worse for you to keep her and hate her as much as you do.

It sounds like even if you try to find a new home for her,she'll end up being put down bc of all her issues and the fact that she's a senior.So it's better for you to take her to her vet and have it handled.
__________________
"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right"
~Ricky Gervais
ScarletBegonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,621
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

You say you don't care, but I'm not sure I buy that.

Have you thought of maybe trying to rehome her on Craigslist or trying a different rescue group? (Btw - $600?? That's ridiculous! What did they do to earn that?!)

I've had problem dogs before. They are a pain in the butt, that's for sure. I don't blame you for being frustrated.

Hoping for the best outcome for all involved...
Posted via Mobile Device
YinPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Henniker, the only one on Earth
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredandUnsure View Post
I feel ya. I adopted a cat from a rescue last year and they lied about his temperment with other animals. Said he was good with them, but yeah he's not. He hates them and torments my 4 yr old cat. He's also attacked raccoons and opposums. He's really an unlikeable animal, at least to me. He's also been spraying in my house recently and I can't even begin to tell you how much that makes me hate him. Now it looks like he's losing weight and getting sick...again. I'm thinking of taking him back to the rescue, he needs a home with no other animals and where he can be the sole attention getter.

Could you take your dog back to the rescue you got her from?
You'd think that I could. I contacted them first. I mean, I paid a $600 fee and promised to send her back to them if I couldn't keep her for any reason. I assumed that's what the $600 was for! Nope, they said I was on my own. They don't even have my contract. She wasn't interested at all in helping me place her. WTF!????

I'm going to call around to some other people I know who have rescue dogs and a woman I know who has rescue horses and knows people with money and time and energy and inclincation to rescue dogs, and who know me and my kids.
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Henniker, the only one on Earth
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
As a foster I can't help but feel sorry that the dog will be dumped at a shelter then put to sleep.

She's 11 years old and it sounds like her life with you has been an absolute nightmare...taking her to a strange and scary shelter when she already has anxiety issues is cruel.I get that you hate her and want her gone but do you have to go about it in such a way as to make the last moments of her life full of fear?

I don't think you should keep a dog you hate but there has to be another way to handle putting her down. You should be there with her when it happens. You made a commitment to love her for the rest of her life and that includes being there for her when she is put to death.

If it's a money thing as far as taking her to your vet and having her put down in a familiar environment, start a chip-in account...I'll pay for her to be put down if you can promise to be there for her when it happens.

No dog,no matter how horribly behaved they are,deserves to die alone in an unfamiliar environment.

I'm not shaming you for being fed up.Some dogs are simply intolerable and it would be worse for you to keep her and hate her as much as you do.

It sounds like even if you try to find a new home for her,she'll end up being put down bc of all her issues and the fact that she's a senior.So it's better for you to take her to her vet and have it handled.
Calm down. You're as anxious as my dog, maybe even more!
I never said I was going to 'dump' her.

You cannot just dump an animal here in NH. You have to fill out a 4-page form and make an appointment. There is even a fee to leave your animal at a shelter. If she has to be put down because she's not adoptable or doesn't pass the physical for re-adoption or fostering (i.e. she might have terminal brain cancer for all I know) then it's not done as a result of dumping. It's done as a last resort.

I've put down a dog before, when I adopted it, it turned out it had distemper. I adopted from a no-kill shelter, I paid a big fee for this little dog, then had my heart broken. I was a college student, and I even paid my neighbors to baby sit the dog. Finally one day she had more than one seizure and I had to take her to be put down. Then I had to go and take a final right after. I cried through the exam. Then my instructor accused me of cheating because I'd been crying during the exam. I had to go to a review board and re-take a test under extreme conditions....and I brought my vet record to that exam and showed it to the proctor. I could have lost my commission in the military and my scholarship and my reputation on account of that professor. I really, really, really dislike people who jump to conclusions.

If you know me, you know I'm a Quaker. I have a lot of respect for life. Dumping a dog. Did I say that? Oh, right, I'm not upset at all. That's why I posted here. To brag that I was going to dump my dog and have her killed while I was out partying. Because I'm such a b*tch I don't even need any support, I just want a high five on this one. Sure thing. Thanks.

Sounds like you're one of those people who's better with animals than people.

Up until a few weeks ago I went the distance for her. Then her mental status took a nose dive. She cannot be left alone. I work, I have kids, one of whom has a developmental disability. Get a grip. I can't baby sit an elderly dog with dementia. One who has developed habits that are life-threatening (eating nonfood items when left alone...)
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
ScarletBegonias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,635
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

wow. you took my post TOTALLY wrong. But that 's fine. No use explaining it. You're obviously heated enough to lash out at someone who is trying to help so whatever.

You don't have to answer to me for your choices with this animal's life.So there's no point in arguing. I see people like you every single day in the rescue world and it's sad for ALL involved.

and when you take a dog to a shelter...it IS dumping them.
__________________
"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right"
~Ricky Gervais
ScarletBegonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,621
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Homemaker, you are always calm, level-headed, in control and objective... I think this IS really eating you up.

You gave the dog a chance. For whatever reason it just didn't work out. You may even feel a little guilty about it - that's NORMAL. I think SB was just trying to give her perspective on things - she has compassion for you just like she has compassion for your dog.

What is your dog's name?
Posted via Mobile Device
YinPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
wow. you took my post TOTALLY wrong. But that 's fine. No use explaining it. You're obviously heated enough to lash out at someone who is trying to help so whatever.

You don't have to answer to me for your choices with this animal's life.So there's no point in arguing. I see people like you every single day in the rescue world and it's sad for ALL involved.

and when you take a dog to a shelter...it IS dumping them.
She's upset, whether she realizes it or not. It's a tough situation to be in, I was in one similar (dog with major health issues) for several years. It's just not easy. (I'm sure, being a foster, you know how tough it can be).

I wouldn't take her response personally. I think it's very out of character for her.
Posted via Mobile Device
YinPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
daisygirl 41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,940
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Homemaker, I feel for your situation. I'm an animal lover too. Until 4 months ago we had 2 terriers but one of them had mental issues and became nervous, anxious and aggressive towards the other dog, she also bit my H. We took her to the vet and he advised us to have her put to sleep. I would say it was a tough decision, but it wasn't, it was the BEST thing to do for the dog and my family. The house was full of stress with her and I was worried about her around my kids. It sounds like you have given it a good to with this dog, but your sanity must come first. I know you are going to, but please don't feel guilty and don't feel as if you have to justify your actions. Do what's best for your family and the dog.
Hugs
X
Posted via Mobile Device
daisygirl 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Henniker, the only one on Earth
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
wow. you took my post TOTALLY wrong. But that 's fine. No use explaining it. You're obviously heated enough to lash out at someone who is trying to help so whatever.

You don't have to answer to me for your choices with this animal's life.So there's no point in arguing. I see people like you every single day in the rescue world and it's sad for ALL involved.

and when you take a dog to a shelter...it IS dumping them.
I'm a linguist. And dumping is a negative word. I believe the correct terminology that all of the shelters here in NH use is called 'surrendering.' Not one site uses the word dump. You used an inflammatory word and an overly negative one, and people who do this do it for one reason and one reason only - to incite argument and to be critical.
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Henniker, the only one on Earth
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Giving up my dog (she'll probably be put down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinPrincess View Post
Homemaker, you are always calm, level-headed, in control and objective... I think this IS really eating you up.

You gave the dog a chance. For whatever reason it just didn't work out. You may even feel a little guilty about it - that's NORMAL. I think SB was just trying to give her perspective on things - she has compassion for you just like she has compassion for your dog.

What is your dog's name?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yah, I was lied to. Just like my marriage. And I have put up with it for over two years, despite expense and accommodations for the dog. Because I didn't have the guts to force the confrontation that needed to happen when I took home a sick dog who needed surgery and who had behavior issues that were clearly inconsistent with my family situation and my financial ability. Lesson learned. The buck was passed to me. Those people who lied to me didn't want to put her down because then everyone would have criticized them for their decision.

Maybe I should lie on the forms, and she'll go to another unsuspecting family and then have to be put down. But I can tell myself it was justifiable to give her the best chance? I don't think so!

I can't lie. Even if other people can.
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love giving oral for 10-15 minutes. I hate giving oral for any longer. Aristotle Sex in Marriage 49 11-28-2013 10:22 PM
Giving up on him? gij0j07 Considering Divorce or Separation 4 06-13-2012 04:10 AM
I need more then he is giving. Wants&needs Sex in Marriage 30 07-22-2010 12:47 PM
Almost giving up......... crazynluv The Ladies' Lounge 10 10-20-2009 07:57 PM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads





Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage