my daughter - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
The Family & Parenting Forums Family dynamics can be exactly that - dynamic! Post here about family related issues such as parenting, blended families, step-families, new relationships with children involved, family of origin issues, in-laws or sibling issues.

User Tag List

 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 398
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
I'm a physician with a specialty in endocrinology, so the answer to that would be yes. And, yep, decades of successful track record.

No, I didn't lose 100 pounds in 9 months, because I never got overweight to begin with.

And that you stop spouting off crap that you know nothing about.
Endocrinology does not qualify you to discuss weight loss. Talk to me when I have glandular issues. Excuse me but there is smoke emanating from you pants.


Last edited by EleGirl; 11-29-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: removed inappropriate language
KillerClown is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:46 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila View Post
Instead of telling those who disagree with you to Fu $k off, why don't you try explaining your point? If you do the math, your wife is burning more calories than her base metabolic caloric burn (most women have a bmr of about 800-1000 calories). Bmr is the minimum number of calories a body needs to stay alive assuming they did nothing but breathe/sleep. Any additional activity including taking, thinking, walking, eating, cooking needs additional calories. More exercise = more calories. Are you sure your wife didn't reduce the number of calories by 600 -800 from what she was eating?
Agree.

I can't imagine a legitimate healthcare professional who would advise anyone to eat 600-800 calories a day, especially when they were doing that much cardio.

Getting back to the OP - I think it's great that you are concerned and certainly nothing YOU did caused this. Like turnera said, some of it may be due to emotions relating to her relationship. Unfortunately, she has to be the one to make the decision to reverse it. All you can do is be supportive and there for her if she needs it.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
katies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 278
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerClown View Post
Endocrinology does not qualify you to discuss weight loss. .
But, you can as a "husband?"
katies is offline  
 
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerClown View Post
Endocrinology does not qualify you to discuss weight loss.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! That is the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!!!!

OMG. Endocrinology is all about Type 2 diabetes. Which is All. About. Weight. Loss. That's what I DO.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 398
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katies View Post
But, you can as a "husband?"
No, I just know what the doctor says because I accompany her on her visits. I hear her talking to the nutritionist from the clinic on an almost weekly basis. She is also under the care of a general practitioner who is monitoring her test results. Believe what you want. This is my reality.
KillerClown is offline  
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 398
Re: my daughter

I have a high metabolism and never been overweight. I used to think like you. "These fat b!tches needs to stop eating sh!t and get out and exercise." Until I had to see first hand what it took to actually lose weight.

After 22 years of struggling through Weight Watchers and diet plans, my wife finally lost weight. It took her heroic will power to make it happen and you will not dismiss her pain, sweat and tears. If you are a real physician, you need to improve your attitude.
KillerClown is offline  
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 292
Re: my daughter

I think the best thing would be to keep working out with her. Yoga and swimming are good, but they probably don't burn enough calories to really make a significant difference unless the person is really dedicated to the workout. Would you be willing to take up Zumba and go with her? I recommend Zumba specifically because it can be a "fun" way to exercise and the participants are generally supportive to all body types. If you haven't done it, it's a Latin-based dance class with simple moves that you build upon. Pretty much anyone can do it, and you'll get a great workout.

Another reason I recommend Zumba is that it is often social and people often leave with smiles on their faces. You can tell they had a good time and they feel better about themselves. This change in mood may make her more willing to make lifestyle changes to improve her health.

If she's eating crap all day, that will need to change for her to lose weight. In today's leisure society, it's it trivially easy to pack on the pounds even if you don't eat crap. Somehow she has to be motivated to eat better. I think a fun exercise like Zumba surrounded by healthy people will help her change her viewpoint.

I would also not bring up her weight or eating habits at all. If she brings them up, discuss them as sensitively as you can. She already knows she's eating crap and is overweight. Keep working out with her and hopefully she'll find the desire to lose the weight.
wilson is offline  
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerClown View Post
No, I just know what the doctor says because I accompany her on her visits. I hear her talking to the nutritionist from the clinic on an almost weekly basis. She is also under the care of a general practitioner who is monitoring her test results. Believe what you want. This is my reality.
So why don't you share with the OP what the nutritionist has said and recommended? Why don't you share what the GP has said, and by the way, what "test results" are you referring to?

OP - Question for you. Does she ever say to you (or others) that she wants to lose weight?
Hope Shimmers is offline  
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
katies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 278
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerClown View Post
I have a high metabolism and never been overweight. I used to think like you. "These fat b!tches needs to stop eating sh!t and get out and exercise." .
Really? We all think like that? Jesus. Not one person said that or even implied it. Just stay off this thread maybe.
I once weighed 180 and now weigh 125.
It takes exactly what Hope said it would - a lifestyle change. I eat 1500 calories a day and hardly EVER do cardio. That's MY reality.
katies is offline  
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
katies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 278
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post

OP - Question for you. Does she ever say to you (or others) that she wants to lose weight?
She says she wants to get healthy and eat healthier.

katies is offline  
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 911
People become obese because they over eat. They over eat because they are unhappy or filling a void. First find out why she over eats. Probably won't be easy, even if you're her mother. She's hiding something deep down. Something in her life needs to go so she be free and happy.
GuyInColorado is online now  
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
katies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 278
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
I think the best thing would be to keep working out with her. Yoga and swimming are good, but they probably don't burn enough calories to really make a significant difference unless the person is really dedicated to the workout. Would you be willing to take up Zumba and go with her? I recommend Zumba specifically because it can be a "fun" way to exercise and the participants are generally supportive to all body types. If you haven't done it, it's a Latin-based dance class with simple moves that you build upon. Pretty much anyone can do it, and you'll get a great workout.

Another reason I recommend Zumba is that it is often social and people often leave with smiles on their faces. You can tell they had a good time and they feel better about themselves. This change in mood may make her more willing to make lifestyle changes to improve her health.

If she's eating crap all day, that will need to change for her to lose weight. In today's leisure society, it's it trivially easy to pack on the pounds even if you don't eat crap. Somehow she has to be motivated to eat better. I think a fun exercise like Zumba surrounded by healthy people will help her change her viewpoint.

I would also not bring up her weight or eating habits at all. If she brings them up, discuss them as sensitively as you can. She already knows she's eating crap and is overweight. Keep working out with her and hopefully she'll find the desire to lose the weight.
I have taken Zumba. She chose the yoga and swimming. It is something she can do well- she is a former college swimmer - so I think she wants to stick with that, although I know what you say that it isn't burning many calories but I guess I feel good being her wing man in working out.
katies is offline  
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
katies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 278
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInColorado View Post
People become obese because they over eat. They over eat because they are unhappy or filling a void. First find out why she over eats. Probably won't be easy, even if you're her mother. She's hiding something deep down. Something in her life needs to go so she be free and happy.
I agree with this and it makes me so sad.
I offered to pay for therapy when they were going through their tough times.
They didn't take me up on it.
katies is offline  
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 398
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Shimmers View Post
So why don't you share with the OP what the nutritionist has said and recommended? Why don't you share what the GP has said, and by the way, what "test results" are you referring to?
She goes in for regular blood testing. We are increasing her iron intake at the recommendation of her nutritionist. We are also increasing her protein intake to compensate for her increased physical activity. Otherwise, her incision healed quite well and we are looking forward to the skin removal in couple of years.
KillerClown is offline  
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Hope Shimmers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: US
Posts: 456
Re: my daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerClown View Post
She goes in for regular blood testing. We are increasing her iron intake at the recommendation of her nutritionist. We are also increasing her protein intake to compensate for her increased physical activity. Otherwise, her incision healed quite well and we are looking forward to the skin removal in couple of years.
I have no idea what that means. Her incision? Did she have gastric bypass surgery?

You have offered nothing useful to transfer to the OP.

Never mind. You are not the focus of this thread.
Hope Shimmers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daughter is tearing our family apart, and now I am paying the price Learner General Relationship Discussion 151 08-11-2016 08:01 PM
Did my husband just hit on my 26 year old daughter ChrisAnn The Ladies' Lounge 133 05-11-2016 12:48 PM
Need advice from women about situation with daughter. Quadronos The Ladies' Lounge 12 04-15-2016 06:05 PM
Help! 17 year old daughter is pregnant nikoled The Family & Parenting Forums 144 02-22-2016 08:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome