The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row? - Talk About Marriage
The Family & Parenting Forums Family dynamics can be exactly that - dynamic! Post here about family related issues such as parenting, blended families, step-families, new relationships with children involved, family of origin issues, in-laws or sibling issues.

User Tag List

 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Supporter
 
TX-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,461
The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

I don't get it. How do you people pull it off? I have two teen daughters (15 and 13) and I volunteer teaching archery and fishing for the local 4H. Of course, I also have a business to run and have a couple of my own hobbies to pursue when I can. I just never feel like I'm on top of things. It's more reactionary than planned. I always have the best of intentions, and my plans usually come out fine, but it's ALWAYS seat of the pants, last minute stuff.

I have a jam session Friday night. It's a once a month deal. I had huge plans to learn a new song. Now here it is two days before and I have done nothing. I also have an archery tournament Saturday morning. Have I practiced enough? Not by a long shot.

Really, how do you guys stay ahead of the curve?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk


"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!" Victor Von Frankenstein
TX-SC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Forum Supporter
 
CynthiaDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,242
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-SC View Post
Have I practiced enough? Not by a long shot.

That was punny.

When I have a plan in advance things are a lot easier for me. Sometimes I've very organized and everything goes really smooth. Sometimes I am not organized at all and even if things go well, I still don't feel comfortable and I'm nervous until it's all over.

For more on my marriage philosophies check out the marriage section of my website:
The Feminine Review

Standard Evidence Thread: http://talkaboutmarriage.com/coping-...ence-post.html
CynthiaDe is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,896
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Sometimes you hit the bulleye and sometimes you just hit a sour note...but as long when you come home the family knows who you are that is what really counts.
Lostinthought61 is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Forum Supporter
 
blueinbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,938
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Try not spending as much time here.
blueinbr is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Member
 
FeministInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,921
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-SC View Post
I don't get it. How do you people pull it off? I have two teen daughters (15 and 13) and I volunteer teaching archery and fishing for the local 4H. Of course, I also have a business to run and have a couple of my own hobbies to pursue when I can. I just never feel like I'm on top of things. It's more reactionary than planned. I always have the best of intentions, and my plans usually come out fine, but it's ALWAYS seat of the pants, last minute stuff.

I have a jam session Friday night. It's a once a month deal. I had huge plans to learn a new song. Now here it is two days before and I have done nothing. I also have an archery tournament Saturday morning. Have I practiced enough? Not by a long shot.

Really, how do you guys stay ahead of the curve?
I don't know. I'm trying to get organized, because I want to accomplish more. And I don't have kids in my mix.

I bought a planner, because I always do better with planners, but I've been hit or miss so far. There are a few things I'm doing better with, but I'm not yet where I want to be. For me, a big problem is motivation.

What kind of jam session? I've been learning to play the ukulele (I should practice tonight!), and there's a jam session once a month (somewhat) nearby. I want to start going to that.

~Happily un-married since December 9, 2013~
FeministInPink is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Supporter
 
TX-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,461
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministInPink View Post
I don't know. I'm trying to get organized, because I want to accomplish more. And I don't have kids in my mix.

I bought a planner, because I always do better with planners, but I've been hit or miss so far. There are a few things I'm doing better with, but I'm not yet where I want to be. For me, a big problem is motivation.

What kind of jam session? I've been learning to play the ukulele (I should practice tonight!), and there's a jam session once a month (somewhat) nearby. I want to start going to that.
It's a bluegrass jam. I play guitar and banjo. It's a lot of fun!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!" Victor Von Frankenstein
TX-SC is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,148
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

I feel the same...my kids are young so I often feel like I have a hard enough time keeping my own life together, adding in all of their school assignments and extra curricular things makes me crazy. I feel like at least once a week I forget to do something for them. Last night I completely forgot my daughter had a girl scouts meeting, until my husband came home and asked why she was at home instead of the meeting. Had to shove her in the car half dressed and get her in uniform as we were walking into the school. We showed up 15 mins late....at least she got there. I often forget to sign forms that need to go back to school, and never remember any of the cutesy stuff at school like pajama day or whatever.

I have a demanding full time job plus somehow get myself involved in volunteer positions on top of that, and end up just feeling like a mess.

My biggest issue is my anxiety and depression. I often bite off more than I can chew, then subsequently freak out and cancel things, then feel bad about canceling and end up in a shame spiral. I'm either running around frantically or lifeless on the couch.
kag123 is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Supporter
 
TX-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,461
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag123 View Post
I feel the same...my kids are young so I often feel like I have a hard enough time keeping my own life together, adding in all of their school assignments and extra curricular things makes me crazy. I feel like at least once a week I forget to do something for them. Last night I completely forgot my daughter had a girl scouts meeting, until my husband came home and asked why she was at home instead of the meeting. Had to shove her in the car half dressed and get her in uniform as we were walking into the school. We showed up 15 mins late....at least she got there. I often forget to sign forms that need to go back to school, and never remember any of the cutesy stuff at school like pajama day or whatever.

I have a demanding full time job plus somehow get myself involved in volunteer positions on top of that, and end up just feeling like a mess.

My biggest issue is my anxiety and depression. I often bite off more than I can chew, then subsequently freak out and cancel things, then feel bad about canceling and end up in a shame spiral. I'm either running around frantically or lifeless on the couch.
One of my girls is in GS too, and right now she is in cookie sales season. That just adds to the list of things to do. If you get it all figured out, let me know!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!" Victor Von Frankenstein
TX-SC is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Member
 
FeministInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,921
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-SC View Post
It's a bluegrass jam. I play guitar and banjo. It's a lot of fun!
That's awesome! My uncle plays the banjo, and loves bluegrass music. He and I had one another's names in the Christmas exchange this year; he got me a new ukulele, and I got him a whole bunch of bluegrass CDs that he wanted (which were surprisingly hard to find, BTW).

I also play the guitar, but just strumming chords, really, so I can sing along. It's one of my goals over the next few years to learn how to REALLY play it. I'm not really sure what style I want to learn, though. I have a standard acoustic.

~Happily un-married since December 9, 2013~
FeministInPink is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Supporter
 
TX-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,461
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministInPink View Post
That's awesome! My uncle plays the banjo, and loves bluegrass music. He and I had one another's names in the Christmas exchange this year; he got me a new ukulele, and I got him a whole bunch of bluegrass CDs that he wanted (which were surprisingly hard to find, BTW).

I also play the guitar, but just strumming chords, really, so I can sing along. It's one of my goals over the next few years to learn how to REALLY play it. I'm not really sure what style I want to learn, though. I have a standard acoustic.
Look up the following people on Youtube: Doc Watson, Norman Blake, and Tony Rice.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk


"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!" Victor Von Frankenstein
TX-SC is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Member
 
FeministInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,921
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

I'm impressed that y'all remember that stuff for your kids. I was responsible for remembering when all my lessons, GS meeting, etc. were... I don't think my mom ever kept a calendar, or really kept track. (I lived within walking distance of my elementary school, so that worked in her favor.) Of course, her idea of parenting was "benign neglect." If I needed to be picked up somewhere... well, let's just say that I spent a lot of time waiting, and on occasion was forgotten completely. In high school, the band director gave me a ride home more than once when no one came to pick me up, and no one picked up the phone at home.

~Happily un-married since December 9, 2013~
FeministInPink is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Member
 
FeministInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,921
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-SC View Post
Look up the following people on Youtube: Doc Watson, Norman Blake, and Tony Rice.
Thanks, I will!

~Happily un-married since December 9, 2013~
FeministInPink is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Member
 
rockon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: land of liquid sunshine (Florida)
Posts: 765
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinbr View Post
Try not spending as much time here.
I was thinking the same. How do you find time to post on TAM?!!!!
rockon is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Member
 
FeministInPink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,921
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockon View Post
I was thinking the same. How do you find time to post on TAM?!!!!
It can be a HUGE time suck. I'm thinking of taking a self-imposed hiatus.

~Happily un-married since December 9, 2013~
FeministInPink is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Member
 
rockon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: land of liquid sunshine (Florida)
Posts: 765
Re: The concept of being organized/having your ducks in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeministInPink View Post
It can be a HUGE time suck. I'm thinking of taking a self-imposed hiatus.
Not to long please.
rockon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The concept of TAM? TX-SC The Social Spot 33 07-18-2016 01:32 AM
How do you feel about the concept of hell and people suffering for all eternity? Quadronos The Social Spot 64 05-14-2016 07:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome