Out of frustration and fear I've decided to keep a separate budget. He works full time and makes good money, I love my job, work 3/4 time and make quite a bit less. He buys anything he wants and is frivolous and doesn't keep track of what he spends and I am sure he spends more than he makes. My goal with my own money is to spend less than I make. I budget and save, it's tight. He puts 200 dollars into a joint account for me. So I get by on $1,700.00 a month. Car, school loan, clothes, personal, cats and half the groceries.
I've decided it's time for me to use some of my Roth IRA in 5 months-I will be 59 1/2-to boost my income and buy things I need and for a little more. He is cheap, anxious and scattered. I don't know where this is all going, but I am going to take care of myself and not let him control my life anymore. It angers me when he is so free and easy with his (our???) money, but he refuses to reel it in. Comments???
This is how I setup the finances for Mrs.CuddleBug and I.
- we both have our own original bank accounts (joint spousal)
- we both have our own credit cards (joint spousal)
- we both have our own cars
- I have BCAA Premier that covers both of us
- we both have our own cell phones
- both both have our own monthly bills to pay
- share of bills paid on who makes more money, so its fair and equal
- Mrs.CuddleBug can buy whatever toys she wants as long as she pays her share of the monthly bills
- I can buy all the toys I want as well as long as I pay my share of the monthly bills
We never fight about money, who bought what, I need the car to go out, etc.
I setup our finances this way because I wanted Mrs.CuddleBug to be my equal in everything and independent. Since I'm more aggressive, I do the finances and make sure all bills are paid early.