Potential lay-off: Should I stick it out or jump ship?
I have a job I quite enjoy. It's not my dream job, but it's definitely perfect for right now and gets my foot in the door for what I want to do eventually. Also, I'd rather not uproot my routine or make any huge changes just yet. (I'd be more ready to do so in about a year, after I get some other ducks in a row.)
To make a long story short, management is terrible and they've lost a few contracts this year in other units. Sales are down everywhere. The contract in my unit was up for renewal in March. It was not renewed, but was extended for 3 months. My guess is another company wasn't found in time to replace us and so our contract was simply extended in order to buy time. TBH, I don't blame them for not renewing it. Things haven't been operating smoothly and there have been tons of problems. None of these problems are a result of the staff, myself included. We do what we're told, but the decisions being made (or not made) aren't helping anything. There's nothing we can do it terms of feedback, suggestions, etc. We've tried to get involved in that process only to be shut out. (Trust me, we've tried.)
Basically, we need to sit back and see what happens.
I don't know what to do.
Going to work every day when you don't know if you'll have a job in a few weeks is brutal. It's bringing down team morale and causing tension. We're worried about our jobs.
I've inquired what will happen to us and management told me that if they lose the contract they are obligated to me a job elsewhere within the company. Here's the catch, though: My employer is only obligated to find the staff other employment if their employer (the contract holder) stops all services. (As in, doesn't hire another company to provide the services we do.) In that circumstance, the staff is not considered at fault and other employment will be found. This is unlikely as our services are needed, but they have other options in terms of providers.
However, if the contract holder goes with a different service provider they can choose to keep us on or not. If so, cool. Everything works out. If they choose not to, though, my employer is NOT obligated to find me work as I was hired for a unit that is still functioning, just not with our services.
I'm keeping an eye open for other jobs, yes, but I'm not sure if I want to apply. What if things do work out at my current job? What if I change jobs and it's a disaster? My biggest fear is that we'll be left in the dark as to the status and blindsided and unemployed. (I don't trust my employers and I get the feeling they'll find a loop hole to get rid of us if they can should the contract not get renewed.) It'd be easy to just wait it out if I actually though the 3 months was a definitive timeline, but based on the way the last renewal date came (and went) negotiations could go on and on. There's also a possibility the contract doesn't get renewed and my employer puts me somewhere I love. Or hate. Basically, there are a lot of unknowns and I don't know how to handle it anymore. I can't enjoy myself. Any penny I spend puts me in a panic because I don't know if I'll have a job in 3 months. Should I continue on as is (no big purchases, obviously) or should I start pinching? Should I just relax and take it day by day?
Thanks so much for reading such a boring topic, lol. I appreciate it.