Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake? - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
General Relationship Discussion Although anyone can post anywhere on Talk About Marriage, this section is for people interested in general relationship and marriage advice.

User Tag List

 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,517
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Why will it cause hostility from you side of the family?

Diana7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 160
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Is your husband's name on the title and the mortgage? If so, he can force a sale, split the equity with mommy and everyone go their own way. If only mommy's name, he is probably screwed out of the equity. I strongly suggest your husband consult with a real estate attorney in the area where the house is located to find out his rights.

IamSomebody
IamSomebody is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana7 View Post
Why will it cause hostility from you side of the family?
My family is very attached to my children. My father is like his mother to an extent. He believes that he is within his rights as a father to try and dictate the lives of his adult children. Usually, he'll be angry with me or my siblings for a time when we don't agree with him, but he always gets over it. My parents both believe that my kids and I are better off near them. Mostly, I think they say that simply because they are so attached and not being near us will be very difficult for them. On my end, there will be a period of time where they'll be upset, but they'll realize and accept that this is for the best. On his end, I don't know how his family will respond because he's never moved out of his mother's home, much less moved several states away.
ladyskraps is offline  
 
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSomebody View Post
Is your husband's name on the title and the mortgage? If so, he can force a sale, split the equity with mommy and everyone go their own way. If only mommy's name, he is probably screwed out of the equity. I strongly suggest your husband consult with a real estate attorney in the area where the house is located to find out his rights.

IamSomebody
Actually, we just found out a couple days ago that his mother refinanced and cashed in the equity on the home 5 years ago. He's been paying half the mortgage as part of an agreement that he would end up wth the home after his mother was gone. I think this was the final straw in him deciding to put in the transfer at last.
ladyskraps is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,517
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyskraps View Post
Actually, we just found out a couple days ago that his mother refinanced and cashed in the equity on the home 5 years ago. He's been paying half the mortgage as part of an agreement that he would end up wth the home after his mother was gone. I think this was the final straw in him deciding to put in the transfer at last.
Besides that she isnt very old and could easily live for another 30 years! If she cashed this in its hard to see why she can't afford this on her own. She can always downsize as well. If he leaves she will only need one bedroom.
Diana7 is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,517
Re: Husband May Never Move Out of His Mother's House. Did I make a huge mistake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyskraps View Post
My family is very attached to my children. My father is like his mother to an extent. He believes that he is within his rights as a father to try and dictate the lives of his adult children. Usually, he'll be angry with me or my siblings for a time when we don't agree with him, but he always gets over it. My parents both believe that my kids and I are better off near them. Mostly, I think they say that simply because they are so attached and not being near us will be very difficult for them. On my end, there will be a period of time where they'll be upset, but they'll realize and accept that this is for the best. On his end, I don't know how his family will respond because he's never moved out of his mother's home, much less moved several states away.
Its understandable that they will miss the children of course, but with your dad the way he is, it maybe advisable for you to move away anyway.
Diana7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very nice Mother's Day message jld The Social Spot 2 05-07-2016 08:45 AM
He wants to move... I want to stay Charlie1316 General Relationship Discussion 23 04-27-2016 11:20 AM
scared of making a mistake rochellew Considering Divorce or Separation 18 03-07-2016 09:20 AM
Relationship help moving in please n thx! Flower14 General Relationship Discussion 5 01-11-2016 10:26 AM
My Cousin About To Make a HUGE Mistake knobcreek The Men's Clubhouse 12 01-10-2016 03:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome