On the brink of divorce - Talk About Marriage
General Relationship Discussion Although anyone can post anywhere on Talk About Marriage, this section is for people interested in general relationship and marriage advice.

User Tag List

 33Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
On the brink of divorce

My husband and I have been married over 12 years. Weve had infidelity issues (by him), but not for 9 years. It has been a long road to regain trust.

He started a new job 1 year ago and I found out he was hiding relationships with female coworkers. He assured me they were platonic, but later told me that he was sexually attracted to one of them, and hoped we could have a threesome someday. Obviously this was concerning to me. We agreed he would let me know if he was going to go out with them outside of work, and just be more transparent in general.

Several incidents have occurred where he has not kept up with our agreement. He feels that he should be able to do what he wants and tell me later (vs before), or I should just trust that hes making the right decisions. Recently he went out for a corporate event in which he stayed out until the next morning (very atypical). He did not tell me he was going somewhere after the event. We did not discuss it until the next day. He finally, after a lot of discussion, admitted this was wrong.

The following week he was at another corporate event. Before the event, he said he was going to hang out with the female coworkers. There was not enough time so he did not end up doing that. The event ended early and he then went out with them. I was irritated that he chose to go out with them, instead of coming home to see me (considering wed been arguing and finally resolved things). It was more irritating because one of the females is the girl hes sexually attracted to.

This caused a series of arguments, a lot of unresolved issues brought up, etc. He went to work the next day and apparently told these female coworkers that I had a problem with him going out with them instead of coming home.

This made me livid and feels irreparable. His need to gain sympathy with these women by openly discussing our private matters is so damaging. Not only do I now feel like I cant trust him with my thoughts or feelings, but I dont feel comfortable attending work functions with him due to the fact that he has ruined my reputation by making me seem ridiculously jealous.

I cant seem to find a way to rectify what hes done. Either I, once again, have to live with people having negative feelings towards me because of his actions, or he can admit the reason that I am insecure with their relationship, which could certainly cause some uncomfortableness between them and possibly get him fired.

He also admitted to me that he discussed our previous open relationship with her as a means to give her ideas without being direct. This was long before he told me anything about his attraction to her. I take issue with this because it seems underhanded - he should have asked me before trying to get her on board.

At this point I am not speaking to him, other than to discuss matters with our children. This is the closest Ive ever been to divorce. He always seems sincere about regretting decisions but I feel like Im constantly bending to make allowances for his mistakes.

Advice?

phoenix88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Re: On the brink of divorce

You already know the answer to this heartbreaking problem. Listen to your gut. Listen to your heart.

There really is someone out there somewhere who will truly love and respect YOU and your feelings. Please believe this and please believe in yourself.

We do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
renasicard is online now  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:22 AM
Forum Supporter
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 11,706
Cool Re: On the brink of divorce

I'd say that your H is a prevaricator and a liar of the nth degree!

Having said that, I really feel that you need to be scheduling an immediate visit with a good "piranha" family law attorney to fully advise you of both your property and custodial rights!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbitrator is online now  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 31
Re: On the brink of divorce

Life's too short to live the way you are now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
dawnabon is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 20
Re: On the brink of divorce

I think renisacard has hit the nail on the head here. You both want different things from your relationship and that will never work out in the long run.

You've been brave and strong dealing with the past infidelity's and his behaviour now is just unacceptable. You can't stay with someone if they keep hurting you. It even if it's not a physical affair, his behaviour still amounts to mental abuse.

I think it's time that he sees what he's lost.

He basically wanting his cake and eating it. You deserve better love....much better.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Radch1988 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 AM
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 19,538
Re: On the brink of divorce

Well, he puts coworkers over his wife and children?

Then let him make the arrangement formal by giving him what he wants...



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 AM
Member
 
aine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Away and beyond in a hot place
Posts: 3,206
Re: On the brink of divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
My husband and I have been married over 12 years. Weve had infidelity issues (by him), but not for 9 years. It has been a long road to regain trust.

He started a new job 1 year ago and I found out he was hiding relationships with female coworkers. He assured me they were platonic, but later told me that he was sexually attracted to one of them, and hoped we could have a threesome someday. Obviously this was concerning to me. We agreed he would let me know if he was going to go out with them outside of work, and just be more transparent in general.

Several incidents have occurred where he has not kept up with our agreement. He feels that he should be able to do what he wants and tell me later (vs before), or I should just trust that hes making the right decisions. Recently he went out for a corporate event in which he stayed out until the next morning (very atypical). He did not tell me he was going somewhere after the event. We did not discuss it until the next day. He finally, after a lot of discussion, admitted this was wrong.

The following week he was at another corporate event. Before the event, he said he was going to hang out with the female coworkers. There was not enough time so he did not end up doing that. The event ended early and he then went out with them. I was irritated that he chose to go out with them, instead of coming home to see me (considering wed been arguing and finally resolved things). It was more irritating because one of the females is the girl hes sexually attracted to.

This caused a series of arguments, a lot of unresolved issues brought up, etc. He went to work the next day and apparently told these female coworkers that I had a problem with him going out with them instead of coming home.

This made me livid and feels irreparable. His need to gain sympathy with these women by openly discussing our private matters is so damaging. Not only do I now feel like I cant trust him with my thoughts or feelings, but I dont feel comfortable attending work functions with him due to the fact that he has ruined my reputation by making me seem ridiculously jealous.

I cant seem to find a way to rectify what hes done. Either I, once again, have to live with people having negative feelings towards me because of his actions, or he can admit the reason that I am insecure with their relationship, which could certainly cause some uncomfortableness between them and possibly get him fired.

He also admitted to me that he discussed our previous open relationship with her as a means to give her ideas without being direct. This was long before he told me anything about his attraction to her. I take issue with this because it seems underhanded - he should have asked me before trying to get her on board.

At this point I am not speaking to him, other than to discuss matters with our children. This is the closest Ive ever been to divorce. He always seems sincere about regretting decisions but I feel like Im constantly bending to make allowances for his mistakes.

Advice?
No married man has any busy coming home in the early hours of the morning or the next day. Where did he sleep. You need to set the boundaries now, in fact I guarantee he has already slept with her. I would do the 180 on him immediately, ask him to move out of the house or bedroom, say you will not be treated with s much disrespect (he is breaking every rule in the book and making it look like you are the one with the unreasonable behaviour !).

Tell him he has a choice to make, you or the female work colleagues. Go see a lawyer and know what your rights are , tell him if he pulls that **** again, it will be the papers the next time. Follow through.
aine is online now  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Satya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,774
Re: On the brink of divorce

He's a serial cheater (whether emotional and/or physical) and not likely to ever change.

So, what are you going to do about it? Play the pick me dance and settle for being second (third? fourth?) best?

I sure hope not. You deserve better.

His suggestion for a 3some alone would make me pack my bags personally. He's not monogamous marriage material.

"If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life."

~ Abraham Maslow
Satya is online now  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:34 AM
Forum Supporter
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 11,706
Cool Re: On the brink of divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post
No married man has any busy coming home in the early hours of the morning or the next day. Where did he sleep. You need to set the boundaries now, in fact I guarantee he has already slept with her. I would do the 180 on him immediately, ask him to move out of the house or bedroom, say you will not be treated with s much disrespect (he is breaking every rule in the book and making it look like you are the one with the unreasonable behaviour !).

Tell him he has a choice to make, you or the female work colleagues. Go see a lawyer and know what your rights are , tell him if he pulls that **** again, it will be the papers the next time. Follow through.
This is an acceptable arrangement, @phoenix88 ~ provided that you are greatly satisfied with catching and nurturing other people's cooties and STD's, that he's probably bringing home to you!

To hell with any more chances ~ you and your family deserve far, far better!

It's well beyond time to go see that family attorney to hit him squarely in the middle of his backside with divorce, alimony, and child support payments!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arbitrator; 06-13-2017 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Edification
arbitrator is online now  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,656
Re: On the brink of divorce

Ha ha you slipped in the "open relationship" at the end.

Sounds to me like we need to understand this better

Did you have clear boundaries and rules when you were open? Did you both agree to all 3rd party involvement ahead of time? Did each have the right to stop at any time and did you both agree to respect the rules?

This is very important because it set the base rules of your relationship


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTruthHurts is online now  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,349
Re: On the brink of divorce

He's not only a serial cheater, he wants an open marriage without you being ok with it. He decided to tell you if something happens with one of his female coworkers, isn't that nice of him? I'd say you're headed down the right path, you need to get rid of this guy. He doesn't care at all about your feelings only those of the multiple OW's.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"

Last edited by jb02157; 06-13-2017 at 10:54 AM.
jb02157 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,656
Re: On the brink of divorce

You could always consider a polygraph


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheTruthHurts is online now  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
Forum Supporter
 
TX-SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,661
Re: On the brink of divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts View Post
Ha ha you slipped in the "open relationship" at the end.

Sounds to me like we need to understand this better

Did you have clear boundaries and rules when you were open? Did you both agree to all 3rd party involvement ahead of time? Did each have the right to stop at any time and did you both agree to respect the rules?

This is very important because it set the base rules of your relationship


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thonk we need more information on this open relationship and who wanted it and who ended it.

Even so, being married to a cheater and a liar is difficult. I would see a lawyer and get a better idea of what divorce would look like for you.

"You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!" Victor Von Frankenstein
TX-SC is online now  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 09:42 AM
Member
 
Steve1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Big O / S-Hai
Posts: 1,112
Re: On the brink of divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post

Advice?
I never advise to listen to one's gut. Instead, you have ample evidence of who you married 12 years ago to make solid decisions. You know who he is and you cannot possibly change him. I guess that you somewhat rug swept his affairs nine years ago. He could not have been completely remorseful and then act like he is currently acting (out all night, proposing threesomes, ect). Life goes by faster than we realize. To me, what you should do is pretty clear.
Steve1000 is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 4
Thank you, everyone.

The further clarify, the open relationship was a mutually agreed upon decision that went into effect shortly after I recovered from the last affair 9 years ago. It lasted less than a year and we agreed to end it together. We have been monogamous since.

He brought up his fantasy of having a threesome with this woman as a result of me finding out about their friendship in the first place. It was his way of spilling the beans, basically, in an attempt to be completely honest. I'm not oblivious to the fact that he's still capable of an attraction or have fantasies about the opposite sex. I know that when he has said he's seen her outside of work it's always with a +1 or more. I think he has drawn his line at physical touch, however, when this initially came about I warned him about the effects of emotional affairs - how simply connecting with her on a personal level can lead to more intense feelings and increases the likelihood of having another affair. Now that he has divulged our personal disagreements, certainly painting me in a negative light, I feel like I just can't trust him with the things I have to say and he has opened the door for her to cause a greater disconnect if she's interested in him.

I did not speak to him yesterday until long after our kids were in bed. His statement to me was that he was sorry and while he's not cheating he was trying to find a loophole, which is wrong. He said he was willing to do anything - therapy, new job, etc. but I do not think his underlying behavior will change. He has an intense desire to have his ego stroked and mainly surrounds himself with female friends. As for changing jobs, we moved to our current location, giving up family and a very comfortable life, to chase his dream. Having him change now will directly impact our future, what we have sacrificed for this far.

It seems to me like I'm just shoving a monster into a closet. Some day it's going to get back out. The irritating thing is that I'm a very logical person (when I'm not angry and irrational ), I understand that biologically we are not meant to be with one person so I am capable of moving on, but when he lies/omits/hides it's like opening an old wound.
phoenix88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repeated divorce threats (and OCD?) Jasminka General Relationship Discussion 26 05-21-2017 02:25 AM
Contemplating Divorce - Any Advice? chris3320 Sex in Marriage 116 05-18-2017 01:36 PM
An Informational Letter to People Going Through Divorce nnardone20 Life After Divorce 2 04-27-2017 10:59 AM
An Informational Letter to People Going Through Divorce nnardone20 Going Through Divorce or Separation 0 04-27-2017 06:54 AM
He says he wants divorce, I don't think he does and I sure don't fallen22 Going Through Divorce or Separation 138 03-31-2017 02:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome