Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?) - Page 4
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Talk About Family, Marriage and Relationships »General Relationship Discussion » Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

General Relationship Discussion Although anyone can post anywhere on Talk About Marriage, this section is for people interested in general relationship and marriage advice.

Like Tree112Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
chillymorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemaker_Numero_Uno View Post
I vacuum.
It takes all day.
LOL.
Not really, but I have an official list that I give to people if they ask.
Otherwise, I don't feel the need to justify my existence.
At home or anywhere.
I would be leery of giving an answer...say it would feed into someone else's perception of what they should be doing or their stay-home spouse should be doing...and if I give an answer for one day, then that could become someone else's 'gold standard' and that would be wrong. I think people who are at home should be able to make their own decisions about the proper and right use of their time.
If people fill up their time with should-do's, none of the would-do's or could-do's or why-not-do's that are so valuable to our society, would happen.
I vacuum. Really!!!!
then the people at work should be able to quit and find a less stressfull job that might pay less.

I say bull the SAHM should be held somewhat accountable for what they do and don't get accomplished.
chillymorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,948
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillymorn View Post
then the people at work should be able to quit and find a less stressfull job that might pay less.

I say bull the SAHM should be held somewhat accountable for what they do and don't get accomplished.
I agree to that to a point. If the H is still meeting his SAHW/SAHM's needs for interaction and treating her well, yes she should absolutely be putting in the effort. If he on the other hand comes home, grabs a beer and disappears until dinner and then disappears until bedtime, then I could see why one wouldn't necessarily care. A LOT of people forget that SAHM's or SAHD's need interaction with people other than their children.
DawnD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Homemaker_Numero_Uno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillymorn View Post
then the people at work should be able to quit and find a less stressfull job that might pay less.

I say bull the SAHM should be held somewhat accountable for what they do and don't get accomplished.
OK, I confess.
I have a part-time job I do from home.
It's in a professional capacity.
Also, I do things that offset the lost income from the other 1/2 time I want to have free. I volunteer, and this comes with perks I'd have to earn money to pay for.
I also cook from scratch, and garden, and hang my laundry out.
I am also a full-time student and a writer.
LOL.
But I am a SINGLE SAHM so it's MY BUSINESS WHAT I DO.
If I guy marries me, then he has no right to tell me what to do.
I can pay my own bills and earn my own keep.
So nope, sorry, not accountable to nobody. Cept me and my kids.
And when I was MARRIED, even though I stayed home, I still paid my own way, in addition to scrubbing the potty my H cr*apped in, washing his clothes, managing his errands and paperwork when asked, etc.
We are not married any more because any time I wasn't working and did something for myself, like WENT TO THE GYM, I was accused of having a BOYFRIEND. Ick, I don't need that kind of assessment on how I would choose to spend my free time.
I hate people who try to control other people. If you choose to have a SAHM in your family, it's better to be cool with that idea, not to have some sort of idea that the person is a hired hand.
Homemaker_Numero_Uno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
chillymorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemaker_Numero_Uno View Post
OK, I confess.
I have a part-time job I do from home.
It's in a professional capacity.
Also, I do things that offset the lost income from the other 1/2 time I want to have free. I volunteer, and this comes with perks I'd have to earn money to pay for.
I also cook from scratch, and garden, and hang my laundry out.
I am also a full-time student and a writer.
LOL.
But I am a SINGLE SAHM so it's MY BUSINESS WHAT I DO.
If I guy marries me, then he has no right to tell me what to do.
I can pay my own bills and earn my own keep.
So nope, sorry, not accountable to nobody. Cept me and my kids.
And when I was MARRIED, even though I stayed home, I still paid my own way, in addition to scrubbing the potty my H cr*apped in, washing his clothes, managing his errands and paperwork when asked, etc.
your accountable to your self and are making a huge effort which I could not see any man worth his weight in salt complaining about because you have high standards for your self.

my comments were for someone who isn't motavated to pull their own weight.
chillymorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
CrazyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Camfrog user name 19CrazyGuy72
Posts: 300
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

It is funny how people can be on the same page but interpret things differently. I guess it is from the different experiences and angles we view things from.
CrazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
that_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wherever I lay my head.
Posts: 10,286
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

I'm only a SAHM in the summer time (I'm a teacher) and my days consist of laundry (daily), chores, grocery shopping, gardening, daily projects (cleaning out closet, scrubbing floors,etc), cooking dinner, and activities for the kids.

I like to take a break when the little one naps, because, well, I need a break too! But I try to work just as long as Hubs works...just how i do it.

During my work time, I come home, rest for an hour, then do chores, laundry and make dinner. It works well. I finish working when hubs gets home. We eat together and then hang out for a couple hours before bed
__________________

Real women don't want flowers and chocolate.
They want vodka and Taco Bell.
that_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
chillymorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
I'm only a SAHM in the summer time (I'm a teacher) and my days consist of laundry (daily), chores, grocery shopping, gardening, daily projects (cleaning out closet, scrubbing floors,etc), cooking dinner, and activities for the kids.

I like to take a break when the little one naps, because, well, I need a break too! But I try to work just as long as Hubs works...just how i do it.
Nice. but you left out the most important chore..........keeping the lust for your husband!

which from your posts I know you do very well.
chillymorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
that_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wherever I lay my head.
Posts: 10,286
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillymorn View Post
Nice. but you left out the most important chore..........keeping the lust for your husband!

which from your posts I know you do very well.
Well, I don't consider that work or a chore! He's just soooo damn sexy.
He's gained about 15 pounds since moving home (cause I cook awesome food) and his belly is SOOOO damn SEXY! OMG! He hates it, but dayum...I don't want him to lose it. LOL!

Aww...I've got the flu and he's at work. He wouldn't come near me last night as I coughed up my lungs. LOL so selfish of him! hahahaha....nah...i just hate being sick...means we can't have sexy time.
__________________

Real women don't want flowers and chocolate.
They want vodka and Taco Bell.
that_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
Member
 
that_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wherever I lay my head.
Posts: 10,286
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

One could think I'm on the internet doing nothing all day.

Truth is, sometimes y'all are in the kitchen with me as I clean and cook. Or you're on my washer as I fold clothes.

I'm a social person. I would die if I was stuck in this house all day with 2 kids and a dog.

omg.
__________________

Real women don't want flowers and chocolate.
They want vodka and Taco Bell.
that_girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
Gratitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 610
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
One could think I'm on the internet doing nothing all day.

Truth is, sometimes y'all are in the kitchen with me as I clean and cook. Or you're on my washer as I fold clothes.

I'm a social person. I would die if I was stuck in this house all day with 2 kids and a dog.

omg.
I'm on here alot now too. I don't know why! My husband just started awhile ago working away on site for 3 weeks at a time. I still go out and socialise and see friends or talk on the phone but I log on here everyday. It's kind of like a social network to offer advice and receive some from an impartial point of view. You get to recognise different user names even though you have no idea who anyone really is but you become fond of some people lol. I'm waiting for the "I'm addicted to TAM" threads!!
__________________
Bears play fighting at the Romanian bear sanctuary
WSPA
Gratitude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #56 (permalink)
Member
 
SimplyAmorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 10,349
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisters359 View Post
But I was more in need of intellectual stimulation
I never really felt this way in near 22 yrs of staying home , though I have had side jobs throughout all of these years.. also, I would talk to friends on the phone during the day, listen to talk radio, read books, loved to go outside lay in the hammock under a tree, peace & quiet -while the kids played nearby , or on a blanket , a # of books by my side to explore. I belonged to a local "Mops group" that I went to twice a month for 13 yrs , would do lunch with a friend every so often.......& when I got the net, I discovered forums !! Tons of stimulation there..... started out on Parenting forums, then c-section , Christian, health boards, etc etc



Quote:
Originally Posted by chillymorn View Post
just like moms liking when the husband helps with chores the husband likes when the wife starts helping with earning money.
Me & my husband feel differently- I know this is very odd, but he could care less about any extra $$ -he worries about me driving on the country wintery roads -plus I am very very frugal....we are not hurting..... and I don't want him helping me with any of my stuff -unless I am sick -because frankly, I have WAY more energy than him & the last thing I want is for him to get tired & not have enough Testosterone for sex that night! That would tick me off.

About a month ago, we had a little scuffle over him thinking I never sleep. He jokes I need a job to wear me out... but he loves me being home.
SimplyAmorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
chillymorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,964
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAmorous View Post
I never really felt this way in near 22 yrs of staying home , though I have had side jobs throughout all of these years.. also, I would talk to friends on the phone during the day, listen to talk radio, read books, loved to go outside lay in the hammock under a tree, peace & quiet -while the kids played nearby , or on a blanket , a # of books by my side to explore. I belonged to a local "Mops group" that I went to twice a month for 13 yrs , would do lunch with a friend every so often.......& when I got the net, I discovered forums !! Tons of stimulation there..... started out on Parenting forums, then c-section , Christian, health boards, etc etc





Me & my husband feel differently- I know this is very odd, but he could care less about any extra $$ -he worries about me driving on the country wintery roads -plus I am very very frugal....we are not hurting..... and I don't want him helping me with any of my stuff -unless I am sick -because frankly, I have WAY more energy than him & the last thing I want is for him to get tired & not have enough Testosterone for sex that night! That would tick me off.

About a month ago, we had a little scuffle over him thinking I never sleep. He jokes I need a job to wear me out... but he loves me being home.
maybe there alittle truth to his joke?

but if I made piles of money i wouldn't care if she worked or not. but I just an average joe with an above average ..........
chillymorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #58 (permalink)
Member
 
SimplyAmorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 10,349
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
I'm on here alot now too. I don't know why! My husband just started awhile ago working away on site for 3 weeks at a time. I still go out and socialise and see friends or talk on the phone but I log on here everyday. It's kind of like a social network to offer advice and receive some from an impartial point of view. You get to recognise different user names even though you have no idea who anyone really is but you become fond of some people lol. I'm waiting for the "I'm addicted to TAM" threads!!
I have been addicted for over 2 yrs now -it really is quite rediculous, even if I go on a vacation, I feel like I am having TAM withdrawl.... late at night, I have to go check & see what new questions are on here... .. I always did have a thing for the question/ answer type atmosphere-loved that in books also....

Getting feedback is exciting, I always loved it when I had a question on other forums and I so very much enjoy answering others. It doesn't interfere with my life, my husband is not complaining , so I keep on.
SimplyAmorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #59 (permalink)
Member
 
SimplyAmorous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 10,349
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillymorn View Post
maybe there alittle truth to his joke?

but if I made piles of money i wouldn't care if she worked or not. but I just an average joe with an above average ..........
No, I think he worries I am not getting enough sleep but... the truth is , if I am not tired, I toss and turn & keep him up (and he does NEED his sleep as he is a lower Test guy!) .... so I do my thing until I am tired, even at age 45, I can stay up all night and be ok the next day. 6 hrs is enough for me easily. After he goes to bed, sometimes I will get up & make pies or something, do laundry. I have always been like the "Energizer Bunny".... I once had my thyroid checked thinking it might be overactive, but I am totally fine.... I believe I have HIGH Test.. ha ha - a symptom of alot of energy-- that is me !

If I had a steady job where I had to "punch in", we'd need another 4x4 , and if you seen our driveway from Hell, you'd see why he would be worried about me -even getting out of it . He wrecked the plow in it last year, the farmer next door had to pull him out. IT would be different if we lived in the city -but we are country boonie people.

He worries about me very much, it is sweet though. The only thing about all of this is .... sometimes I feel like "less of a woman" or something -like I am just a boring old stay at home mom, like I have no skills , but in reality, I love my life -just as it is, I shouldn't worry about the "norms" of other women in society.
SimplyAmorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In an igloo.
Posts: 2,004
Default Re: Stay-at-Home Wives: What do you do all day? (What should they do?)

Not all stay at home wives have it easy.

I am very industrious at home since my main focus is school and I am not working. I clean, cook and study most of the day. I also go to doctor's appointments and run errands. I never watch daytime TV because it is pure nonsense and I could be using that time to review my schoolwork.

I will chat online for about an hour, but I still get everything done.

90% of the time, my husband comes home to dinner, smiles and kisses. He does not ask me to do these things. It is simply understood that since I do not work I need to pull my weight somehow. We are not having kids, so there is no excuse for a dirty place with no dinner at night.

I have a high sex drive and I understand that men need to eat well to be good lovers. Have to have energy! I have been groomed to look after a man since I was nine years old and I admit that it has certainly influenced me a great deal. I feel like such a bad wife if I don't have dinner on the table. I know it sounds sexist but I am just being honest about how I feel.
FirstYearDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
would you stay home and have a maid? dave2625 Financial Problems in Marriage 66 12-13-2012 06:32 PM
How can a stay at home dad man up? lostdad The Men's Clubhouse 20 05-16-2011 11:16 AM
Stay at home dad getting left need help lostdad Going Through Divorce or Separation 11 04-03-2011 07:41 PM
You would think a stay at home mom? gregj123 The Men's Clubhouse 58 01-17-2011 02:42 PM
stay at home mum humpty dumpty The Family & Parenting Forums 12 02-14-2009 05:02 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.