Feminism: Has it gone too far? - Page 10
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - Online Counseling - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Relationship Discussion Although anyone can post anywhere on Talk About Marriage, this section is for people interested in general relationship and marriage advice.

Like Tree165Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #136 (permalink)
Member
 
warlock07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,383
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Some Feminists seem to think misogyny means disagreeing with or criticizing a woman....I disagree with these kind. They only want equal rights when it is advantageous to women.
warlock07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #137 (permalink)
Member
 
keko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,575
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

I don't think it has gone enough. Just to be equal Im looking for a women to pump my cesspool but I can't seem to find one.



















JK
keko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #138 (permalink)
Member
 
kittykat09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 228
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keko View Post
Im looking for a women to pump my cesspool
Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
kittykat09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #139 (permalink)
Member
 
Runs like Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Redneckistan
Posts: 6,988
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

No, they still live among us.
__________________
It’s the least I can do, and that’s why I’m doing it
Runs like Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #140 (permalink)
Member
 
moxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

I don't think this has anything to do with feminism. The tone and attitude of the "reporter" (read: snarky gossip-monger) is tacky, unprofessional, inconsiderate, and immature. It's more fit for tabloid reporting or locker room discussion than any respectable publication.

At the end of the day, the woman was charged with TWO felonies and the guy must be in some amount of pain. It's a shame that this article couldn't have been a little more grown up. The jokes should come after the article, not take the place of it.
__________________
"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"“We first crush people to the earth, & then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate." -Lydia Maria Child.
moxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #141 (permalink)
Member
 
moxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,656
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock07 View Post
Some Feminists seem to think misogyny means disagreeing with or criticizing a woman....I disagree with these kind. They only want equal rights when it is advantageous to women.
Ignorance is annoying and such facile folks are not deserving of real credibility. Criticism is not the same as subjugation.

Feminism should not be about replacing the patriarchy with a matriarchy while switching out who has the privilege, but about removing the biases in the system that privileges men at the expense of women.
__________________
"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"“We first crush people to the earth, & then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate." -Lydia Maria Child.
moxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #142 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,749
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

In response to the OP, it really depends on how you define feminism. If you define it by the search of equal rights for women in all sorts of situations in society, then i'm all for it.

But if you are talking about that version of feminism usually propagated by butch lesbians that are angry at men because they ended up in the wrong gender somehow and think that just because you have a vagina you're entitled to all sorts of "special" rights and treatments because God help women if they have to compete fairly with men...

Then it isn't a matter of going to far. It's a mater of sexism of the worse kind. One that is shining poorly on all women.
costa200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #143 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 576
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

I remember a female coworker complained this week about how she and I have the same job, same position, mostly similar education, but she says I make more than her. And then she went on about how I had missed a bunch of work (my situation wasn't known to her, so can't knock her for that)
Well, I wanted to drop the issue, but she continued it, and we did find out I make more. And yes, it was extremely awkward discussing this at lunch.
And I felt bad, because she is supporting a family, so I asked some questions, and got some interesting answers.
She leaves before I do, to pick up her kids at school. So just by doing that, I pick up around 5 hours a week on her. Then she won't do client dinners, so I pick up that.
Then we got to travel and sick days. I asked how many sick days she has accumulated. Less than 15. I think I have used maybe 3.
When I brought this up, she said that shouldn't matter. She and I should make the same money for the same work, and because I make more it is a clear example of sexism.
And while I could've pressed the issue and say "Well I put in 5+ more work hours than you do, then picking up after work stuff is another 10+ hours a week..." but my lunch was 'conviently' over, so I just left it at that.

Also, for the women in the US:
1 in every 3 of you will get cancer. You got government health agencies for you. And you got a longer life expectancy than males do.
1 in every 2 men get cancer, and they have no government agency setup to look after men's health.
(Guy power?)

And paternity fraud. The (legal) act of tricking a man, unknowingly or knowingly, into raising the child that is from another man.
100% legal in most states. Women do not face jail time, fines, are not expected to pay back child support, can not pay fines for it, or anything.
The only type of fraud that is legal. And sometimes, encouraged!

Then I remember another little story that came up.
A high school teacher near where I lived, had sex with not 1, but 3 students. Now it is not statutory rape because my stupid state changed the laws around. But that doesn't change the fact she still had sex with 3 different students.
Now, I am curious. It is an attractive, female teacher, that had sex with 3 male students, all 16+ years.
Now, she is facing 30 years. I wonder what she will actually get.
Because whenever men do something like sleep with a student, they are hung out to dry.
Whenever a female teacher does this, they get counseling, and maybe 5 years, and people say that they were in love...

And women get less jail time than men do for the same crimes!
Don't believe me? Tell Casey Anthony.
Or the wife that cut off her husband's manhood, then threw it down a garbage disposal and turned it on. (he had cheated on her, and asked for divorce, but...ouch!)
Wonder what would happen if a male did that...

Oh, and that was talked about on that show The Talk. Well, more like laughed about, and poked fun at. When one of the host talked about "Well, if it was a male that did this to a female, we wouldn't be laughing."
And they just shrug off the comment, saying it is different...

Doubt if the opposite ever happened, it would even be legal! Imagine a bunch of guys sitting around joking about the mutiliation of a female's body. Would that show air? More likely it would be sued.
Juicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #144 (permalink)
Member
 
RandomDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,468
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

I believe in equality, unfortunately there are a lot of women out there who give feminism a horrid name. Selfish, self-centered, "entitled" women, and those who enjoy the power but reject the responsibility. So yes it has gone too far in many cases.

Guess there are the feminists and then there are the "feminists". All groups have the same good/bad within them.
RandomDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #145 (permalink)
Member
 
credamdóchasgra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,917
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolt View Post
The fact is that men and are women are different creatures but should yet have equal access to the best opportunities this world has to offer in fulfilling their dreams and ambitions.
Posted via Mobile Device


And a man and woman who have married each other should treat each other with respect.

I like knowing that my husband is different from me, and that we can expect different things from each other. I like the idea that we each have different "domains," each of which is OURS and if we each stay in our own lane, things are smooth.
__________________
Life is 10 percent what you make it, and 90 percent how you take it.

Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change.
credamdóchasgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #146 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 161
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

mr.rightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #147 (permalink)
Member
 
Viseral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 428
Default

Men and women are not "equal". They are "equal but different". A good analogy would be like a crankshaft and camshaft inside an engine. They do completely different things but are both needed to make the engine run. They perform "equal but different" functions.
Viseral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #148 (permalink)
Member
 
Stonewall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,642
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

yes! all ism's go to far. thats why they are ism's!
__________________
The more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #149 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,526
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
Have women lost respect for men in the last 50 years?
In the United States, overall? Yes.

When there is a movement for equality it's not uncommon for the oppressed party to lose respect, or the appearance of respect, for the oppressor during the fight for better treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
Have women gone overboard in the notion of feminism?
I think women, and men actually, have gone overboard in some aspects of feminism, but not far enough in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
Men, do you feel your wife respects you as the man of the house?
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
Do you believe you are the man of the house?
Yes, though I could stand to do a better job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratitude View Post
Or do you feel she is overbearing and talks down to you?
Never. I wouldn't have married an overbearing person who enjoys talking down to me. I am often baffled by my time here at TAM because it's very hard for me to process that there are men who actually allow their wives to treat them like this.

Last edited by jaquen; 09-02-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Edited out the "controversial" content.
jaquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #150 (permalink)
Member
 
Caribbean Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Caribbean Region
Posts: 9,828
Default Re: Feminism: Has it gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
yes! all ism's go to far. thats why they are ism's!
"....Always go too far, because that's where you'll find the truth..."
Albert Camus.

"....All movements go too far....."
Bertrand Russell
__________________
FITNESS ~ Our Lifestyle.
Something For The Ladies.
“....And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music....”
Friedrich Nietzsche
Caribbean Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Feminism Thread! FirstYearDown General Relationship Discussion 34 01-22-2012 11:42 AM
Feminism.... Therealbrighteyes Politics and Religion 743 12-04-2011 08:59 PM
Awesome podcast on feminism Scannerguard The Ladies' Lounge 114 04-08-2011 02:56 PM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads





Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage