Boyfriend going to bachelor party
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Relationship Discussion Although anyone can post anywhere on Talk About Marriage, this section is for people interested in general relationship and marriage advice.

Like Tree39Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Red face Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Let me start by saying something so generic and make you wonder why I'm posting in the first place after I make the next statement.

My boyfriend and I have one of the BEST relationships out of people that I know. He has been married before. I moved 8 hours away from where we met, and he moved 6 months after me and now lives with me. He is ultimately the best friend I have ever had. We are a team by all means. I was working full time before he moved here. Since then, he now works full time and I only babysit on occasion. I do the housework and work on attending school full time while he supports us financially. We don't have plans to get married yet, though we do talk about it and children frequently. We're basically waiting until we are more financially stable. We have goals individually (school etc) but we ultimately have our goals that come together and form our goal, having the same outcome in life, etc. This is basically the gist of things.

Now for my question, in a few months we are going to be traveling about 15 hours to one of his best friend's weddings. The plans are not set in stone. I do not know these people yet, all I know is things that he has told me, and he truly does think these are some of the most important people so needless to say I am excited to meet them because "they are going to be in my life for a very long time" (according to the boyfriend).

So when my boyfriend had his bachelor party when he was married before, he was quite a bit younger than he is now. His friends opted for strippers, I'm not sure how it all broke down, but they stayed in a hotel and ended up paying the strippers for activities. (My boyfriend openly told me about all of this, I didn't even have any idea he had a bachelor party at the time). He told me that he got a hand job and he isn't sure what the other people did. Well one of the other people who participated in whatever activity that he participated in, this is his wedding that we are going to.

We are staying at his friend's house for the few days that we will be in town. During the bachelor party I'm going to be hanging out with the bride-to-be that I don't know as of now. The bachelor party is going to be about 45 minutes from where everyone is from, and apparently the groom and best man informed my boyfriend that they are going to be staying overnight at a hotel and coming back the next afternoon. So it comes to this: I trust my boyfriend because we have obviously built our relationship on trust and communication because we were apart for 6 months at the beginning of our relationship, neither him nor I have given the other person a reason to not trust the other. However, my boyfriend's hand job at his bachelor party makes me very uncomfortable.

We talked before and he said if there was going to be a possibility of a hotel, he would want me to show up at the end of the night and stay with him OR he would want me to come get him. I think this was incase someone decides to do the stripper thing or more realistically because he has voiced he doesn't want to be away from me too long. I want him to go and have a good time, which I voiced. Though I am VERY uncomfortable about him staying in the hotel. Should I maybe talk to him and say alright this is what I'm comfortable with, how do you feel and then we can both say what we are and aren't comfortable with, if someone or something steps out of line, he calls me at the end of the night no matter what and we can make the decision if i'm going to go pick him up?

Any advice would be great. Thank you.
allsmiless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,633
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsmiless View Post
I trust my boyfriend...

There is your answer right there. If you say you trust him, then that's the end of the story. No dilemma. What he did at another bachelor party before you met is irrelevant if you're saying flat out that you trust your boyfriend.

He's a human being, nothing you can do will "save" him from getting a handjob, even if you pick him up and and he avoids this specific set of circumstances. He's a big boy, and if he loves you, and is worthy of that trust, he won't need you, or anyone, to swoop in and come save him from cheating on you.

So that's my advice. If he's the man you trust, then it doesn't matter.
jaquen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
lovelygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,666
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

What a turn off!!!
@Jaquen - it's not all irrelevant. If he had a hand-job at his first bachelor party then he can have it again at his second one.
I'd feel uncomfortable if I were in the OP's shoes.
lovelygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,500
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

I say talk to him about it. Let him know how you're feeling inside, and be open to what he has to say. If he's open with you and not defensive then my guess is that you don't have anything to worry about.

I think the fact that he was honest about what happened at the first bachelor party speaks volumes... A lot of guys wouldn't mention that to a girlfriend, knowing it *could* color her opinion of him. Obviously he trusted you with that information, which is a very positive thing.

I completely understand your position, though. I'd feel really awkward about it, trust or no trust - that feeling you feel - of wanting to protect and preserve your relationship - is a normal and natural one. He will understand this better if you are able to make statements about how YOU feel and less about what HE will or will not be doing...

I hope I've helped, and best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
YinPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Talking Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinPrincess View Post
I say talk to him about it. Let him know how you're feeling inside, and be open to what he has to say. If he's open with you and not defensive then my guess is that you don't have anything to worry about.

I think the fact that he was honest about what happened at the first bachelor party speaks volumes... A lot of guys wouldn't mention that to a girlfriend, knowing it *could* color her opinion of him. Obviously he trusted you with that information, which is a very positive thing.

I completely understand your position, though. I'd feel really awkward about it, trust or no trust - that feeling you feel - of wanting to protect and preserve your relationship - is a normal and natural one. He will understand this better if you are able to make statements about how YOU feel and less about what HE will or will not be doing...

I hope I've helped, and best of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you've said it best!! We have a very open line of communication. It puts my mind to ease a lot when I sit and think that at least he told me. This is insecurity is something of mine, which I need to figure out how to get away from. I know he loves me and wouldn't do anything to mess it up. I'm not one of those naive girls who say this regardless lol. I've been in a serious relationship before and it was hell. This relationship is completely opposite with so much love and companionship. When I sit here and think about it, he knows how I feel about it. He knows that if he were to do something I wouldn't approve of that he wouldn't have me anymore. Why would someone move 8 hours away from their family to be with someone and mess it up all in one night? That really makes no sense. He's given up a lot to be with me. I need to really give him more credit than I am. It's really helped to vent on here, thank you.
allsmiless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
endlessgrief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,256
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

When I was 24 and planning my wedding, my biggest fear was my future hubby's bachelor party. I had nightmares, I started fights, I got mad at him. He never gave me a reason to think he would cheat with a stripper. We, like you and your man, were a team, best friends, and I did trust him.

But then my friends start telling stories about what they saw at other bachelor parties (at the time, ALL of my friends were men, I worked in a male dominated workplace), some men view it as one last night to screw another woman before committing to just one woman for the rest of their lives.

Truth be told, if he is going to cheat or get a hand job, he is going to do it and there isn't a damned thing you can do about it. Secondly, I have heard that the strippers are just part of the party. Most of it is gambling and drinking.

What I wasn't expecting is how my bachelorette party went. THAT almost stopped the wedding. Male strippers are very bold and I was molested all night by them (I had two). They would sit naked on my lap, kiss my neck, touch my legs and whisper in my ear that they wanted me. At the end of the night, I was covered in glitter and totally grossed out. One stripper actually pulled out his d!ck so only I could see it, and asked me to play with it! I told him to get bent! Then the other stripper pounced on me and tried to get me to grab his naked butt! Needless to say, I was turned off because this party was to celebrate my upcoming wedding, not to play with hairy ballz of some dude!

If you really trust him, things will be okay. But since he admitted he got a hand job at his last party, and told you about it, that it is bad form for him to have another bachelor party with strippers . His telling you about the hand job was not a smart thing to do because it put you on high alert. Of course you are going to react and be jealous! Some information should be kept secret just for your peace of mind. Now you are going to be worried the whole night of his party and that is not fair to you at all.

You need to talk to him some more. He may ignore your feelings or tell you not to worry, but he is the one who planted the seed!!!! Why would he tell you such a thing?

What is usually the young groom's downfall is peer pressure from their drunk friends. Chanting for the bachelor to do stuff to the stripper and if he doesn't, he will look like a p*ssy. No man wants to look like a p*ssy in front of his friends.

The only thing that will make both of you feel better is if he MUST have naked women for his party, GO TO A STRIP CLUB. The women cannot be touched there. It is NOT intimate so private BJ's in the bathroom do not happen. Do you think you could talk him into that? And if he gives you that crap "I am not planning the party, my best man is." SCREW THAT. YOUR feelings are more important than some horny dude who wants to oggle chicks.
__________________
The snake is notoriously tempting
But the snake is fair.
What is worse than not knowing?
To live or disappear?
endlessgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessgrief View Post
When I was 24 and planning my wedding, my biggest fear was my future hubby's bachelor party. I had nightmares, I started fights, I got mad at him. He never gave me a reason to think he would cheat with a stripper. We, like you and your man, were a team, best friends, and I did trust him.

But then my friends start telling stories about what they saw at other bachelor parties (at the time, ALL of my friends were men, I worked in a male dominated workplace), some men view it as one last night to screw another woman before committing to just one woman for the rest of their lives.

Truth be told, if he is going to cheat or get a hand job, he is going to do it and there isn't a damned thing you can do about it. Secondly, I have heard that the strippers are just part of the party. Most of it is gambling and drinking.

What I wasn't expecting is how my bachelorette party went. THAT almost stopped the wedding. Male strippers are very bold and I was molested all night by them (I had two). They would sit naked on my lap, kiss my neck, touch my legs and whisper in my ear that they wanted me. At the end of the night, I was covered in glitter and totally grossed out. One stripper actually pulled out his d!ck so only I could see it, and asked me to play with it! I told him to get bent! Then the other stripper pounced on me and tried to get me to grab his naked butt! Needless to say, I was turned off because this party was to celebrate my upcoming wedding, not to play with hairy ballz of some dude!

If you really trust him, things will be okay. But since he admitted he got a hand job at his last party, and told you about it, that it is bad form for him to have another bachelor party with strippers . His telling you about the hand job was not a smart thing to do because it put you on high alert. Of course you are going to react and be jealous! Some information should be kept secret just for your peace of mind. Now you are going to be worried the whole night of his party and that is not fair to you at all.

You need to talk to him some more. He may ignore your feelings or tell you not to worry, but he is the one who planted the seed!!!! Why would he tell you such a thing?

What is usually the young groom's downfall is peer pressure from their drunk friends. Chanting for the bachelor to do stuff to the stripper and if he doesn't, he will look like a p*ssy. No man wants to look like a p*ssy in front of his friends.

The only thing that will make both of you feel better is if he MUST have naked women for his party, GO TO A STRIP CLUB. The women cannot be touched there. It is NOT intimate so private BJ's in the bathroom do not happen. Do you think you could talk him into that? And if he gives you that crap "I am not planning the party, my best man is." SCREW THAT. YOUR feelings are more important than some horny dude who wants to oggle chicks.

It's not his bachelor party, but his best friend's. The best friend was at my boyfriend's bachelor party, where the hand job occurred. That's what is making me skeptical about it. But truth be told, if he's going to do it, he's going to do it. Would he be able to look me in the eyes the day after? I absolutely do not think so. Bottom line is, I have to trust him. I have to trust that he believes in this relationship enough not to do something stupid and naive to jeopardize that in the first place, which I believe.
allsmiless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
endlessgrief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,256
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsmiless View Post
It's not his bachelor party, but his best friend's. The best friend was at my boyfriend's bachelor party, where the hand job occurred. That's what is making me skeptical about it. But truth be told, if he's going to do it, he's going to do it. Would he be able to look me in the eyes the day after? I absolutely do not think so. Bottom line is, I have to trust him. I have to trust that he believes in this relationship enough not to do something stupid and naive to jeopardize that in the first place, which I believe.
Trusting someone with your heart is a wonderful thing. He needs to know that if he breaks that trust, all you two have built together will be burnt to the ground.
__________________
The snake is notoriously tempting
But the snake is fair.
What is worse than not knowing?
To live or disappear?
endlessgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessgrief View Post
Trusting someone with your heart is a wonderful thing. He needs to know that if he breaks that trust, all you two have built together will be burnt to the ground.

Yes, and he flat out said to me that he wouldn't do anything to lose me. I think I really needed this post to just write it out and really lay out my feelings lol.
allsmiless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
endlessgrief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,256
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsmiless View Post
Yes, and he flat out said to me that he wouldn't do anything to lose me. I think I really needed this post to just write it out and really lay out my feelings lol.
That is what this site is for. I am kinda a newby to this site myself, but I find getting to rant and get my feelings out there, it helps me put things in perspective and by reading other's comments, I know that I am not alone. People on TAM really do care and I am forever grateful I found TAM.

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and have a good and honest relationship. I personally think everything will be just fine. If he knows what he would be losing, and he does, this will just be a memory you two will look upon years from now and laugh.
__________________
The snake is notoriously tempting
But the snake is fair.
What is worse than not knowing?
To live or disappear?
endlessgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,633
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelygirl View Post
What a turn off!!!
@Jaquen - it's not all irrelevant. If he had a hand-job at his first bachelor party then he can have it again at his second one.
I'd feel uncomfortable if I were in the OP's shoes.
You missed my point.

It is irrelevant if the OP's claim that she trusts her boyfriend is true.

What he did at the former bachelor party when he was not in a relationship with her is relevant IF, in fact, she does NOT trust her boyfriend.

Can't have it both ways. She either trusts him, or she doesn't. If she does, this conversation shouldn't even be happening.

Last edited by jaquen; 05-09-2012 at 11:53 AM.
jaquen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Hope1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 6,692
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Trust is one thing, but why allow yourself to be in a situation where the temptation is there? That goes for both partners. Your boyfriend has already told you he would rather not be in a hotel room with his buddies and not you. He's telling you he doesn't want to be put in a situation where he could get tempted. He's trying to make the best of a bad situation here and needs your help.

Was he dating anyone when this previous bachelor party happened?

If it were me, I'd be picking my hubby up before he went anywhere near that hotel room. ESPECIALLY given the history here. Strippers in hotel rooms giving hand jobs and who knows what else?? I'm sorry, he's not going near that. I would also make sure that somehow this future bride was made aware of this possibility.
__________________
Our R

People who throw kisses are hopelessly lazy ~ Bob Hope
You only lose what you cling to.
Hope1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 653
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

Yikes. What was his opinion about the HJ he received during his bachelor party? He effectively cheated on his soon-to-be wife days before the wedding? Ouch.

I completely understand your concern. At the root of it, everyone else is right - there ain't a darn thing you cab do about it and you have to trust him.

However, its smart of you to be leery. I don't know why in this situation the consensus is that your BFs past is irrelevant, when in other threads I have seen people say "once a cheater, always a cheater."

I had a similar situation with my husband. Some of his friends are pretty wild and definitely wanted to push limits at their bachelor parties (idolizing movies like the hangover)
I heard stories about strippers, and one time the bachelor got arrested.

It wasn't even that I didn't trust my husband it was just that I often feel like the company you keep says a lot about who you are as a person. Why would he even want to be involved in strippers when he's committed to me and wouldn't be touching them? Why would you want to watch your friends getting HJ?? The whole thing sleeved me out and made me look at him like ew, you are not the type of person I thought you were.

I got over it. You will have to find a way to get over it too. Try to be happy for him and supportive that he has a good time. Those were the few situations where I absolutely didn't let my husband know how I really felt ans just sucked it up and a few days/weeks later I let it go.
Posted via Mobile Device
kag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
gav
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 30
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

It's all well and good to say that you trust him.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't trust myself either.

So I choose not to put myself in those situations.

Even if I DID trust myself, I know my wife would have a problem with it, so I choose to respect her in that way.

I don't recall offhand where I heard it first, but paraphrased, "you get into trouble when you go to stupid places and do stupid things"

This is playing with fire.
gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 3,681
Default Re: Boyfriend going to bachelor party

The husband of a good friend of mine admitted to sleeping with a stripper at his bachelor party.

So it shouldn't surprise her now he's a cheating you know what and treats her like she's a skanky who-er. She's called me to tell me of his latest shennanigans and strange sexual requests. I just smh.
A Bit Much is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
bachelor party, boyfriend

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bachelor party/husband dilema married with children The Ladies' Lounge 34 09-17-2012 05:33 PM
Bachelor Party leslie0715 General Relationship Discussion 32 10-28-2010 10:51 AM
Pregnant Fiance= No Bachelor Party? Engaged The Ladies' Lounge 37 02-19-2010 08:55 PM
bachelor party gettingmarried General Relationship Discussion 49 02-17-2010 11:36 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage