Question about alimony - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
Going Through Divorce or Separation A new addition to our forums, a place to go for sharing and support for those going through divorce and separation.

User Tag List

 43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
That's seems like a huge amount of alimony
He makes good money.

prunus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 75
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post
In this case you allowed your wife to earn relatively little income for all of the marriage.
It doesn't matter but you are incorrect here. I was up her ass like a drill sergeant from hell about sending resumes and finding a job. She's just a worthless piece of ****. It's cool though, I'll be chipper and cordial and simply destroy all of her possessions this weekend while shes at Myrtle beach.
53791263 is offline  
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,341
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53791263 View Post
We can just do our best to destroy the woman emotionally, spiritually, morally, financially, and on social media. It's giving me solace at least. She can have some money for a little bit, I'll strip away her soul in return.
Wow, that's a little extreme, even for me. Some women deliberately go after their ex in court just to show that he was this bad guy and he needs to be punished never mind all that she did in the marriage that was equally if not more wrong than their ex. If I ever do get my chance at divorce, I do plan to take my shots at her.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"
jb02157 is offline  
 
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
I just did some searching on Google on the topic. That might be accurate.

You might want to see another lawyer to get a second opinion. It would seem to me that you should be able to impute a certain amount of income to your wife since she really has no excuse to not be working right now.

I get what you are saying about the attorneys. They seem to work to increase their own income and not help their clients all that much.
I agree with this. I didn't work our entire marriage (mind games, mental abuse, control) and I do not have a degree. However, they still calculated the alimony using what I could make working full time at minimum wage (since that's likely all I'd make starting out). So, even when I get a full time job, the alimony can't be modified until I'm able to make more than that.
prunus is offline  
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,695
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53791263 View Post
It doesn't matter but you are incorrect here. I was up her ass like a drill sergeant from hell about sending resumes and finding a job. She's just a worthless piece of ****. It's cool though, I'll be chipper and cordial and simply destroy all of her possessions this weekend while shes at Myrtle beach.
You knew, or should have known, the marriage laws when you married her.

You chose to marry a woman who could not earn what you earn. You apparently agreed that she did not have to bring in an income and that she went to school to get a degree.

So now she gets what is basically rehabilitative alimony to give her a chance to get a job and move on. The court decision would have been the same if the genders were reversed.

I thought that she was not living in the same place you live. Are these things that are still in the home where live?

If you are living in the same home with her still, she can get you removed from the home if you destroy all of her things. At the very least she can ask the court for the replacement cost of her possessions that you destroy. And on top of that, she can get a restraining order against you. That will hurt your realestate license and work as a realtor.

If she is not living in the same home you are living in, your best bet is to rent storage, move her junk there and do not destroy or break any of it. Then give her the key. Let her get it.

Or if she is living in a place with yard, just take it all and leave it on on her porch/yard.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53791263 View Post
It doesn't matter but you are incorrect here. I was up her ass like a drill sergeant from hell about sending resumes and finding a job. She's just a worthless piece of ****. It's cool though, I'll be chipper and cordial and simply destroy all of her possessions this weekend while shes at Myrtle beach.
She didn't work much during the marriage and earned a fraction of what you did. Whether it's because you "allowed it" or she somehow "got away with it" even though you were "up her ass like a drill sergeant" makes no difference to the court.

Yes I read about how you're going to destroy all her possessions and throw away the rest of her clothes, and I won't be the least bit surprised when she presents a bill to the court for many times more than what those clothes were worth and the judge orders you to pay for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
If I ever do get my chance at divorce, I do plan to take my shots at her.
We all know that is never going to happen. You'll have to settle for daydreaming about it every single day for the rest of your natural life.
browser is offline  
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53791263 View Post
We can just do our best to destroy the woman emotionally, spiritually, morally, financially, and on social media. It's giving me solace at least. She can have some money for a little bit, I'll strip away her soul in return.
Wow! Maybe this is why she drinks.
prunus is offline  
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,695
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
Wow, that's a little extreme, even for me. Some women deliberately go after their ex in court just to show that he was this bad guy and he needs to be punished never mind all that she did in the marriage that was equally if not more wrong than their ex. If I ever do get my chance at divorce, I do plan to take my shots at her.
And some men play these same games in divorce.

When you play nasty games in divorce, it makes the attorneys richer.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,341
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post

Sure there are some very unfair rulings that defy logic and common sense and fly in the face of established case law, but so far, in this case, it appears that 2 years worth of alimony at $1500 per month is not unreasonable.

Just because it's the law doesn't make it fair or correct. We make laws to be beneficial to all and when a law stops beneficial and offers one gender or group of people more than they should be offered in some situations, it ought to be changed. I honestly think this is way more then she should get or is entitled to. If you make close to nothing during the time of the marriage then that's all you should get. Whether or not she's ready to rejoin the work force after said divorce is really not the obligation of the husband. That might be the law, but it's WRONG. You should be responsible for yourself and have to be provided for by someone who's no longer in your life. If you put yourself in a situation where you end up divorced with no money to call your own, that's should be your damned fault.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"
jb02157 is offline  
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 257
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53791263 View Post
It doesn't matter but you are incorrect here. I was up her ass like a drill sergeant from hell about sending resumes and finding a job. She's just a worthless piece of ****. It's cool though, I'll be chipper and cordial and simply destroy all of her possessions this weekend while shes at Myrtle beach.
Angry much?

prunus is offline  
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
Just because it's the law doesn't make it fair or correct. Whether or not she's ready to rejoin the work force after said divorce is really not the obligation of the husband. That might be the law, but it's WRONG.
Some laws aren't fair, but in this case, we're talking about a 6+ year marriage where he earned a lot more than she did, for whatever their own personal reasons might have been for that The court doesn't look at those reasons, they don't, they can't say "well he tried to make you work but you just didnt so we will rule accordingly". It would be too time intensive to dissect a case to that extent, it just wouldn't be practical and it would be completely up to the testimony and credibility of the two partners, one or both of which will lie, because, that's what people do.

So the courts look at the numbers, and the laws of the state, which are not unfair when they give the non working/non monied spouse a short 2 years worth of support to give her a chance to become self supporting.

Sure lots of guys would just like to pull the plug and walk away and have nothing to do with their exwife after the divorce is final, but when they've been supporting their wives for years, that's just not reasonable or the least bit fair even if we don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
You should be responsible for yourself and have to be provided for by someone who's no longer in your life. If you put yourself in a situation where you end up divorced with no money to call your own, that's should be your damned fault.
They are BOTH responsible for the situation, not just her. She refused to work as much as she might have been able to, and he allowed it to perpetuate for the entire marriage. That's on him, not the courts or the legislatures who make such laws.
browser is offline  
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,341
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post



We all know that is never going to happen. You'll have to settle for daydreaming about it every single day for the rest of your natural life.
Let's not say never. If my situation changes then that could change the equation a little. You never know what could end up in your path one day.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"
jb02157 is offline  
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,341
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post

Sure lots of guys would just like to pull the plug and walk away and have nothing to do with their exwife after the divorce is final, but when they've been supporting their wives for years, that's just not reasonable or the least bit fair even if we don't like it.
What's the matter for being responsible for yourself? Just because one person has been supporting you for a long time and you decide to be an ******* to that person and they decide to thrown you out in the street, that doesn't make them responsible for your actions and for them to have to continue to support you even after you have nothing to do with each other anymore. I'm sorry I just don't understand how that's even logical. If you're an ******* to someone who's your sole support you deserve to be responsible for your actions. If the person providing support wants to discontinue supporting you, they should have that right.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"
jb02157 is offline  
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,695
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
What's the matter for being responsible for yourself? Just because one person has been supporting you for a long time and you decide to be an ******* to that person and they decide to thrown you out in the street, that doesn't make them responsible for your actions and for them to have to continue to support you even after you have nothing to do with each other anymore. I'm sorry I just don't understand how that's even logical. If you're an ******* to someone who's your sole support you deserve to be responsible for your actions. If the person providing support wants to discontinue supporting you, they should have that right.
The courts are not going to try to figure out who was the bad guy/gal in a marriage. Why? Because they know that most likely both parties contributed to the failure of the marriage. And they also know that both parties contribute to building the assets of a marriage, even the one who did not work. Usually the one who did not work was home taking care of kids. They could have been working and built their own career. But instead they put their energies towards to the family.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:28 PM
Member
 
jb02157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,341
Re: Question about alimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
The courts are not going to try to figure out who was the bad guy/gal in a marriage. Why? Because they know that most likely both parties contributed to the failure of the marriage. And they also know that both parties contribute to building the assets of a marriage, even the one who did not work. Usually the one who did not work was home taking care of kids. They could have been working and built their own career. But instead they put their energies towards to the family.
I understand you and the courts say this is fair but it really isn't. Having laws like this make it so that a penniless woman can get into a relationship with a man where she agrees to take care of the kids and deliberately becomes an ******* to him causing a divorce where she now has the right to claim half of all his possessions. That just seems like theft to me, yet our court system makes it perfectly legal.

"I've paid double for every transgression I've ever made and that motel and that boat are little to ask for"
jb02157 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cunilingus- A question for the ladies uxorious Sex in Marriage 28 06-08-2016 02:51 PM
Finance Strategy Question scooterM Considering Divorce or Separation 5 06-01-2016 08:26 PM
Question for the CHEATERS ihatethis General Relationship Discussion 15 12-16-2015 10:15 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome