To move back or move on? - Talk About Marriage
Going Through Divorce or Separation A new addition to our forums, a place to go for sharing and support for those going through divorce and separation.

User Tag List

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
To move back or move on?

My husband and I have been separated since the end of November, I am devastated. Our real downfall started when my sister passed away two years ago, I slipped into a deep depression. My husband and I grew further and further apart, he didn't want to stay at home with someone so sad and I didn't feel like going out. On the occasion when I did go out with him it would be to a bar we frequent. I made a horrible mistake and kissed another guy at this bar, I don't even know why. He saw us, kicked me out of the house that night and I moved to NC (we live in FL) the next day to stay with my mom. He threatened if I moved back into the house he would file for divorce immediately, so I have stayed away. He has since dated other women (I have dated no one) and says he has only kissed one of them. He barely wants to talk to me and a couple of months ago said he thinks we should divorce, after crying together on the phone he stated he wanted to try one more thing and see a pastor about our marriage. He has been twice, but won't really budge on moving forward.
He states the past couple years have been bad in our marriage, it felt like we were roommates and he doesn't think our marriage can be saved. He is in a very "me, me, me" place and doesn't feel like fighting. I want to move back, into my own apartment to be near him and try to work things out. He states he can not promise he will spend any time with me , and doesn't think it's a good idea. I feel if I don't move down, I'm just giving up. I fear if I do, it will be a constant rejection, that I don't know that I can handle. Any thoughts, ideas? Please help. Any advise would be helpful.
Thank you!

elwe7513 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,077
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe7513 View Post
My husband and I have been separated since the end of November, I am devastated. Our real downfall started when my sister passed away two years ago, I slipped into a deep depression. My husband and I grew further and further apart, he didn't want to stay at home with someone so sad and I didn't feel like going out. On the occasion when I did go out with him it would be to a bar we frequent. I made a horrible mistake and kissed another guy at this bar, I don't even know why. He saw us, kicked me out of the house that night and I moved to NC (we live in FL) the next day to stay with my mom. He threatened if I moved back into the house he would file for divorce immediately, so I have stayed away. He has since dated other women (I have dated no one) and says he has only kissed one of them. He barely wants to talk to me and a couple of months ago said he thinks we should divorce, after crying together on the phone he stated he wanted to try one more thing and see a pastor about our marriage. He has been twice, but won't really budge on moving forward.
He states the past couple years have been bad in our marriage, it felt like we were roommates and he doesn't think our marriage can be saved. He is in a very "me, me, me" place and doesn't feel like fighting. I want to move back, into my own apartment to be near him and try to work things out. He states he can not promise he will spend any time with me , and doesn't think it's a good idea. I feel if I don't move down, I'm just giving up. I fear if I do, it will be a constant rejection, that I don't know that I can handle. Any thoughts, ideas? Please help. Any advise would be helpful.
Thank you!
Why not try going back for a week or so and see how you get along together.Kissing another man may have been the final straw for him though.After putting up with your depression for two years and then to see you kissing another man in public,probably in front of his friends,that would have been unforgivable in my opinion.
Andy1001 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,306
To move back or move on?

How old are you? How long were you married? Do you have a job?
225985 is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Member
 
Lostme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Down South
Posts: 652
Re: To move back or move on?

This is a tough one, it sounds like is his already done, and you will more than likely push him away further by moving back.

I would advise staying where you are and work on yourself, he is just being honest with you that if you go back he can't promise that he will spend time with you. You cheated on him and that is something he probably can't get over.



You do matter!
Lostme is online now  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Re: To move back or move on?

that is what he said, he doesn't want to be the guy that lets his wife walk all over him and allow her back.
elwe7513 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Re: To move back or move on?

I do have a job in NC, I'm 35, married 6 years in July. No kids, I gave that up for him.

Last edited by elwe7513; 03-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
elwe7513 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Re: To move back or move on?

He says still he is not ready to get a divorce, that there's a small percent chance of reconciliation. I have been working on me, and trust me it's hard for me to think of moving down there, especially since he cheated now too, out of spite. I just know I'll regret not trying. But unsure of how much I can take of his refection
elwe7513 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Emerging Buddhist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: World-wide
Posts: 1,467
Re: To move back or move on?

What have you learned about yourself in this time?

What is different in you now than there was then?

नमस्ते 🙏
Emerging Buddhist is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Emerging Buddhist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: World-wide
Posts: 1,467
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe7513 View Post
He says still he is not ready to get a divorce, that there's a small percent chance of reconciliation. I have been working on me, and trust me it's hard for me to think of moving down there, especially since he cheated now too, out of spite. I just know I'll regret not trying. But unsure of how much I can take of his refection
All the senses are required for reconciliation... sight, sound, touch, taste, smell... they all affect the heart and mind when we are with those we love and they help as presence ties it all together. Being there will be needed if you are to exist again in your marriage.

You cannot be as you were, those days are done... please do not allow things to be defined by those dark days.

It's painful to realize we were the mortar in somebody's walls... all we can do after the fact is offer them a design for building a better hammer so that the value in tearing down their wall has more value than keeping it.

That design is in how we have learned to build ourselves...

No design is perfect, but even the most imperfect thing can accomplish the task quite well.

Forgiveness is mutually assured compassion...

नमस्ते 🙏
Emerging Buddhist is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging Buddhist View Post
What have you learned about yourself in this time?

What is different in you now than there was then?

I have grown stronger in my faith, putting my trust in God. Stopped blaming God for the loss of my sister, which has helped me with depression.

elwe7513 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Emerging Buddhist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: World-wide
Posts: 1,467
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe7513 View Post
I have grown stronger in my faith, putting my trust in God. Stopped blaming God for the loss of my sister, which has helped me with depression.
This is wonderful growth... trusting one's spiritual connection is critical for peace within. Have you shared this with him?

If the best you can do is offer closure, then that is your best... nothing wrong in that, but request to do it in person.

Sometimes we don't get that though... but if you do, let sadness take it's proper place.

It's proper place is behind many others... confidence, acceptance, courage, patience... even uncertainty of what you are facing today.

Show him what you have let go... and share with him what you would like to keep.

You cannot control what the future brings, but you can bring the good that contributes to it's success.

Bad things happen to good people, I am sorry for your the loss of your sister and while it was heartbreaking, you have learned it doesn't define you... now show him.

Peace be with you.

नमस्ते 🙏
Emerging Buddhist is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM
Forum Supporter
 
3Xnocharm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 6,238
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1001 View Post
Why not try going back for a week or so and see how you get along together.Kissing another man may have been the final straw for him though.After putting up with your depression for two years and then to see you kissing another man in public,probably in front of his friends,that would have been unforgivable in my opinion.
I agree.

It sounds like you have needed professional help to deal with your grief, you were not handling it well on your own. I would suggest that you get into therapy to help yourself heal.

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3Xnocharm is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,326
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe7513 View Post
My husband and I have been separated since the end of November, I am devastated. Our real downfall started when my sister passed away two years ago, I slipped into a deep depression. My husband and I grew further and further apart, he didn't want to stay at home with someone so sad and I didn't feel like going out. On the occasion when I did go out with him it would be to a bar we frequent. I made a horrible mistake and kissed another guy at this bar, I don't even know why. He saw us, kicked me out of the house that night and I moved to NC (we live in FL) the next day to stay with my mom. He threatened if I moved back into the house he would file for divorce immediately, so I have stayed away. He has since dated other women (I have dated no one) and says he has only kissed one of them. He barely wants to talk to me and a couple of months ago said he thinks we should divorce, after crying together on the phone he stated he wanted to try one more thing and see a pastor about our marriage. He has been twice, but won't really budge on moving forward.
He states the past couple years have been bad in our marriage, it felt like we were roommates and he doesn't think our marriage can be saved. He is in a very "me, me, me" place and doesn't feel like fighting. I want to move back, into my own apartment to be near him and try to work things out. He states he can not promise he will spend any time with me , and doesn't think it's a good idea. I feel if I don't move down, I'm just giving up. I fear if I do, it will be a constant rejection, that I don't know that I can handle. Any thoughts, ideas? Please help. Any advise would be helpful.
Thank you!
Sounds like he is done. Some things you can't take back. He doesn't want to break you but he has moved on. You should to. Use the time to work on you. You are depressed and you are married women who kissed a man in public with your husband in the room. That is pretty severe. Unless you make yourself safer you have the potential to do this kind of thing again.

What have you done about your poor boundaries? What do you think is the reason you would disrespect your husband so publicly? This isn't your common cheating behind close doors this was a very public thing you did. Were you angry with him?

Have you learned techniques to help when the next crisis appears in your life.

Just because he is done doesn't mean your life is over. It means this relationship is over. From your post I think you still have some stuff to deal with.

Last edited by sokillme; 03-29-2017 at 10:31 AM.
sokillme is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4,326
Re: To move back or move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwe7513 View Post
I have been working on me, and trust me it's hard for me to think of moving down there, especially since he cheated now too, out of spite.
This is questionable some would say you broke the contract, so there is no contract (this is how I feel personally, but I would immediately divorce for legal reasons, in my mind we would no longer be married.). He also was honest with you about what he was doing. If you feel this way I am not sure why you are trying to save this?

I have to be honest what you did would probably cause most marriages to be over right there and then. He really doesn't have to do anything for you and he has done nothing wrong. You sound angry that he hasn't taken you back yet.

Last edited by sokillme; 03-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.
sokillme is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,087
Re: To move back or move on?

There are millions of other single men out there. Learn from your mistakes and start over with a new man. You both need to start over and find what you're looking for. I see no need to save this marriage.
GuyInColorado is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome