My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Talk About Divorce and Separation »Going Through Divorce or Separation » My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Going Through Divorce or Separation A new addition to our forums, a place to go for sharing and support for those going through divorce and separation.

Like Tree70Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

So my wife told me that the marriage is over and she will not talk to me at all! She blocked my number so I cannot call her or text her.

Background

My wife and I began dating in 2001. We married on Oct. 19, 2008. So we dated for about 7 years. During the time of us dating, she would have these moments where she would "run". She would, out of the blue, say the relationship was too much for her, tell me it was over, and leave. Weeks later, we will be back together. This would happen like clock work, at least twice a year.

In 2007, she gave her life to the Lord, was baptized and never ran again. So in March of 2008 I proposed. Things were great up until Feb. of this year. She unexpectedly told me she was not coming home and was going to her parent's house. I BLEW UP! I told her we are not dating anymore, we are married! No more back and forth is what I told her. She said okay, and moved out.

A month later she was back home because her parents kicked her out. We were dating while she was at her parents house and she was angry with her parents for untimely putting her out. She said she wanted one more month for us to continue dating. So we both agreed that she would rent a room from a house around the street so we could continue working on the marriage without living together because we thought the constant seeing each other would lead to another blow up.

I became extremely busy with work. She would come home everyday, but little did I know, she was wanting me to tell her to come home. She would tell our pastor that she did not know how much more she could take of this, living separate and how badly she wanted to come home. She never told me this, though she swears she did. Anyway, 3 weeks ago, she told me out of the blue that I would not be seeing her that weekend. I tried to talk to her to find out what was wrong because we had been doing so well. She said nothing and was clearly depressed. I got angry and silly me, told her, "you're not happy. you're making me unhappy. just go on with your life. this back and forth, our family does not need."

That hurt her and we did not talk for a week. After a week I tried contacting her but she was not having it. This past weekend she came home while I was not home and got her stuff. I went to her place where she is staying, spoke with her and she said the marriage is over. Said I made her feel like a door mat. Said she finds it funny that I want to work on the marriage now when she has been wanting it for months. She said, "no. I don't want it. I'm done." I tried texting her over and over again and she put a block on my phone.

I am 100% committed to making it work. But how do I do that without being able to contact her at all??? Should I give her time to cool off?
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
vi_bride04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,560
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Everytime you take her back you are rewarding the "run away" behavior. She will continue to act that way, I mean, what does she have to lose? She runs away, you take her back. No loss. You are always there for her backup plan.

If you didn't take her back next time maybe she would realize she can't keep running away from things. Or maybe not.

Are you sure there isn't another man in the picture during these "I'm so done with the relationship" times?
vi_bride04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Yes, I am sure. I have kept a close eye on her during these times in the past. She is not like that. I have also read one of her journals when she "ran" away one of the times before we were married. She went out with a guy and was "hot" but did not have sex with him. She said in her journal she loved me still and didn't trust the guy.

It may be possible that now there is a guy, but it would had to happen really fast. She was with me all up until the week before she "ended it."
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
vi_bride04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mich
Posts: 3,560
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Yes, I am sure. I have kept a close eye on her during these times in the past. She is not like that. I have also read one of her journals when she "ran" away one of the times before we were married. She went out with a guy and was "hot" but did not have sex with him. She said in her journal she loved me still and didn't trust the guy.

It may be possible that now there is a guy, but it would had to happen really fast. She was with me all up until the week before she "ended it."
Thats what everyone thought of their spouse whose been cheated on. Don't rule it out. Especially if she went on a date with a guy during one of the times you are separated. She may have had sex with him and just didn't put it in her journal. You never know.

I mean do you REALLY know her and who she is? She can't even open up to communicate with you about the relationship so does she even really truely open up about herself and who she is deep down?

Don't go chasing after her. That will push her further away if you really want to work on things. Blocking your number is a pretty extreme measure, IMO, I mean if she really does want a divorce she will need to keep in contact with you unless you are getting lawyers...her behavior just seems very strange. Or is this normal for her?
vi_bride04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Actually, it is normal. She is VERY unstable. She does not think futuristically. She acts on impulse and emotions and then when the emotions die she changes.

If she files for divorce she knows it will be rough and expensive. I am an attorney. She will be cautious. I won't file. I won't chase her either. She left. All I can do is wait for the next response; either divorce papers or her contacting me telling me she wants to talk.
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 847
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

That was not 'silly me' when you told her that your family doesn't need her 'one foot in, one foot out' approach to your marriage.
She's doing you a favor by leaving. How exhausting for you! She's got some fantasy about what real life and marriage are all about.
indiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiecat View Post
That was not 'silly me' when you told her that your family doesn't need her 'one foot in, one foot out' approach to your marriage.
She's doing you a favor by leaving. How exhausting for you! She's got some fantasy about what real life and marriage are all about.
You are SO right about that. Thank you for seeing that. Thought I was the only one.
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

So no one can get through to her. She is telling EVERYONE that she is done and the marriage is over.

I guess all I can do is sit back and wait to be served.
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,455
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
So no one can get through to her. She is telling EVERYONE that she is done and the marriage is over.

I guess all I can do is sit back and wait to be served.
When has she ever really "done" anything?

I wouldn't sweat out being served.

She likely doesn't have the follow-through to do it.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

So many women seem to have this same fantasy about what real life and marriage are all about. It doesn't help when their friends, family and society constantly bombard them with "You should just be happy." and "Just do what makes you happy."

May God help us through these trials.
SCondeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
moxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,537
Default

Is she bipolar or something like that? Something spooks her a couple times a year. Is she afraid of commitment? Has she been hurt in the past?

Getting her to open up about what is causing the intense desire for freedom and the feeling of relational claustrophobia might help her get past it.

I pull away from people when I get too close, when I feel too obligated to them. I can understand the desire for escape. Maybe she's afraid you won't accept some part of her? Maybe she is struggling to accept some aspect of herself that is triggered a couple times a year? I think that whatever it is, she rugswept it and expected religion to cure it, but it hasn't. I think, more than trying to condition her out of this behavior, the two of you should try to get to the root of it.
__________________
"He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"“We first crush people to the earth, & then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate." -Lydia Maria Child.
moxy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy View Post
Is she bipolar or something like that? Something spooks her a couple times a year. Is she afraid of commitment? Has she been hurt in the past?

Getting her to open up about what is causing the intense desire for freedom and the feeling of relational claustrophobia might help her get past it.

I pull away from people when I get too close, when I feel too obligated to them. I can understand the desire for escape. Maybe she's afraid you won't accept some part of her? Maybe she is struggling to accept some aspect of herself that is triggered a couple times a year? I think that whatever it is, she rugswept it and expected religion to cure it, but it hasn't. I think, more than trying to condition her out of this behavior, the two of you should try to get to the root of it.
I think you are right. But as of right now, she is not open to speaking with me at all. I think all of her fears and insecurities she has now placed blame on me and the marriage, so she is running away from both because in her mind we are the reasons why, 1) she does not know herself, 2) she has low self esteem, 3) she feels like a door mat.

I am hoping and praying that when she realizes, as she has in the past, that I am not the cause of these feelings, that she will come back.
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
When has she ever really "done" anything?

I wouldn't sweat out being served.

She likely doesn't have the follow-through to do it.
Honestly, I think you are dead on, Conrad. I think she will rather wait on me to do it or just wait for years without doing it. Unless she falls in love with someone and wants to marry him, I do not think she will pull the trigger. I am not pulling it either, though as of right now, I have grounds to get an instant divorce (we live in an at-fault state).
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 223
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCondeck View Post
So many women seem to have this same fantasy about what real life and marriage are all about. It doesn't help when their friends, family and society constantly bombard them with "You should just be happy." and "Just do what makes you happy."

May God help us through these trials.
Thank you, S. Condeck.
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,455
Default Re: My Wife Says It's Over, Won't talk at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Honestly, I think you are dead on, Conrad. I think she will rather wait on me to do it or just wait for years without doing it. Unless she falls in love with someone and wants to marry him, I do not think she will pull the trigger. I am not pulling it either, though as of right now, I have grounds to get an instant divorce (we live in an at-fault state).
If she insists you pull the trigger (which she may), a simple, "I'm not ok paying for a divorce I don't want" will do the trick.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just had a talk with my wife joshbjoshb The Men's Clubhouse 11 10-29-2012 11:43 AM
My wife will not talk to me. AnxiousInTN Physical & Mental Health Issues 1 11-28-2011 08:12 PM
Why my wife can't talk to me about sex? marcopoly69 Sex in Marriage 10 10-24-2010 03:59 PM
How to get wife to talk matt General Relationship Discussion 11 04-12-2009 03:24 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.