Advice dealing with auto insurance.... - Talk About Marriage
The Ladies' Lounge Sharing and support.

User Tag List

 7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Advice dealing with auto insurance....

So somebody hit my vehicle...vehicle is undrivable and had to be towed...damage to front passenger side. I am just waiting now to see if it will be fixed or written off. Other person is at fault.

I am ticked that if it is written off..essentially if they give me book value it is not worth more than what I owe on it. It is only 2.5 years old, I bought it new so my fear is once I pay off the loan than I have to go out and start over again...looking for a vehicle, don't like the idea of buying used as not sure how the prior owners were wth maintenance, etc.

If I buy new I will have to incur a higher payment than what I currently have...

I am ticked off all around by this...at the person who hit me and at the insurance as I worry they will try and rip me off.

Any advice in regards to this?

Physically no injuries but now just stressed as I am in limbo. I do have a rental but still...

highwood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

My advice is that you need to look at the positives. You could have been hit by a drunk driver and seriously injured, maimed, or killed.

Happens all the time, where we are victims of other peoples carelessness, or mental disorders.

Consider yourself lucky that the worst thing that happens is you'll be driving a new car and you'll have a longer term loan.
browser is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 6,304
Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
So somebody hit my vehicle...vehicle is undrivable and had to be towed...damage to front passenger side. I am just waiting now to see if it will be fixed or written off. Other person is at fault.



I am ticked that if it is written off..essentially if they give me book value it is not worth more than what I owe on it. It is only 2.5 years old, I bought it new so my fear is once I pay off the loan than I have to go out and start over again...looking for a vehicle, don't like the idea of buying used as not sure how the prior owners were wth maintenance, etc.



If I buy new I will have to incur a higher payment than what I currently have...



I am ticked off all around by this...at the person who hit me and at the insurance as I worry they will try and rip me off.



Any advice in regards to this?



Physically no injuries but now just stressed as I am in limbo. I do have a rental but still...


For starters, never say you have no physical injury.

Just because you don't feel immediate pain does not mean you are not injured.

Last edited by 225985; 12-30-2016 at 03:15 PM.
225985 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Member
 
Hope1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 8,845
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

When my SUV was written off I argued with the insurance company about how much it was worth and got more than they offered. Go online and find some kijiji ads and also the black?? book value for it then present that to your insurance company. Or do a google search for 'how to find the value of a vehicle in alberta' - some useful sites come up.

You should also visit your chiropractor and/or doctor about the possibility of injury. I thought I was fine after our vehicle rolled but was not, and got free chiro, massage and other things to help me recover. They can help you claim anything you need to as well - my chiro just gave me a bunch of stuff for free and billed directly.

You will also need to claim for a rental car for the duration till you either get it back or it gets fixed.

Your insurance company should deal with the other persons insurance company on your behalf and work FOR YOU.

People don't get a free pass to cheat just because their marriage sucks.

Our R
Hope1964 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225985 View Post
For starters, never say you have no physical injury.

Just because you don't feel immediate pain does not mean you are injured.
^^This.

Not saying you should make something up but lots of people do. It's not just an accident, it's an opportunity.

Insurance companies have LOTS of money.
browser is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Yes for sure it could have been worse no doubt and for that I am grateful....just feeling stressed as I am kind of in limbo right now. I am going to fight for as much as I can get if it is written off.

Not fair if they give me just enough to pay the VW loan off then I have to go out and buy something else with no trade in value or cash down.
highwood is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 50
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

From my experience you can ALWAYS get more than their first offer.
howdouknow is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Just some background, I owe about $16,000 on the car loan. When I purchased it in June 2014 I had a 0% interest rate..now the interest rates are not 0% primarily because the 2017's are the bulk of inventory. The sales price I paid at that time was $28,000.00 minus my trade in at the time, which was $3,000.00 so I financed $25,000.00.

So to me in fairness, if I have to buy a comparable vehicle, I do not want to be financing more than $16,000.00 plus add in some extra to cover the interest (which depending on the rate say 2%, etc. can add up to at least $1,000.00 over the period of the loan amortization.

Regardless, if it is written off I am going to have to pay VW the loan balance and if all I am given is say that amount to cover the loan, then I have nothing to put down toward another vehicle.
highwood is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

I know I am getting myself worked up as I have no clue what will happen and with Monday being a holiday I will not find out anything until Tuesday probably...but I also think that as the other driver was at fault and my own insurance does not have to pay for anything then I would expect more generosity so to speak.
highwood is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,873
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

If the insurance company's initial offer is to low use a licensed loss adjuster to make a claim on your behalf.Most insurance companies are happy to deal with loss adjusters and actually use them themselves in some instances.

Andy1001 is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,696
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

If your car was parked, then blame should 100% be placed on the other party and I'd push that for all it was worth.
Starstarfish is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstarfish View Post
If your car was parked, then blame should 100% be placed on the other party and I'd push that for all it was worth.
That does not appear to be the issue.
browser is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser View Post
That does not appear to be the issue.
Correct...I was going straight and he proceeded to turn in front of me from a shopping centre type parking lot.
highwood is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 AM
Forum Supporter
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 11,515
Cool Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope1964 View Post
When my SUV was written off I argued with the insurance company about how much it was worth and got more than they offered. Go online and find some kijiji ads and also the black?? book value for it then present that to your insurance company. Or do a google search for 'how to find the value of a vehicle in alberta' - some useful sites come up.

You should also visit your chiropractor and/or doctor about the possibility of injury. I thought I was fine after our vehicle rolled but was not, and got free chiro, massage and other things to help me recover. They can help you claim anything you need to as well - my chiro just gave me a bunch of stuff for free and billed directly.

You will also need to claim for a rental car for the duration till you either get it back or it gets fixed.

Your insurance company should deal with the other persons insurance company on your behalf and work FOR YOU.
In most cases, subrogation will be used by your insurance carrier against the offenders insurance company and is a perfectly normal procedure!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story! http://talkaboutmarriage.com/going-t...andonment.html
arbitrator is online now  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,478
Re: Advice dealing with auto insurance....

Well screw me I guess...I found out yesterday that my waiver depreication coverage ended after 30 months so...and that was December 21st a week before the accident. So if vehicle is written off I will essentially get black book value for it.

Still no word though on if it is repairable, that is my best hope now.
highwood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marriage help- advice please D+L The Ladies' Lounge 18 03-26-2017 07:07 AM
Need reconcialtion advice please Anon. Reconciliation 13 06-16-2016 07:50 PM
Newly Separated - Need Advice SoccerDude Going Through Divorce or Separation 2 06-15-2016 08:26 PM
Need advice mylife2469 The Ladies' Lounge 62 06-11-2016 08:06 PM
Need advice from women about situation with daughter. Quadronos The Ladies' Lounge 12 04-15-2016 06:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome