Re: What To Look Forward To?
I was where you are once upon a time, thou not divorce, i felt lost in the sense that, i looked at my life less as who i was, as opposed to the roles i played in life....husband, son, father, boss, employee....and one day i realized that yeah i could continue to play the parts that people saw me in, and most of us do or I could stop defining myself as those parts, and define who i wanted to be. I could start to change what i wanted to be, i saw this as my second act in life.....I always loved education, i love photography, i enjoy writing for me not anyone else, i enjoy working out, hiking and so on....i made a plan, a plan of the things i told myself i would do over the years if only i had enough time, energy or money...and you know what i discovered that you never have enough time, energy nor money that match your thoughts....that the real culprit was the lack of drive....that spark you needed to get your ass off the chair.
I wrote my personal bucket list cliche i know but call it what you want....a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish in my life... there is the important thing, not to make money, or get a better job, or to win an award, but to go right to top of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - Self-Actualization, and if what i learned i could share with others then that to me was just the cherry on a sundae. So i made a 5 year plan, i expect your plan to be different than mine, and well it should be but make it flexible to move things around, and the beauty of it was that it relied just on me, no one else. here a couple things on mine, and what i have discovered is that I keep a personal log book of the stuff i want to further explore and do off shoots of things i want to learn
1. I always loved computers, i decided to learn linux, then i decided i liked it so i decided to learn python, then java scripting, which learn to an interest in cyber security which lead to going back to school and getting another undergraduate degree in cyber security, and now going after a another masters in cyber security
2. I loved photography so i decided to travel and just take a camera and book and take pictures...i even post them on flicker
3. i volunteer at a food bank and i enjoy every moment of it
4. I am learning Spanish because i have always wanted to learn more languages
5. every year for the past 5 years, i have taken author and read 5 of their books...Hemingway, Somerset Maugham, Joyce, Miller, this year i am reading mexican authors
6. I write everyday, may short stories or poetry or just my thoughts
7. I do one random act of kindness everyday
8. i Challenge myself to run 5ks, 10ks
9. I challenge myself to take an opposite view and investigate why someone may think that way
my list is longer but still manageable and i add and subtract based on how i feel....all of this started with mind mapping, throwing everything up on a wall and see the patterns of my wants and my passion. But none of this will start until your really ready, what would it hurt to do a simple mind map and see where your passion lies or make a simple bucket list. good luck.