Separation with Kids, Housing Alternative
My wife and I are currently working through the challenges of a separation after 15 years of friendly marriage with little to no intimate chemistry.
We have three kids and are muddling through different options to ensure we transition in the most healthy manner for them.
We are separating amicably and both have a ton of love, respect, and friendship for each other. Because of this, we want to live near each to ensure we are both in our kids lives on a regular basis.
One challenge to a separation is the financial aspect of running two households. She had a thought.
Rather than owning two 3-4 bedroom houses, what about the idea of having one 3-4 bedroom house and one studio/efficiency/1bdr apartment?
The idea, rather than have the kids go back and forth to mommy and daddy's house, have mommy and daddy go back and for the the family house.
This would obviously be a temporary sitituation until one party was ready to be move on seriously with another person....moreso than simply dating.
- Monetary savings (rent/mortgage, heating/cooling, furniture...)
- Stability: The kids would have their own space, shuffling toys and clothing and this and that back and forth would not be required. They'd have a consistent living environment with one set of shared rules and chores. If pets are involved, there's no missing them.
- The kids continue to see that mommy and daddy have a good relationship and they would not being abandoned.
- Each parent has their free time and a place to host company, dates, etc.
- It's not really moving on...