Adventures with Spouse - Page 5 - Talk About Marriage
Long Term Success in Marriage If you've been married 10+ years and consider your marriage a success, post your success story here. Help others by talking about what works for you.

User Tag List

 109Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:08 AM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
You found a way to make an adventure out of just telling him where you are going. What a fun way to learn where you're going. I like those kinds of puzzles and it sounds like he does too. Exploring the unknown is an adventure and a trip to a country where you've just learned tidbits of the language should be an adventure. Japan is a super nice place to visit. The people are so friendly and helpful you should have a great time with the exploring attitude you both share. がんばつてください!
(Good luck! Written by someone who doesn't know enough Kanji to write it correctly.)
Arigatoo, meson. I can almost read that Kanji!

We've had fun going to language class together but I didn't realize this one would be so detailed. It's more than the basics for travel. Unexpectedly, it's stirred a new 'passion' in me. I love the way my mind boggles trying to learn how to speak, read and write Japanese, so I'll be continuing down this path to learn the language fluently. Hubs is opting out, his plate is full and his interest doesn't extend beyond being able to successfully order a bowl of ramen haha. We'll pick up a basic travellers class together closer to when we go.

Until then, I'll be diligently writing and memorizing Hiragana!


Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
meson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where I pitch a tent
Posts: 1,345
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsbeating View Post
Arigatoo, meson. I can almost read that Kanji!

We've had fun going to language class together but I didn't realize this one would be so detailed. It's more than the basics for travel. Unexpectedly, it's stirred a new 'passion' in me. I love the way my mind boggles trying to learn how to speak, read and write Japanese, so I'll be continuing down this path to learn the language fluently. Hubs is opting out, his plate is full and his interest doesn't extend beyond being able to successfully order a bowl of ramen haha. We'll pick up a basic travellers class together closer to when we go.

Until then, I'll be diligently writing and memorizing Hiragana!
That's awesome that you want to become fluent! Both my Dad and Daughter love Japanease and study it more than I do. Here is an old book that has wonderful information on Japan of the past:

We Japanese: Being descriptions of many of the customs, manners, ceremonies, festivals, arts and crafts of the Japanese, besides numerous other subjects: H. S. K Yamaguchi: Amazon.com: Books

I'm sure that you and your husband will have a blast ordering Ramen. Let me know how it turns out.

I don't want to not live because of my fear of what could happen. - Laird Hamilton
Listen to your spouse!
Fog v. Love
meson is offline  
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Anonymous07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,948
Re: Adventures with Spouse

My husband and I are going away for one night this weekend for the first time without our son. I'm a little nervous about it, but excited as well. I'm looking forward to having couple time, without a toddler hanging on me. My parents are watching our son and I'm hoping it all goes well.
Anonymous07 is offline  
 
post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
meson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where I pitch a tent
Posts: 1,345
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous07 View Post
My husband and I are going away for one night this weekend for the first time without our son. I'm a little nervous about it, but excited as well. I'm looking forward to having couple time, without a toddler hanging on me. My parents are watching our son and I'm hoping it all goes well.
I remember doing that many years ago. It was hard for my wife to not think about the kids the first several times we went off on a date night. Have fun!

I don't want to not live because of my fear of what could happen. - Laird Hamilton
Listen to your spouse!
Fog v. Love
meson is offline  
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:58 PM
Member
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 337
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Surprise trips away from home seem to be really good for our souls and help refresh the chemical and mental bonds between us.

I'm typing this from a house on the pacific ocean that I rented for the weekend to celebrate our 1-year anniversary. I didn't tell my wife where we were going - She found out when we got here. It's been a quiet, idyllic, happy weekend with occasional reflections on how we got here, and what's ahead, and plenty of beach sand tracked in.

We've been doing the escape to the coast thing once or twice a year for a bit now. New locations each time make it more fun.

I've also arranged a couple road trips (and flights) to attend concerts, and those were great. Got a couple bucket list concerts checked off and made some great memories (and one of the funniest ex-wife stories yet).

We walk the plank with our eyes wide open.
Anubis is offline  
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
meson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where I pitch a tent
Posts: 1,345
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Surprise trips away from home seem to be really good for our souls and help refresh the chemical and mental bonds between us.

I'm typing this from a house on the pacific ocean that I rented for the weekend to celebrate our 1-year anniversary. I didn't tell my wife where we were going - She found out when we got here. It's been a quiet, idyllic, happy weekend with occasional reflections on how we got here, and what's ahead, and plenty of beach sand tracked in.

We've been doing the escape to the coast thing once or twice a year for a bit now. New locations each time make it more fun.

I've also arranged a couple road trips (and flights) to attend concerts, and those were great. Got a couple bucket list concerts checked off and made some great memories (and one of the funniest ex-wife stories yet).
Surprise trips are awesome! I haven't done one for years. The kids schedules make it hard to pick up and leave. But a few years ago it was a holiday weekend when we didn't have any plans and I just said lets go out to an amusement park a long drive off. So we picked up and went with the kids ans stayed in a motel and went to a new amusement park and did antique shopping. It was super fun and the kids had a blast.

That's really great that you are starting off your marriage with lots of spontaneity. Keep it up!

I don't want to not live because of my fear of what could happen. - Laird Hamilton
Listen to your spouse!
Fog v. Love
meson is offline  
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I've also arranged a couple road trips (and flights) to attend concerts, and those were great. Got a couple bucket list concerts checked off and made some great memories (and one of the funniest ex-wife stories yet).
Congrats on your anniversary! I remember the elaborate concert surprise celebration you shared - and now you're married! Wonderful news, keep it up.

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous07 View Post
My husband and I are going away for one night this weekend for the first time without our son. I'm a little nervous about it, but excited as well. I'm looking forward to having couple time, without a toddler hanging on me. My parents are watching our son and I'm hoping it all goes well.
I hope you both enjoyed the weekend. How did it go?

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 337
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsbeating View Post
Congrats on your anniversary! I remember the elaborate concert surprise celebration you shared - and now you're married! Wonderful news, keep it up.
Why thank you!

Yes, I do think the unexpected times away from the daily routine help keep the relationship foundation strong. It's probably also helps us that we both are non-custodial parents and fixed, so our daily lives aren't all-consumed by children. Sad in a way, but a reflection of how parenting competes with being a partner.


Since you mentioned the concert post (elaborate surprise birthday trip to see her favorite band) , I want to share a second concert road trip story:

Same band. One year later (week of new wife's birthday). Recording a live DVD in state where my ex-w lives, but not same city. Said band is also the "favorite" band of my ex-w.

Another Road trip to see them in concert, though this time not a "surprise" trip (we also visited my wife's parents in a different state).

I don't mention this trip to my ex-w, for three reasons: 1-none of her d**m business. 2-no time to try and visit kids - we're in the state for barely 24 hours. 3-because she would try and disrupt it* (ex-w has history of this as attempted control mechanism, as well as hatred of new w).

We fly into town. Check into hotel. We do dinner, then meet & greet w/ band, etc.

Concert starts, standing second row center stage. Camera boom is moving around above us, filming of the show.

During the middle of the concert, my phone goes off(!) It's my ex-w sending short video clips of this very concert taken moments earlier with text like "remind you of anything?" (song was about betrayal, etc) - just jabs because she knows current wife loves band, and wants to gloat that she's seeing them... Judging by the video, she's somewhere waaaay behind us near the back of the venue.

I text her back, saying things like "Oh, aren't they filming a DVD?" and lead on discussion of the event.

She sends more video clips and texts, gloating. I don't tip my hand as to the fact I am there.

Finally, near the end of the show, I give in and send back near-live video clips of my own, showing the band about 7-10 feet away, and a text expressing bafflement at why she didn't want a better vantage point for the show.

Her stunned reaction, and attempt to save face, was priceless.

We walk the plank with our eyes wide open.

Last edited by Anubis; 05-07-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Anubis is offline  
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Anonymous07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,948
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsbeating View Post
I hope you both enjoyed the weekend. How did it go?
Not as good as I had hoped because I came down with the same bad chest cold our son had/has, but it was still really nice to get away. I had a harder time than I thought I would being away from our son, too. Overall, it was great get away though.

Anonymous07 is offline  
post #71 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Her stunned reaction, and attempt to save face, was priceless.
That'd make a worthy scene in a rom-com!

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #72 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
That's awesome that you want to become fluent! Both my Dad and Daughter love Japanease and study it more than I do. Here is an old book that has wonderful information on Japan of the past:

We Japanese: Being descriptions of many of the customs, manners, ceremonies, festivals, arts and crafts of the Japanese, besides numerous other subjects: H. S. K Yamaguchi: Amazon.com: Books

I'm sure that you and your husband will have a blast ordering Ramen. Let me know how it turns out.
I meant to thank you for this book recommendation! I have saved the title in my wish list.

I've now learned hiragana ...small steps but in the right direction. The teacher sprung it on me to read and write sentences in hiragana without romaji to lean on! What a pleasant mind-twist to suddenly see sentences appear on the page and be able to write them too. Here's hoping I have the need to write 'This is my coffee. It's hot and delicious' while traveling ha ha. Coming soon is learning katakana.

Although I'm learning this solo, it's been great sharing it with hubs. He tries to pick up the main things from me, such as 'Is this seat taken?' and how to count! Somehow he makes the whole thing even more amusing.

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #73 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Member
 
Satya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,225
Adventures with Spouse

For SO and I, our plan is to take Tango lessons eventually (his idea). Currently, we engage in a lot of cultural arts (theater, music performances, fund raisers for arts) as we both enjoy the experiences. We aren't super keen on anything extreme, but I see dirt bike riding in our future.

"If you deliberately plan on being less than you are capable of being, then I warn you that you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life."

~ Abraham Maslow
Satya is offline  
post #74 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
meson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where I pitch a tent
Posts: 1,345
Adventures with Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya View Post
For SO and I, our plan is to take Tango lessons eventually (his idea). Currently, we engage in a lot of cultural arts (theater, music performances, fund raisers for arts) as we both enjoy the experiences. We aren't super keen on anything extreme, but I see dirt bike riding in our future.
Good deal! This is outside of my comfort zone. I'm a bit self conscious and dancing that needs skill is something I've avoided. I like to dance with my wife but its free form. Perhaps I should get over it and take ballroom dancing myself.

I don't want to not live because of my fear of what could happen. - Laird Hamilton
Listen to your spouse!
Fog v. Love
meson is offline  
post #75 of 85 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Member
 
scatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Southeast Massachusetts USA
Posts: 351
Re: Adventures with Spouse

We like white water rafting, amusement parks/fairs, river tubing, competitive board games, pretending we are on a first date, role play, sex toys, exercising together, getting lost in a new town, trying new foods, and probably more that I forgot.

Long term relationship of 25 years.
Finally made it legal 10/3/14
Three children 23, 21 and 15.
scatty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adventures in a strange new land MEM2020 General Relationship Discussion 145 02-02-2015 11:59 PM
Dealing with husbands online adventures CO_MOM Coping with Infidelity 3 09-17-2012 03:57 PM
Outdoor Adventures- Whistler bingofuel The Social Spot 2 02-07-2011 05:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome