how do i stop the fighting
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Focused Topics »Long Term Success in Marriage » how do i stop the fighting

Long Term Success in Marriage If you've been married 10+ years and consider your marriage a success, post your success story here. Help others by talking about what works for you.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By BadAdvice
  • 1 Post By MEM11363
  • 1 Post By heavensangel

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Default how do i stop the fighting

i sick of fighting my wife however if we disagree I feel the i'm only heard if we fight. Even if she knows she is wrong it has to be a fight. I don't think i do this. She has disagreed with me about things and i listeN. If I know she is right i say i'm sorry and try to change things.

If i disagree with her even if she knows she is wrong, she has to run down every environmental factor that lead her to her decision and everything i could have done to resolve this sooner. If i don't go through this torture the conversation is dropped and she does/says whatever she wants.

why? how do i get it to change?
bathoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 585
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Long building resentment.

My wife and I fight all the time. (long story)
But do we hold it over each other for days at at time?
No. She apologizes, and squeezes as much sex out of me as she can. Makes me completely forget what we are arguing about. lol.

Sounds like you two are having some out standing issue. Are you emotionally open to her? Are you talking with her? Are you two still intimate? Or was the last time you two had some couple time several weeks ago? That isn't healthy.

You need to talk, and NOT do it in a confrontational, 'what the hell is wrong with you' manner. You need to approach it in a loving, I want to make this work, manner.
Juicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

I would suggest when ever she is making a point, put your hands over your ears and just yell "Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah"

I did this to my sister when I was 6 and she totally got fed up and let me have the last pudding pop.
BadAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
scione's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 247
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Do you want to be right? or Do you want to be happy?
scione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 6,500
Default

When you know she is wrong you say why one time. One time.

She argues - you say 'I disagree'
And if she starts to talk you hold up your hand and say conversation is over. And if she tries to force it you walk away.

And then don't resume communication until she apologizes.
MEM11363 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southland, USA
Posts: 449
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Sounds to me that you have some resentment issues going on. Did you ever try to talk about things that really hurt each other and never healed properly?
I know that most men find difficult to talk about feelings and emotions, but one of the pillars of a good marriage is the ability to communicate with one another.
Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
I'mInLoveWithMyHubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,924
Default

Don't ever raise your voice. Keep talking to her in a calm way. Hopefully after a while, she'll calm down too. I don't know though, some people like to yell and argue all the time! There are some people who have anger issue and need help redirecting their anger instead of taking it out on their spouse or children.

In the last 13 years I've heard my husband yell once. It wasn't at me, but a kid that ran over our daughter with a motorized scooter after he was told not to come near us.

My husband and I do not fight. We've argued maybe twice in our entire marriage. Only because he was stressed to the max and things were changing at work. My husband is always patient and calm. This has really helped me become a more patient and calm person as well.

My ex h was a different story. He and I fought everyday. However, this was different. He was always putting me down calling me names and telling me how worthless I was. I always stood up for myself and never believed him. It was to the point where he was verbally abusive.

I'm like you, I hate fighting. My husband and I talk through everything and can easily compromise. He was raised in a calm environment. I was not. I grew up at my mother always yelling and screaming. I hated it and I never wanted to follow her example.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to live a more peaceful way of living.
I'mInLoveWithMyHubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 2,543
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathoffire View Post
i sick of fighting my wife however if we disagree I feel the i'm only heard if we fight. Even if she knows she is wrong it has to be a fight. I don't think i do this. She has disagreed with me about things and i listeN. If I know she is right i say i'm sorry and try to change things.

If i disagree with her even if she knows she is wrong, she has to run down every environmental factor that lead her to her decision and everything i could have done to resolve this sooner. If i don't go through this torture the conversation is dropped and she does/says whatever she wants.

why? how do i get it to change?
Welcome to my world and over the past year or so my wife and I have had serious arguments at least 40 times or more, and we're both kind of hot tempered and don't fight fairly by taking rude personal shots at each other! It's gotten so bad that we have agreed to split after the holidays in January if it doesn't all dramatically improve.
Cee Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 601
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

You really need a good communication barrier but it's blocked by all the resentment. She thinks you're full of **** about everything right now.
__________________
http://kipanixo.com My personal website. Blog and Store.
kipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

I was really surprised by reading your words!! I have the very same situation!! No matter what the subject, I am always the catalyst for what is wrong, or the root of the issue.

My wife called me today to discuss something that was insulting to me. I kept quiet and just let her speak. She called me back an hour later to discuss it again. When I calmly expressed my view on the matter, she lashed out at me shredding my character, and personality. She brought up things that didn't even have to do with the conversation!

I didn't want to be verbally insulted any longer, so I just apologized for upsetting her, held my tongue, and politely ended the conversation. I don't want to talk to her for as long as I can hold out for. I am tired of the fighting and everything somehow ending up to be my fault.
Umoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
FalconKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Across the street from you.
Posts: 858
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
I was really surprised by reading your words!! I have the very same situation!! No matter what the subject, I am always the catalyst for what is wrong, or the root of the issue.

My wife called me today to discuss something that was insulting to me. I kept quiet and just let her speak. She called me back an hour later to discuss it again. When I calmly expressed my view on the matter, she lashed out at me shredding my character, and personality. She brought up things that didn't even have to do with the conversation!

I didn't want to be verbally insulted any longer, so I just apologized for upsetting her, held my tongue, and politely ended the conversation. I don't want to talk to her for as long as I can hold out for. I am tired of the fighting and everything somehow ending up to be my fault.
The more you do this the worst it will get. I bet your wife wants your attention and she feels there is a need of hers you are not meeting(It could or could not be fair to you).
__________________
I'll do it for a dollar.
FalconKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
FalconKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Across the street from you.
Posts: 858
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathoffire View Post
i sick of fighting my wife however if we disagree I feel the i'm only heard if we fight. Even if she knows she is wrong it has to be a fight. I don't think i do this. She has disagreed with me about things and i listeN. If I know she is right i say i'm sorry and try to change things.

If i disagree with her even if she knows she is wrong, she has to run down every environmental factor that lead her to her decision and everything i could have done to resolve this sooner. If i don't go through this torture the conversation is dropped and she does/says whatever she wants.

why? how do i get it to change?
Hmmm.. it could be certain issue or a combination

Your wife sounds insecure and my have trouble showing you her faults. She could be wanting control in relationship. She can't seem to admit she is wrong and probably tries to challenge you on everything. She also may feel she doesn't get enough attention from you, or she has lost respect for you and is taking you for granted. How long have you guys been married? Who works more? How do you feel she contributes to the marriage? How do you feel you do?
__________________
I'll do it for a dollar.
FalconKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
NEM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 12
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
I was really surprised by reading your words!! I have the very same situation!! No matter what the subject, I am always the catalyst for what is wrong, or the root of the issue.

My wife called me today to discuss something that was insulting to me. I kept quiet and just let her speak. She called me back an hour later to discuss it again. When I calmly expressed my view on the matter, she lashed out at me shredding my character, and personality. She brought up things that didn't even have to do with the conversation!

I didn't want to be verbally insulted any longer, so I just apologized for upsetting her, held my tongue, and politely ended the conversation. I don't want to talk to her for as long as I can hold out for. I am tired of the fighting and everything somehow ending up to be my fault.

I was once like you before, letting things go, let her win the arguments/discussions. Eventually she'll grow to disrespect you further if you let this continue. Unfortunately for me to have that kind of wife, your spouse might be more reasonable once you raise your point of view.
NEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 249
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umoja View Post
I was really surprised by reading your words!! I have the very same situation!! No matter what the subject, I am always the catalyst for what is wrong, or the root of the issue.

My wife called me today to discuss something that was insulting to me. I kept quiet and just let her speak. She called me back an hour later to discuss it again. When I calmly expressed my view on the matter, she lashed out at me shredding my character, and personality. She brought up things that didn't even have to do with the conversation!

I didn't want to be verbally insulted any longer, so I just apologized for upsetting her, held my tongue, and politely ended the conversation. I don't want to talk to her for as long as I can hold out for. I am tired of the fighting and everything somehow ending up to be my fault.
The more you let it go that way, the worse she will get. If no one opposes her, she might not get how bad she's being. And then, she might also feel your passivity and get more irritated by it. Apologizing just for the sake of ending discussions and not really meaning it is a really bad thing. It's a mature thing to know how to compromise, but it's not very courageous if it's just for the sake of ending discussions and then not telling your partner about how you really feel.
lilith23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
heavensangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: WNC
Posts: 450
Default Re: how do i stop the fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mInLoveWithMyHubby View Post
Don't ever raise your voice. Keep talking to her in a calm way. Hopefully after a while, she'll calm down too. I don't know though, some people like to yell and argue all the time! There are some people who have anger issue and need help redirecting their anger instead of taking it out on their spouse or children.

In the last 13 years I've heard my husband yell once. It wasn't at me, but a kid that ran over our daughter with a motorized scooter after he was told not to come near us.

My husband and I do not fight. We've argued maybe twice in our entire marriage. Only because he was stressed to the max and things were changing at work. My husband is always patient and calm. This has really helped me become a more patient and calm person as well.

My ex h was a different story. He and I fought everyday. However, this was different. He was always putting me down calling me names and telling me how worthless I was. I always stood up for myself and never believed him. It was to the point where he was verbally abusive.

I'm like you, I hate fighting. My husband and I talk through everything and can easily compromise. He was raised in a calm environment. I was not. I grew up at my mother always yelling and screaming. I hated it and I never wanted to follow her example.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to live a more peaceful way of living.


Wow! I could have been the one writing this! Except for the part where she always stood up for herself in her 1st marriage. I did not do this until the last 3+ years - it took me really seeing what the turmoil was doing to my sons to finally take a stand.

Anyhow.... Staying calm in the fight/argument is key. That's the one way you'll be able to control it from your end. The calmer you appear, the calmer she may get (notice I said 'may'). My H has this gift, nothing seems to rile him. Most of the time, him doing this calms me and the interaction goes a lot smoother. You get a lot more accomplished when civil.

Stop engaging her. One of the things H says to me when I get over the top: 'I'm not talking to you while you're like this as I don't deserve to be treated this way!' You know what? This usually works! It makes me take a moment to consider my actions....and I take it down a notch. She will do this as well, IF she really wants to get anything resolved.
__________________
Courage: is not having the strength to go on……..It is going on when you don’t have the strength
heavensangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would u stop fighting for your marriage if husband not sure of feelings? kathr1322 General Relationship Discussion 20 08-22-2012 02:03 PM
Fighting *Amber* General Relationship Discussion 7 10-11-2011 06:18 PM
isn't the fighting suppose to stop once you're divorced? wonder General Relationship Discussion 1 11-01-2010 01:13 PM
Stop The Fighting Tired worried in conflict Considering Divorce or Separation 2 09-20-2010 11:29 AM
Son's Fighting tater03 The Family & Parenting Forums 8 04-01-2008 07:19 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage