Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Talk About Family, Marriage and Relationships »The Men's Clubhouse » Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

The Men's Clubhouse Talk about life's dilemmas.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
Default Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

My husband has tried relentlessly to watch horror movies with him. He LOVES them. He will watch any one and any time.

Personally, I do not like them at all. My parents kept me very sheltered as a child and once when I was about 6 a babysitter let me watch Nightmare on Elm Street and I was traumatized. Ever since then I have been turned off to the genre.

It makes me feel badly however because he gets into the things I like, even when I don't ask him. He'll sit and watch Glee with me and ask questions about it. It makes me feel guilty for not watching scary movies with him but I know even at 30 they will give me nightmares.

I've tried to compensate by learning about football and asking questions regarding other things he likes, but it always comes back to watching scary movies with him.

What should I do? Just suck it up and watch them? I feel like the fact that I am so terrified of them strengthens his resolve to get me to watch them!
themrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Halien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Earth that Was
Posts: 2,594
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

For me, its not important that she share an interest in the types of movies I like, or music, etc. I think its more important in the things that tend to define us. For instance, when I need to move, I enjoy buying older homes and fixing them up myself. We usually stick to homes where we can focus on an exciting project, like turning a plain entry into one with spiral stairs. My wife has found great ways to contribute to this hobby, and it becomes a way for us to do things together. I'll build furniture, cabinets, she does the wood finishing. On her side, she enjoys gardening in the flower gardens, so I build the retaining walls, take care of the mulch, etc. In entertainment, we have differents interests and respect for those is all we ask of each other. She hates scary movies, but my adult children and I love them. I would definately prefer her to avoid them, though. The last time she tried, her screaming during a nightmare almost gave me a heart attack.
Halien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halien View Post
For me, its not important that she share an interest in the types of movies I like, or music, etc. I think its more important in the things that tend to define us. For instance, when I need to move, I enjoy buying older homes and fixing them up myself. We usually stick to homes where we can focus on an exciting project, like turning a plain entry into one with spiral stairs. My wife has found great ways to contribute to this hobby, and it becomes a way for us to do things together. I'll build furniture, cabinets, she does the wood finishing. On her side, she enjoys gardening in the flower gardens, so I build the retaining walls, take care of the mulch, etc. In entertainment, we have differents interests and respect for those is all we ask of each other. She hates scary movies, but my adult children and I love them. I would definately prefer her to avoid them, though. The last time she tried, her screaming during a nightmare almost gave me a heart attack.
LOL! I am like your wife.

I think it's great you guys fix up old houses. I also prefer old houses to newer ones. They have way more character.

My husband and I also have that in common. We both love Victorian style houses and it's our dream to renovate one someday.
themrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NV
Posts: 522
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

themrs - it is very sweet of your husband to watch Glee with you (I do the same with my wife and actually enjoy it sometimes!) but I don't think you are wrong not to want to watch horror movies with him - as long as he knows he is free to enjoy them on his own with no hard feelings from you. I think it's normal and healthy to like some of the same things and then have your own things that you like separately.

My problem is my wife chides me unfairly for some things I do like. I am a huge fan of the band phish - meaning I've seen them about 25 times, have lots of their music on my hard drive and as someone who plays the piano they are THE number one inspiration for playing music the way I do.

My wife is fully aware of this, but is always belittling me basically for lsomething that has been a part of my life since I was 18. It is quite tiresome and pisses me off. There is a fine line between teasing me for being such a geek, and acting scornful as if I am stupid or bad for liking them.

I never asked her to like them - but she should understand that they mean a great deal to me and leave it at that. I am not running off to go on tour with them like I was able to ten years ago, and I don't rub it in her face anymore. I've more than demonstrated that my priorities are in line, and that's the most important thing... right?
nader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Wrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 156
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

I think if it's something that affects the family finances like golf, drag racing, fishing, 4X4ing, then it's important because he doesn't want to feel bad for spending so much time and money on it.

But watching movies at home isn't really a hobby so I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. If he wants to go to a theatre or film festival then you should support him and go.

Maybe he wants you to be scared so he can protect you
Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,573
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Watching the news upsets me so no I won't be watching any horror films anytime soon regardless of how much he likes it.

I'd find something else to share other than this.
magnoliagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nader View Post
themrs - it is very sweet of your husband to watch Glee with you (I do the same with my wife and actually enjoy it sometimes!) but I don't think you are wrong not to want to watch horror movies with him - as long as he knows he is free to enjoy them on his own with no hard feelings from you. I think it's normal and healthy to like some of the same things and then have your own things that you like separately.

My problem is my wife chides me unfairly for some things I do like. I am a huge fan of the band phish - meaning I've seen them about 25 times, have lots of their music on my hard drive and as someone who plays the piano they are THE number one inspiration for playing music the way I do.

My wife is fully aware of this, but is always belittling me basically for lsomething that has been a part of my life since I was 18. It is quite tiresome and pisses me off. There is a fine line between teasing me for being such a geek, and acting scornful as if I am stupid or bad for liking them.

I never asked her to like them - but she should understand that they mean a great deal to me and leave it at that. I am not running off to go on tour with them like I was able to ten years ago, and I don't rub it in her face anymore. I've more than demonstrated that my priorities are in line, and that's the most important thing... right?
I actually ENCOURAGE him to watch them without me. I've sent him to the movies with his mom or whomever else wanted to see them with him. I tell him to have a great time! I'm fine with him having outside interests.
themrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoliagal View Post
Watching the news upsets me so no I won't be watching any horror films anytime soon regardless of how much he likes it.

I'd find something else to share other than this.
I haven't watched the news since the 2008 election. Too much bad and not enough good. It really effects my mood.
themrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
MGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US
Posts: 386
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrs View Post
I haven't watched the news since the 2008 election. Too much bad and not enough good. It really effects my mood.
Same here. Haven't turned on anything but Sesame Street for 3 years now It's sure helped my stress levels drop!
__________________
Women are made to be loved, not understood. - Oscar Wilde
MGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,461
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

For men, having a woman share our interests is a deep emotional need.

If you want an example - stop many people riding motorcycles and ask them if the woman on back is their wife.

My experience is that's an activity when dating.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,724
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
For men, having a woman share our interests is a deep emotional need.

If you want an example - stop many people riding motorcycles and ask them if the woman on back is their wife.

My experience is that's an activity when dating.
Too true. Mine came out with me but she fell asleep on the back!
AFEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 675
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFEH View Post
Too true. Mine came out with me but she fell asleep on the back!
LOL! That is so sweet.

Conrad, I understand your point and I feel like he needs me to make the effort in doing this one thing that he enjoys.

I guess I could take the approach of needing him to "protect" me by putting his arm around me while we watch the movie.
themrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,461
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrs View Post
LOL! That is so sweet.

Conrad, I understand your point and I feel like he needs me to make the effort in doing this one thing that he enjoys.

I guess I could take the approach of needing him to "protect" me by putting his arm around me while we watch the movie.
I am certain that will work for him.

Good luck to you.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,930
Default Re: Is it important to a man for his wife to be interested in the things he likes?

Normally, I'd say that it's good for a spouse to share the interests of the other spouse. But in a case where that interest gives the one spouse nightmares, I'd say the other one is on their own. Watch movies together if you like, but you shouldn't feel obligated to watch something that disturbs you.

My stbx-wife enjoyed horror movies as well, and I prefer not to watch them. They weren't a super high priority for her, or anything. But rather than me watching with her, I encouraged her to get out with a friend or relative who shared that interest. If that makes me a bad husband, so be it.

On the other hand... I took up running, and started doing races. For my first big one, I trained almost 300 hours and 2600 kilometres over the period of 8 months. And did she attend even one of my races, even when the kids asked to come and I could tell her within 15 minutes of when she needed to be at the finish line? Nope, not once in 15 races... I recognize it may be hypocritical of me, but that generated some resentment (on my side).

C
PBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My wife asked me for a list of things she likes... MrPink General Relationship Discussion 25 05-30-2012 08:05 AM
Important things to discuss BEFORE getting married tobio General Relationship Discussion 13 12-16-2011 11:00 AM
How to get ur husband to talk about things that are important even if its only sex Sexless The Ladies' Lounge 8 06-09-2011 01:22 PM
So my wife likes girls! blacksage Going Through Divorce or Separation 3 02-05-2010 08:50 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage