Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil? - Page 4
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Off Topic »Politics and Religion » Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

Like Tree74Likes

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #46 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,455
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Come on, people. Gay people are hated, belittled, bullied in school, and even killed for being gay. Look up Larry King and Matthew Shepard - they were teens who were murdered in America for being gay. Gay and lesbian teens are two to three times as more likely to commit teen suicide than other youths. About 30 percent of all completed suicides have been related to sexual identity crisis. You think a child WANTS to be gay? You think he or she decides that they want to be different to the point they can't do most of the normal things their peers do like date, go to prom, even talk about boys/girls who are cute or they are interested in. They can't do any of that safely. They can't do so many things because of how others will treat them. They either hide or they are or face the consequences by owning their truth.

Being gay is no more a choice than the color of your skin. Don't believe me? Tell me, when did you make the choice of your sexual orientation? Better yet, if someone told you that you had to be sexually attracted to your own gender, could you do it? Could you find the strength inside yourself to suppress how you feel because others tell you not to feel that way.

When gays stop being second class citizens, this issue will go away.
You haven't read the recent revelations about Matthew Shepard?
Conrad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
BeachGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 735
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoto1984 View Post
Once upon a time there was a group called the Dixie Chicks. They dared to speak there mind on a hot political topic and were banned from many radio stations for it. People actually had parties to destroy there music. Around the same time an actor named Tim Robins dared to speak his mind and he was black balled from acting. Michael Moore dared to speak his mind at an Oscar Award Show and he was booed off the stage by all those Hollywood lefties.

If we're concerned about free speech does it apply to everyone or only people we agree with?
Those people used their fame and celebrity status to push their political opinions. They certainly new there'd be backlash. They're all grown-ups. They had free speech and so did the people who didn't like what they said. What's the problem?

Personally I can't stand it when an actor or actress I like opens their big fat mouth to go political. They seem to get lost in their own little world and think that because they are good at acting, then everyone will fall to their knees and bow in front of them when they make a political statement. Both sides.
BeachGuy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
SurpriseMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 972
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
You haven't read the recent revelations about Matthew Shepard?
Pray tell, what "recent revelations?" How hard do you plan to slap his mother for not just losing her son, but for falsely becoming an advocate for gay rights. Please, go ahead.
SurpriseMyself is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #49 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Harken Banks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,199
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Just another case of intolerance masquerading as tolerance. I have not seen the show, but I read the quotes from the interview. Manufactured drama. What did anyone expect him to say? And the term "homophobia?" What is that about? Another manipulation of language. I didn't read anything in how he was quoted as homophobic, which I understand to mean afraid of people who are gay or of same-sex sex. The guy admits he does not understand the appeal of man on man sex and that it is his religious conviction that gay sex is among other sinful activities. Maybe a limited perspective and a bit of religion I do not have, but homophobia? Manipulation of language and debate in that way is part of the same. It is the opposite of liberalism.
Harken Banks is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,455
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Pray tell, what "recent revelations?" How hard do you plan to slap his mother for not just losing her son, but for falsely becoming an advocate for gay rights. Please, go ahead.
Matthew Shepard Murdered By Bisexual Lover And Drug Dealer, Stephen Jimenez Claims In New Book

The "homophobia" on this one was just more urban mythology.
Conrad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #51 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Harken Banks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,199
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Come on, people. Gay people are hated, belittled, bullied in school, and even killed for being gay. Look up Larry King and Matthew Shepard - they were teens who were murdered in America for being gay. Gay and lesbian teens are two to three times as more likely to commit teen suicide than other youths. About 30 percent of all completed suicides have been related to sexual identity crisis. You think a child WANTS to be gay? You think he or she decides that they want to be different to the point they can't do most of the normal things their peers do like date, go to prom, even talk about boys/girls who are cute or they are interested in. They can't do any of that safely. They can't do so many things because of how others will treat them. They either hide who they are or face the consequences by owning their truth.

Being gay is no more a choice than the color of your skin. Don't believe me? Tell me, when did you make the choice of your sexual orientation? Better yet, if someone told you that you had to be sexually attracted to your own gender, could you do it? Could you find the strength inside yourself to suppress how you feel because others tell you not to feel that way.

When gays stop being second class citizens, this issue will go away.
Gays are second class citizens? Where do you live? That just does not seem to be the case to me. I don't intend any offense and I think pretty much everyone is gay, has a family member who is gay, good friends who are gay, colleagues and acquaintances who are gay, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, the UPS guy, or whatever. And not everyone who is gay thinks GLAAD and A&E are in the right here. Camille Paglia for instance.
Harken Banks is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #52 (permalink)
Member
 
SurpriseMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 972
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harken Banks View Post
Just another case of intolerance masquerading as tolerance. I have not seen the show, but I read the quotes from the interview. Manufactured drama. What did anyone expect him to say? And the term "homophobia?" What is that about? Another manipulation of language. I didn't read anything in how he was quoted as homophobic, which I understand to mean afraid of people who are gay or of same-sex sex. The guy admits he does not understand the appeal of man on man sex and that it is his religious conviction that gay sex is among other sinful activities. Maybe a limited perspective and a bit of religion I do not have, but homophobia? Manipulation of language and debate in that way is part of the same. It is the opposite of liberalism.
If you want to talk about the manipulation of language, let's consider the idea that Phil is just a "good, God-fearing" Christian. Um, no he's not. If you are "God-fearing" then you should fear that your actions are not favorable to God and you fear God's wrath. So many people use the term "God-fearing" to talk about the sins of others. Why was he talking about homosexuality at all, if not to judge others for what he perceives as sin. What are his sins?

People who judge are judged. They try to remove the speck from another's eye while the plank remains in their own. And they do it in the name of God. Ugly.

Last edited by SurpriseMyself; 12-24-2013 at 11:34 AM.
SurpriseMyself is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Member
 
SurpriseMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 972
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harken Banks View Post
Gays are second class citizens? Where do you live? That just does not seem to be the case to me. I don't intend any offense and I think pretty much everyone is gay, has a family member who is gay, good friends who are gay, colleagues and acquaintances who are gay, fraternity brothers, sorority sisters, the UPS guy, or whatever. And not everyone who is gay thinks GLAAD and A&E are in the right here. Camille Paglia for instance.
Do people think twice about having gay people as friends? I know people who won't let their own child in their home because their child is gay and they are Christian. I live in the south.
SurpriseMyself is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #54 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Harken Banks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,199
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
If you want to talk about the manipulation of language, let's consider the idea that Phil is just a "good, God-fearing" Christian. Um, no he's not. If you are "God-fearing" then you should fear that your actions are not favorable to God and you fear God's wrath. So many people use the term "God-fearing" to talk about the sins of others. Why was he talking about homosexuality at all, if not to judge others for what he perceives as sin. What are his sins?

People who judge are judged. They try to remove the speck from another's eye while the plank remains in their own. And they do it in the name of God. Ugly.
I admit that I did not follow that. I don't think the guy suggested that he was without sin or that he held any animosity toward anyone who was gay.

Here, other people can say this better than me:

The New Blacklist | National Review Online

Camille Paglia: Duck Dynasty suspension 'utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist' - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
Harken Banks is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #55 (permalink)
Member
 
southbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,923
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
Those people used their fame and celebrity status to push their political opinions. They certainly new there'd be backlash. They're all grown-ups. They had free speech and so did the people who didn't like what they said. What's the problem?
My problem is, with the Dixie Chicks for example, that adults acted like they were in pre-school in reaction to it. They were out burning and breaking CDs because she said she this:

"Just so you know, we're on the good side with y'all. We do not want this war, this violence, and we're ashamed that the President of the United States is from Texas.

Gee, don't I wish I had pictures of my parents out breaking CDs after they became an adult so we could share such precious memories over such an important cause.

That's my thing with all this, why the big reaction? I don't think I would act that way about anything, but one would think that kind of behavior would be reserved for much more serious issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Why was he talking about homosexuality at all, if not to judge others for what he perceives as sin. What are his sins?
Wasn't he talking about it because he was "asked" in an interview what he thought was sin?
southbound is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #56 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southern Louisiana
Posts: 560
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Being somewhat a Louisiana redneck, I think it's odd that people are truly surprised at Robertson's stances. A&E I think had tried to go out of their way to portray these guys as just harmless rednecks, but I think it's disingenuous now to act all horrified that, no, these guys are like most other fundamentalist Christians.

As an atheist I certainly don't agree with Robertson's stances. What irks me more than anything else though is this belief that because something was written in a 2000 year old book of middle eastern parables related to middle eastern culture that it is somehow a valid and rational stance today.
Davelli0331 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #57 (permalink)
Member
 
SurpriseMyself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 972
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harken Banks View Post
I admit that I did not follow that. I don't think the guy suggested that he was without sin or that he held any animosity toward anyone who was gay.

Here, other people can say this better than me:

The New Blacklist | National Review Online

Camille Paglia: Duck Dynasty suspension 'utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist' - National Policy & Issues | Examiner.com
Calling a decision fascist and akin to Stalin is exactly the kind of the over the top speech that takes us nowhere. For Ms. Paglia to say that A&E trampled on Phil's civil rights is ridiculous. A&E is not congress. Phil was being interviewed because he is on a show that is shown on A&E. That is the nature of reality TV. If Phil was just making duck calls and said what he said, hey, free country. But he said what he did as a reality TV star in the public eye.

And I'll say it again, he had no reason to be talking about homosexuality in the first place. There's nothing like that on the show, but here we are talking about it. He brought this on himself.
SurpriseMyself is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Harken Banks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,199
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Calling a decision fascist and akin to Stalin is exactly the kind of the over the top speech that takes us nowhere. For Ms. Paglia to say that A&E trampled on Phil's civil rights is ridiculous. A&E is not congress. Phil was being interviewed because he is on a show that is shown on A&E. That is the nature of reality TV. If Phil was just making duck calls and said what he said, hey, free country. But he said what he did as a reality TV star in the public eye.

And I'll say it again, he had no reason to be talking about homosexuality in the first place. There's nothing like that on the show, but here we are talking about it. He brought this on himself.
You missed the part where he was asked what he thought?
Harken Banks is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 19,455
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Wasn't he talking about it because he was "asked" in an interview what he thought was sin?
He answered their question.

I thought that was how interviews were conducted.
Conrad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #60 (permalink)
Forum Supporter
 
Harken Banks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,199
Default Re: Duck Dynasty fans...do you support Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebp123 View Post
Calling a decision fascist and akin to Stalin is exactly the kind of the over the top speech that takes us nowhere. For Ms. Paglia to say that A&E trampled on Phil's civil rights is ridiculous. A&E is not congress. Phil was being interviewed because he is on a show that is shown on A&E. That is the nature of reality TV. If Phil was just making duck calls and said what he said, hey, free country. But he said what he did as a reality TV star in the public eye.

And I'll say it again, he had no reason to be talking about homosexuality in the first place. There's nothing like that on the show, but here we are talking about it. He brought this on himself.

Also, I missed where she spoke about his civil rights being trampled on. I think you are arguing against something that is not present and missing the point, willfully or otherwise.
Harken Banks is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religion and Duck Dynasty southbound Politics and Religion 149 01-02-2014 07:40 PM
Walking Like a Duck Conrad Politics and Religion 15 10-09-2013 07:42 AM
If it looks, quacks, and walks like a duck . . . IT IS A DUCK! HurtinginTN Coping with Infidelity 1 03-23-2011 10:44 AM
Hi my name is Phil philbilly The Social Spot 22 10-20-2008 08:37 AM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.