Again and again and again... - Page 3 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 301Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 584
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguesclin View Post
If citizens carry guns, how do the police make the difference between good guys and bad guys? In a highly confused situation like that one, no one has any clues to how many terrorists there are. We know now that there was only one, but there could have easily been several.

French culture does not accept armed citizens with minimal background checks and minimal weapons training. This is a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that anyone shooting at the truck that is mowing people down would probably be a good guy.

zookeeper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 31,440
Re: Again and again and again...

Below is a link to a list of Islamic terrorist attacks in 2016. Note that the site says that this is not a complete list, they do not catch all terrorist attacks. And not all of them are immediately posted.

So far, in 2016, there have been 1,268 Islamic terrorist attacks in 50 countries. 11,664 people have been killed and 14,087 injured.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/terror-2016.htm
EleGirl is online now  
post #33 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Catherine602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 6,362
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
I'm not going to shamed for what I posted. Every single thread about a terrorist attack in the USA almost immediately has posts saying that the only reason it happened in the USA is because we allow people to own guns.

Those threads almost immegately take a left turn from the topic of concern and sympathy for the victims. After all why waste a tragedy right?

My point is a very important one. We do still have free speech.
Why are you "shamed" by the simple opinion offered by one member of our community?

Is it possible to be an advocate of free speech and at the same admonish a poster for speaking freely? Maybe.

What @Haiku said has some merit, though. It was a request to respect the magnitude of the crimes committed upon the French people.

Your post could easily be seen as making light of a horrible event. It might have been more moderating to acknowledge his sadness and commiserate with this member of our community.

In the spirit of free speech, let me ask you this: are you saying that these people got what they deserved because they were not armed to the teeth?

My magic wand would remove shame from sexuality for all! Anon Pink

Last edited by Catherine602; 07-15-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Catherine602 is offline  
 
post #34 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
It sure is a good thing that France has strict gun laws. At least that way they can ensure that there are no mass murders… oh, wait… (*scratches head*)
Because our nation with it's lax gun laws was able to keep 49 people from dying in a bar in Orlando last month? Or 168 in Oklahoma City? Or 3000 on 9-11?
Cletus is offline  
post #35 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 2,650
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
Because our nation with it's lax gun laws was able to keep 49 people from dying in a bar in Orlando last month? Or 168 in Oklahoma City? Or 3000 on 9-11?
Because if gun ownership can't stop them all, then we should get rid of gun ownership. This is the same logic as saying "Police didn't stop 9/11 or OKC or Orlando, so we should get rid of Police." I'd suggest some introductory logic to assist in your poorly thought-out rhetoric.

Now, let's get to the real question: "When Will the West Pass Common Sense Automobile Ownership Reform?

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #36 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,671
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Because if gun ownership can't stop them all, then we should get rid of gun ownership. This is the same logic as saying "Police didn't stop 9/11 or OKC or Orlando, so we should get rid of Police." I'd suggest some introductory logic to assist in your poorly thought-out rhetoric.

Now, let's get to the real question: "When Will the West Pass Common Sense Automobile Ownership Reform?
Just truck control. I'd love to hear the arguments against it by those who have stated that the weapon is the problem.

On an entirely unrelated tack, why do guns and especially handguns and military styled rifles never get the credit for ending terrorist attacks and mass murders? With the exception of a bomb used by the Dallas police to kill the BLM racist murderer, these attacks only end when a gun is used against the perps, or, the perps experience an equipment malfunction. Why do guns get all the blame and none of the credit?
Thor is offline  
post #37 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 AM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Because if gun ownership can't stop them all, then we should get rid of gun ownership. This is the same logic as saying "Police didn't stop 9/11 or OKC or Orlando, so we should get rid of Police." I'd suggest some introductory logic to assist in your poorly thought-out rhetoric.

Now, let's get to the real question: "When Will the West Pass Common Sense Automobile Ownership Reform?
You're attacking a straw man of your own making. The poorly thought out rhetoric was that to which I was responding.

I am not taking any position on gun control in this argument other than to point out that statements "blaming" French terrorism victims as a product of their gun control legislation rings particularly hollow in light of our own inability to stop the same kinds of events.
Cletus is offline  
post #38 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 2,650
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
You're attacking a straw man of your own making. The poorly thought out rhetoric was that to which I was responding.

I am not taking any position on gun control in this argument other than to point out that statements "blaming" French terrorism victims as a product of their gun control legislation rings particularly hollow in light of our own inability to stop the same kinds of events.
Wasn't a Strawman. You take a position on the gun debate.

lax
laks
adjective
1.
not sufficiently strict, severe, or careful.

Quote:
Because our nation with it's lax gun laws was able to keep 49 people from dying in a bar in Orlando last month? Or 168 in Oklahoma City? Or 3000 on 9-11?
Perhaps you would benefit from an English class on top of your Intro to Logic. I'd be glad to suggest some books for you.

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #39 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Wasn't a Strawman. You take a position on the gun debate.

lax
laks
adjective
1.
not sufficiently strict, severe, or careful.



Perhaps you would benefit from an English class on top of your Intro to Logic. I'd be glad to suggest some books for you.
Enjoying a Venti cup of condescension this morning, I see.

Buzz off. I've got a long list of far better people lined up to insult me.

But I do like your pot-shots at my grammar. 'Cause I've been accused of so much illiteracy in my life that it's grown old by now. When comparing the restrictions on personal gun ownership in France to the US, the term "lax" is a perfectly appropriate term.

Last edited by Cletus; 07-15-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Cletus is offline  
post #40 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 2,650
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
Enjoying a Venti cup of condescension this morning, I see.

Buzz off. I've got a long list of far better people lined up to insult me.

But I do like your pot-shots at my grammar. 'Cause I've been accused of so much illiteracy in my life that it's grown old by now.
It's called sarcasm. The purpose of which is to show how dishonest you were being. I assume you have a basic understanding of logic, and that you can read and wright. And I assume you mean what you say when you use the words you use. If you meant to use a different word, feel free to make your case for how you meant something different.

You think you can take pot-shots at people's freedoms, and their defense of it; and whenever someone calls you on it, you try to feign innocent impartiality, which is far from reality. You are being disingenuous, because you don't even have the courage to argue directly. That is because your arguments have no merit, and you know they will not stand scrutiny.

Feel free to engage anytime though. I'd be glad to educate you on your mistaken beliefs. I'll consider it my good deed for the day.


Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #41 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Feel free to engage anytime though. I'd be glad to educate you on your mistaken beliefs. I'll consider it my good deed for the day.
You get a like. It takes a remarkably large pair to pull off that level of smugness.

By all means, continue to argue with whatever characterization of me you like. I'll be watching in rapt attention to find out exactly what I believe next.
Cletus is offline  
post #42 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,385
Re: Again and again and again...

.

Last edited by notmyrealname4; 07-20-2016 at 03:36 PM.
notmyrealname4 is offline  
post #43 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,671
Re: Again and again and again...

It is always so hard to figure out the motives in these things. The reports of him yelling Islamic phrases probably mean nothing. In other attacks since 9-11 there have been such confusing facts as jihadi information found on the dead killer's computer or trips to training camps in taliban or isis controlled areas. Membership at known activist anti-western mosques is also difficult to decode when figuring out motives.

The media and government certainly have no bias or agenda in filtering what to report or how to present it to the public.

/sarcasm
Thor is offline  
post #44 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,222
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 View Post
Start at the "top"... Wherever that may be. I know it's the George W Bush approach but eventually it will work
Do you mean start killing terrorists at the top, like ISIS leaders?
WorkingWife is online now  
post #45 of 362 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,222
Re: Again and again and again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
Im not sure if this is true, but last night I read that the driver of the truck had things like assault rifles, hand grenades, and perhaps bombs in the truck.
Yeah, I don't if anyone could react fast enough to stop anything while he was mowing down people with the truck. But I also heard he had guns and grenades (also suggested in the "Inspire" terrorist magazine article) and when the driving rampage stopped he either did or tried to fire into the crowd.

Of course, even in TX and LA where they have a lot of gun owners, I doubt people are walking along the beach with a gun.
WorkingWife is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome