Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 155Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 02:03 AM
Forum Supporter
 
arbitrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Texas/Brazos Valley
Posts: 11,692
Cool Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
But even our news casters have been doing this. Our current president has been doing it. Soros too.
But I would have to guess that I'm safe in assuming that absolutely no one from either the GOP or Faux News has done this though? Maybe even our President-Elect?
Posted via Mobile Device


"To love another person is to see the face of God!" - Jean Valjean from Les Miserables

My Story!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
arbitrator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,455
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Lib Student Requests Time to Get Over Election, Professor Gives PERFECT 7 Word Response...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brat.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	49609  

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
Cosmos is offline  
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 03:11 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,519
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Yep.

Always remember the LD motto: "Sex isn't important!!!"
tech-novelist is offline  
 
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,455
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

SNL Finally Scores! Fake Ad Offering Libs Their Own "Bubble" to Live In Is One for the Ages...

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
Cosmos is offline  
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Member
 
VermisciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,984
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
USA Today is a proper fact source ?!

No, I got the facts I presented from public financial and court records.

BTW, I did not vote for Trump or Clinton.
The quality of the reporting is the key. The publisher, USAToday, does maintain journalistic standards.

The four reporters listed in the byline did wade through court records to produce the article. Did you read it or dismiss it out of hand due to partisan bias? How many hundreds of hours did you put in to your research? Which of their reported facts are incorrect? If you did thorough research as you claim you should be able to call them out and get them fired for lying. It's a serious crime in the journalism business.

More likely I think you are blowing smoke. It's SOP for publishers of fake news. They create the impression of some kind of equivalence between their fake stories and real reporting by claiming bias, but I've never actually heard of one of these 'biased' professional news sources being caught in an outright lie over any Trump stories. That would be proof of bad reporting.

On the other hand, fake news has been proven wrong over and over again, but there are no repercussions because there are no journalistic standards for them.
VermisciousKnid is online now  
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Red Sonja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 766
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermisciousKnid View Post
More likely I think you are blowing smoke. It's SOP for publishers of fake news. They create the impression of some kind of equivalence between their fake stories and real reporting by claiming bias, but I've never actually heard of one of these 'biased' professional news sources being caught in an outright lie over any Trump stories. That would be proof of bad reporting.

On the other hand, fake news has been proven wrong over and over again, but there are no repercussions because there are no journalistic standards for them.
Professional news sources are famous for the following:

1. Digging up acquaintances from a person’s past and then reporting fragmented quotes from them as “news” … sorry but that is gossip in my book.
2. Reporting only “bad” or seemingly “sensational” items without comment on what it means in full context.
3. Mr. or Ms. X voted against bill Y, therefore s/he is racist, hates children, doesn’t care about the poor, etc.
4. Mr. or Ms. X pronounced a word incorrectly in a speech, therefore s/he is stupid.

The above are just a few examples of the crap news reported during any political campaign. The same level of crap-reporting that happens every day of the year. All may not be “outright lies” however it is all outright manipulation towards a specific purpose and is therefore unprofessional and unethical.

I am stepping out of this argument because the personal attacks have already started (see above) and that never ends well and is pointless.
Red Sonja is offline  
post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 19,518
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Have you ever seen a newspaper or media story of which you have intimate knowledge?

And did you notice just how flat out WRONG the story was?

Wrong names, facts either wrong or apparently made up?

People interviewed and the quotes rendered utterly meaningless due to a lazy journalist or because they did not fit the predetermined narrative that the newspaper or broadcaster had already set out?

Next time you read a story or see a news broadcast remember the chances are that people who know the facts of the story are like you and the story you know about. They are saying: "But x is not a racist! Didn't support the KKK, steal the funds, etc."

I think I need a safe space.

PS I had news stories of mine gutted and rewritten to make them more "sexy" by an evening paper I used to work for, totally changing the meaning of the story.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!

Last edited by MattMatt; 12-01-2016 at 05:24 AM.
MattMatt is online now  
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:38 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Haiku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 3,554
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM2020 View Post
Has the PE self identified as a racist/sexist fascist who claims to not understand all the conflicts of interest between his business and governmental responsibilities? YES
Was a source for this ever provided?

.........><)))#">
Haiku is offline  
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Member
 
VermisciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,984
Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
Professional news sources are famous for the following:

1.Digging up acquaintances from a person’s past and then reporting fragmented quotes from them as “news” … sorry but that is gossip in my book.
2.Reporting only “bad” or seemingly “sensational” items without comment on what it means in full context.
3.Mr. or Ms. X voted against bill Y, therefore s/he is racist, hates children, doesn’t care about the poor, etc.
4.Mr. or Ms. X pronounced a word incorrectly in a speech, therefore s/he is stupid.

The above are just a few examples of the crap news reported during any political campaign. The same level of crap-reporting that happens every day of the year. All may not be “outright lies” however it is all outright manipulation towards a specific purpose and is therefore unprofessional and unethical.

I am stepping out of this argument because the personal attacks have already started (see above) and that never ends well and is pointless.
Sure there's crap reporting but how do you identify it? There are people who decide what is crap and what is good based on whether it produces a result they like. So they would call the best reporting crap if they hated the result and worst reporting great if they liked the result.

That's the essence of the problem. In a polarized climate objectivity becomes secondary.

On your points I can see both sides. People change so events from their past might not be relevant. Quotes are gossip if only one person says them but if every person recounts the same facts then it isn't gossip anymore. There's just as much omission of context on the left as the right. More context is always better. On the last point, left and right are guilty. Ability with words doesn't make someone a better leader. Both sides criticize unfairly based on simple slips of the tongue.

Last edited by VermisciousKnid; 12-01-2016 at 07:08 AM.
VermisciousKnid is online now  
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 19,518
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

But there have been times when multiple quotes from apparently different sources actually turned it to be the same single source being regurgitated again and again.

The Twitter echo chamber effect is a good example of this.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Member
 
VermisciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,984
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
But there have been times when multiple quotes from apparently different sources actually turned it to be the same single source being regurgitated again and again.

The Twitter echo chamber effect is a good example of this.
Personally, I don't give any weight to Twitter. I prefer to read outlets that have long and thorough reporting with facts, dates and sources clearly identified. One page reports are certainly just regurgitated summaries made from other sources.

The major newspapers and networks have the most staff and resources to cover a story. They also have the most stringent code of conduct for reporting so that the highest journalistic standards are maintained. That means confirming information with multiple sources, proper attribution of quotes, etc. Also publishing corrections and retractions when necessary and firing reporters who violate standards.

Now that everyone can be in the "news business" with no investment, that's all out the window. There's no incentive to have standards. There's no risk to reputation when standards don't exist.
VermisciousKnid is online now  
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 19,518
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermisciousKnid View Post
Personally, I don't give any weight to Twitter. I prefer to read outlets that have long and thorough reporting with facts, dates and sources clearly identified. One page reports are certainly just regurgitated summaries made from other sources.

The major newspapers and networks have the most staff and resources to cover a story. They also have the most stringent code of conduct for reporting so that the highest journalistic standards are maintained. That means confirming information with multiple sources, proper attribution of quotes, etc. Also publishing corrections and retractions when necessary and firing reporters who violate standards.

Now that everyone can be in the "news business" with no investment, that's all out the window. There's no incentive to have standards. There's no risk to reputation when standards don't exist.
These days a large proportion of what you read in any publication is not written by staff journalists at the publication.

They are Wire stories from press agencies which many publications pretend are written by their own staff.

They sometimes get a member of staff to add a few words of fluff so they can add: "Additional reporting by our staff reporter"

And the rest of the magazine or newspaper is filled with press releases.

This is true of motoring magazines, news magazines, craft magazines etc. They all do it having fired most of their own staff writers and cutting down on the use of freelance journalists too.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Member
 
VermisciousKnid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 1,984
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
These days a large proportion of what you read in any publication is not written by staff journalists at the publication.

They are Wire stories from press agencies which many publications pretend are written by their own staff.

They sometimes get a member of staff to add a few words of fluff so they can add: "Additional reporting by our staff reporter"

And the rest of the magazine or newspaper is filled with press releases.

This is true of motoring magazines, news magazines, craft magazines etc. They all do it having fired most of their own staff writers and cutting down on the use of freelance journalists too.
So how would you evaluate a news source in an objective way? Clearly some sources don't do their own reporting, some pick and choose from the facts in order to make a certain point, some mix editorializing with reporting. How do you evaluate?

The Dallas Morning News is conservative. It has endorsed every Republican candidate for president since 1950 or thereabouts. Trump is the first one they declined to endorse. Did their journalistic standards suddenly go out the window? Were they hoodwinked by purveyors of left wing news? It seems highly unlikely. More likely, they evaluated facts as they always do and reached the conclusion that Trump is unsatisfactory because they are an objective evaluator of the facts.
VermisciousKnid is online now  
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 19,518
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermisciousKnid View Post
So how would you evaluate a news source in an objective way? Clearly some sources don't do their own reporting, some pick and choose from the facts in order to make a certain point, some mix editorializing with reporting. How do you evaluate?

The Dallas Morning News is conservative. It has endorsed every Republican candidate for president since 1950 or thereabouts. Trump is the first one they declined to endorse. Did their journalistic standards suddenly go out the window? Were they hoodwinked by purveyors of left wing news? It seems highly unlikely. More likely, they evaluated facts as they always do and reached the conclusion that Trump is unsatisfactory because they are an objective evaluator of the facts.
I do not read that publication so can't comment.

But I do know why if you run a search on a phrase taken from one online publication that you will get multiple hits from dozens of other publications.

PA, Reuters and many other news agencies send these stories out and greedy publishers snap them up.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,034
Re: Safe Space for those who are hurting after Election Day

Trump’s election stole my desire to look for a partner

We dated for a few weeks before he admitted he wasn’t ready for something serious. Two days later, the other of those good dates called me out of the blue. We talked for a while, and I asked him to dinner. Things were falling into place. A feast was laid out on the table, and it looked delicious.

But two weeks later, the election happened. Once it was clear that Donald Trump would be president instead of Hillary Clinton, I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to gather my children in bed with me and cling to them like we would if thunder and lightning were raging outside, with winds high enough that they power might go out. The world felt that precarious to me.



becareful2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Post - Need help, *long Post* MrW General Relationship Discussion 92 10-12-2016 02:19 PM
I hate Valentines Day UMP The Ladies' Lounge 34 02-14-2016 12:09 PM
Need advice on Valentine's day restaurant in Chicago Sweetman General Relationship Discussion 3 02-09-2016 06:36 PM
Best Way To Start Each Day froggy7777 Relationships and Spirituality 11 02-07-2016 06:57 PM
Simple Date Ideas for Valentine’s Day VS Glen Home Page Feature News 0 02-05-2016 02:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome