Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ... - Page 4 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 98Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 245
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb02157 View Post
This is BS. If we make colleges bow to the needs of every imaginable group they become less a place of learning and more about appeasing everyone. When I went to school, this was never on anyone's mind. If you wanted the diploma, you busted your ass and hit the books and that was that, if they didn't meet every need, tough ****. You're not there to be entertained you're there to study.
I agree. It is not hard to fathom why kids from developing nations, particularly the students from Asia, who come to the US, UK etc to study do so much better than their local counterparts. Goal oriented focus.

While I'm a firm believer that religion belongs only in the confines of one's home and places of worship, the demand for classroom turned into a makeshift prayer room can be easily met provided the students agree to the fact that the room can be used by members of any faith or religion to pray. I would imagine that this wouldn't sit well many of the students which vindicates the oft expressed opinion that most new age liberals are indeed pseudo liberals.

Respectfully, I find the demand for acknowledging that the land belonged to a specific indigenous tribe or people to be somewhat odd. Colonialism was certainly bad. There's quite a lot of British history and in-turn American history that by today's standards would be considered deplorable behaviour from our forefathers. But I know that a lot of the American indigenous nations were expansionist in nature themselves meaning that the land belonged to some other tribe or nation before it was conquered. Would the tribe the land belonged to have to, therefore apologize for taking the land off another?

This concept of collective guilt and responsibility sets a dangerous precedent in my opinion.

weltschmerz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,016
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
Your link goes to no particular video.
Hmm works on my IPad. It was Ronald Reagan tearing into the leaders of Berkly for letting the students get out of hand.
Thound is online now  
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 AM
Member
 
MJJEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MI
Posts: 2,213
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Respectfully, I find the demand for acknowledging that the land belonged to a specific indigenous tribe or people to be somewhat odd. Colonialism was certainly bad. There's quite a lot of British history and in-turn American history that by today's standards would be considered deplorable behaviour from our forefathers. But I know that a lot of the American indigenous nations were expansionist in nature themselves meaning that the land belonged to some other tribe or nation before it was conquered. Would the tribe the land belonged to have to, therefore apologize for taking the land off another?

This concept of collective guilt and responsibility sets a dangerous precedent in my opinion.
Land belongs to whoever can hold it as long as they can hold it. Since time began, people have been warring against one another and the winner takes all. The conquered are ruled by their conquerors. The end. Natives conquered each other and then Europeans came and conquered the natives. It's the circle of life.

I hope nobody tells these kids they aren't special little snowflakes, life isn't fair, safety is an illusion, and not everybody deserves a trophy for merely showing up. They'd lose their minds.

Follow the evidence where it leads and question everything.
MJJEAN is online now  
 
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,368
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

It is common for countries to conquer each other but genocide is less common and I think there is some value in being clear that what happened during the European colonization of the Americas was terrible.

Some of the indigenous peoples, the Aztecs in particular were horrible, but the majority seemed pretty typical.


When I was growing up the colonization was presented as a *good* thing and this is probably a backlash.






Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJEAN View Post
Land belongs to whoever can hold it as long as they can hold it. Since time began, people have been warring against one another and the winner takes all. The conquered are ruled by their conquerors. The end. Natives conquered each other and then Europeans came and conquered the natives. It's the circle of life.

I hope nobody tells these kids they aren't special little snowflakes, life isn't fair, safety is an illusion, and not everybody deserves a trophy for merely showing up. They'd lose their minds.
uhtred is offline  
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Member
 
PhillyGuy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Not Philly
Posts: 2,791
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

They can come up to New York where soon they can protest on campus at no cost to them.

Governor Cuomo - been f--king up higher ed for 10 years now.

My story: After a night on the town with him, wife exchanged inappropriate texts with her former boss.

http://talkaboutmarriage.com/coping-...-she-road.html
PhillyGuy13 is offline  
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
EllisRedding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Valhalla (Or the Northeast USA)
Posts: 6,382
Re: Making College Campuses More Amenable To “marginalized student populations.” ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy13 View Post
They can come up to New York where soon they can protest on campus at no cost to them.

Governor Cuomo - been f--king up higher ed for 10 years now.
Still trying to figure the logic out of that one... I actually just read an article from the Washington Post stating that his plan only benefits the upper middle class. If they think that making $125k in NY makes you upper middle class, they really have no clue lol.
EllisRedding is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome