Trump is such a Tweet! - Page 3 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 218Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,689
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I hear what you are saying, in the general sense, and while I am not even a big fan of Hillary, her unfortunate comment was directed not at you or a general Trump/Republican/anti-Hillary voter. It was directed to the initial base, back when he was polling st 35% of republicans and he had his crowd of alt-righters and other over the top, race baiting and sexists that were grabbing headlines in the news. The shut that ***** up crowd and Obama is a money and the birthers. It became a rallying cry because it was a generic comment which is ridiculous because no politician should be insulting any of the voting public (though Trump can call his opponents idiots with no problem).

So, in concept, I believe that the racists and sexists and people who are like that are deplorable. It's unfortunate that many republicans have to align themselves with these people, but then they created a false narrative implying that she meant all Trump voters. Not that it matters anymore, but the wearing it as a badge is absurd to me.
The underlined is not true. She used the term in early September, about 2 months before the election.

She clearly meant anyone who support Trump, not only the small percentage who are alt-righters, racists, etc.


Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,887
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
The underlined is not true. She used the term in early September, about 2 months before the election.

She clearly meant anyone who support Trump, not only the small percentage who are alt-righters, racists, etc.
I don't care when it was actually said. Here is the quote...

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. "

There are Trump supports and Rrump voters. Hell, a huge number of republican never trumpers voted for him. She is clearly pointing at the base of Trump supporters and specifically, the ones who are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamaphobic. Now, if you claim you are one of those deplorable, you are saying you are one of those things she sidings a deplorable as. And those *******s are deplorable. It because a catchy way of saying, I'm an ******* and I'm proud of it. It's ridiculous and so demeaning to you if you aren't actually one of them.
Herschel is offline  
post #33 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,689
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I don't care when it was actually said. Here is the quote...

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. "

There are Trump supports and Rrump voters. Hell, a huge number of republican never trumpers voted for him. She is clearly pointing at the base of Trump supporters and specifically, the ones who are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamaphobic. Now, if you claim you are one of those deplorable, you are saying you are one of those things she sidings a deplorable as. And those *******s are deplorable. It because a catchy way of saying, I'm an ******* and I'm proud of it. It's ridiculous and so demeaning to you if you aren't actually one of them.
first off.. I'm not a trump supporter. I don't think that either Hillary or Trump were good choices.

What I am is amused at the political theater, the nonsense that is out there that gets people so riled up.

I have no doubt that there are deplorable people who supported Trump. Shoot, there are some very deplorable people who supported Hillary. Does Hillary really think that there is not a sizable group of horrible people who supported her? If she, or anyone else thinks this, they are just not paying much attention.

People are just laughing at her calling people that word. It was an attempt on her part to try to drive people away from Trump. Sadly for her, it drove people away from her. Not because these people are all racists, etc., but because the statement was so broad based that people who had real concerns that their issues were not being addressed felt that the statement meant that she was going to continue to ignore anyone but the elite. They already felt that she had no interest in getting jobs back for the 95Million Americans who are now out of the work force. She had no interest in fixing a very broken immigration system. it might not have been what she meant, but it was how that statement was taken.

ETA: When it was said is very important. Clearly it was said too close to the election for her to fix it.

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is offline  
 
post #34 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,275
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
The fact that despite what is "proven", that many of trumps followers don't care and think it's the media against him (as he continues to say). Don't believe your lying eyes. Soon, Trump will start off his own media outlet to get his message out there. That sounds crazy, but that is what his twitter is a prelude to.
I don't think it's crazy, I think it's genius. I would if I were him. What he is doing is calculated and smart, and not that "unprofessional"--not any more so than giving a public speech, or speaking over the radio--methods of message delivery change, no matter how much I sometimes don't like the "Twitter" method. I applaud his treatment of the media, and how he handles his Twitter. For true or false, better or worse, it gives him the feeling of having the common touch, and wanting to reach out to the public directly, without someone interpreting his words for him. That's a positive.

The more you and the Left freak about the small stuff Herschel, the more I think you will will marginalize yourselves, and give appearance to just being bitter contrarians in the eyes of the people in the middle. It will make successfully opposing his less popular policies much more difficult.

Quote:
I hear what you are saying, in the general sense, and while I am not even a big fan of Hillary, her unfortunate comment was directed not at you or a general Trump/Republican/anti-Hillary voter. It was directed to the initial base, back when he was polling st 35% of republicans and he had his crowd of alt-righters and other over the top, race baiting and sexists that were grabbing headlines in the news. The shut that ***** up crowd and Obama is a money and the birthers. It became a rallying cry because it was a generic comment which is ridiculous because no politician should be insulting any of the voting public (though Trump can call his opponents idiots with no problem).

So, in concept, I believe that the racists and sexists and people who are like that are deplorable. It's unfortunate that many republicans have to align themselves with these people, but then they created a false narrative implying that she meant all Trump voters. Not that it matters anymore, but the wearing it as a badge is absurd to me.
Yeah. You see, Hilary just put much more poetically what was already being said for the last 8 years about all of us who didn't agree with Obama's policies and politics: If you don't agree with [Democratic Candidate] it's because you're a racist / sexist and you are evil. This was said regularly, even in my very deep red town, in a very deep red state. And I, and many others grew very tired of it. Till at some point, early adopters such as myself just said, "Sure. If not agreeing with a black man's ideas, because I think they're bad ideas is racist, then I'm racist. I'll own it." This mentality grew, and grew, and then enter the beautiful "Deplorable" soundbite, and we had a meme that could alter reality itself.

We're all Deplorables now. We're all racists now. We're all sexists now. If that's how it is, those words have no real meaning. They may as well all just be synonyms for "human". (You didn't necessarily do this, I'm just pointing out what was a regular trope of the last 8 years)

This is to be expected. What else do you expect, when schools are teaching kids to hate themselves because they are racist due to the skin of their birth? That all men are sexist pigs? That we live under a Patriarchy that keeps women down? That minorities can't be racists or bigots? That women can't be sexist?

The Left created this situation long before Hilary. I don't blame her for it.
Kivlor is offline  
post #35 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,000
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I don't care when it was actually said. Here is the quote...

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic -- you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. "
Come on Hersch, you know good and well what people would think of me if I said, "you could take half the people of xyz nationality and put them in a basket of what I call good for nothing bums who want to live off the government". It ain't a stretch at all to interpret and formulate a perception. It brings me solace however because I'm in the other half of Trump's supporters.

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.

Last edited by VladDracul; 01-09-2017 at 04:31 PM.
VladDracul is offline  
post #36 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,275
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrator View Post
Now he's voraciously going after Meryl Streep for her speech at the Golden Globes last night that never even mentioned him by name!

This will, indeed, be an interesting presidency!
Is he going after Streep, or just pointng out the truth? I mean, she is the first face you see when you image search Overrated

Last edited by Kivlor; 01-09-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Kivlor is offline  
post #37 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,887
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Is he going after Streep, or just pointng out the truth? I mean, she is the first face you see when you image search Overrated
I have to assume you are kidding, right?
Herschel is offline  
post #38 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,275
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I have to assume you are kidding, right?
Nope. If you click the link, the first face you'll see on a Google Image Search for Overrated is indeed Streep.

This pic, in fact lol




Hey, isn't that her at this weekend's Golden Globes?
Kivlor is offline  
post #39 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Member
 
Pluto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,630
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

I went to Streeps IMD page, she has won (at my imprecise count) 156 awards. Frankly, I couldn't keep up with how many nominations she received.
Won-156.

Katherine Hepburn and Jack Nicholoson each had 12 Oscar nominations, Streep has 19. (Jack is 77, while Streep is 65)
Al Pacino has eight nods, while Judi Dench, Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman can claim seven each.

Don't know too many people who would call that kind of career over-rated, at least not people who actually know what they are talking about.

In youth it was a way I had, to do my best to please, And change, with every passing lad to suit his theories.
But now I know the things I know, and do the things I do; And if you do not like me so, To hell, my love, with you! --Dorothy Parker

Last edited by Pluto2; 01-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Pluto2 is offline  
post #40 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,275
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

I liked Piers Morgan's take on this Streep speech, I thought it was very accurate.

And @Pluto the answer to your question, is the kind of people who enjoy mocking hypocrites. The overrated comment isn't meant to be taken as gospel, it's meant to mock someone who thought it wise to try to turn their Golden Globes speech into a bully pulpit, and continue to propagate well known lies about a public figure. The "overrated" comment is making fun of the Left, and how they'll praise someone like Streep, who has had a tremendous number of failed movies, even hailing her as the best actress of the era, all while claiming Trump having ~6 bankruptcies out of 400+ business ventures is proof he's a failure.

It's called having fun at your expense.

Kivlor is offline  
post #41 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Member
 
Pluto2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,630
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Wow, I had no idea (snark)

In youth it was a way I had, to do my best to please, And change, with every passing lad to suit his theories.
But now I know the things I know, and do the things I do; And if you do not like me so, To hell, my love, with you! --Dorothy Parker
Pluto2 is offline  
post #42 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,887
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Nope. If you click the link, the first face you'll see on a Google Image Search for Overrated is indeed Streep.

This pic, in fact lol




Hey, isn't that her at this weekend's Golden Globes?
It's only that image because of the massive number of people googling Trump's Overrated remark.

Maybe if you search for Excellent, you'll come up with her picture again as Trump called her that way back, 2 years ago in an interview...

"Any actress you love?

Julia Roberts is terrific, and many others. Meryl Streep is excellent; she's a fine person, too. The problem is I'll name three or four or five and then the hundred that I know will be insulted, and I don't mean to insult them."
Herschel is offline  
post #43 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:12 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,275
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
It's only that image because of the massive number of people googling Trump's Overrated remark.

Maybe if you search for Excellent, you'll come up with her picture again as Trump called her that way back, 2 years ago in an interview...

"Any actress you love?

Julia Roberts is terrific, and many others. Meryl Streep is excellent; she's a fine person, too. The problem is I'll name three or four or five and then the hundred that I know will be insulted, and I don't mean to insult them."
So, she's as excellent as another hundred actresses?
Kivlor is offline  
post #44 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,887
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
I liked Piers Morgan's take on this Streep speech, I thought it was very accurate.

And @Pluto the answer to your question, is the kind of people who enjoy mocking hypocrites. The overrated comment isn't meant to be taken as gospel, it's meant to mock someone who thought it wise to try to turn their Golden Globes speech into a bully pulpit, and continue to propagate well known lies about a public figure. The "overrated" comment is making fun of the Left, and how they'll praise someone like Streep, who has had a tremendous number of failed movies, even hailing her as the best actress of the era, all while claiming Trump having ~6 bankruptcies out of 400+ business ventures is proof he's a failure.

It's called having fun at your expense.
Are you drawing a correlation between having a bad movie and going bankrupt? Having a bad movie is equivalent to making a bad business deal. That **** happens. Having 6 bankruptcies is like having 6 Razzie Awards or something like that.

However, the funny thing is, I am not even against Trump calling her overrated (other than it makes him look like an immature baby). I mean, in concept, having that many awards, that puts your "value rating" pretty high. Possibly higher than it really should be. She may in fact be the best actress of her time AND overrated at the same time. But that has nothing to do with the juvenile way he posts on Twitter and it is so ridiculously absurd that people eat it up.
Herschel is offline  
post #45 of 250 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,887
Re: Trump is such a Tweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
So, she's as excellent as another hundred actresses?
I am not talking about Streep. I am fine if he thinks she is overrated. I think it's ridiculous for him to tweet it as a retort, especially given her resume. However, it's also ridiculous for him to say she is excellent and then 2 years later, say she is overrated. Do you not agree with that? It's akin to when he called Hillary and Bill great people and she was a good politician like 8 years ago.
Herschel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump... wins because of hate katiecrna Politics and Religion 210 11-26-2016 08:56 AM
How could a "moron" win the Presidency of the United States? tech-novelist Politics and Religion 195 11-22-2016 09:59 AM
The End of Trump Coming Soon See_Listen_Love Politics and Religion 292 11-09-2016 10:10 AM
This is about Trump, and Trump alone samyeagar Politics and Religion 54 08-13-2016 12:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome