Examples of white privilege:
Never being pulled over for driving a car in a white neighborhood.
Never being asked if I would deliver something to the nearest soup kitchen because I'm black and therefore know where all the free sh!t is being handed out.
Never having been the subject of "nigger jokes."
Never seeing a popular movie, or popular novel, or popular TV show that has not one single white person in it.
Never having to buy Nude pantyhose only to find nude is only meant for dark skinned women because on me Nude looks brown.
Never having to creat my own make up in order to find shades that match my skin tone.
Never having someone grab their purse tighter because I sat near them.
Being the first in my lineage to ever see white people as successful.
Never being seen as the exception to the rule when I am successful.
Never having to be extra careful about being angry.
Never having witnessed a white man get shot by the police because he was running away...with his hands up...
Never having to prove I have a right to be walking around in the neighborhood where I live.
1. No but I've been pulled over for being white in a non-white neighborhood. Which is the logical equivalent.
2. This is retarded. Look up averages. It's not a "privilege" it's the consequence of being 12% of the population. There should probably be nearly zero black people in movies because of that. (less people means a smaller pool to reach that high of success... etc) Also, do we get to complain about India not having the requisite number of whites in Bollywood movies?
3. I have been the subject of "nigger" jokes and comments, and I'm white. I've also been the subject of white jokes. Most of the whites I know have been.
4.I'm a man, so I don't buy pantyhose. Are you complaining about the naming of a "pantyhose color"? Is that "privilege"? Are we relegating "privilege to only the most mundane of shopping items names?
5. Go to a makeup store. They sell all colors. I live in a 90%+ white town and they do this.
6. A lot of us men have experienced this. I've also experienced the opposite, where a woman scooted closer to me for protection.
7. What does this even mean?
8. I'm constantly the "exception to the rule" in my success because I only have a HS Diploma. I've seen a lot more people act shocked about that than about race... and tangentially, if people think because of your skin you probably can't hold down a job, what does that tell you about how people with your skin color tend to behave?
9. Um, hello? Man? I defy any white man to get belligerent with the cops in my town. Or in general. It doesn't end well, I've been there.
10. Have you ever witnessed a non-white man shot in the back while running away with his hands up? (Remember, we're talking witnessed, miss, not "heard about".)
11. Yes. I've had to prove this. More than once. I've also had to prove I had a right to be driving in a neighborhood I live in. What of it?
Your list is racially motivated, and denies any issues anyone but black people have. It is disingenuous and misleading. Moreover, almost every one of these has nothing to do with any injustice, and is about the most meaningless of complaints--like the name of the pantyhose you're shopping for. If that's your "injustice" you are quite privileged in this world and need to grow up. If you think that's privilege, and that it sets you as above someone else, you are a moron and need your head examined.
[/quote]as you go through this list and defend against it by being able to name someone who knows a guy who is white and he/she also had that happen, this list is a preponderance. It is an overwhelming state of normal for people of color that white people take for granted.[/quote]
Even if you can disprove me, it doesn't count because I must be right.
Can any white person name a time when their race was intentionally denied rights? Do you all realize this country is STILL trying to suppress the black vote?
White privilege is alive and well.
Proceed with denials...
I can name plenty of times that white people have been discriminated against, in favor of lower qualified POC, just because of skin color. In fact, the law enshrines it. Colleges enforce it (and it's worse for Asians there btw). Racism is alive and well, it's just vogue to be racist against white people today.
Here's a question for you: if a white man stood up in a room of black people, and told nigger jokes, how long do you think he would last before violence erupted? If a black person stood up in a room of white people and told white jokes, how long do you think they would last? (Hint: The answer to #2 is there wouldn't be any violence)
Here's one more: Name to us an example of white people today suppressing the black vote.