White Pins For White Privilege - Page 6 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 830Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #76 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:29 AM
Member
 
Anon Pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,340
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-novelist View Post
Yes, when there is a quota to prevent white students from being accepted at a college when they would have been accepted if they weren't white.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...leducationnews

You're welcome.
Can you name the right denied to the white student? And is this right denied to all white student or to some white students? At all institutions or at some?

I'm not arguing the merits of affirmative action with you Tech, this thread is about white privilege. Get with the program.


"Some women are blessed with multi-orgasmic ability for a reason and I'm damn sure not going to waste a blessing" ~FrenchFry

"Vaginas are tricky creatures." ~Lucy999
Anon Pink is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 AM
Member
 
Red Sonja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 766
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Where I grew up was not isolated but suburbia. I'm sorry that my experience doesn't match yours. But isn't it revealing that because our experiences don't match, your first words to me were a dismissive insult? Do you to this to everyone who confesses to an experience you didn't share? Could this denial be a huge part of the problem between the races?
Dismissive insult?! Try sarcastic humor.

The point of my post is that your experience does not define the experience of all (or even the majority) of the members of your race. The same can be said of any race.

This is why there is no collective “white privilege” or “white guilt” or whatever you want to call it. All human-beings need live and deal in the present. No one can remedy the past, the best we can do is to remember the mistakes so that they are not repeated.
Red Sonja is online now  
post #78 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 AM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,045
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
This is why there is no collective “white privilege” or “white guilt” or whatever you want to call it. All human-beings need live and deal in the present. No one can remedy the past, the best we can do is to remember the mistakes so that they are not repeated.
But neither racism nor white privilege were only in "the past", they are right here, right now. Yes some of the crimes against humanity that people of color endured at the hands of white people were in the past and not now....but not all of them. Some still occur right now.

Remember the goal of feminism: Making sure only alphas get laid!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Faithful Wife is offline  
 
post #79 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 AM
Administrator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,764
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

The US is an extremely large country with a lot of variety. While Faithful Wife grew up in small towns that were clearly racist, Red Sonja did not.

I've lived in many places around the USA. Some where racism was very much part of the culture (Atlanta, NYC, NJ) and other where it just did not seem to be a big deal. But when there was racism, it was not from just one race.

When the Irish came to the USA, they were coming from a country where they were treated horribly with genocide, starvation, forced labor/slavery, etc. And then came to the USA and were treated horribly.

When the big Italian immigration happened, it was a lot of people running from famine and wars. They too were treated horribly. My mother and her family had no 'white privilege'. When we lived in Atlanta, by law, my parents were not considered legally married because Italians were considered non-white. Even my generation experience a lot of this discrimination. Shoot a few years ago at work, one of my co-workers starting ranting on about how Italians are sub-humans and to my surprise, others joined in. (I should have gone to HR but was concerned about backlash.)

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #80 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 AM
Member
 
Red Sonja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 766
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
But neither racism nor white privilege were only in "the past", they are right here, right now.
I am speaking in the context of the US:

There are individuals who have racist attitudes, yes. There is nothing anyone can do about that, you can enforce laws but you cannot police thoughts or words.

I do not agree with what some on this thread have called white privilege. Everything I have read so far is interpretation and/or opinion, that does not make truth or facts. If you have other current examples, please point them out.
Red Sonja is online now  
post #81 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Administrator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 33,764
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Can you name the right denied to the white student? And is this right denied to all white student or to some white students? At all institutions or at some?

I'm not arguing the merits of affirmative action with you Tech, this thread is about white privilege. Get with the program.
What right is denied to black students by colleges/universities these days?

What privilege is denied to black students by colleges/universities these days?

Surviving An Affair -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To Create A Passionate Marriage -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EleGirl is online now  
post #82 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Examples of white privilege:

Never being pulled over for driving a car in a white neighborhood.
Never being asked if I would deliver something to the nearest soup kitchen because I'm black and therefore know where all the free sh!t is being handed out.
Never having been the subject of "nigger jokes."
Never seeing a popular movie, or popular novel, or popular TV show that has not one single white person in it.
Never having to buy Nude pantyhose only to find nude is only meant for dark skinned women because on me Nude looks brown.
Never having to creat my own make up in order to find shades that match my skin tone.
Never having someone grab their purse tighter because I sat near them.
Being the first in my lineage to ever see white people as successful.
Never being seen as the exception to the rule when I am successful.
Never having to be extra careful about being angry.
Never having witnessed a white man get shot by the police because he was running away...with his hands up...
Never having to prove I have a right to be walking around in the neighborhood where I live.

as you go through this list and defend against it by being able to name someone who knows a guy who is white and he/she also had that happen, this list is a preponderance. It is an overwhelming state of normal for people of color that white people take for granted.

Can any white person name a time when their race was intentionally denied rights? Do you all realize this country is STILL trying to suppress the black vote?

White privilege is alive and well.

Proceed with denials...

LOL. So what kind of privilege was Rachel Dolezal chasing?

Speaking of privilege...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4408720_orig.png
Views:	21
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	51322  
old red is offline  
post #83 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 110
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Just like all you guys here in this thread who are not pleased with the concept of white privilege, some of you are hostile, some of you are angry, some of you don't understand but most of you won't listen because you feel like you're being attacked because you're white? I get it. I really do. I had a difficult time understanding this without feeling attacked too. I felt hurt that anyone could possibly think I would ever have anything to do with racist behavior! But then I shut the hell up and listened. I stopped taking their (black people) anger personally and I listened.

You're not asked to apologize.
You're not being held personally responsible.
You're being asked to acknowledge that you've had privileges growing up white.
That's it. Simple and easy. And yet you fight it. Why?

I suspect that some people react in a hostile manner to your empty virtual signalling because it will be their children who will suffer the consequences of your bs. Pretty simple really. According to your logic, President Obama's daughters are oppressed, while the poor white kid who grows up in a trailer park to a single parent is privileged. Your colour by numbers identity politics is ridiculous. As a white guy with Polish heritage (my close relatives personally experienced the horrors of the Nazis and the Stalinists, in fact, the depravations that they experienced are beyond my comprehension) whenever I hear of people peddling this type of racist garbage, I get very protective of my children and am filled with incredible rage against those who would label my beautiful and innocent children. Just as I don't smear the current generation of Germans for what happened to my family, I expect people like you to back the **** off and to leave my kids alone with your degenerate and dangerous campaigns. That's it. Simple and easy. And yet you fight it.


{Moderator Note: I spelled out the profanity. Please follow forum rules in regards to the profanity filter.

8. Filter Bypass/Obscenity: A profanity filter is in place and any attempts to bypass it are forbidden. You MAY type words that are filtered, as long as they are not abusive towards other quests or violate any other rules; however, you must allow the filter to do its job. Do NOT try to filter the word yourself and do not try to use creative spelling to bypass the profanity filter. Also, posting images of videos of obscene gestures, linking to obscene web sites, posting obscene or graphic descriptions of a decidedly adult nature, and violating a standard of decent behavior is not allowed.

February 21st is the deadline for full enforcement of the measure.

Posting Guidelines - Forum Rules (2016) }

Last edited by EleGirl; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
old red is offline  
post #84 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:30 AM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,823
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-novelist View Post
Yes, when there is a quota to prevent white students from being accepted at a college when they would have been accepted if they weren't white.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...leducationnews

You're welcome.
The quota does not apply to every school in the country... If you're he11 bent on going to Harvard, you have other things to worry about in the admissions process.

Next thing you know instate kids feel discriminated because preference is given to out of state kids paying 3x
john117 is online now  
post #85 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:42 AM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,823
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Can you name the right denied to the white student? And is this right denied to all white student or to some white students? At all institutions or at some?

I'm not arguing the merits of affirmative action with you Tech, this thread is about white privilege. Get with the program.
There have been a number of cases that have made the media... Mostly marginal students who didn't get in but URM's did with lower scores.

Is quota needed? Unless you want the elite schools to be lilly white on the east coast and Asian on the west coast...

When my older girl applied to grad school she visited a few to get a feel of the studio culture. One or two stood out (not in a good way) by having nearly 50% of the students from a certain out of state demographic. The results were disastrous in many ways. Her current top rated school is much more diverse in this regard and has an awesome studio culture.

john117 is online now  
post #86 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM
Member
 
Mr. Nail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western US
Posts: 2,478
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
No, it doesn't make it okay to kill a Mormon and be reminded I never even suggested that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Trying to rid a community of people who behaved in ways that were socially unacceptable could be effective in getting them to behave in acceptable ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
so let try to stay on point here?
It's very difficult when the only "point" here seems to be, I'm right you're wrong, that is why I sing this song . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon Pink View Post
Some white people? Some black people?

If you were able to find the obscure Missouri executive order 44 I'm fairly certain you don't need me to educated you on racism in America, Dredd Scott, Jim Crow, and the countless Emmitt Till's.
For Example the very group that you did in fact suggest needed "to behave in acceptable ways", believed in freeing the black slaves before the civil war, and the executive action mentioned was in large part in order to remove them from the voting pool. They were denied the right of property and in many cases life in order to keep Black people in slavery. So yes "Some White People". Now I have less evidence of Some Black people, but I seem to recall something called the Underground Railroad that obviously led to Someplace where Blacks were so accepted that there is a "freeman" in my wife's very Welch based New England ancestry. If you are going to claim All you can't accept this kind of Cherry picking, other wise I wouldn't be wrong.
Mr. Nail is offline  
post #87 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 AM
Moderator
 
lifeistooshort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,582
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy400 View Post
Sure, there are some benefits to being white.

There are also benefits to being attractive.

There are benefits to being athletically talented.

There are benefits to being smart.

Do we make these people wear buttons to "acknowledge their privilege?

Should we make the attractive wear masks? The athletically gifted where ankle weights? The smart listen to the Carpenters while taking tests?

What exactly are we trying to achieve by having white's acknowledge their privilege? Especially those that are unattractive, uncoordinated and unintelligent?
That is an interesting point. Even among blacks, it's well documented that the local black college football hero gets treated much better than his non athlete brothers. Especially if he gets in trouble.

And attractive people are treated differently.....it's even been shown that tall men are better compensated at work than short men.

So in that sense discrimination is everywhere.

I don't think it should be accepted and nobody deserves it, but to make an argument that it's strictly a white thing is simplistic. I do think minorities of color do still face some deeply rooted challenges, but social change takes generations. And unless you've taken advantage of the opportunities you do have it's disingenuous to cry racism over your life not being what you want.

Approaching this from the perspective of privilege is problematic, IMO, because often the ones who supposedly have this privilege don't feel like they do. They face many of the same challenges as everyone else, so they wonder where is this privilege? Because they don't realize how much worse it could be.

So let's focus on injustice where it exists.

I'd bet one of the most discriminated against groups is people these days is fat people.....ironic really because most of the US is fat to some degree.
lifeistooshort is offline  
post #88 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
EllisRedding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Valhalla (Or the Northeast USA)
Posts: 6,543
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Can someone please explain who is "white" under "white privilege", what group(s) are we covering? Is it everyone who is not black? What about someone who is maybe half black/half "white", does it depend on how dark they are? How about people who have darker skin but are not black? Just simply trying to figure out what groups we are lumping in under each of these "white" and "non white" categories.
EllisRedding is online now  
post #89 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,823
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

I'm WINO, white in name only - thanks to my European roots I can pass for any nationality except northern Europe, also for Middle Easterner or Latino or (thanks to my love of bagels and a few Israeli wines ) Jewish. No white privilege for me.

No white privilege for the Mrs. either, never mind most people think she's Italian or French. About half think she's Latina or Indian (she's Central Asian).
john117 is online now  
post #90 of 453 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Member
 
wild jade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,590
Re: White Pins For White Privilege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
I grew up in a very small population of people who are isolated from any decent sized urban area. I lived in 3 different small towns, all about 20 miles or so from each other. I went from K-12 in these three small towns. One had a population of 2000, one 15,000, and one 350 (yes, 350). The nearest big city was about 80 miles away. That's where we had to go to get things from department stores, see new release movies, etc. So while I did go to this city a few times a year and did see people of other races....this was nothing compared to the life I lived every day.

There was not one black person living in ANY of these 3 towns. Not ONE. There were some hispanic people, mostly migrant workers. There were some native Americans. That's it. If there were any people of Asian decent, I do not recall even ONE in any of my schools or seeing one in the small towns I lived in.
I grew up in such a town. It was so white that the only racial diversity was one Italian family who stood out because of their slightly olive skin tone. That family was treated so horribly by everyone else in this awful small-minded horrible place, it was ... horrifying, awful, and a life long lesson for me about racism and discrimination. I was out of there as soon as I could be.

To me, it is completely unfathomable that people cannot see the fruits of white privilege every where they go. Yes there are white people who are low on the socio-economic scale, and yes there are white people who have faced untold discrimination from others. But the reality is that despite the absolute fact that white people are a minority of the world's population, as a group, whites hold most of the wealth and power and all of the privileges that come with that. And while that truth may be changing, it is still true.

And it isn't a coincidence.
wild jade is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a message for 'white' america mrpavlovich Politics and Religion 52 11-11-2016 09:15 AM
Hug a Progressive Straight White Guy Day Herschel The Social Spot 2 07-28-2016 11:52 AM
when you are on the receiving end of a white lie... Begin again General Relationship Discussion 15 07-16-2016 10:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome