America: A Failing Marriage - Page 10 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 894Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #136 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,257
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP View Post
I highly recommend the "slidefire" butt stock. Will turn any A.R. 15 into a fully legal and fully automatic weapon. Even comes with a letter from the BATF. The rate of fire is equal to an M16 and it's completely controllable.
When my neighborhood starts shooting, if I want to stop it all, I bust out the slidefire. Thirty .556 rounds in couple seconds tends to quiet things down.
Well, I'm not really an AR-15 fan. I shoot a Steyer AUG.

I'm actually .308 man. My main Armageddon rifle is my Springfield SOCOM M-14. I like a bullet that cuts through walls, kills the enemy and then kills the guy standing behind him.

bandit.45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,257
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Deleted

Last edited by bandit.45; 02-24-2017 at 03:37 PM.
bandit.45 is offline  
post #138 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:34 AM
UMP
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,279
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
Well, I'm not really an AR-15 fan. I shoot a Steyer AUG.

I'm actually .308 man. My main Armageddon rifle is my Springfield SOCOM M-14.
I once had a couple cops stop at my front gate because of a complaint (automatic fire)
I walked up to them with a holstered .500 Smith and Wesson. Just a smile and a waive goodbye. (check that, I left the gun in the barn and I brought out the ammo. Looks like grenade launcher rounds! They just wanted to make certain I wasn't wasted.)

Ya Gotta Love America !!

See ya'll Monday.

Last edited by UMP; 02-24-2017 at 10:43 AM.
UMP is offline  
 
post #139 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,365
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

The left isn't a monolithic group, anymore than the right is. Different groups disagree (or agree) with different policies. I agree that immigration is a major issue with a lot of the left, but not the the only one.

It feels to me more like an ideology issue rather than a specific policy issue:

The left believes in a more multi-cultural country which includes Mexican, Asian, African an Islamic culture as integral parts. Trump seems to view the US as a primarily northern-European based culture which other groups are welcome to join but to which they are expected to conform.

Trump and the Republicans are very "law based". They view people here illegally as having no rights and subject to deportation in the most efficient way possible. The Left tends to think that even people here illegally should have rights and be reasonably protected from harm.

The left tends to have an overall goal if making the world a better place. The right tends to have an overall goal of making the US a better place.

Both sides tend to ignore critically important second order effects when they propose policies, and IMHO tend to have very naive views of how the world works - just in different directions.

As an example of the complexity, you can't have a long term trade imbalance because the money needs to get back to its country of origin. The real issue is when you are trading fabricated goods for permanent assets - but that is an issue in both directions. So if we have a trade imbalance with China, they ship us goods and in return invest in the US. That might sound bad for the US, and in some ways it is. OTOH, it means that WE have physical control over their assets - a rather strong bargaining chip if things get ugly. If an actual war stated, the US would immediately seize a trillion dollars worth of Chinese assets in the US.



Quote:
Originally Posted by VladDracul View Post
snip
Again, isn't the main problem with Trump is that he wants to deal with illegal immigration? Or put it another way. If he'd take illegal immigration or undocumented immigrates, however you want to term it, off the table, would the left still have as big a problem with him.
Regarding the rise in racist attacks, I haven't noticed. Perhaps its been obscured by riots, rent-a-mob, related injuries and property destruction, and the hooping and hollering by the left.
uhtred is online now  
post #140 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,257
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtred View Post
The left isn't a monolithic group, anymore than the right is. Different groups disagree (or agree) with different policies. I agree that immigration is a major issue with a lot of the left, but not the the only one.

It feels to me more like an ideology issue rather than a specific policy issue:

The left believes in a more multi-cultural country which includes Mexican, Asian, African an Islamic culture as integral parts. Trump seems to view the US as a primarily northern-European based culture which other groups are welcome to join but to which they are expected to conform.

Trump and the Republicans are very "law based". They view people here illegally as having no rights and subject to deportation in the most efficient way possible. The Left tends to think that even people here illegally should have rights and be reasonably protected from harm.

The left tends to have an overall goal if making the world a better place. The right tends to have an overall goal of making the US a better place.

Both sides tend to ignore critically important second order effects when they propose policies, and IMHO tend to have very naive views of how the world works - just in different directions.

As an example of the complexity, you can't have a long term trade imbalance because the money needs to get back to its country of origin. The real issue is when you are trading fabricated goods for permanent assets - but that is an issue in both directions. So if we have a trade imbalance with China, they ship us goods and in return invest in the US. That might sound bad for the US, and in some ways it is. OTOH, it means that WE have physical control over their assets - a rather strong bargaining chip if things get ugly. If an actual war stated, the US would immediately seize a trillion dollars worth of Chinese assets in the US.
You bring up very good points.

I do have to disagree with what I highlighted. For one, I am a conservative and I happen to believe strongly that every human has certain rights that are protected....inalienable, born-in rights. No one has a "right" to live in the United States... not even citizens. Living and working here in the U.S. is a privilege, not a right. An American citizen can lose his/her citizenship. It can be done. It has been done.

As for the second one, I happen to believe that if the U.S. becomes a better place, that good fortune will tend to spread out to our allies around the globe. And that is one reason why the militant Islamists want us out of the Middle East so badly, because as long as American culture has a foothold there, they cannot maintain total control over the population. All that free thought and human rights stuff throws a wrench in their works.

You seem to come from a stance that only the more progressive thinking doctrines of Europe have a monopoly on the definition of what constitutes human rights.
bandit.45 is offline  
post #141 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 888
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
You cross-posted buddy.
But you see my point.

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.
VladDracul is offline  
post #142 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,500
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtred View Post
As an example of the complexity, you can't have a long term trade imbalance because the money needs to get back to its country of origin. The real issue is when you are trading fabricated goods for permanent assets - but that is an issue in both directions. So if we have a trade imbalance with China, they ship us goods and in return invest in the US. That might sound bad for the US, and in some ways it is. OTOH, it means that WE have physical control over their assets - a rather strong bargaining chip if things get ugly. If an actual war stated, the US would immediately seize a trillion dollars worth of Chinese assets in the US.
You can have a long term trade imbalance if one of the countries can print money that other countries will keep rather than using to buy goods from the country that is printing the money.

This is the current situation with the first country being the US.

Any attempt to fix this without stopping the money printing is bound to fail, as that newly printed money has to go somewhere. If it leaves the US, it causes a trade imbalance; if it stays in the US, it causes inflation.

Always remember the LD motto: "Sex isn't important!!!"
tech-novelist is offline  
post #143 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 888
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
You bring up very good points.

And that is one reason why the militant Islamists want us out of the Middle East so badly, because as long as American culture has a foothold there, they cannot maintain total control over the population. All that free thought and human rights stuff throws a wrench in their works.
Is it that much of a stretch to conceptualize militant Islamists want in for the same reason?

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.
VladDracul is offline  
post #144 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,365
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

The right is far from monolithic as well.

I guess the questions I'd have are:

If someone is here illegally and it would cause them harm to be deported, should we deport them anyway.

If a policy would benefit the US but cause harm elsewhere, should we adopt that policy. (assuming that the harm is larger, but not overwhelming compared to the benefit).


The secondary effects of improvements in the US affecting other countries and vice-versa are of course very open to debate.




Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
You bring up very good points.

I do have to disagree with what I highlighted. For one, I am a conservative and I happen to believe strongly that every human has certain rights that are protected....inalienable, born-in rights. No one has a "right" to live in the United States... not even citizens. Living and working here in the U.S. is a privilege, not a right. An American citizen can lose his/her citizenship. It can be done. It has been done.

As for the second one, I happen to believe that if the U.S. becomes a better place, that good fortune will tend to spread out to our allies around the globe. And that is one reason why the militant Islamists want us out of the Middle East so badly, because as long as American culture has a foothold there, they cannot maintain total control over the population. All that free thought and human rights stuff throws a wrench in their works.

You seem to come from a stance that only the more progressive thinking doctrines of Europe have a monopoly on the definition of what constitutes human rights.
uhtred is online now  
post #145 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,257
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladDracul View Post
Is it that much of a stretch to conceptualize militant Islamists want in for the same reason?
Yes.

bandit.45 is offline  
post #146 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,365
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

If a country prints money, their currency will devalue until the trade deficit stops because they can no longer afford to buy goods from other countries. This may not be a desirable situation.

Money is just medium of exchange / record keeping. In the long term the value of the goods exchanged has to match.

The effects of printing money are very complex. Having much too much or much too little money supply has very bad effects, but there is a wide intermediate range where there are a range of advantages and disadvantages.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tech-novelist View Post
You can have a long term trade imbalance if one of the countries can print money that other countries will keep rather than using to buy goods from the country that is printing the money.

This is the current situation with the first country being the US.

Any attempt to fix this without stopping the money printing is bound to fail, as that newly printed money has to go somewhere. If it leaves the US, it causes a trade imbalance; if it stays in the US, it causes inflation.
uhtred is online now  
post #147 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:59 AM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,391
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
Hillary has left a trail of destruction behind her. It all started with Whitewater. I don't recall Trump paying off a woman to spend a year or two in jail for contempt of court because she refused to testify against him regarding his nefarious real estate deals.

Hillary is a disgrace.
Yet said disgrace almost won the EC by a few thousand votes in three states and won the popular vote by 3M votes... Not all votes for her were from purple hazed tree huggers.
john117 is online now  
post #148 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Steve1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: US
Posts: 903
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

One key to saving the marriage is for liberals and conservatives to stop assuming and declaring that all liberals or conservatives think a certain way. There is a wide variety of thoughts and hopes among both groups. I believe that most people's preferences don't all lie on one side of the political spectrum.
Steve1000 is online now  
post #149 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 888
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladDracul View Post
Is it that much of a stretch to conceptualize militant Islamists want in for the same reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
Yes.



It worked like a charm for us. Now if you'll excuse us, we got some virgins to take care of






-

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.
VladDracul is offline  
post #150 of 525 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 10,429
Re: America: A Failing Marriage

UH,

You are one smart fellow. Not only is 'The Left' not monolithic - it is not static. For example my very republican - catholic wife - has moved pretty far to the left in the past year because she finds the current pres to be so repellant

Part of it relates to her sense of fairness. For example, drug dealers get way bigger punishments than drug users. This makes sense to pretty much everyone.

But it's reversed for the folks hiring illegals. In that case, the 'job' dealer gets a slap on the wrist (or the practice wouldn't exist) and the worker gets their life turned inside out via deportation.




Quote:
Originally Posted by uhtred View Post
The left isn't a monolithic group, anymore than the right is. Different groups disagree (or agree) with different policies. I agree that immigration is a major issue with a lot of the left, but not the the only one.

It feels to me more like an ideology issue rather than a specific policy issue:

The left believes in a more multi-cultural country which includes Mexican, Asian, African an Islamic culture as integral parts. Trump seems to view the US as a primarily northern-European based culture which other groups are welcome to join but to which they are expected to conform.

Trump and the Republicans are very "law based". They view people here illegally as having no rights and subject to deportation in the most efficient way possible. The Left tends to think that even people here illegally should have rights and be reasonably protected from harm.

The left tends to have an overall goal if making the world a better place. The right tends to have an overall goal of making the US a better place.

Both sides tend to ignore critically important second order effects when they propose policies, and IMHO tend to have very naive views of how the world works - just in different directions.

As an example of the complexity, you can't have a long term trade imbalance because the money needs to get back to its country of origin. The real issue is when you are trading fabricated goods for permanent assets - but that is an issue in both directions. So if we have a trade imbalance with China, they ship us goods and in return invest in the US. That might sound bad for the US, and in some ways it is. OTOH, it means that WE have physical control over their assets - a rather strong bargaining chip if things get ugly. If an actual war stated, the US would immediately seize a trillion dollars worth of Chinese assets in the US.
MEM2020 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meaning of Marriage DosXXMan Long Term Success in Marriage 57 12-03-2016 06:49 AM
Is my marriage finished? There is something seriously wrong. marriagetalk General Relationship Discussion 34 06-17-2016 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome