God: Summing it up - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 324Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: California
Posts: 2,465
God: Summing it up

It seems there are three main options.
1) There is no God - Atheist
2) There is a God, who we can start to understand through spiritual humility - Abrahamic faith
3) There is a God. He sits on a cloud, started work on making the world on a Monday and wrote everything literally in a book (in American English, using old British English words) and He agrees with me that everyone else is wrong.
Now, let's all just get along.

Mr The Other is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,088
Re: God: Summing it up

Many many other options out there.

I don't know if there is a god, I have not yet seen any convincing evidence. If there is a god, and his actions are accurately represented by the bible, then I believe he is evil, and I will not follow him.

There are a billion Hindus who believe in multiple gods.

There are 2 billion Christians and 1.5 billion Muslims who believe in the same god, but frequently view the other religion as incorrect, and even evil.

There are at least 70,000 people who identify their religion as Jedi.
uhtred is offline  
post #3 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 AM
Member
 
GTdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,082
Re: God: Summing it up

4?

I believe in God. I just don't understand why He does half the stuff He does.

And as far as debating religion, it's a lot like debating politics or spanking: your time may be better spent learning origami or a Khoisan "click" language.
GTdad is offline  
 
post #4 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,202
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr The Other View Post
It seems there are three main options.

1) There is no God - Atheist

2) There is a God, who we can start to understand through spiritual humility - Abrahamic faith

3) There is a God. He sits on a cloud, started work on making the world on a Monday and wrote everything literally in a book (in American English, using old British English words) and He agrees with me that everyone else is wrong.

Now, let's all just get along.


Not all atheist are angry. I have no need to be angry for what someone else believes. I also don't see it as my goal to change anyone's mind on the issue. The only time I take issue is when either one tries to justify their faith in an attempt to use what they assume is sound science or someone using science to destroy another person's faith.

One does not need science to justify their belief and the angry atheist does not need to arrogantly assume they are better than believers because they have scientific evidence. Both of these are faulty positions.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #5 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM
UMP
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,198
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdad View Post
4?

I believe in God. I just don't understand why He does half the stuff He does.
Like what?

Maybe we can discuss and come to an understanding.

There are certainly things that we cannot fully understand, but there is also much that we can.
UMP is offline  
post #6 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Member
 
GTdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,082
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP View Post
Like what?
1) The need for blood to atone for sin.
2) The existence of sin in the first place.
3) The existence of Hell, and the concept of being punished for all eternity for a relatively minute lifetime of sin that apparently we're programmed to commit, when God could have chosen to prevent that programming in the first place.
4) Mosquitos. And scorpions. And bull nettle. And mesquite thorns.

ETA: Oh crap. I think I'm being drawn into a debate. Damn it (so to speak).
GTdad is offline  
post #7 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 AM
UMP
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,198
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdad View Post
1) The need for blood to atone for sin.
2) The existence of sin in the first place.
3) The existence of Hell, and the concept of being punished for all eternity for a relatively minute lifetime of sin that apparently we're programmed to commit, when God could have chosen to prevent that programming in the first place.
4) Mosquitos. And scorpions. And bull nettle. And mesquite thorns.

ETA: Oh crap. I think I'm being drawn into a debate. Damn it (so to speak).
I will honestly try to answer your questions. It may take me some time though.
If you really want to understand there are a couple things that MUST be clear to start with. God is perfect, in every possible way. This is very difficult to understand because we humans are imperfect. Secondly, because God is perfect in every way, everything He does is perfect and just.

I will try to answer as fully as possible.

Thank you for asking.
UMP is offline  
post #8 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
Member
 
inmyprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Posts: 459
Re: God: Summing it up

I thought humans were supposed to have been created after his image in which case wouldn't we also be perfect? Or is it only referring to the looks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
inmyprime is online now  
post #9 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,202
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyprime View Post
I thought humans were supposed to have been created after his image in which case wouldn't we also be perfect? Or is it only referring to the looks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


In his image, which means if Jesus were alive today, he would not be able to travel to America due to a potential travel ban. He looking more of his Palestinian origin than the bearded European looking guy we typically see painted in so many misrepresentations.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #10 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 PM
UMP
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,198
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyprime View Post
I thought humans were supposed to have been created after his image in which case wouldn't we also be perfect? Or is it only referring to the looks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
God did create Adam and Eve in perfection.

They freely chose to sin against God. Given that we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, we now carry that same sinful nature and we all die because of it.

UMP is offline  
post #11 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
In his image, which means if Jesus were alive today, he would not be able to travel to America due to a potential travel ban.
He could just part the oceans and walk across.

>




>




>



On wait wrong guy never mind.
browser is offline  
post #12 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Member
 
inmyprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Posts: 459
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP View Post
God did create Adam and Eve in perfection.



They freely chose to sin against God. Given that we are all descendants of Adam and Eve, we now carry that same sinful nature and we all die because of it.


But then everything was supposed to be ok after Jesus died for our sins I thought?
In any case, I found the Old Testament stories fascinating as a child (also Greek myths) but grew out of them. Fairly quickly. They are nice stories (some are horrific).
I wondered if it is an evolutionary phenomenon to help us cope better with things like death that some have the ingrained wish to continue believing those stories. I sometimes wish I could.
Observing the world, it's fairly clear to me that things often "just happen" and nobody really gives a crap about the horrible stuff going on. If there was anyone who cared at all, especially someone omniscient and omnipotent, it would have stopped by now. Free will isn't really the "get out of jail" card as is commonly advertised. (I don't really believe we have free will, at least not how it is commonly defined. We have the ability to react to certain things, in a certain way but stuff just...happens. Unfortunately. And there's nothing anyone can do about it.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
inmyprime is online now  
post #13 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:39 PM
UMP
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,198
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyprime View Post
But then everything was supposed to be ok after Jesus died for our sins I thought?
In any case, I found the Old Testament stories fascinating as a child (also Greek myths) but grew out of them. Fairly quickly. They are nice stories (some are horrific).
I wondered if it is an evolutionary phenomenon to help us cope better with things like death that some have the ingrained wish to continue believing those stories. I sometimes wish I could.
Observing the world, it's fairly clear to me that things often "just happen" and nobody really gives a crap about the horrible stuff going on. If there was anyone who cared at all, especially someone omniscient and omnipotent, it would have stopped by now. Free will isn't really the "get out of jail" card as is commonly advertised. (I don't really believe we have free will, at least not how it is commonly defined. We have the ability to react to certain things, in a certain way but stuff just...happens. Unfortunately. And there's nothing anyone can do about it.)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said we have free will as Adam and Eve did, before the fall. We are currently free, free to do what we want to do, what we prefer. A bear acts like a bear. A bird acts like a bird. Sinful man, acts like sinful man and wants nothing to do with an omniscient perfect God. We are in effect, dead in our trespasses and our sins.

Ephesians 2:
[1] And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
UMP is offline  
post #14 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,456
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyprime View Post
But then everything was supposed to be ok after Jesus died for our sins I thought?
In any case, I found the Old Testament stories fascinating as a child (also Greek myths) but grew out of them. Fairly quickly. They are nice stories (some are horrific).
@inmyprime

I totally get what you're trying to do, and I respect that and I respect you.

However all you're going to get from the Bible thumpers is more nonsensical scripture. Your logical, pointed, rational questions are (to them) nothing more than an excuse to to keep right on preaching.
browser is offline  
post #15 of 592 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Moderator
 
EleGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 31,523
Re: God: Summing it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr The Other View Post
It seems there are three main options.
1) There is no God - Atheist
2) There is a God, who we can start to understand through spiritual humility - Abrahamic faith
3) There is a God. He sits on a cloud, started work on making the world on a Monday and wrote everything literally in a book (in American English, using old British English words) and He agrees with me that everyone else is wrong.
Now, let's all just get along.
You left out the pagan faiths. They believe that the power of "gods" exist is many things, in different degrees.
EleGirl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GOD UMP Politics and Religion 385 02-14-2017 02:55 PM
Is God everywhere? Personal Politics and Religion 59 02-07-2017 01:06 PM
Separated and Waiting on husband or God? Corpuswife Relationships and Spirituality 25 02-04-2016 09:54 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome