The O'Reilly Factor Debacle - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prodigal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My side of the street
Posts: 2,695
The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

It appears that 30-plus advertisers (major advertisers such as pharmaceutical companies) have pulled their ads from O'Reilly's show. I assume they won't advertise on other Fox programs either. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you think about this. Some are of the opinion that this is some sort of conspiracy being led by Democrats and The New York Times due to still being soured on Hillary's loss. Others claim O'Reilly has been a bit of a perv for years and is getting what he deserves. I imagine some of this is being blown out of proportion, but it sounds like many women were sexually harassed or bullied by O'Reilly, who offered more air time to those women who would "accommodate" him.


I refuse to make anyone a priority in my life who considers me nothing more than an option.

You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.
Prodigal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 59
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

I have zero sympathy for Papa Bear or Fox Network. I'm sure others will make him a victim. Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
troubledinma is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Member
 
rockon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: land of liquid sunshine (Florida)
Posts: 871
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

I am usually very suspicious of claims of sexual harassment until proven beyond a doubt. I have witnessed many careers and family lives literally destroyed by false allegations.

But with the sheer number of allegations, millions of dollars already paid (hush money?) and what appears as a culture of harassment I'm not so sure this time.
rockon is online now  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 2,897
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

The advertisers haven't pulled from Fox, only from O'Reilly, so Fox is shuffling ads around currently. That could still change.

Personally, I don't like O'Reilly. I don't watch Fox News. Still, I think it appears that this is likely part of the Media Matters campaign against any program that isn't extremist left. Look at what's being done to YouTube right now, which is even more concerning, as YouTube is the new frontier for media, and the largest platform out there.

I don't know anyone who actually thinks that because X company bought advertisements on Y program, then they endorse every thing host Z does behind closed doors, that they couldn't possibly have known about. This is false moral preening. Virtue signalling, and it's not even genuine.

As to what I think about the allegations, I wouldn't be surprised. But I believe in innocent until proven guilty (or at least until there's some serious evidence) and right now O'Reilly has responded by claiming that there has never even been an anonymous HR report against him, let alone one with an actual accuser, so I'm dubious. Women lie. Especially when they get angry, jealous, etc. And IME they are far more likely to lie to authority figures to extort someone, than a man is. (Not that men don't do it)

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,418
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Au contraire, advertising boycotts has been very successful against icons like Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, etc.

They don't endorse what Rush says but it's a bad thing to be associated...
john117 is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Fozzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,681
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 View Post
Au contraire, advertising boycotts has been very successful against icons like Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, etc.

They don't endorse what Rush says but it's a bad thing to be associated...
They are successful, and it's almost a shame. I remember boycotts by Jerry Falwell and the like. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. Unfortunately, all it does it give more power and credibility to extremists.

Darling it's better down where it's wetter, take it from me! --- Sebastian
Fozzy is online now  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Member
 
john117's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 11,418
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

They work, and that's all there is to it...

Thanks to corporate media, boycotts are easy. The typical "news / talk" station has 21 hours a day of right wing talent, not too difficult to find boycotees.
john117 is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,285
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 View Post
They work, and that's all there is to it...

Thanks to corporate media, boycotts are easy. The typical "news / talk" station has 21 hours a day of right wing talent, not too difficult to find boycotees.
but isn't this capitalism at its finest moment? The market / money will determine what's available and in what quantity.

OTOH, if O'Reilly were really ALL THAT, he could be like HBO and make his money off subscriptions....... like Sarah Palin tried to do.

If you were an SAHM, staying at home because sexual harassment forced you out of the workplace, the last thing you want to do is to spend you precious last few dollars at a company that is supporting a sexual harasser.
NextTimeAround is online now  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Prodigal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My side of the street
Posts: 2,695
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

I think pulling advertising from his show could end his career - at least at Fox. I haven't watched his show since 2009. I got tired of him interrupting his guests. So much for "the no spin zone."

He claims he paid out the money to protect his children from the fallout. Sounds bogus to me. C'mon .... $13M to shut down possible fallout. I'm not buying what he's shoveling.

I refuse to make anyone a priority in my life who considers me nothing more than an option.

You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.
Prodigal is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 10,435
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Fozzy
I don't know exactly when - but right around the end of President Obamas first year in office I watched an episode of The Factor - Bill O's show. In that Episode there was a discussion of the economy and how the President had performed - regarding economic policy - in his first year in office.

Two of Fox's beautiful female commentators savaged the Pres. One gave him an F, the other a D-. And Bill said: I disagree, he inherited a huge mess and has mostly averted disaster, I give him a solid B. My reaction was to grade Bill O, as having an A for being fair.

That said, I have read a lot of stuff regarding his behavior off camera. In addition to the harassment stuff he is alleged to have:
Aggressively pressed the church to excommunicate his wife as her second marriage isn't valid. While technically true (because she and Bill never got their marriage annulled it was long and produced two children) the Catholic Church doesn't make a habit of excommunicating parishioners who remarry.
Spent a lot of time and money trying to get his wife's second husband fired from his job as a police detective.
And this last bit - isn't just alleged - it is a matter of fact as determined by family court. During the divorce, Bill and his first wife had a lot of disagreements about custody. A social worker was appointed by the court to be their impartial arbiter. Bill hired that social worker at a six figure salary and she became the kids defacto nanny - without resigning as court appointed arbiter. When the courts discovered this - they promptly replaced her.

Several of the women he harassed tape recorded him. And his recent defense is to claim that his complainants never went to HR. If you would like to get a genuine feel for how HR functions in that 'type' of environment, read the blog by a female Uber engineer. Sure - Fox isn't Uber. But if one considers that the top two guys at Fox - Ailes and Bill O, seem to have set a certain tone - it just doesn't shock me that no one went to HR.

I find it hard to feel sympathy for him regarding the boycott. And don't consider the folks boycotting him to be 'extremists'.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
They are successful, and it's almost a shame. I remember boycotts by Jerry Falwell and the like. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. Unfortunately, all it does it give more power and credibility to extremists.



Last edited by MEM2020; 04-06-2017 at 09:44 PM.
MEM2020 is online now  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Fozzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,681
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM2020 View Post
Fozzy
I don't know exactly when - but right around the end of President Obamas first year in office I watched an episode of The Factor - Bill O's show. In that Episode there was a discussion of the economy and how the President had performed - regarding economic policy - in his first year in office.

Two of Fox's beautiful female commentators savaged the Pres. One gave him an F, the other a D-. And Bill said: I disagree, he inherited a huge mess and has mostly averted disaster, I give him a solid B. My reaction was to grade Bill O, as having an A for being fair.

That said, I have read a lot of stuff regarding his behavior off camera. In addition to the harassment stuff he is alleged to have:
Aggressively pressed the church to excommunicate his wife as her second marriage isn't valid. While technically true (because she and Bill never got their marriage annulled it was long and produced two children) the Catholic Church doesn't make a habit of excommunicating parishioners who remarry.
Spent a lot of time and money trying to get his wife's second husband fired from his job as a police detective.
And this last bit - isn't just alleged - it is a matter of fact as determined by family court. During the divorce, Bill and his first wife had a lot of disagreements about custody. A social worker was appointed by the court to be their impartial arbiter. Bill hired that social worker at a six figure salary and she became the kids defacto nanny - without resigning as court appointed arbiter. When the courts discovered this - they promptly replaced her.

Several of the women he harassed tape recorded him. And his recent defense is to claim that his complainants never went to HR. If you would like to get a genuine feel for how HR functions in that 'type' of environment, read the blog by a female Uber engineer. Sure - Fox isn't Uber. But if one considers that the top two guys at Fox - Ailes and Bill O, seem to have set a certain tone - it just doesn't shock me that no one went to HR.

I find it hard to feel sympathy for him regarding the boycott. And don't consider the folks boycotting him to be 'extremists'.
I'd be the last person to defend O'Reilly. I think he's an ass. But the thing is, that's his job. He, and every other talking head on cable news is paid to be a giant hemorrhoid. Sponsors know that, and line up with their advertising dollars anyway. EVERY single one of them will go off the deep end at some point, so why don't we just pre-emptively boycott all of them now and save time?

People know what they're tuning in to. They know these people are megalomaniacs, firebrands, bomb-throwers, and worse. That's why they have TV shows.

And I've yet to see a fundamentalist church moral outrage group, media watchdog, angry mom organization or anything of the like that wasn't extremist. I think we should lock all of the outrageous and the outraged together in a cargo ship and sail them all to Antarctica.


Edit to add: Regarding O'Reilly's personal life---I believe he probably did all of that stuff. I also think Tom Cruise is second in command of a dangerous cult that abuses and defrauds its own members. Yet I don't see people lining up to boycott Mission Impossible movies.

Darling it's better down where it's wetter, take it from me! --- Sebastian
Fozzy is online now  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:28 PM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 908
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

In the final analysis, advertisers will go where the audience is. Whatever short term effect they hope to have with a boycott, its another example of international corporation attempted manipulation or the public via controlling (squelching) free speech. Besides, what would it make a woman who was willing to "accommodate him" for more air time?

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.

Last edited by VladDracul; 04-06-2017 at 10:37 PM.
VladDracul is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 10,435
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Fozzy
Yes to all that especially the bit about cruise and Scientology. It stuns me that he accepts all this 'free' labor from Sea Org folks who are clearly brainwashed and badly treated.

And the youtubes of him addressing the faithful are truly scary. But hey I'm just one more in a long line of 'suppressive people' who are enemies of Scientology. FWIW I found the South Park episode on Scientology hilarious.

One last thing about bill o. He has this big theme about families and how the breakdown of family is why so many minority communities have many social issues. But he didn't just get divorced. He went as scorched earth on his ex as a rich, powerful man can. He didn't just TELL his ex wife to go to hell. He did his best to actually SEND her there via the excommunication angle.

Just seems a bit inconsistent with his on air messaging.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
I'd be the last person to defend O'Reilly. I think he's an ass. But the thing is, that's his job. He, and every other talking head on cable news is paid to be a giant hemorrhoid. Sponsors know that, and line up with their advertising dollars anyway. EVERY single one of them will go off the deep end at some point, so why don't we just pre-emptively boycott all of them now and save time?

People know what they're tuning in to. They know these people are megalomaniacs, firebrands, bomb-throwers, and worse. That's why they have TV shows.

And I've yet to see a fundamentalist church moral outrage group, media watchdog, angry mom organization or anything of the like that wasn't extremist. I think we should lock all of the outrageous and the outraged together in a cargo ship and sail them all to Antarctica.


Edit to add: Regarding O'Reilly's personal life---I believe he probably did all of that stuff. I also think Tom Cruise is second in command of a dangerous cult that abuses and defrauds its own members. Yet I don't see people lining up to boycott Mission Impossible movies.
MEM2020 is online now  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Haiku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 3,416
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

I don't mind O'Reilly's show or Fox News. When reporting things of a political nature they're both significantly better than CNN.

.........><)))#">
Haiku is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,611
Re: The O'Reilly Factor Debacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by john117 View Post
Au contraire, advertising boycotts has been very successful against icons like Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Laura, etc.

They don't endorse what Rush says but it's a bad thing to be associated...
I'm not a fan of Rush but he has the most successful radio show in the country. Not sure what you are talking about.

By the way as soon as conservatives start doing it I suspect liberals will be the first to scream fascism.

If O'Reilly did it he should be fired and prosecuted. The church of public opinion is never a good place to punish people because there is too much potential for abuse.

Partisans make fools of all of us. So tired of it.
sokillme is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome