President Trump fires FBI Director Comey - Page 3 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 107Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #31 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,078
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karole View Post
At the time that Bill Clinton fired FBI Director Sessions, weren't the Clintons also under investigation for Whitewater and travel gate?
Not Travelgate, but it was boiling.

Yes to Whitewater. More interestingly, he was removed from office the day before Vince Foster was murdered and a TON of documents mysteriously disappeared from Foster's office and magically showed up in the Clintons' possession...


Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North East US
Posts: 386
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

He should have been fired for making this statement alone.

After laying out all of the the e-mail information containing classified, secret and top secret at the time they were sent or received. and doing so while in hostile territory. He drew the conclusion that she should not be indicted but then added this.

"To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now."

So for the rest of us regular people we'd have consequences.
Always Learning is offline  
post #33 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 66
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlor View Post
Trump can legally terminate Comey at any time. This isn't unparalleled. It's not a Constitutional Crisis. It's business as usual. Bill Clinton did the same with FBI Director Will Sessions, 5 years into Sessions' 10 year contract.

Honestly, Comey needed to go. He was universally reviled--by D's for not falling on his sword for Hillary, and by R's for not prosecuting after publicly demonstrating the guilt of a certain official--and had openly shown that he would not prosecute officials of high-office, which is not good in a republic. I don't know that his replacement will do so either... it's been a long time since treated the Washington elites legally the same as we treat the plebs. That needs to change...

As to the "Russians!" nonsense, it's just noise. The Hilary Campaign coordinated with the Ukrainian Government to try to beat Trump. It is publicly known that a foreign government attempted to interfere in the US elections, to aid the Democrat Candidate, and we're only worried about the Russia--Trump connection that is still completely without evidence, because it's not about free elections in a free people's Republic, it's about the fact that the CHOSEN ONE lost, even though it was her turn.
Bill Clinton fired Sessions because Sessions was an ethical nightmare. Trump was under FBI investigation. That you would not see the difference is not my problem. Now Trump, the next day, meets with Russian officials and blocks access for American media. Interesting. You would never accept a Democrat doing this.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
troubledinma is offline  
 
post #34 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 66
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Clinton is immaterial. Clinton is not in power. It's off topic.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
troubledinma is offline  
post #35 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Member
 
Rocky Mountain Yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 248
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledinma View Post
Bill Clinton fired Sessions because Sessions was an ethical nightmare.
Ha! Pot ... meet kettle!

As for Trump, I'm all for ferreting out whatever conflicts of interest he may be subject to. But whether Trump be guilty or innocent there, Comey needed to be shown the door. His exposure of deliberate, gross misconduct and accompanying decision to let it go was dereliction of duty.
Rocky Mountain Yeti is online now  
post #36 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,078
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledinma View Post
Bill Clinton fired Sessions because Sessions was an ethical nightmare. Trump was under FBI investigation. That you would not see the difference is not my problem. Now Trump, the next day, meets with Russian officials and blocks access for American media. Interesting. You would never accept a Democrat doing this.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
1. Clinton was under investigation.
2. Comey is an ethical nightmare as has been demonstrated. In fact, Sessions' big ethics violations were having the government install a security system on his property and also making trips to see his daughter on the Bureau's dime--both bad, but not even comparable to publicly stating that the Washington elites are above the laws that us Plebeians must follow.

They are actually quite analogous, if you're not a partisan stuck in I HATE THE OTHER TEAM AND EVERYTHING THEY DO IS EVIL AND MY TEAM IS WONDERFULmode.

Presidents (and other officials) meet with foreign officials and block media from covering the conversation all the time. I didn't freak out if Obama met with the Russians, and I'm not freaking out about Trump doing so. It's part of the job.

Just because you're a partisan doesn't mean you need to project your ridiculous "MY TEAM FIRST" attitude onto everyone else. Some of us actually want to see the rule of law re-established after decades of it being abdicated.

Seriously, your talking points sound like a fanatic of the Games in Rome. It was Blue vs Green then, and Blue vs Red now, but neither have changed.

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #37 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 66
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

I am not pro-Clinton at all. I have no "team." Whataboutism is not helpful. Clinton is still immaterial to the issue at hand. What had Comey done unethically, exactly? Chaffetz leaked his letter to Congress, throwing Comey under the bus. If Comey hadn't responded, he would have been fired immediately. Everyone's narratives about Comey have arbitrarily flipped. It's strange and a big red flag. Republicans loved Comey like a week ago and now they are saying he deserved to be fired for being too *easy* on HRC.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
troubledinma is offline  
post #38 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,078
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledinma View Post
I am not pro-Clinton at all. I have no "team." Whataboutism is not helpful. Clinton is still immaterial to the issue at hand. What had Comey done unethically, exactly? Chaffetz leaked his letter to Congress, throwing Comey under the bus. If Comey hadn't responded, he would have been fired immediately. Everyone's narratives about Comey have arbitrarily flipped. It's strange and a big red flag. Republicans loved Comey like a week ago and now they are saying he deserved to be fired for being too *easy* on HRC.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
I think I've been very clear about what he did. And I've been saying it, even here on these forums, since last July. I've stated it repeatedly in this thread. It is publicly available in video, audio, and written format on the internet. You can go the FBI website to review the publicly available documents. There is nothing more unethical in a police force, than for them to enforce the law only upon the weak and powerless, and to exempt the powerful and wealthy. Comey, acting as the head of the federal police force did exactly that, and he did it publicly. If you are going to continue to ignore that, and act as though the political class should be above the law, there's little we can have in common.

I think it's quite interesting that both parties switched positions on Comey overnight. Friday, the Dems were calling for his head, because he "cost Clinton the election" and today he was the Defender of Justice in America. Simultaneously, the R's were torn, because they hated him for what I've described, but loved him for going public in October. The Republican voters wanted him gone, the Republican officials were glad for his presence, due to his defense of their position as above the law. The Democrats seemed even more torn, as their voters wanted him gone while their officials were mixed on the subject. Now, they've completely flipped, and both the Democrat base, and their officials are defending Comey, because it is politically expedient, because they are without principles, because they must oppose Trump no matter what he does and because they need to carry on with the "TRUMP IS COLLUDING WITH THE RUSSIANS" narrative.

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #39 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 3,654
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledinma View Post
I am not pro-Clinton at all. I have no "team." Whataboutism is not helpful. Clinton is still immaterial to the issue at hand. What had Comey done unethically, exactly? Chaffetz leaked his letter to Congress, throwing Comey under the bus. If Comey hadn't responded, he would have been fired immediately. Everyone's narratives about Comey have arbitrarily flipped. It's strange and a big red flag. Republicans loved Comey like a week ago and now they are saying he deserved to be fired for being too *easy* on HRC.

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward."
Both sides have done a 180 on Comey. The why is more of a duh. The left goes after Trump with both barrels, no matter what he does, hence they now love Comey. The right is now following Trumps lead. Not really red flags, just the obvious reaction when the leader of one side does something more than tie their shoes.

Guys in the government, like Comey, are why @Kivlor and others are so upset with our government. HRC should be in jail right now, but the FBI director decided to not prosecute. If we don't prosecute those in power, when they break the law, the system already has failed, miserably failed. I don't know (neither does anyone on this board) what the Russians did during the election, though based on what is out there, I don't think it was illegal or cost HRC the election. Same with Trump's contact with the Russians. And based on how/what Putin is saying and doing right now, they either have buyers remorse or there never was anything there.
naiveonedave is offline  
post #40 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,898
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Do you not think if the Democrats had one iota of information confirming that Trump and/or his administration had colluded with the Russians, that it would have been leaked by now? Seriously, if they had any evidence at all, it would have been found by now and released and they would be trying to impeach Trump.

karole is online now  
post #41 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,859
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by karole View Post
Do you not think if the Democrats had one iota of information confirming that Trump and/or his administration had colluded with the Russians, that it would have been leaked by now? Seriously, if they had any evidence at all, it would have been found by now and released and they would be trying to impeach Trump.
Exactly. All the information we have is the reverse, where it was Clinton and Obama who were in contact with the Russians. But that is conveniently ignored by the mainstream media.

Trump fired Comey upon the recommendation letter from the Deputy Atty General who outlined in detail why he should be fired. The central issue was his handling of the Hillary investigation.

James Comey fired: Read the memo sacking the FBI Director in full | The Independent

Were it a Dem firing Comey, this would be the biggest celebration for Dems we've ever seen. Instead we are seeing yet another chapter in The Resistance where they do everything possible to destroy Trump's ability to govern. They are actively working to undermine him. The Dems know no shame.
Thor is offline  
post #42 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,078
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Exactly. All the information we have is the reverse, where it was Clinton and Obama who were in contact with the Russians. But that is conveniently ignored by the mainstream media.

Trump fired Comey upon the recommendation letter from the Deputy Atty General who outlined in detail why he should be fired. The central issue was his handling of the Hillary investigation.

James Comey fired: Read the memo sacking the FBI Director in full | The Independent

Were it a Dem firing Comey, this would be the biggest celebration for Dems we've ever seen. Instead we are seeing yet another chapter in The Resistance where they do everything possible to destroy Trump's ability to govern. They are actively working to undermine him. The Dems know no shame.
Speaking of Russian ties... Podesta's firm lobbied for a Russian Bank, and he personally held 75,000 shares in Joule, a Russian investment firm, which was also a major backer of a group that he sat on the board for... we could go on with more DEMONSTRATED ties with foreign governments, including the fact that Trump's opponent was taking money from Russian investment groups and granting them control US uranium supplies. On and on about who's really tied to the Russians, and it's not Trump.

There's a ton to dislike about Trump, but again, this Russia business is just noise.

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #43 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Member
 
VladDracul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 943
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Like Karole said, if there was even a slight preponderance of evidence that Trump colluded with the Russians, the Democraps would be sporting it around like Lewinsky's dress. I'd thunk that by now they'd figured it out that no matter what they say about Trump, they'll never get a redo on the past election.

If you don't embody controversy, what you say will become just another part of the media driven culture of stifling thought and debate about issues.
VladDracul is offline  
post #44 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,521
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #45 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:44 PM
Member
 
10th Engineer Harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,142
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
If Trump had waited until next year the left would still be in some kind of outrage over it. No matter what Trump does he does it because he is an evil misogynistic white supremacist gay hating islamophobe who wants your grandma to die from lack of health care and your kids to starve in the polluted streets while he and his buddies eat caviar.
That actually describes the soulless a-hole pretty well.

-10th Engineer Harrison.

"“Your brunette,” was how Gleed had described her. What had given him that idea? Had she made some remark that he’d construed as complimentary because it had contained no reference to outsize ears?" - "And Then There Were None", Eric Frank Russell, 1951.
10th Engineer Harrison is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump and communication katiecrna Politics and Religion 44 02-18-2017 07:15 AM
Bannon Anon here Politics and Religion 224 12-01-2016 11:44 AM
How could a "moron" win the Presidency of the United States? tech-novelist Politics and Religion 195 11-22-2016 09:59 AM
This is about Trump, and Trump alone samyeagar Politics and Religion 54 08-13-2016 12:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome