President Trump fires FBI Director Comey - Page 6 - Talk About Marriage
Politics and Religion This is the place to discuss politics, morality, religion, and anything controversial.

User Tag List

 117Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,429
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aine View Post
So what is with that, can the President do that? Isn't he himself (Trump) under investigation by the FBI or is all of this 'false news' or maybe 'alternative facts.'
British politics are so boring comparatively.
The President is the chief executive officer of the country. It's why we call him Prez.

Technically, he can fire the head of any executive department at will, although Congress can punish him by withholding funding for certain departments. The heads of the FBI, IRS, CIA, NSA, National Bank, FDA...they all work for him, and so technically he can fire them at will.

He has to be more careful when he fires anyone from the Justice Department, as that is run by the United States Attorney General, who is nominated by the President but confirmed by the Senate, and is also a member of the President's cabinet. The U.S. Attorney General, Jeff Sessions, is in a unique position in that, as the chief law enforcement officer of the United States, he can, on his own initiative, investigate the president, and bring charges of misbehavior against his boss to present to Congress. But he hasn't done that of course. He really hasn't done anything in regards to upholding the law.

bandit.45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 3,659
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
I'm sure that some parts of press coverage is over the top to increase ratings (i.e., increase media revenue) but not all of it. Much of the problem was self created and will not illegal on face value has some real issues in terms of optics.

My guess - the special counsel will likely find that Russia played a passive role in attempting to manipulate our elections without concluding that they, Russia, were ultimately successful. However, no real collusion will be established between Russia and the Trump campaign (the cloud of suspicion will exist without an answer). I do think that much will be uncovered concerning Mike Flynn which could lead to prosecution (of him). It will be very difficult to prove obstruction of justice in the firing of James Comey, however it will likely result in a Trump loyalists falling on his/her sword to put this matter to rest.

The real issue will never be prosecuted, President Trumps economic interest and how this all relates to that major underlying issue.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
so what you are saying is that you are assuming DT is guilty, even with no evidence. All speculation and lib talking points. Got it.

Exactly how is DT guilty or even suspect financially? Egad man, Clintons and BO got rich, due to being presidents.
naiveonedave is offline  
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,537
President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by naiveonedave View Post
so what you are saying is that you are assuming DT is guilty, even with no evidence. All speculation and lib talking points. Got it.



Exactly how is DT guilty or even suspect financially? Egad man, Clintons and BO got rich, due to being presidents.


It's not a matter of guilt, it is a matter of activities that might constitute a conflict of interest. Unfortunately, these lines are blurry for POTUS, whereas high level cabinet positions and for congress there is clarity. This is why I think Flynn will eventual have a legal problem. But, with Trump this will just be a cloud over his head right up the election in 2020. Is this partisan? There is some of that as there will be no matter who is running for office. He, Trump, did create some of this himself.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Ikaika; 05-18-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Ikaika is offline  
 
post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Kivlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Rural Midwest
Posts: 3,110
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
It's not a matter of guilt, it is a matter of activities that might constitute a conflict of interest. Unfortunately, these lines are blurry for POTUS, whereas high level cabinet positions and for congress there is clarity. This is why I think Flynn will eventual have a legal problem. But, with Trump this will just be a cloud over his head right up the election in 2020. Is this partisan? There is some of that as there will be no matter who is running for office. He, Trump, did create some of this himself.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Even with Flynn, the Russia stuff looks pretty harmless so far. He's definitely in legal trouble over Turkey though. May end up in prison before it's over.

Do you hear the people sing / Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people / Who are climbing to the light.
For the wretched of the earth / There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end / And the sun will rise...
Kivlor is online now  
post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,861
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

There was no mention of Russian involvement with Trump until he surprised everyone by winning the election. If there had been any evidence prior to the election, it would have been leaked or officially announced. Hillary's camp invented this story immediately after losing the election.

This is nothing but a hit job on Trump by the left. They are trying everything they can think of to make it impossible for him to carry out his duties as he was elected to do. The left is not debating any policy based on facts, they are simply trying to take Trump down. This is quite a bit different than opposing policies which they disagree with, this is an attempt to destroy a duly elected official's ability to govern. Pretty close to subversion really. It would be a coup except it would be Pence who steps in if Trump steps down, not a Dem.

How long ago was it the entire left was howling for the firing of Comey or even prosecuting him? The left has doubled down since the election with the hatred and insanity.
Thor is online now  
post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Steve1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: The Big O / S-Hai
Posts: 1,046
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
There was no mention of Russian involvement with Trump until he surprised everyone by winning the election. If there had been any evidence prior to the election, it would have been leaked or officially announced. Hillary's camp invented this story immediately after losing the election.

This is nothing but a hit job on Trump by the left. They are trying everything they can think of to make it impossible for him to carry out his duties as he was elected to do. The left is not debating any policy based on facts, they are simply trying to take Trump down. This is quite a bit different than opposing policies which they disagree with, this is an attempt to destroy a duly elected official's ability to govern. Pretty close to subversion really. It would be a coup except it would be Pence who steps in if Trump steps down, not a Dem.

How long ago was it the entire left was howling for the firing of Comey or even prosecuting him? The left has doubled down since the election with the hatred and insanity.
Even if you're right, didn't Trump do the same thing to Obama when he kept talking about how Obama was not born in the US? Trump even talked about how he sent his men to Hawaii to investigate and it is "unbelievable what they have found".
Steve1000 is offline  
post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,872
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld View Post
This is good, from David Brooks:

We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.
This is the difference between Trump and Hillary.
If Trump was in a room with an ordinary Joe and an emigrant and there were ten loaves of bread on the table,Trump would take nine and then tell the Joe to watch out for the emigrant,he will steal your bread.
Hillary would deny there was any bread on the table.
Different politicians but same outcome.
Andy1001 is offline  
post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,537
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
There was no mention of Russian involvement with Trump until he surprised everyone by winning the election. If there had been any evidence prior to the election, it would have been leaked or officially announced. Hillary's camp invented this story immediately after losing the election.



This is nothing but a hit job on Trump by the left. They are trying everything they can think of to make it impossible for him to carry out his duties as he was elected to do. The left is not debating any policy based on facts, they are simply trying to take Trump down. This is quite a bit different than opposing policies which they disagree with, this is an attempt to destroy a duly elected official's ability to govern. Pretty close to subversion really. It would be a coup except it would be Pence who steps in if Trump steps down, not a Dem.



How long ago was it the entire left was howling for the firing of Comey or even prosecuting him? The left has doubled down since the election with the hatred and insanity.


I don't think this is necessarily true.

My hope is with an independent investigation, there can be at least some level of clarity in timelines of events. I would say that I doubt that there was much direct collusion (after the campaign got rid of Manafort) between the Trump campaign and Russian operatives. However, I do believe that Russia did what they could to manipulate our elections. Were these actions the cause that lead to Trump winning (Hillary losing)? Probably not, but it may have been a contributing factor. By not investigating we are left with too many unanswered questions which could be just as damaging to his administration.

If nothing else at least we can begin to recognize the vulnerabilities in the system and do what is necessary to keep Russian influence to a minimum in future elections.

The problem with firing Comey is he (Comey) is now free to share information that may not necessarily be impeachment worthy, but could be damaging to his reelection bid in 2020.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,861
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

The most the Russians did was hack DNC emails which then led to the light of day being put upon Hillary's campaign colluding with the DNC to rig the primaries. However it is not at all proven the Russians did that hack. There is more evidence pointing away from Russia than towards it.

If the hacks led to Trump winning it wasn't due to any hacking of the election. No voting machines were hacked. The most one could claim is people saw the truth about Hillary and the DNC which led them to be sure to show up to vote for Trump.

We and every other significant country on the planet attempt to sway elections in foreign countries. I am not outraged as if this is some unique or sinister event, if there is proof it was the Russians. I think chances are 95% it wasn't the Russians.

I hope the investigation looks at the big picture, including Hillary's campaign, the DNC, and the RNC. Let's make this equal opportunity, not some cleverly crafted political hit job disguised as impartial.
Thor is online now  
post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,861
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

The timeline indicates the Dems are engaged in a totally dishonest political hit job against Trump. Comey seems to be playing along, too.

February 14, 2017 Comey meets with Trump. Allegedly Trump asked Comey to drop the Flynn matter.

May 3, 2017 Director Comey, under oath, testified in front of Congress he had not experienced any attempt to stop the FBI from investigating Russia-Trump.

May 11, 2017 Acting FBI Director McCabe testifies, under oath, to Congress that there had been no effort to impede FBI investigations.

So now which is it? If Trump pressured Comey on Feb 14th, both Comey and McCabe lied under oath to Congress that no pressure was put on Comey or anybody else in the FBI to end any investigation.

Furthermore, the leftist media, NYT in particular, reported completely falsely that Comey was fired shortly after asking for more resources to investigate Russia-Trump. No such request for more resources was made. Now the latest hubub from NYT is over the memo Comey allegedly wrote himself and then some unnamed source leaked to the NYT via voice phone call. NYT said they haven't seen any memo themselves.

Right now the NYT and the left need to either put up or stfu. Objectively it appears they are lying and smearing without anything to back it up. Either testify under oath and provide verifiable documentation or go away.

Thor is online now  
post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,861
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

I'm curious what people think of whether President Hillary would be impeached for what she did? Her server was absolutely a felony. Simply existing with classified information on it is a crime by definition. The Russia plutonium deal stinks of corruption. The Clinton Foundation has every indication of being pay-to-play corruption when she was SecState and the presumed next POTUS.

Would anybody on the left who is in a lather about Russia-Trump be in support of impeachment had Hillary won? I'd bet my house the answer is no, not a single one. Not the NYT, not CNN, not Schumer, not Pelosi.

This Trump-hate is mental illness.
Thor is online now  
post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,537
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The most the Russians did was hack DNC emails which then led to the light of day being put upon Hillary's campaign colluding with the DNC to rig the primaries. However it is not at all proven the Russians did that hack. There is more evidence pointing away from Russia than towards it.
Can you cite this verifiable evidence?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
If the hacks led to Trump winning it wasn't due to any hacking of the election. No voting machines were hacked. The most one could claim is people saw the truth about Hillary and the DNC which led them to be sure to show up to vote for Trump.
To say the hacks were the reason Hillary lost is impossible to prove. What is easier to suggests, is that it was a factor.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
We and every other significant country on the planet attempt to sway elections in foreign countries. I am not outraged as if this is some unique or sinister event, if there is proof it was the Russians. I think chances are 95% it wasn't the Russians.
I agree, we have done our own meddling and not always to our benefit in the long run. Nevertheless, we need to be concerned with those that do not have our best interest that attempt to manipulate our process, regardless of the end results or how much of a contribution the involvement lent to the overall process. I'm not outraged, but I am concerned.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I hope the investigation looks at the big picture, including Hillary's campaign, the DNC, and the RNC. Let's make this equal opportunity, not some cleverly crafted political hit job disguised as impartial.

As with any investigation, usually there is a narrowly defined objective. If in the process, their shows some ancillary evidence concerning the Hillary campaign, then by all means open up a separate investigation.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,537
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The timeline indicates the Dems are engaged in a totally dishonest political hit job against Trump. Comey seems to be playing along, too.



February 14, 2017 Comey meets with Trump. Allegedly Trump asked Comey to drop the Flynn matter.



May 3, 2017 Director Comey, under oath, testified in front of Congress he had not experienced any attempt to stop the FBI from investigating Russia-Trump.



May 11, 2017 Acting FBI Director McCabe testifies, under oath, to Congress that there had been no effort to impede FBI investigations.



So now which is it? If Trump pressured Comey on Feb 14th, both Comey and McCabe lied under oath to Congress that no pressure was put on Comey or anybody else in the FBI to end any investigation.



Furthermore, the leftist media, NYT in particular, reported completely falsely that Comey was fired shortly after asking for more resources to investigate Russia-Trump. No such request for more resources was made. Now the latest hubub from NYT is over the memo Comey allegedly wrote himself and then some unnamed source leaked to the NYT via voice phone call. NYT said they haven't seen any memo themselves.



Right now the NYT and the left need to either put up or stfu. Objectively it appears they are lying and smearing without anything to back it up. Either testify under oath and provide verifiable documentation or go away.


I will wait to see the full timeline after the report has been finalized by independent counsel. These are pieced together by news reports but are incomplete as far as a full investigation.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,537
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I'm curious what people think of whether President Hillary would be impeached for what she did? Her server was absolutely a felony. Simply existing with classified information on it is a crime by definition. The Russia plutonium deal stinks of corruption. The Clinton Foundation has every indication of being pay-to-play corruption when she was SecState and the presumed next POTUS.



Would anybody on the left who is in a lather about Russia-Trump be in support of impeachment had Hillary won? I'd bet my house the answer is no, not a single one. Not the NYT, not CNN, not Schumer, not Pelosi.



This Trump-hate is mental illness.


This is meaningless, Hillary was not elected president.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Ikaika is offline  
post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Thor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 8,861
Re: President Trump fires FBI Director Comey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
Can you cite this verifiable evidence?

To say the hacks were the reason Hillary lost is impossible to prove. What is easier to suggests, is that it was a factor.

I agree, we have done our own meddling and not always to our benefit in the long run. Nevertheless, we need to be concerned with those that do not have our best interest that attempt to manipulate our process, regardless of the end results or how much of a contribution the involvement lent to the overall process. I'm not outraged, but I am concerned.


As with any investigation, usually there is a narrowly defined objective. If in the process, their shows some ancillary evidence concerning the Hillary campaign, then by all means open up a separate investigation.
What, I have to cite evidence that there is no evidence? There is plenty of evidence which suggests the Russians were not involved. While some argue the fingerprints of the Russians are in the hacks, our very own spy agencies and cyber security corporations say those traces are easily faked. So there is zero, zilch, no evidence whatsoever that the Russians hacked the DNC. There are numerous sources stating the Russians were not the source, that it was a DNC insider. It may be the DNC staffer who showed up dead last year.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Trump or any of his staff had any form of collusion with the Russians. None. Zilch. Some of his staff had legitimate contacts with foreign governments, as did Hillary's campaign, as did Obama's 8 years ago, as did Bush's 8 years prior to that. There's nothing inherently wrong or illegal about it. It is standard procedure. And, there is zero evidence of any collusion between Trump's camp and the Russians to try to sway the election.

My point about how the leaked emails affected the election is that the most we can say is that the truth became known, and that truth may have encouraged some Trump votes. Did it seal the deal for Trump? Did it help Trump? Who knows. The point is that there is no allegation that the Russians hacked voting machines or released false information in an attempt to get Trump elected. Whoever leaked the emails did nothing more than make the truth more widely known. That isn't even necessarily a bad thing.
Thor is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trump and communication katiecrna Politics and Religion 44 02-18-2017 07:15 AM
Bannon Anon here Politics and Religion 224 12-01-2016 11:44 AM
How could a "moron" win the Presidency of the United States? tech-novelist Politics and Religion 195 11-22-2016 09:59 AM
This is about Trump, and Trump alone samyeagar Politics and Religion 54 08-13-2016 12:29 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome