In 1989 after a long progression into alchoholism I finally gave up, went to re-hab (3rd time) and got my life together
No one but you can figure out if you are a heavy drinker or an
honest to God Alcoholic. I spent many years as a heavy drinker
Bargaining with myself all along (don't drink before 5, no hard liquor etc) as time went on I fudged on my rules more and more until it all collapsed
i am recently separated, looks like it could be the big D. That
has made me actually crave alcohol for the first time in 20+
But, I knew what to do. I found a mens AA meeting (90% are divorced) and started going, keeps me from craving the demon rum and I am making friends
If you are concerned about drinking, it doesn't have to be AA
(it's hard to walk in those doors) talk to a counselor.
If we depend on booze to get thru life, it ain't the booze, it's
our unbalanced lives that are the problem
For the past 3 years my STBXH was on the roller coaster ride of drinking, then stopping, rehab, detox, etc. Now after the 4th time around he's finally going to AA, sometimes twice a day. He says it helps a lot. I'm not surprised 90% of the men are divorce and I'm willing to bet the remaining 10% are headed in that direction.
I hope my STBXH can stay sober, not only for himself but for our son too. Our son is all he has left. He has managed to completely alienate our daughter and I've filed for divorce. He's broke, he's unemployed and telling me that he might not have a place to live soon.
3 years ago he had a family, a business and had inherited a sizeable amount of money, all of which he lost. Why is it all gone now? Because of alcohol.
I don't know if he thinks it was worth it but I'd say it wasn't. I like to drink as much as anyone and believe me, there are drinkers and there are alcoholics and if you are an alcoholic then you'd better stop drinking because there's no happy ending for you.