My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not - Page 8 - Talk About Marriage
Relationships and Spirituality The place to look for faith based solutions.

User Tag List

 193Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #106 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Member
 
RaiderGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: south
Posts: 48
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Spirituality is a connection to the creator however you understand Him, religion is crowd control.

RaiderGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 508
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderGirl View Post
Spirituality is a connection to the creator however you understand Him, religion is crowd control.
That's one definition, but one can be "spiritual" (which I take to simply mean the recognition of the "greater-ness" of what is around us: nature, the societal machine, the big picture, if you will) without having to believe in any creator, and certainly not a proper noun personal version. That's one of the statements that theists and religious don't understand is judgmental. They imply atheists are immoral, unspiritual automatons. Go look up the video of Oprah with Diana Nyad: when Nyad stated how she could look at nature and the universe in awe, Oprah said, "well, then I don't call you an atheist." It was offensive. To be very vulgar, it'd be like telling Oprah, "I saw you pee standing up once, so now I don't call you a woman." To insinuate that only theists/religous can know the difference between wrong and right, or be able to consider a sunset beautiful, is arrogant and pompous, and is but one more method by which you can insult an atheist and get this "why are you so angry?" type of attitude. It's because there are many, many ways in which we are insulted, directly and indirectly.
changedbeliefs is offline  
post #108 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by labuffalo View Post
How anyone can divorce their spouse because they found the light and now believe in something instead of nothing; that life has no purpose other than to behave like absolute savages and the animals around us is deplorable.

FYI, this is not even remotely close to what atheists actually think or believe.
MarriedManInHis40s is offline  
 
post #109 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Member
 
ConanHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Abroad. Currently Arizona.
Posts: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop View Post
Another shining example of your Christian values.
He is not representing my God.
Posted via Mobile Device
ConanHub is offline  
post #110 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Forum Supporter
 
Thundarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 4,980
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Some posters are projecting and thinking in extremes. New flash; good people will get along with good people no matter their religious beliefs. Extremist will only get along with those who think exactly like they do.

I'm as deep as a puddle. Holland.
Thundarr is offline  
post #111 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Member
 
ConanHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Abroad. Currently Arizona.
Posts: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Some posters are projecting and thinking in extremes. New flash; good people will get along with good people no matter their religious beliefs. Extremist will only get along with those who think exactly like they do.
Mostly truth here.
Posted via Mobile Device
ConanHub is offline  
post #112 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 729
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Your disdain for others is very Christian

That's not true.
Pooh Bear is offline  
post #113 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 729
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

I think it would be a curious exercise...and I'm not sure exactly how you could go about gathering the data...to determine just with what - at the heart of it - people have tried to justify "bad behavior." The thing about non-believers, though, is that their non-belief can't really justify anything. Specifically, "atheism" doesnt have any commands. There isn't an edict of atheism that says, "so go break the laws, kill people, etc..., because there is no god." It just says, "I don't believe in a god." What you do from there becomes personal accountability.

What difference does this make really? So you donít believe in god so your bad behavior is just bad behavior and you have to live with it. Whereas, someone who is religious and uses that religion to commit evil acts may think that it is justified but the society may say otherwise. Religious people also do some of the most compassionate, loving things for religious reasons as well. When you do compassionate, loving things you donít attribute it to a god. People have been religious for most of history and so you see all the violence and bad things that have been done in the name of religion for most of human existence. But people have changed too. I mean in the Hebrew Bible people were fighting over territory and there was a my God is better than your God sort of stuff was going on. But everybody believed in a God or Goddess. If they had not had God, would they have not fought over territory? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know.

And then political power structures throughout history have used religion to consolidate power. But religion is complicated. People can do the most destructive things or they can do the most loving things in the name of religion. There have been both throughout history.

People are pretty good at justifying all sorts of bad behavior irregardless of religion. Even when they are religious they can justify behavior that goes against their own religious beliefs.
Pooh Bear is offline  
post #114 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 729
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by changedbeliefs View Post
Please point out exactly where I'm being "judgmental" of anyone? And I'm not pointing out extreme cases of religious absurdity, I am calling out logical extensions (or actualy instances) of the horrific consequences of the full application of religion. Said in other words, just because someone doesn't act on every tenet of their religion, doesn't mean that their religion is not awful. There are likely billions of Muslims that do not, and would not, fly a plane into a building, but don't kid yourself that many of those DO believe in the tenets that direct it, and condone the actions of those that did. The problem is not, "do people really do this," the problem is, "is there a belief system that presents these problems"? Although the answer is a still-problematic, but somewhat mild "yes, some, but not all" to the first, the answer to the second is an "abso-fricking-lutely."
Ok. I think this is really judgemental and offensive:

What no believer here is going to understand, is that to critical thinkers, to non-believers, "people of faith" are virtually indistinguishable from the people in the insane asylum. You hear voices, you claim to be getting signs from beyond, you believe you can close your eyes and think thoughts and that your god will subsequently change reality based on your requests. Believers rise up, like you, and claim that "having faith" is some ethereal achievement, you are "thrilled" that he's "found Christ" as if it's truly an accomplishment. Deciding you're being watched over by an imaginary being is dysfunctional, I'm sorry, it just is. Tell me how it's different than deciding the Loch Ness Monster exists, or Big Foot, but now add in that those beings are actually personally interested in your life and well-being? Gah, I can't even continue, I can only imagine the half-****ed justifications you'll start ringing off...

You are being very disrespectful of religious people in this post. Why do you get to decide what is functional and what isn't? I would never be disrespectful towards you because you are an atheist. I would never say you belong in an insane asylum (and frankly that is kind of disrespectful towards the mentally ill as well). I would never derogate the fact that you don't believe in God and I would not go out of my way to compare your belief system to something ridiculous like the Loch Ness Monster. And I know, you don't think you have a belief system. But you can't really prove that God does not exist and I don't have to prove to you that God does exist. We can respect that we have different ways of seeing the world.

Last edited by Pooh Bear; 02-10-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Pooh Bear is offline  
post #115 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 AM
Member
 
ConanHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Abroad. Currently Arizona.
Posts: 7,581
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

It's ok Pooh. If anyone is being propelled by some "strange" voice or force, it is him.

He has expertly declared the vast, overwhelming majority of the earth insane. He doesn't seem too happy or balanced, at least not in his posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

ConanHub is offline  
post #116 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 729
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanHub View Post
It's ok Pooh. If anyone is being propelled by some "strange" voice or force, it is him.

He has expertly declared the vast, overwhelming majority of the earth insane. He doesn't seem too happy or balanced, at least not in his posts.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's not true, Conan. It's just some atheists get as extremist as some religious people are. Then they complain about the religious extremists.
Pooh Bear is offline  
post #117 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 AM
Member
 
ConanHub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Abroad. Currently Arizona.
Posts: 7,581
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

What's not true? He really doesn't seem very happy. ��
Posted via Mobile Device
ConanHub is offline  
post #118 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,440
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheory View Post
I might have you mixed up with someone else; but aren't you a person who watches a fair amount of pornography (per your contributions to other threads). Not a Christian pastime, right?
Try again. I've had lots of debates about pornagraphy, including why it's normal, appealing, and difficult for people to resist. I don't believe in villainizing people for their sexual desires, regardless of how "right" or "wrong" they are. I actually do not watch a "fair amount of pornagraphy", even though I've watched more in the past, and once in a blue moon will still indulge. I've however never been a major porn watcher in my life.

No it's not a Christian pastime, but I'm not about to pretend that all my behavior lines up with "Christian pastimes". I've never been that type.


Quote:
Originally Posted by intheory View Post
But if it is you; isn't that an example of how religion doesn't really have power to transform us into biblical, Godly people?

So, although changedbeliefs is coming on strong. He does have a lot of points about religion being kind of pointless and all in the "mind of the beholder", if you will.
"Religion" doesn't change anything. I never said it did. I believe a relationship with God does, as I've seen in my own life, and the lives of countless others. However never once did I suggest people were perfect because of "religion", or that a relationship with God magically just made one's life perfect. One's behavior and one's spiritual state aren't the same thing.

If you'd like to know what I believe, and have a discussion about that, ask. Don't assume. Honestly, based off all our exchanges, I expected so much more of you than this kind of low balling.

As far as you, him, or anyone believing a relationship with a higher power is "pointless"? That matters not to me. That's your choice. But I don't argue about my relationship with Christ anymore than I'd argue with somebody telling me my relationship with my wife, parents, family or friends was "pointless". Why would I debate the existence of someone important to me simply because they aren't important, or even exist, to you?

Last edited by jaquen; 02-10-2015 at 03:02 AM.
jaquen is online now  
post #119 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 508
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanHub View Post
He is not representing my God.
Posted via Mobile Device
Read the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Some posters are projecting and thinking in extremes. New flash; good people will get along with good people no matter their religious beliefs. Extremist will only get along with those who think exactly like they do.
Even the most basic Christian believes that I am going to hell, that I will, and deserve to, suffer in eternal torture and hellfire because I don't believe in their god. That is, in fact, a very basic barrier to our getting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
But you can't really prove that God does not exist and I don't have to prove to you that God does exist. We can respect that we have different ways of seeing the world.
Understand, that the person who believes in the imaginary thing needs to prove it exists. You cannot 'dream up' something and then shift the burden on those who don't believe to prove you wrong, a common logical fallacy employed by believers. Prove to me unicorns don't exist. Look up Russell's Teapot. Yes, we CAN respect different worldviews, but I am under no obligation to actually do so. Realize, that is distinct from respecting A PERSON. I respect PEOPLE, their right to life and happiness. I don't, and don't have to, respect the notion of shutting down critical thinking and believing an imaginary being is puppet-stringing the world. You can feel disrespected all you want, and even take offense, but so what. I'm offended when people tell me I'm going to hell, you think that changes their mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConanHub View Post
It's ok Pooh. If anyone is being propelled by some "strange" voice or force, it is him.

He has expertly declared the vast, overwhelming majority of the earth insane. He doesn't seem too happy or balanced, at least not in his posts.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know why you keep heading down this path, convincing yourself I'm not happy, or "balanced"? Talk about judgmental. I have never opined on someone's personal mental stability. My "asylum" analogy was just that, an analogy. Maybe you should try to understand it. Maybe watch the videos I posted. I AM propelled by a strange voice? What voice is that, exactly? My own reasoning and thought, instead of agreeing with some mass mentality or a book that's supposedly written by illiterate authors? Atheists are the fastest growing "religous" group (that is, people are abandoning religion more than embracing any type). The fact that most of the world believes in a god lends NO proof to it being true. At one point, the majority of the world thought the earth was flat. You're all proving my point: I do not buy into an imaginary being, and you're directly calling into question my own happiness and mental state. I am restricting myself to provable reality, and I'm the "sad whacko," or something?

This woman's marriage is doomed, and this is why.
changedbeliefs is offline  
post #120 of 207 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 165
Re: My husband has recently become religious and I'm sooo not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post

But people have changed too. I mean in the Hebrew Bible people were fighting over territory and there was a my God is better than your God sort of stuff was going on. But everybody believed in a God or Goddess.
And now, all three major religions agree on the name of that god, and they are simply warring over who was the true prophet.

We've progressed so far.
frootloop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excuse the novel. Husband is in too deep into a local religious group. whatever1 General Relationship Discussion 61 07-02-2012 04:05 PM
Recently found out husband cheated on me and still had pictures of the women Jeanna Coping with Infidelity 5 05-19-2012 06:05 AM
Recently (today) separated from controlling/abusive husband and I'm miseable CaliGirl Going Through Divorce or Separation 6 04-09-2012 05:54 AM
Sooo confused.... Confusion&Hurt Coping with Infidelity 5 09-05-2008 02:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome