My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
Sex in Marriage Sexual problems are common in many relationships. This section is for discussions about sexuality. Please limit discussions to those asking for help with a problem and those offering advice. Any other threads may be deleted.

User Tag List

 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 05:23 AM
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 18,011
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaGurl View Post
I appreciate your response greatly! But I'm confused about 2 things:
What is BTDT
I am curious why you feel that I'm dysfunctional? I feel the only thing I'm guilty of honestly is hanging On to hope and grieving for what we had. I have done everything I could to help him past his anger and pain. He just grew up in a very unhealthy environment. I want it better but I've been saying that for way too long!
Not being defensive just want clarification since you are second one to post that we are dysfunctional.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BTDT means Been There! Done That! As in "Oh, the same stuff that happened to me is happening to you, huh?"

I think there are obviously issues that are impacting on you both.

My recommendation is that you have counselling/therapy as individuals and as a couple and that your boyfriend gets medical help for his problems.

http://mygeneralblog1.blogspot.co.uk
http://mygeneralblog1.blogspot.co.uk...-cheaters.html (Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGirl View Post
Has he been to see a doctor? He might have some kind of issue, like low T. Him having zero interest in sex sounds like a medical issue.


We went to dr and got his testosterone levels checked and they said it's ok a 413 but how do we know if that's not low for him? Idk
He also has been having chronic severe back pain for the last four years . Just had an MRI and dr said 2 bulging discs and 2 pinched nerves. He says it might be daily pain but I don't know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NolaGurl is online now  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: new england usa
Posts: 168
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

you need to face reality. He no longer has a good sex drive. It is not going to change.

What happens next is up to you. If you are sexual, and need sex more than once every few months, dump him NOW.
If there is any chance that you can become asexual, then sure, keep dating him.

Clear cut decision.
Talker67 is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaGurl View Post
We went to dr and got his testosterone levels checked and they said it's ok a 413 but how do we know if that's not low for him? Idk
He also has been having chronic severe back pain for the last four years . Just had an MRI and dr said 2 bulging discs and 2 pinched nerves. He says it might be daily pain but I don't know.
413 is a little above average for a healthy man between 85-100 years old. (Vermeulen et al., 1996)

Go to another doctor. Start with an endocrinologist. If you don't get any satisfaction, then keep looking. The total testosterone level (ng/dL) is a good indicator, but many men at the low end of normal have a very strong sex drive, while many at the high end of normal have low sex drive. The right number is the one that feels right to your man. Your man has a very low level.

Most general practitioners are notoriously inept when it comes to such evaluations. Like I said, go first to an endocrinologist, and keep looking until you find one who will address the issue. As a last resort, go to a "men's health" clinic.

Is your man overweight? Does he eat healthy? Does he exercise almost daily? Low T is often caused by an unhealthy body/lifestyle, although numbers as low as you've posted are often a combination of genetics and an unhealthy lifestyle.

One warning: If your man is prescribed exogenous testosterone, he will most likely become infertile. His body will shut down what little he is producing naturally, because the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Testicular Axis is bypassed. There are ways around this, but I don't want to derail the thread any more than I already have.
Dr. Stupid is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Stupid View Post
413 is a little above average for a healthy man between 85-100 years old. (Vermeulen et al., 1996)



Go to another doctor. Start with an endocrinologist. If you don't get any satisfaction, then keep looking. The total testosterone level (ng/dL) is a good indicator, but many men at the low end of normal have a very strong sex drive, while many at the high end of normal have low sex drive. The right number is the one that feels right to your man. Your man has a very low level.



Most general practitioners are notoriously inept when it comes to such evaluations. Like I said, go first to an endocrinologist, and keep looking until you find one who will address the issue. As a last resort, go to a "men's health" clinic.



Is your man overweight? Does he eat healthy? Does he exercise almost daily? Low T is often caused by an unhealthy body/lifestyle, although numbers as low as you've posted are often a combination of genetics and an unhealthy lifestyle.



One warning: If your man is prescribed exogenous testosterone, he will most likely become infertile. His body will shut down what little he is producing naturally, because the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Testicular Axis is bypassed. There are ways around this, but I don't want to derail the thread any more than I already have.


Wow! Thank you for your informative and helpful reply! I thought that his level was low but they told us it was fine.
He is definitely over weight and not eating healthy!! He has back pain. And back issues which make him not want to exercise and eat emotionally!!
Well, time for more dr appts is suppose!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NolaGurl is online now  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Tron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,861
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Your SO has T levels on the low side. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on this and T levels for men in their 30's and 40's should be in the 700 to 800 range. With them gradually decreasing as you get older (5 to 10 points or so per year after 50).

Is he taking pain killers or opiates for his back pain? I will tell you that back pain and disk problems can definitely kill sex drive. Taking pain killers will also kill sex drive.

Your SO has a bunch of things going against him right now. Unhealthy, overweight, bad diet, back problems, constant pain, low T...He needs a lifestyle overhaul.
Tron is online now  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Your SO has T levels on the low side. I've been doing quite a bit of reading up on this and T levels for men in their 30's and 40's should be in the 700 to 800 range. With them gradually decreasing as you get older (5 to 10 points or so per year after 50).



Is he taking pain killers or opiates for his back pain? I will tell you that back pain and disk problems can definitely kill sex drive. Taking pain killers will also kill sex drive.



Your SO has a bunch of things going against him right now. Unhealthy, overweight, bad diet, back problems, constant pain, low T...He needs a lifestyle overhaul.


He absolutely does! But I can't be the one to make that happen! He needs to make that happen and I think he's mentally to distraught to think of such big changes. Because as we all know big changes are HARD. And he can't handle anything that's difficult... a conversation, conflict, restraint, anything out of his comfort zone! Which I'm guessing is a part of his depression or mental instability! My problem, I'm ready to move on! I'm so frustrated! I have talked to him calmly about this so many times and he knows there is an issue but does nothing but say I don't know what to do:/ I feel like I'm wasting my life waiting for someone to fix things that may never fix!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NolaGurl is online now  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Oh and he just recently starting on pain Meds so doubt that's it. But others have told me the back pain could be the issue. And again thank you for the T levels information. I will use this to maybe get him to the dr


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NolaGurl is online now  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

I appreciate everyone's input and help! I'm thinking I need to move on, I'm unhappy and he doesn't even see it! I'm hurting so bad... if I didn't have kids I would run so far away!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NolaGurl is online now  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 95
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaGurl View Post
Ok here goes nothing.... I am new here but I have been looking for a place to help me. I don't really have anyone to talk to about things.
A little background... we have been together for 4+years. It been a struggle to say the least! We have broken up a few times because in the beginning he was extremely jealous, would get mad if we didn't have sex when he wanted to but had no idea how to initiate it, anger issues, passive aggressive, and mood swings.
Well, the last time we broke up which was 2 thanksgivings ago we got back together because I couldn't stand seeing him with another woman. I called him he left her and came back and been here ever since. We are best friends, when we are good we are amazing! But when we are bf we are awful! Our main issue ....COMMUNICATION! He will not talk about ANYTHING!
But to get to the point about a 2 years ago he went on Prozac for 9 months, he got off of them suddenly and ever since he has completely lost his sex drive but that's not all! He was only on these meds 9 months and currently been off of them for over a year and there is no romance, no gentle touch, no real feelings, no sex, no jealous (and a I mentioned he was insanely irrationally jealous), no more passion for anything.
We have had multiple arguments because we cant even talk about things cause like I said he won't! He admits and knows his is not giving me what I need sexually, mentally, physically which makes him with withdraw even more. But I can't deal much longer! I want to fix things but I can't and he just says he doesn't know how to fix it! When I ask him why? Or what should we do or what do u feel the answer is always the same... I Don't know!
We have been to dr., chevked blood work testosterone, and nothing!
Any input? I'm at a complete loss

And just want to add once a month or so he will give in but it's like he's doing my a favor! I don't want it like that! I want him to love me and crave me like he did before all of this happened!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read the below.

Many antidepressants, including Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Effexor (venlafaxine), Lexapro (escitalopram) and Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), can cause sexual side effects. Some studies have found that one-third to two-thirds of patients taking such drugs may experience lower libido, reduced arousal and delayed climax. Some complain of genital “anesthesia” and orgasm without pleasure.
Although many doctors assume that such side effects will disappear shortly after people discontinue their antidepressants, that may not always be true. One review of case reports concluded that certain antidepressants “can cause long-term effects on all aspects of the sexual response cycle that may persist after they are discontinued” (Journal of Sexual Medicine, Jan. 2008).

How do you and him respond going forward?

My guess, would be to give him Testosterone injections for a month or two to get him back in the groove. Do not go much more timewise than this. His body will shut down it's own testosterone production. Good luck in finding a doctor to prescribe it. Your best bet would be a Primary Care Provider, or General Practitioner. Explain to them the whys and reasons. Tell them that this will be a temporary prescription.
ulyssesheart is online now  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 382
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Although, my circumstances are different, I see some similarities. I have lost my sex drive. I masturbate rarely and only to make sure it still works. For most of my life, I wanted sex all the time. I constantly thought about sex. For me, I have lost hope in life ever being fulfilling in my relationship. It's probably partly depression and partly the result of years of rejection, but many SSRIs can affect sex drive and bupropion didn't seem to do much for me. I have had my testosterone monitored closely for 2 years now and my T levels are good, 600-700. Personally, I didn't notice much difference in sex drive between 300 and 700. From the way people talk about it, you'd think testosterone turns a man into a sex fiend. Well, I can tell you it isn't that simple.

Does he have erections in the morning? Does he get an erection when you touch him?

Given the situation, I think you should try to build up his ego. Make him feel desired and wanted. Be flirty, sexy, and take what you want with confidence. Maybe act out one of his fantasies. I think you need to re-ignite the pilot light and he may get back into it.
wantshelp is online now  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 382
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesheart View Post
Read the below.

Many antidepressants, including Prozac (fluoxetine) ... can cause sexual side effects.

...

My guess, would be to give him Testosterone injections for a month or two to get him back in the groove. Do not go much more timewise than this. His body will shut down it's own testosterone production. Good luck in finding a doctor to prescribe it. Your best bet would be a Primary Care Provider, or General Practitioner. Explain to them the whys and reasons. Tell them that this will be a temporary prescription.
You know your stuff...

Yeah, if you continue to inject testosterone, your body stops producing it's own T and your balls shrink. A month or two might be ok, but there will be a drop in T levels when he comes off of it. If he goes on T therapy, he needs to know that there is a chance he won't be able to get off of it and maintain the benefits. Also, it will impact his fertility if you take it for a year or more. And his T levels will be lower than ever then when he comes off. So, if T-Levels are the problem, if he can't get through the period of lower T-Levels, he might have to get on it for a longer period. My doctor raised my T-Levels with Clomid and Anastrazole. This preserves fertility by stimulating your own body to produce testosterone. So your testicles actually produce more natural T. But, it is not approved by the FDA for use in men. Also, it raises estrogen whenever you increase T (through all methods), so you have to monitor with regular blood tests. My doctor controls the estrogen with a second drug called Anastrazole. You can read here.

Bottom line is that I agree that he should get tested for Low T. But, don't expect this to be a magic bullet, unless his T Levels are very low. If they are low, consult a good doctor that fully understands the endocrinology and can prescribe something that works for your circumstance. But, I think he is depressed.
wantshelp is online now  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Moderator
 
MattMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: England
Posts: 18,011
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talker67 View Post
you need to face reality. He no longer has a good sex drive. It is not going to change.

What happens next is up to you. If you are sexual, and need sex more than once every few months, dump him NOW.
If there is any chance that you can become asexual, then sure, keep dating him.

Clear cut decision.
That's not true.

http://mygeneralblog1.blogspot.co.uk
http://mygeneralblog1.blogspot.co.uk...-cheaters.html (Be afraid UK cheaters! CheaterVille has come to the UK!
MattMatt is online now  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssesheart View Post
Read the below.

Many antidepressants, including Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), Zoloft (sertraline), Celexa (citalopram), Effexor (venlafaxine), Lexapro (escitalopram) and Pristiq (desvenlafaxine), can cause sexual side effects. Some studies have found that one-third to two-thirds of patients taking such drugs may experience lower libido, reduced arousal and delayed climax. Some complain of genital “anesthesia” and orgasm without pleasure.
Although many doctors assume that such side effects will disappear shortly after people discontinue their antidepressants, that may not always be true. One review of case reports concluded that certain antidepressants “can cause long-term effects on all aspects of the sexual response cycle that may persist after they are discontinued” (Journal of Sexual Medicine, Jan. 2008).

How do you and him respond going forward?

My guess, would be to give him Testosterone injections for a month or two to get him back in the groove. Do not go much more timewise than this. His body will shut down it's own testosterone production. Good luck in finding a doctor to prescribe it. Your best bet would be a Primary Care Provider, or General Practitioner. Explain to them the whys and reasons. Tell them that this will be a temporary prescription.
Results from TRT generally take a minimum of 3 months to become apparent. It depends many, many factors, which I will not bore everyone with here.

PCPs and GPs don't generally understand TRT, and generally take the "1 shot every 2 weeks" approach, when the half-life of a testosterone injection (cypionate or ethanate, generally) is around 8 days. In addition, it usually takes 24-36 hours for the shot to become effective. Also, the large quantity of testosterone that is injected also causes an upswing in estrogen in the man's body, due to the action of a adrenal enzyme called aromatase on such a cycle, and unfortunately, estrogen survives longer than testosterone. The more out of shape a man is, the more testosterone is converted. This leads to a feeling of well-being for around 6 days, followed by a gradual loss of that feeling as the testosterone levels decrease while the elevated estrogen levels remain. The man then takes another shot, and the cycle starts over. You don't want your man on an emotional rollercoaster, and that's why you don't want to put that in the hands of a PCP or GP.

PCPs and GPs are great for so many medical issues, but there are very few who understand the balancing of hormones that men and women who are imbalanced need.

Seriously OP, get a referral to an endocrinologist, and there's nothing wrong with shopping until you find the one who knows what he's doing. That is, if you're willing to hang in there in the attempt to get your man "fixed". I can totally understand if you're fed up and ready to throw in the towel, but it's my opinion that you should experience your man as a man first, instead experiencing him as a tired, old, man.
Dr. Stupid is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Re: My SO hasn't had a sex drive in over a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantshelp View Post
You know your stuff...

Yeah, if you continue to inject testosterone, your body stops producing it's own T and your balls shrink. A month or two might be ok, but there will be a drop in T levels when he comes off of it. If he goes on T therapy, he needs to know that there is a chance he won't be able to get off of it and maintain the benefits. Also, it will impact his fertility if you take it for a year or more. And his T levels will be lower than ever then when he comes off. So, if T-Levels are the problem, if he can't get through the period of lower T-Levels, he might have to get on it for a longer period. My doctor raised my T-Levels with Clomid and Anastrazole. This preserves fertility by stimulating your own body to produce testosterone. So your testicles actually produce more natural T. But, it is not approved by the FDA for use in men. Also, it raises estrogen whenever you increase T (through all methods), so you have to monitor with regular blood tests. My doctor controls the estrogen with a second drug called Anastrazole. You can read here.

Bottom line is that I agree that he should get tested for Low T. But, don't expect this to be a magic bullet, unless his T Levels are very low. If they are low, consult a good doctor that fully understands the endocrinology and can prescribe something that works for your circumstance. But, I think he is depressed.
This is very good advice! Once again, I'd like to mention that a month or two of TRT (testosterone injections) will do more harm than good. TRT is a long-term therapy. Bodybuilders would say otherwise, but they're not doing TRT. They pump massive amounts of testosterone into their bodies for a short amount of time, along with other steroids, and then have to recover afterwards with other drug therapies. This is two different uses of testosterone, each with a different objective. Most bodybuilders already produce enough T on their own. They're augmenting that with exogenous T injections, and they generally do not shut down their own production, due to the short cycles that they follow.

Clomid, combined with an aromatase inhibitor (such as Anastrozole or Aromasin) is a very good course of action (as you are personally aware), and I've seen great results in patients subscribed to this therapy. Unfortunately, as you've noted, it's not an FDA approved use of the drugs in question.
Dr. Stupid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newlyweds - no sex life MardyPardy Sex in Marriage 19 11-05-2016 04:33 PM
at a loss husband will not have sex with me lostandhelpless Sex in Marriage 328 08-03-2016 08:33 AM
Different sex drives Spicy General Relationship Discussion 25 06-30-2016 12:11 AM
Lack of sex and intimacy Raveslave Sex in Marriage 18 03-10-2016 08:10 PM
What to do? Ray83 Sex in Marriage 32 12-31-2015 10:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome