British TV shows - Page 6 - Talk About Marriage
The Social Spot Talk About Whatever.

User Tag List

 98Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #76 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,696
Re: British TV shows

Ripper Street

Starstarfish is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #77 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,163
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
Mrs Brown's Boys, which is an Irish programme, but because RTE got frightened, is being made by the BBC.

Also, Father Ted, another Irish programme made by Britain's Channel 4.

The IT Crowd, about an IT department.
Father Ted! Yes!

Father Ted.

The greatest damned comedy to come from the Commonwealth. I pissd myself the first time I watched it. It broke my heart when Dermot Morgan passed away so suddenly.

Feck!

Last edited by bandit.45; 08-28-2016 at 05:45 PM.
bandit.45 is offline  
post #78 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,163
Re: British TV shows

I loved all the Grenada productions. The Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett will NEVER be matched. Benedict is cool, but Jeremy was the most badass Holmes of them all. There will never be an actor who encapsulated Doyle's character so faithfully and realistically. Brett was the best and will always be the best Holmes.
bandit.45 is offline  
 
post #79 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:01 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,163
Re: British TV shows

All Creatures Great and Small.
bandit.45 is offline  
post #80 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Member
 
MrsAldi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,357
Re: British TV shows

I didn't see it mentioned here but...
Gimme Gimme Gimme
was a great show.
Kathy Burke was amazing in that!


Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk
MrsAldi is offline  
post #81 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: British TV shows

I can't remember if these have been mentioned....

'Would I Lie to You'

and the ever so popular 'Gavin & Stacey'

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #82 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: British TV shows

I quite enjoyed 'Witless' recently too.

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #83 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM
Member
 
heartsbeating's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Batcave
Posts: 7,168
Re: British TV shows

Smithy and Rudi rap - Gavin & Stacey

Music belongs in a place with hearts beating and brains dreaming and people falling in love. - J.Buckley
heartsbeating is offline  
post #84 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Member
 
PhillyGuy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Not Philly
Posts: 2,791
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
All Creatures Great and Small.
Wow I haven't thought of this show in 30 years. Used to watch it with my dad...
Posted via Mobile Device

My story: After a night on the town with him, wife exchanged inappropriate texts with her former boss.

http://talkaboutmarriage.com/coping-...-she-road.html
PhillyGuy13 is offline  
post #85 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,163
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy13 View Post
Wow I haven't thought of this show in 30 years. Used to watch it with my dad...
Posted via Mobile Device
I became a Robert Hardy (Siegfried) fan after that. I love that guy.

bandit.45 is offline  
post #86 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Member
 
bandit.45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 17,163
Re: British TV shows

I'll start a fight here....

First off: on the whole I think British actors are much more well-rounded and skillful than American actors, mainly because they are required to learn stage work and Shakespeare. American actors, it seems, just have to be pretty and they can manage to get a job. There are some outstanding American actors out there, but they are becoming the exception to the rule.

What I do feel is inequitable is that Hollywood is openly Anglophile, and has been for many years. British and Aussie actors are highly valued in Hollywood and on Broadway and get many of the cream roles. However, such is not the case in England, where American actors, (even those who are graduates from RADA or Central) are shunned by British agents, theaters and television. I have read where American ex-pat actors in England are not recruited by agents there because those agencies assume that no West End theater or TV company will hire an American, regardless of talent or skills. There is a surplus of Britiush actors already waiting, so they don't even try to push American actors for roles. .

Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the only American-born actress in London who regularly gets parts in British TV or theater, but that is only because she was raised in England and has dual citizenship.

There seems to be a "take care of our own" mentality in England that systematically excludes actors from countries outside the Commonwealth.

Am I wrong?
bandit.45 is offline  
post #87 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 05:09 AM
Member
 
NotEasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 542
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
I'll start a fight here....
No, bandit, thats not your style...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
First off: on the whole I think British actors are much more well-rounded and skillful than American actors, mainly because they are required to learn stage work and Shakespeare. American actors, it seems, just have to be pretty and they can manage to get a job. There are some outstanding American actors out there, but they are becoming the exception to the rule.
Yes, the high quality of British actors is part of what makes so many British TV shows so good. And probably stage work and Shakespeare are keeping the quality high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
What I do feel is inequitable is that Hollywood is openly Anglophile, and has been for many years. British and Aussie actors are highly valued in Hollywood and on Broadway and get many of the cream roles. However, such is not the case in England, where American actors, (even those who are graduates from RADA or Central) are shunned by British agents, theaters and television. I have read where American ex-pat actors in England are not recruited by agents there because those agencies assume that no West End theater or TV company will hire an American, regardless of talent or skills. There is a surplus of Britiush actors already waiting, so they don't even try to push American actors for roles. .
I can't really comment on this, but as an Aussie I see a similar problem. Actors here often complain about the number of American actors brought over to headline big Aussie movies. Their names are needed to sell the movie in America. Yes many Aussie actors go to Hollywood, but here they say it is because they can't easily get lead roles in big movies here.
They used to dream of going back to the mother country and appearing on the London stage or in a British TV show. Now their dream is a role in an American movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the only American-born actress in London who regularly gets parts in British TV or theater, but that is only because she was raised in England and has dual citizenship.

There seems to be a "take care of our own" mentality in England that systematically excludes actors from countries outside the Commonwealth.

Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong I think, but on a technicality. I don't think the boundary is the Commonwealth, it is UK or perhaps Europe.
Part of me thinks that is a good thing. Us Aussies would probably lower the standard of British shows.
Or is that my cultural cringe showing? I can't imagine a similar thread on Aussie TV shows, it would be too short and boring.

"Life wasn't meant to be easy;
but take heart, parts of it can be delightful."
Malcolm Fraser
NotEasy is offline  
post #88 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM
Member
 
CharlieParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (n) a particular place or position.
Posts: 10,635
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
What I do feel is inequitable is that Hollywood is openly Anglophile, and has been for many years. British and Aussie actors are highly valued in Hollywood and on Broadway and get many of the cream roles.
I always that it was because the Brits will work for far less money.



Sigh, my wife gives me the speaking treatment.
CharlieParker is offline  
post #89 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 13,997
Re: British TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit.45 View Post
I'll start a fight here....

First off: on the whole I think British actors are much more well-rounded and skillful than American actors, mainly because they are required to learn stage work and Shakespeare. American actors, it seems, just have to be pretty and they can manage to get a job. There are some outstanding American actors out there, but they are becoming the exception to the rule.

What I do feel is inequitable is that Hollywood is openly Anglophile, and has been for many years. British and Aussie actors are highly valued in Hollywood and on Broadway and get many of the cream roles. However, such is not the case in England, where American actors, (even those who are graduates from RADA or Central) are shunned by British agents, theaters and television. I have read where American ex-pat actors in England are not recruited by agents there because those agencies assume that no West End theater or TV company will hire an American, regardless of talent or skills. There is a surplus of Britiush actors already waiting, so they don't even try to push American actors for roles. .

Gillian Anderson (X-Files) is the only American-born actress in London who regularly gets parts in British TV or theater, but that is only because she was raised in England and has dual citizenship.

There seems to be a "take care of our own" mentality in England that systematically excludes actors from countries outside the Commonwealth.

Am I wrong?
It's always been a caste system there. It is why there is a US of A.


Remember, those actors are just playing their parts as they would for a US born and educated character in many films.

The same with English actors.

I don't think Gillian Anderson is a good actor. Neither is her ex partner from the X-Files.

They are both a bit stone-faced and unemotional.

"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson

"And this, too, shall pass away."
2ntnuf is offline  
post #90 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
rockon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: land of liquid sunshine (Florida)
Posts: 782
Re: British TV shows

I discovered a quirky but very funny Brit show called Detectorists.
It's about an amateur metal detector club searching for lost loot.
Season 1 is on Netflix but season 2 can be found on You Tube.
Funny, funny show.

Edit: Detectorists season 2 in on Netflix.

Last edited by rockon; 10-03-2016 at 03:29 PM.
rockon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Husband only shows intimacy when he wants sex macey8 Sex in Marriage 37 03-21-2017 11:34 PM
How did superhero movies/tv shows get to be so popular? southbound The Social Spot 18 03-31-2016 09:11 PM
Triggering again.....from tv show Augusto Coping with Infidelity 14 01-21-2016 10:57 PM
Should I Care What Movies/TV Shows My Wife Watches? diogenes72 General Relationship Discussion 3 01-10-2016 04:36 AM
New website shows you how hot you are. hbk4894 The Social Spot 0 01-06-2016 03:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome