Abstinence After Marriage - Page 2 - Talk About Marriage
The Social Spot Talk About Whatever.

User Tag List

 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,488
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaDe View Post
I know this verse by heart. It doesn't say that we "should never deny our spouse sex." We are off on a rabbit trail here and I'm not going to take this thread off topic. I mentioned this because I felt the need to clarify that what you said was not correct. I'm not going to type out a theological thesis explaining why I disagree with you. Suffice it to say that I disagree with your conclusion and believe that I have good reason to do so based on interpreting scripture with scripture.
Peace.
We will agree to disagree.

Diana7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
EunuchMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 575
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaDe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana7
1 cor 7 v 5
Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won't be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

I know this verse by heart. It doesn't say that we "should never deny our spouse sex." We are off on a rabbit trail here and I'm not going to take this thread off topic. I mentioned this because I felt the need to clarify that what you said was not correct. I'm not going to type out a theological thesis explaining why I disagree with you. Suffice it to say that I disagree with your conclusion and believe that I have good reason to do so based on interpreting scripture with scripture.
Peace.
No thread jack at all. The title says "Abstinence After Marriage" so I think this is within the subject. Fire away.

Even if I don't get likes for it, I'm still going to say it.
EunuchMonk is offline  
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Forum Supporter
 
Haiku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 3,390
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

It wouldn't work for me but it apparently does for them.

At least they say they don't lord their lifestyle over others. That works for me.

.........><)))#">
Haiku is offline  
 
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Member
 
2ntnuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 13,997
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EunuchMonk View Post




So, you're Jeannie?!

"I'm significant!! Screamed the dust speck." - Bill Watterson

"And this, too, shall pass away."
2ntnuf is offline  
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Member
 
MJJEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MI
Posts: 2,211
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EunuchMonk View Post
No thread jack at all. The title says "Abstinence After Marriage" so I think this is within the subject. Fire away.
Ok.

My faith teaches that sex within marriage is sacred. We are uniting with God in the possible creation of new life. It's taught that marital sex is a renewal of the vows. In other words, sex is good!

My church reads a different version of the Bible, so our phrasing of 1 Cor 7 is slightly different, but very close. It's been interpreted to mean that denying a spouse sex without good reason is a sin. Good reason generally defined as pain, exhaustion, illness, post adultery, in cases of abuse, to avoid pregnancy...common sense stuff.

Now, there is what is commonly called a "Josephite marriage". If both spouses are in agreement on indefinite celibacy after consummation, it's not sinful. However, if one spouse wants to resume sexual relations, the other would be sinning to deny without good reason.

Having good reason to deny is not a blank check, either. For example, say Wife wanted to have sex with Husband, but Husband had erectile dysfunction and denied her. Husband would be obligated to seek medical attention and do everything reasonably possible to correct the problem and resume sex with Wife.

Follow the evidence where it leads and question everything.
MJJEAN is online now  
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,494
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJEAN View Post
Ok.

My faith teaches that sex within marriage is sacred. We are uniting with God in the possible creation of new life. It's taught that marital sex is a renewal of the vows. In other words, sex is good!

My church reads a different version of the Bible, so our phrasing of 1 Cor 7 is slightly different, but very close. It's been interpreted to mean that denying a spouse sex without good reason is a sin. Good reason generally defined as pain, exhaustion, illness, post adultery, in cases of abuse, to avoid pregnancy...common sense stuff.

Now, there is what is commonly called a "Josephite marriage". If both spouses are in agreement on indefinite celibacy after consummation, it's not sinful. However, if one spouse wants to resume sexual relations, the other would be sinning to deny without good reason.

Having good reason to deny is not a blank check, either. For example, say Wife wanted to have sex with Husband, but Husband had erectile dysfunction and denied her. Husband would be obligated to seek medical attention and do everything reasonably possible to correct the problem and resume sex with Wife.
I love it when you talk dirty.lol.
Andy1001 is offline  
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 07:02 PM
Member
 
MJJEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MI
Posts: 2,211
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1001 View Post
I love it when you talk dirty.lol.
If only you knew! IRL, being raised by construction workers and all, I can make a sailor blush.

Follow the evidence where it leads and question everything.
MJJEAN is online now  
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
EunuchMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 575
Re: Abstinence After Marriage

I heard the puritans everyone always uses as a paragon of prudishness used to excommunicate church members that weren't intimate with their spouse, at least some of the Puritan churches. Obviously, they would talk to the couple first to find out why the marriage was sexless and try to help them but if it continued, the offending spouse was placed on church discipline.

Even if I don't get likes for it, I'm still going to say it.
EunuchMonk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meaning of Marriage DosXXMan Long Term Success in Marriage 57 12-03-2016 06:49 AM
Is my marriage finished? There is something seriously wrong. marriagetalk General Relationship Discussion 34 06-17-2016 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome