Tub choices - Page 7
 Talk About Marriage
  The Marriage Advice and Relationship Help Forums
  right
Forums - For Therapists - Link to Us - Advertise  

    A Public Forum Provided by The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory
Register FAQ Community Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Talk About Marriage »Off Topic »The Social Spot » Tub choices

The Social Spot Talk About Whatever.

Like Tree9Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_t!me iz_best View Post
hmmm.

i will tell you this.
i did my living room and dining room in bamboo.
looks awesome when its new.
we got that because we were told it was about the hardest wood and some of the best for flooring in high traffic.
IT IS CRAP!!!
it scratches very easily.
mine is only a few years old and it has scratches and deep gouges all over it.

being porous as bamboo is, i would really check if it wouldnt swell quite a bit being in a humid area.
Yeah, it wasn't my first choice at all. The only people to use this bathroom will be H and I, so I think I'm okay with it. We are going to keep our eyes out for slate between now and the time we lay it. And I know the warranty voids if laid in a bathroom I don't know... Certainly something to think about, that and the fact that the rest of our home is oak flooring. I don't know.

TG - we don't have a garage or that might be something to consider...
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #92 (permalink)
Member
 
Therealbrighteyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,647
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
The whole house is just single level, stand alone.

Budget wise, it's tight, looking to do the whole thing for right around $1500. Figure the tub won't be but around $200 (many choices in standard anyway at that price), the vanity and fixtures will be the splurge ($700-800). Hubby is making the vanity mirror out of cedar (picked up a large mirror for $5)! We already have flooring (solid wood bamboo - I know, wood in a bathroom?! But we picked it up at Lowes on clearance for right around .40/sq ft, total of $30, and at that price if we have to tear it out in ten years, we'll be okay and the toilet, maybe $100, unless we find it on clearance too. Our plumbing will be free, aside from cost for materials (a friend of ours is a plumber)... So all in all - flooring being laid is free, plumbing being ran is free and we also have a friend that does electrical... We'll get a discount on that anyway.

When we redid our kitchen, we got all of the appliances on clearance at Lowe's for $800 total and sold our existing appliances for $400. Our flooring, countertops (used marble tile) and backsplash came to about $300... So if the math is correct, we did our entire kitchen for $700!!! (minus cabinets).

(I'm beginning to feel like a Lowe's spokesperson )
Okay I was about to go when you said $1500 but seeing that you have a plumber friend and an electrician friend and your husband is a flooring guy, it is totally doable.
If your budget is $1500, I would REALLY stick with a standard tub. I would. I am sure since you are a Lowe's (awesome btw) addict, standard tubs have come a long way. They have curves, grooves and contours. They aren't the tubs of the past, they are sexy!
Here's an idea and a splurge but since you are getting the plumbing/electrical/floor work for free plus the amazing deal you got on the flooring what about a tub "surround"? All the fronts of the tub could be fitted with marble. Since these days granite is the stone of choice, marble is much cheaper and frankly more elegant, especially for a bathroom. Talk about a spa like feel. Add in a great waterfall fixture and it is spa time. Thoughts?
Therealbrighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Therealbrighteyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,647
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_t!me iz_best View Post
hmmm.

i will tell you this.
i did my living room and dining room in bamboo.
looks awesome when its new.
we got that because we were told it was about the hardest wood and some of the best for flooring in high traffic.
IT IS CRAP!!!
it scratches very easily.
mine is only a few years old and it has scratches and deep gouges all over it.

being porous as bamboo is, i would really check if it wouldnt swell quite a bit being in a humid area.
Did you seal it? Yes, it SAYS it is sealed but did you seal it after laying it down?
Therealbrighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #94 (permalink)
Member
 
2nd_t!me iz_best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Off to Never Never Land
Posts: 4,280
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealbrighteyes View Post
Did you seal it? Yes, it SAYS it is sealed but did you seal it after laying it down?
yes ma'am.

its just a lot softer than they claimed.
2nd_t!me iz_best is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #95 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therealbrighteyes View Post
Okay I was about to go when you said $1500 but seeing that you have a plumber friend and an electrician friend and your husband is a flooring guy, it is totally doable.
If your budget is $1500, I would REALLY stick with a standard tub. I would. I am sure since you are a Lowe's (awesome btw) addict, standard tubs have come a long way. They have curves, grooves and contours. They aren't the tubs of the past, they are sexy!
Here's an idea and a splurge but since you are getting the plumbing/electrical/floor work for free plus the amazing deal you got on the flooring what about a tub "surround"? All the fronts of the tub could be fitted with marble. Since these days granite is the stone of choice, marble is much cheaper and frankly more elegant, especially for a bathroom. Talk about a spa like feel. Add in a great waterfall fixture and it is spa time. Thoughts?
I'm a slate person I LOVE slate, we have it in our kitchen (cali gold) and another bathroom (black), it keeps with the temperature of the room and it doesn't show dirt (with kids, you know what a plus that is!). There is a marble (st. croix I think) that is beautiful and if we could ever find it at a deal we'd snatch it up.

I finally told my H I wanted to go with a standard tub, he balked at the idea, but I had to remind him it is MY retreat. And I personally value the floor space in a bathroom over a crowded feel with a larger tub.

Once it's completed, I'm gonna post a pic. (of course it's gotta get started first too).
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_t!me iz_best View Post
hmmm.

i will tell you this.
i did my living room and dining room in bamboo.
looks awesome when its new.
we got that because we were told it was about the hardest wood and some of the best for flooring in high traffic.
IT IS CRAP!!!
it scratches very easily.
mine is only a few years old and it has scratches and deep gouges all over it.

being porous as bamboo is, i would really check if it wouldnt swell quite a bit being in a humid area.
I did the exact same thing. I have two Golden Retrievers and they made the floor look 20 years old in about two months.
Bamboo is beautiful, but I will never use it again.
DanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
I did the exact same thing. I have two Golden Retrievers and they made the floor look 20 years old in about two months.
Bamboo is beautiful, but I will never use it again.
Not helping Like I said, it will only be my H and I using this bathroom. I'm still reading about hardwood in bathrooms, not promising literature by any means... But at the cost we got it and with my H laying it, if it serves it's purpose for at least 10 years, we'll be alright with that (does have 25 yr warranty that voids if laid in a bathroom)... By then, perhaps we will have come across the black or desert raja slate that I really want at a price we can afford. I hope.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #98 (permalink)
Member
 
2nd_t!me iz_best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Off to Never Never Land
Posts: 4,280
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Not helping Like I said, it will only be my H and I using this bathroom. I'm still reading about hardwood in bathrooms, not promising literature by any means... But at the cost we got it and with my H laying it, if it serves it's purpose for at least 10 years, we'll be alright with that (does have 25 yr warranty that voids if laid in a bathroom)... By then, perhaps we will have come across the black or desert raja slate that I really want at a price we can afford. I hope.
:/

good luck cherry
2nd_t!me iz_best is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #99 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

I LOVE it when I come in under budget! $220 for a steel/porcelain standard tub and a toilet (brand new, free shipping!). I'm just so flippin excited about this. Had to share Thanks!
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
2nd_t!me iz_best's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Off to Never Never Land
Posts: 4,280
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
I LOVE it when I come in under budget! $220 for a steel/porcelain standard tub and a toilet (brand new, free shipping!). I'm just so flippin excited about this. Had to share Thanks!
oh, good price there.

that should leave you enough money to get 'real' flooring then
2nd_t!me iz_best is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #101 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_t!me iz_best View Post
oh, good price there.

that should leave you enough money to get 'real' flooring then
Who'd of thunk it...? I'm not in construction. My H pointed out that the tub I just bought at a good deal was actually an over priced peice of steel! I don't know anything (well I do now..) about material for a tub! I thought porcelain over steel was similar to cast iron only lighter. Hmm. I am wrong. So I cancelled my "good" find and we are back to the drawing board... Only this time my focus is on cast iron.

And yes, we are looking for a good deal on slate tile.... IF we can get a good deal on another tub... Cast iron.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #102 (permalink)
Member
 
Therealbrighteyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,647
Default Re: Tub choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry View Post
Who'd of thunk it...? I'm not in construction. My H pointed out that the tub I just bought at a good deal was actually an over priced peice of steel! I don't know anything (well I do now..) about material for a tub! I thought porcelain over steel was similar to cast iron only lighter. Hmm. I am wrong. So I cancelled my "good" find and we are back to the drawing board... Only this time my focus is on cast iron.

And yes, we are looking for a good deal on slate tile.... IF we can get a good deal on another tub... Cast iron.
Posted via Mobile Device
What's wrong with enamel over steel? I have never priced out tubs, but it sounds like a bargain.
Therealbrighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #103 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

Apparently quality, and something about them being loud and not durable for the long haul... I did read up on it after he explained it to me... It makes sense to me anyway... There is a tub that I have my eye on but I have to wait a few weeks for it to drop into our budget. Close to the price this was.. 50 more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #104 (permalink)
Member
 
Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,161
Default Re: Tub choices

I did it! I got the tub I wanted!!! It's a huge soaking tub (can fit our whole family), cast iron. I found a pic online of what it will look like with the tile surround, can't seem to find it now (I wanted to share it with y'all).

It's hubby's fault I got it and he gets to pick it up tomorrow It has two places where the porcelain is cracked, but not where the water will be in it and we have the temp stuff to keep it from getting worse. It's a new tub, but I think when they were installing it elsewhere, it got damaged, yay for me! We got it for about 10% of the retail price because of those cracks.

I'm gonna keep looking for the pic I'm really happy we got it.
Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #105 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,262
Default Re: Tub choices

Good for you!
I'm happy for you.
DanF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad choices and finding myself teachgrl Life After Divorce 8 09-16-2012 04:54 PM
The Choices OH Makes in a LDR RainbowGirl General Relationship Discussion 4 12-05-2011 05:11 AM
Stupid Choices Stupidspouse Financial Problems in Marriage 1 06-01-2011 12:50 PM
Poor Choices minnesotasoxfan Financial Problems in Marriage 3 05-25-2011 05:07 PM
Sister's Choices... sarahdale24 The Family & Parenting Forums 2 02-05-2008 08:46 PM

Member Area

Find a Therapist:


Sponsor Ads


Sponsor Ads




Get The Family & Marriage Counseling Directory Help Guide via Email:
Name:
Email:




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.



Copyright 2007 - 2013 © Talk About Marriage

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.