DIY, Repair, advice thread - Talk About Marriage
Suggestion Box Got any suggestions or ideas that might improve this website?

User Tag List

 36Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
DIY, Repair, advice thread

I know some would suggest that this just be posted in the Social or Men's Club, but I know there are ladies on here and sometimes some interesting queries about home, computer, car, etc repairs.

Would be nice maybe in the Off Topic section to add a sub forum dealing with DIY handyman/lady stuff.

Ikaika is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Might I suggest you DIY?
Cletus is offline  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
Might I suggest you DIY?

I guess I stepped into that one didn't I.
Ikaika is offline  
 
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,509
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
I guess I stepped into that one didn't I.
Brandine: Dang, Cletus, why'd you have to park by my parents?
Cletus: Now, honey, they's my parents, too.
Cletus is offline  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Member
 
SecondTime'Round's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,212
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

I LOVE this thread as a single woman owning my own home for the first time! And seriously, you were posting this thread as I was out in my garage, and then down in the basement, thinking to myself, "How exactly do you get a basement floor CLEAN? I should ask on TAM! But would I sound like an idiot??"

So, how do you clean your basement floor? (I mean, besides a shop vac) Is there any particular method/cleaner that cleans a concrete floor? (It's not THAT dirty....the house is only 2.5 years old....but it's dirty and I'm about to organize it so I want to clean it).
SecondTime'Round is offline  
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Did you ever see the before and after of the major leak from my sons' second floor bathroom into our kitchen? Posted it at one time in Social. And, yes it was a sh!tty job literally.

But, I was able to stop the leak, then rip out the ceiling, treat the beams with anti-mold agents. Let it dry out for one and half weeks then replaced the cutout ceiling dry wall, textured and painted. I live in a household of brokanics. I have better things to do, but this I must. Today, easy, change out- a bathroom vent fan.
Ikaika is offline  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTime'Round View Post
I LOVE this thread as a single woman owning my own home for the first time! And seriously, you were posting this thread as I was out in my garage, and then down in the basement, thinking to myself, "How exactly do you get a basement floor CLEAN? I should ask on TAM! But would I sound like an idiot??"

So, how do you clean your basement floor? (I mean, besides a shop vac) Is there any particular method/cleaner that cleans a concrete floor? (It's not THAT dirty....the house is only 2.5 years old....but it's dirty and I'm about to organize it so I want to clean it).
So here in Hawai'i no one has basements... but given your description it is just a concrete floor... is the floor bare or is there some type of covering, like paint or some epoxy, etc. Also, I don't know anything about where you live but it would be wise to get a moisture test done. That is see how much moisture seeps up from the ground to the floor. There are sealants you can put down to reduce the moisture and then cleaning will be easier as dirt is always going to be hard to remove from a constantly damp surface.
Ikaika is offline  
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:00 PM
Member
 
SecondTime'Round's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 4,212
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
So here in Hawai'i no one has basements... but given your description it is just a concrete floor... is the floor bare or is there some type of covering, like paint or some epoxy, etc. Also, I don't know anything about where you live but it would be wise to get a moisture test done. That is see how much moisture seeps up from the ground to the floor. There are sealants you can put down to reduce the moisture and then cleaning will be easier as dirt is always going to be hard to remove from a constantly damp surface.
Floor is bare, no paint or epoxy. There is some epoxy on the walls, though.

There is no moisture in this basement. I moved from a VERY wet basement, and believe me, I'd be able to tell just based on the condition of the (clumpable) litter box! There's a space in the basement where the builders just did not clean up well after pouring the foundation and mud got in, but other than that, it's dry and in good condition. Just needs a good cleaning.
SecondTime'Round is offline  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTime'Round View Post
Floor is bare, no paint or epoxy. There is some epoxy on the walls, though.



There is no moisture in this basement. I moved from a VERY wet basement, and believe me, I'd be able to tell just based on the condition of the (clumpable) litter box! There's a space in the basement where the builders just did not clean up well after pouring the foundation and mud got in, but other than that, it's dry and in good condition. Just needs a good cleaning.

I think you are best to clean it like you would any hard floor. However, when you can, you should look into covering it over with something rather than leave it bare.
Ikaika is offline  
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Member
 
Anon Pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 10,064
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

@SecondTime'Round,

First you should sweep the floor with a stiff bristled broom. This will loosen all the dirt and dust, and it will send a good portion floating into the air-but that's the point.

Wait a few hours to let the dust settle, then vacuum.

Cleaning a basement floor which is usually poured concrete and pretty smooth is an exercise in futility because even though the concrete is smooth it is porous enough that the water soaks into the floor when mopping. You can still mop and you will get some additional dirt and dust, but you will quickly find that your mop bucket is black water and you will be emptying and refilling the mop bucket a lot, thus futile to go for "kitchen floor clean."

If you really really need to have a super clean basement floor, your best bet is to either lay down some type of flooring like linoleum, or paint the floor with epoxy paint. A basement floor painted with epoxy paint has a seal so dust and dirt will mop up easily.

We just shop vac the storage part basement floor.... once every five years or so. Everything is stored in boxes to keep the dust and soot out of the contents. The rest of the basement is finished off with carpeting.

So if you want to use the basement as storage, you should lay down a flooring or keep everything in boxes.


"Some women are blessed with multi-orgasmic ability for a reason and I'm damn sure not going to waste a blessing" ~FrenchFry


"Vaginas are tricky creatures." ~Lucy999
Anon Pink is offline  
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

I'm hoping we can have a forum like this threads could be, like "Plumbing issue under the vanity" Ok no wise cracks. Speaking of cracks, that is what I am doing today, replacing the cracked screen on my wife's iPhone 6. It tumbles around with everything else she has in her purse. Mr. Got Fix It again.
Ikaika is offline  
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10,776
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
Did you ever see the before and after of the major leak from my sons' second floor bathroom into our kitchen? Posted it at one time in Social. And, yes it was a sh!tty job literally.

But, I was able to stop the leak, then rip out the ceiling, treat the beams with anti-mold agents. Let it dry out for one and half weeks then replaced the cutout ceiling dry wall, textured and painted. I live in a household of brokanics. I have better things to do, but this I must. Today, easy, change out- a bathroom vent fan.
Your home owners insurance would have covered this, why did you DIY?
Faithful Wife is offline  
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
Your home owners insurance would have covered this, why did you DIY?

I get it done faster and to my specification
Ikaika is offline  
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Member
 
Faithful Wife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 10,776
Re: DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaika View Post
I get it done faster and to my specification
But also at your own expense and effort.

Just seems odd to me. I work for a disaster restoration company. We do it all day, every day and the insurance company pays us to do it right. For example, we have to test all the materials and if there is asbestos, it gets abated correctly which is also all covered by the insurance claim. We get it done plenty fast (we have to, if we don't finish by certain timelines the adjuster will cut some of our payment).

Unless the job would have only been $1,000 or so, in that case it is sometimes not worth it to have us do it when the homeowners deductible is $500.
Faithful Wife is offline  
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17,119
DIY, Repair, advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithful Wife View Post
But also at your own expense and effort.



Just seems odd to me. I work for a disaster restoration company. We do it all day, every day and the insurance company pays us to do it right. For example, we have to test all the materials and if there is asbestos, it gets abated correctly which is also all covered by the insurance claim. We get it done plenty fast (we have to, if we don't finish by certain timelines the adjuster will cut some of our payment).



Unless the job would have only been $1,000 or so, in that case it is sometimes not worth it to have us do it when the homeowners deductible is $500.

It was $485 in supplies and my labor.
Ikaika is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on Talk About Marriage, you must first register. Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Important! Your username will be visible to the public next to anything you post and could show up in search engines like Google. If you are concerned about anonymity, PLEASE choose a username that will not be recognizable to anyone you know.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death of DIY FormerSelf The Men's Clubhouse 168 03-09-2015 08:36 PM
Have I broken this beyond repair? Indy_Cision Considering Divorce or Separation 7 11-30-2012 08:20 AM
Has anyone done a DIY divorce, specifically in Texas? Kathrynthegreat Going Through Divorce or Separation 3 06-05-2012 02:34 PM
Thoughts and advice - repair relationship or move on skitown The Ladies' Lounge 3 08-08-2011 10:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome